• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Please Fix the Pets Going Wild Bug

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Bleak @Kyronix @Mesanna

As others have described, there is still a bug where tamed, bonded, trained/training pets are going from Wonderfully Happy to Wild without warning.

This happened to me previously (and I reported it) during the Invasions at Skara Brae.

I assumed once invasions were over that the issue was no longer happening until I saw a thread mention it in the last 24 hours. Afraid to take any scrolled / fully trained pets outside of a town or closed environment, I just now thought I would instead work on training an unscrolled pet on Siege.

I took a Naja that I've had tamed for months to a dungeon. It was bonded and at 28% trained going from level 4 to level 5. The pet was fighting a caster one-on-one (no large mob like at Invasions), I was standing right beside it, and it was at full health. When it killed the monster, I commanded it to All Guard Me and All Follow Me (which I do after every kill it makes). I had just lored it and it was Wonderfully Happy. But this time, as soon as I said All Follow Me, it went wild instantly. Not from Green to Blue, but straight to Grey (Wild).

Because replacement mobs spawned while I was standing there stunned, I have not been able to re-tame it. Now I have to log off, and I consider the pet lost.

This is a critical issue. Much real money is spent on pets for store bonding potions, and much in-game gold is spent on pets for scrolls. In addition, all tamers spend a lot of time training and customizing pets up.

Can you guys acknowledge that you are tracking this issue? Or at least are planning to look at it soon? It has now been reported several times by several players.

In the meantime, I'm stoning my taming skills because I'm afraid to take any of my finished pets out for the time being.

Thanks.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They can lose loyalty fast. have to lore them and carry scooby snacks.

upload_2017-11-1_22-26-46.png

Thats from a round at Navrey. I wasn't out of sight of pet.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Bleak @Kyronix @Mesanna

Can you guys acknowledge that you are tracking this issue? Or at least are planning to look at it soon? It has now been reported several times by several players.
In order to track bugs, they need to replicate it, but you didnt give enough information.

What is your taming skill, natural and adjusted with any items.
What dungeon were you in and what were you fighting? Where were you standing?
When was the last time the pet was fed?

The more complete information people give them the better they can narrow it down.

That being said, guild of tamers who play daily, we have never once had a pet go wild. Tried to replicate it, and the only time I came close was out of line of sight.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Good points, I forget that folks run less than 120 sometimes.

My toon had 120 taming, 120 lore, 100 vet all natural skills. I had the taming mastery selected but none were running at the time.

I was fighting necro based critters (just like the last time this happened during an invasion) in an Ilsh dungeon. I was standing on the tile immediately beside my pet, in a hallway with no obstacles and direct line of sight.

When it went wild I did manage to escape to a different floor of the dungeon, honor myself, and run back down and re tame the (now unbonded) naja. However, as soon as I said All Follow Me it immediately went wild once again (straight from green to grey again) and I was SoL.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
scares the hell out of me.
have never had it happen to me though, i did however notice today i have a 5 slot cu that was 'extremely happy' so i told it to guard me, no change, told it a couple times, no change, gave it a couple other orders that it followed but was still unchanged in its happiness.
finally went to the bank and got a couple apples and fed it, poof, wonderfully happy.

strange though, have never seen that before.
persistent extremely happiness syndrome.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
When it went wild I did manage to escape to a different floor of the dungeon, honor myself, and run back down and re tame the (now unbonded) naja. However, as soon as I said All Follow Me it immediately went wild once again (straight from green to grey again) and I was SoL.
That is a lot better information.

As for retaming, always need feeding immediately after retaming or they will go wild with the first command.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When a pet goes wild or is unhappy, you must feed it immediatly when re tamed or it can go wild in seconds. Khaelor beat me to it.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had the strange case of logging out with my lumberjack who had his beetle (bonded for years) next to him. When I log in again (days later) the beetle is grey and runs straight of and out of the screen.

Luckily this was in a calm area of Ter Mur, so I could just log onto my tamer and re-tame the bug, but if this would happen to one of my star pets in a place where I couldn't retame it easitly, I'd be mighty pissed!

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So I thought about this some more. I think the connection is undead / necro casters. The first report I saw of this was occurring in Shadowguard. I saw on a guild forum some folks I know to be reliable talking about Cus going wild during the roof encounter. The problem was big enough that they stopped using "good" pets and were just farming decent unscrolled Cus with the understanding that those pets might be list at any time.

A few months later the problem cropped up again during Invasions, but both my own experience and the few others I read took place in Skara, where the pet was fighting undead necro casters.

Yesterday was on a different facet than the other two (Eodon / Felucca / Ilshenar) but like the other two it happened fighting undead necro casters.

I think that may be the link.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its more likely a line of sight issue or an axis issue, considering" the" pets following properly was worked on recently.

Mister Sinister

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Its more likely a line of sight issue or an axis issue, considering" the" pets following properly was worked on recently.
I had line of sight the entire time and I was in the large southern most room in deceit with the stairs down to where the liches spawn when it happened.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is a lot better information.

As for retaming, always need feeding immediately after retaming or they will go wild with the first command.
Cal is not a newb tamer, I know you're only trying to be helpful but **is trying to be better so edits**

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had line of sight the entire time and I was in the large southern most room in deceit with the stairs down to where the liches spawn when it happened.
You may have had line of sight but was the game registering line of sight? I Know kind of mind blowing eh?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You may have had line of sight but was the game registering line of sight? I Know kind of mind blowing eh?
Line of sight isnt what it used to be. I am curious if this is part of the problem.

If it is occurring to the same tamers multiple times, then a better look needs to be given to those tamers.

I would suggest anyone who has had this problem maybe start recording their gameplay.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've not met the problem, and hope not to.
One question I've thought of. How many of the effected pets were set 'guarding'? It's something I don't do myself
@Merion I suspect your problem is not related. Did you have logs/boards in your beetle's back pack? Pets with items in their pack cannot be stabled and therefore do not autolog and are left in game, where they will obviously eventually go wild.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also believe "line of sight" is being "broken" by a pets axis location or even the players axis location and not "re tethering" properly.

We all know if your "away" from your pet it can lose happiness fairly quick. If "line of sight" is not being re-connected...yet commands can still be given you have the "going wild pet" in a short period of time. This is of course just my speculation.

Take pet happiness out of the equation, the only way we should lose a pet permanently is if we choose to let it loose.

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Line of sight may be the overall culprit. They should have changed the pet coding . Players don't realize there's a line of sight issue until they've issued the command. The pet shouldn't be penalized (loss of loyalty) when mobs appear to be in the players LOS when in fact for some ridiculous reason, they're not.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I lost a great (well 4.5) greater dragon to an undead guy on Halloween. Bonded and wonderfully happy one moment, not bonded and dead the next (you can not heal with bandies when they go wild!)

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've not met the problem, and hope not to.
One question I've thought of. How many of the effected pets were set 'guarding'? It's something I don't do myself
@Merion I suspect your problem is not related. Did you have logs/boards in your beetle's back pack? Pets with items in their pack cannot be stabled and therefore do not autolog and are left in game, where they will obviously eventually go wild.
D'oh! You're absolutely right! I totally forgot about that!
Serves me right, for going casual ;-)

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been a tamer for years and have many 120/120/120 tamers... tons of pets and not 1 has ever gone wild..
But I will say I stuff them as I fight, meaning my meat eaters get a snack mid fight and before I utter a single all follow me they get 2 chunks of meat.
Cu's get fruit just like the meat eaters...no pet I have ever had in a fight ever went out with out a fully belly... and kept that way.
Are you sure you didn't forget to feed... ?
Too many commands and no snack is gunna make them lower in loyalty...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And you can retame YOUR OWN pet with 0 skill, if an untrained pack animal goes wild on a non-tamer.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is correct .. anyone who owned a pet that goes wild will allow you to retame it. Be it a GD, Cu, or packie.
You can retame it.
Even if you again loose it to wild you still can tame it.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is correct .. anyone who owned a pet that goes wild will allow you to retame it. Be it a GD, Cu, or packie.
You can retame it.
Not exactly true, if your cu goes wild and you are not an elf, you cannot retame it.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I usually try to have the game sound on when using my tamer characters, as the sound that a pet makes in response to a command when it is "Wonderfully Happy" is quite different from the sound it makes in response to a command when it has less loyalty than that.

Mister Sinister

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
to all the people suggesting we keep our pets happy by feeding them: I think none of the people who posted in here are beginner tamers and do check loyalty every once in a while, especially since most of us have been aware of the bug that rapidly decreases loyalty within a matter of minutes.

maybe @Donavon and @Tyrath could post their experiences in here as well. They are by no means newbie tamers and know the game mechanics very well. on top of that they like to test things over and over. I remember both of them posting about pets going wild in the past. Maybe you will trust those two not to forget feeding their pets more...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
to all the people suggesting we keep our pets happy by feeding them: I think none of the people who posted in here are beginner tamers and do check loyalty every once in a while, especially since most of us have been aware of the bug that rapidly decreases loyalty within a matter of minutes.

maybe @Donavon and @Tyrath could post their experiences in here as well. They are by no means newbie tamers and know the game mechanics very well. on top of that they like to test things over and over. I remember both of them posting about pets going wild in the past. Maybe you will trust those two not to forget feeding their pets more...
I am attached to a pet 6 or more hours a day. I have not had one go wild. The closest was at mel when I was discorded. I had a very angry Platinum Drake. Fed it and it was fine. I have never seen another players pet go wild.

Im not saying the others are doing something wrong. The necro caster thing could looked at, but they are all over Sorc Dungeon and I go there with a pet daily.

*sends a Get Well Soon card to @Donavon *

Edit: I lored a vollum at Navrey that a non tamer was training and it was wond happy. 30 seconds later it went poof. I still dont know how an elf with 0 taming can even have a pet that says it needs 108 taming. I dont lump that in with this issue.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I have no idea exactly why pets lose loyalty so fast in some areas, I have a few theories Line of sight being the most solid. when it was changed so things would not target you through walls or around obstacles it also changed it to terrain height. I have found several places in dungeons where if you are on a piece of terrain that is higher or lower than where your pet is, your commands fall on deaf ears. I therefore make the assumption that the pet can't see you and loses loyalty at an accelerated rate. I really noticed this accelerated loyalty loss in the sorcerer dungeon while collecting turn in drops. One of my tactics was to turn consume or empowerment on and step around a corner out of sight of the mobs loyalty dropped much faster doing this. The same at entrance to Jack's room where the level of the terrain between the steps and the hall prevented giving commands. I also suspect that the loyalty drop is add up, IE out of sight for 5 minutes here and 2 minutes there add up. The other is over commanding with failed commands. Even at 120/120 a small % of your commands fail and in combination with there terrain visibilty further accumulate. In the house or bank sitting I have not seen loyalty drop at all, same on level fields with no obstacles. But I do believe the changes to terrain and line of sight has been the biggest cause of pets going wild.

Pets fighting their own kind lose loyalty faster, way back there were some critters that would make your pets go wild. Serpentine dragons were one such critter but back then people trained WW and Dragons on them a lot and both are dragons fighting dragons. That seemed to change at some point. Just like mares hunting Unicorns and Rune Beetles fighting other beetles the loyalty dropped fast. Then one day it didn't anymore. I am thinking that part of the code is active again. And again this is pure speculation. I have gotten the message a few times "Your pet refuses to attack" I had not seen that in a long time prior to a few months ago.

I have also noticed some pets seem to never lose loyalty while others lose it fast. Hiryus and L Hiryus for example I have not fed any of my main hiryus since they bonded and they just stay wonderfully happy....... My reptalon, fire beetle, and Cu's though seem to bleed off loyalty and need fed regularly. Since I use my Chiv and Bushi hiryus 90% of the time and some of them die a lot and I rez them and toss them right back into the fight without feeding post rez and they are wonderfully happy......... Where in the Sorc Dungeon I lore other peoples pets and watch Cu's go from wonderfully happy to open revolt in a hour or two of time when not fed.

Last part is pets getting locked in place and won't move. Watched one person spam "All follow me" and "All Kill" until their pet went wild. in one of these pet locks, pretty much have to drop food on the pet to get it to unlock, although mounting it and moving sometimes works. Pets that do go wild and get retamed go wild on the first command if not fed right after the retame..... that is nothing new.

Really only Kryonix would be able to answer what is going on with more pets going wild now days with concrete answers. Any player answers would be just what mine are speculation based on observations.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
have found several places in dungeons where if you are on a piece of terrain that is higher or lower than where your pet is, your commands fall on deaf ears.
This is an issue in many places now. Bumpy ground loses line of sight.

People who have lost pets should report the area they were in and if the ground is uneven or other obstacles.

Last part is pets getting locked in place and won't move.
Happens often with mountable pets. Feed them to make them move. Don't spam commands.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just noticed. they fixed the lore screen open issue. You can lore a pet and leave that screen open. When you lore again the old screen closes and a new one opens. Thanks devs!!

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can retame it.
Well also it would seem like if your pet goes wild while fighting spawn, it might die or your tame attempts could be difficult to accomplish. But hm.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Easy fix would to basically remove the pets going wild code but at 0 Zero loyalty just will not obey commands. I am guessing that would be fairly simple string of code to alter. Better a pet die and still be bonded than a 8x120 pet go wild and suffer the big loss. It was annoying to lose a pet pre pub 97 and can be down right financially painful post pub 97.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Pawain it still blocks you from doing something else though, like provoke.

Ive got my Hiryu go wild twice down in sorceres dungeon, first time I lossed it twice so skills went down to 55. Im just not used to the "no" sound from it. I spammed commands when it got hectic and I wanted it to protect me, well since I was able to save it both times it wasnt a to bad experience.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I have no idea exactly why pets lose loyalty so fast in some areas, I have a few theories Line of sight being the most solid. when it was changed so things would not target you through walls or around obstacles it also changed it to terrain height. I have found several places in dungeons where if you are on a piece of terrain that is higher or lower than where your pet is, your commands fall on deaf ears. I therefore make the assumption that the pet can't see you and loses loyalty at an accelerated rate. I really noticed this accelerated loyalty loss in the sorcerer dungeon while collecting turn in drops. One of my tactics was to turn consume or empowerment on and step around a corner out of sight of the mobs loyalty dropped much faster doing this. The same at entrance to Jack's room where the level of the terrain between the steps and the hall prevented giving commands. I also suspect that the loyalty drop is add up, IE out of sight for 5 minutes here and 2 minutes there add up. The other is over commanding with failed commands. Even at 120/120 a small % of your commands fail and in combination with there terrain visibilty further accumulate. In the house or bank sitting I have not seen loyalty drop at all, same on level fields with no obstacles. But I do believe the changes to terrain and line of sight has been the biggest cause of pets going wild.

Pets fighting their own kind lose loyalty faster, way back there were some critters that would make your pets go wild. Serpentine dragons were one such critter but back then people trained WW and Dragons on them a lot and both are dragons fighting dragons. That seemed to change at some point. Just like mares hunting Unicorns and Rune Beetles fighting other beetles the loyalty dropped fast. Then one day it didn't anymore. I am thinking that part of the code is active again. And again this is pure speculation. I have gotten the message a few times "Your pet refuses to attack" I had not seen that in a long time prior to a few months ago.

I have also noticed some pets seem to never lose loyalty while others lose it fast. Hiryus and L Hiryus for example I have not fed any of my main hiryus since they bonded and they just stay wonderfully happy....... My reptalon, fire beetle, and Cu's though seem to bleed off loyalty and need fed regularly. Since I use my Chiv and Bushi hiryus 90% of the time and some of them die a lot and I rez them and toss them right back into the fight without feeding post rez and they are wonderfully happy......... Where in the Sorc Dungeon I lore other peoples pets and watch Cu's go from wonderfully happy to open revolt in a hour or two of time when not fed.

Last part is pets getting locked in place and won't move. Watched one person spam "All follow me" and "All Kill" until their pet went wild. in one of these pet locks, pretty much have to drop food on the pet to get it to unlock, although mounting it and moving sometimes works. Pets that do go wild and get retamed go wild on the first command if not fed right after the retame..... that is nothing new.

Really only Kryonix would be able to answer what is going on with more pets going wild now days with concrete answers. Any player answers would be just what mine are speculation based on observations.
Keep in mind that pets following commands can boost the happiness level as well so long as they aren’t spammed. It’s always best to feed during fights (especially long ones) but this is also taken into account as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ok devs, no need for any action whatsoever. the entire problem has been solved by some of the posters in this thread. there is no pets going wild bug, there is only a lack of tamers feeding their pets. /sarcasm

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the meantime, I'm stoning my taming skills because I'm afraid to take any of my finished pets out for the time being.
Drama much? Even if your pet went wild 75% of the time, it's not exactly a reason to not use your pets, considering you can retame it and now no pets are even unique as you can put anything you want on them

Last edited:

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
ok devs, no need for any action whatsoever. the entire problem has been solved by some of the posters in this thread. there is no pets going wild bug, there is only a lack of tamers feeding their pets. /sarcasm
Any tamers this is happening to are not helping themselves though by submitting detailed information on how they encountered this bug. It's usually very sparse information that doesn't help anyone testing the bug. "my pet went wild when i was fighting something"

No one in my guild (its a guild of tamers) or that I know of has had a pet go wild. I rarely feed my pets, rarely. I also command them extensively.

That is not me saying the bug doesn't exist, but it does appear to be very rare.

Now if Tamers want the bug to be seriously looked at, they need to actually supply helpful information. The exact mobs they were fighting, exactly where they were fighting, their pet/pet skills, their taming template/skills, were they guarded, how they fight. I've seen ALOT of "invis tamers" recently. Where all they do is invis while their pet clears. Do they have Taming III mastery active.

This is especially important for the people who have had multiple pets go wild.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It is also important to note that some necro critters like the Minax Necro Captains and Jun'oar at the roof can cause your skill drop significantly if you are close to them.
I would have to check if normal necro critters also have this aura that cause skill loss.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It is also important to note that some necro critters like the Minax Necro Captains and Jun'oar at the roof can cause your skill drop significantly if you are close to them.
I would have to check if normal necro critters also have this aura that cause skill loss.
Which is why it's important to know what they were fighting at the time.

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
And maybe they should just fix the LoS issues for the heck of it? Maybe when you’re standing one or two tiles away from another player or a monster that’s half a step up or down from you in elevation, maybe you should be able to see that entity? Maybe? Or targeting urself using UOAssist’s ‘target self’ on uneven ground and being given the message ‘target cannot be seen’, something seems off, eh? Line of Sight in this game is SCREWED, it’s extremely frustrating doing anything anywhere that isn’t completely flat ground. Wanna teleport four tiles away bc ur about to be boxed in by spawn? ‘Target cannot be seen’! Anyway yea, it’s annoying, it’s counterintuitive, and IT’S BROKEN!

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have been a tamer for years and have many 120/120/120 tamers... tons of pets and not 1 has ever gone wild..
But I will say I stuff them as I fight, meaning my meat eaters get a snack mid fight and before I utter a single all follow me they get 2 chunks of meat.
Cu's get fruit just like the meat eaters...no pet I have ever had in a fight ever went out with out a fully belly... and kept that way.
Are you sure you didn't forget to feed... ?
Too many commands and no snack is gunna make them lower in loyalty...
Last time it happened to me (I caught it right as it was losing happiness), I took the pet out of the stables, fed it, went hunting and it was refusing orders within 5 minutes.I was lucky that I was fighting a single mob and noticed that it refused to obey. If it was a pile up, I would have lost a fully scrolled pet.