• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

GameDev conference UO postmortem with Garriott

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ummm...."Post mortem" ??????

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Ummm...."Post mortem" ??????
Yea I was curious about that too. Post Mortem would imply either UO is a failure, or defunct.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea I was curious about that too. Post Mortem would imply either UO is a failure, or defunct.
I believe by post mortem they mean since their involvement ended. People still play Diablo and Pac Man, and both were previous topics of Post Mortem.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are now also advertising SotA on their "social media" sites as Ultima online 2 and refering to it as "the natural successor to Ultima Online".
I'd say RG is taking the piss somewhat now.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In reading the linked article it sound very much like the talks Richard and Star gave at the 20th anniversary. I can only speak for myself, but I found the stories they told about 'the good old days' and how the problems they solved in designing game elements opened up new worlds. How one thing solved lead to technological element changes and growth industry wide. Quite fascinating times specially when the personal details are added to the mix.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Was Garriot part of AOS? Because UO to UOR was a pretty big change but AOS was an entire new game. There were move pvp overall mechanical changes in PVP in the 4 years than the last 16 years.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Game postmortems are usually documents explaining what went right and what went right on the development of the game so you have proper documentation to try to avoid past mistakes when making the next game.
So it will be a presentation about their experience while developing UO, saying what went right, what went wrong and what went terribly.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are now also advertising SotA on their "social media" sites as Ultima online 2 and refering to it as "the natural successor to Ultima Online".
I'd say RG is taking the piss somewhat now.
SotA is an abomination. Played a trial earlier this year. Thank god I didn't back this one... Just saying "Real money virtual real estate"... lol...

The only things, that come close to a UO2 or could be called successor, would be Legends of Aria (formerly Shards Online) and Albion Online.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In my experience, "Post Mortems" for games are for their original development period, up to the point where the games go "Gold" (release hits the market).

Been that way for as long as there's been an internet and industry cons to do "post mortems".

kalexpor

Adventurer
the word postmortem was used by a reporter, not by richard garriott, i guess.

and, richard garriott, maybe, wants to celebrate 20th annyversary of ultima-online, valueing once again his historical masterpiece that is ultima-online. that is all. only just it. please, do not pay attention too much to the word postmortem.

* it seems that the word postmortem is used for something very important and significant in history, i guess. and ultima online is just something very important and significant in game history, and keeps going on. if richard garriott used the word postmortem, just that is what he wants to say, i guess.

Last edited:

calibek

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was Garriot part of AOS? Because UO to UOR was a pretty big change but AOS was an entire new game. There were move pvp overall mechanical changes in PVP in the 4 years than the last 16 years.
No he was not. Tom "Evocare" Chilton was. He saw how popular Diablo 2 was with fans and tried to change this game to match that. Ironically enough he left UO to start on World of Warcraft. AoS increased subscriptions but then, inevitably, lost more than they had gained because they had significantly changed portions of the game that made it popular. Quite frankly I would consider his creative direction to be the blight that destroyed a once great game.