• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dev Team : Bod books

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are so many things I'd like updated for crafting but the number one item on my list is bod books.

Can we please get them to work like alacrity books, like powerscroll books, like SOT books?

* 1 lockdown regardless of size of items in the book
* When locked down you can add/remove items from the book

I doubt many people are really holding extra houses for bods. Instead we have all these stupid vendors which I would really not want to have and just have the books in crates. In addition, you can never really fully fill a bod book with 500 bods because you need basically an empty pack to even pick it up. Then when you want to take bods out - it fills your pack. I spend half my time shuffling and sorting bods into 100 ct bod books so can pick them up and work with them.

Benefits :
Less vendors holding bods so vendor search works faster
Less vendors with non sell items that entice then frustrate players
Easier bod storage and sorting for players.

Honestly - players don't sell or trade bods at all any more because you can get points for whatever reward you want, every bod has value, and you can bribe stuff up to get the bod you need. The days of bod trading are completely dead as well as any bod sales.

Please just make it easier for us to manage them.

I would really like all the various sizes to go away and just make every bod a 15 count - but thats a pipe dream. Just please make it so that it works like the rest of the storage books in the game. Lock it down. 1 item count for the book and let us add and remove items from it when locked down or in a box.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would settle for 10 and 20 and make the 15 go away, but yes, the books need reworking.
We did get the new version of "It's on the radar" from Mesanna, so hopefully 2020 will see some bodbook changes

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
From the last meet and greet

[Uriah Heep]: will we ever have the ability to use BoD books locked down or in a container?

[Uriah Heep]: I'm not talking about

[Mesanna]: yes you should be able to use it locked down

[Uriah Heep]: item count changes or any of that

[Mesanna]: we are not sure why that was not done in the first place

[Uriah Heep]: Last I tried it wouldnt let me

[Mesanna]: and yes we have it on our list to look at

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I doubt many people are really holding extra houses for bods.
I have 14 houses on Sonoma that are totally full of BOD books. I have thought about using vendors for storage but I'm a cheapskate!

I do agree that they should change them to 1 item.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Item count changes have been FIRMLY stated as "NEVER"

It's too easy, every time a dupe exploit is discovered by someone, to then dupe a loaded book of filled LBODs, and boom! 500 runics with each copy, that get laundered to lose their "came from a dupe" tag when they go from duped BOD to freshly created hammer/sewing kit/fletcher kit.

However, one thing a number of us have suggested as an alternative, and we got some non-negative response to from them when we mentioned it (At the meetup, informally), would be a house add-on that counts as 1 item that would function like a BOD book (including potentially being a BOD vendor), but be less vulnerable to dupes (by not being not redeedable with BODs in it).

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Item count changes have been FIRMLY stated as "NEVER"

It's too easy, every time a dupe exploit is discovered by someone, to then dupe a loaded book of filled LBODs, and boom! 500 runics with each copy, that get laundered to lose their "came from a dupe" tag when they go from duped BOD to freshly created hammer/sewing kit/fletcher kit.

However, one thing a number of us have suggested as an alternative, and we got some non-negative response to from them when we mentioned it (At the meetup, informally), would be a house add-on that counts as 1 item that would function like a BOD book (including potentially being a BOD vendor), but be less vulnerable to dupes (by not being not redeedable with BODs in it).
Making it worth one lockdown is irrelevant to duping. I can dupe a book of 500 now if duping were possible. What I can't do is sort them effectively as I try to shuffle books around.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Am I the only one here who is sick and tired of taking in the arse in the name of preventing dupers and scripters?
And has no one else figured out the only people these steps hurt is the real player? random wood, random ore, bod books, etc etc.
Wish they would quit programming with the anti cheater mindset and start programming with the make it better for the real players mindset

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From the last meet and greet

[Uriah Heep]: will we ever have the ability to use BoD books locked down or in a container?

[Uriah Heep]: I'm not talking about

[Mesanna]: yes you should be able to use it locked down

[Uriah Heep]: item count changes or any of that

[Mesanna]: we are not sure why that was not done in the first place

[Uriah Heep]: Last I tried it wouldnt let me

[Mesanna]: and yes we have it on our list to look at
Good news to hear! It's a start, but in my opinion, they should also take up just 1 lockdown. Like the PS, Alacrity, and Transcendence books. If I had to choose though, I would pick them just taking 1 lockdown over being "usable" while locked down. I could free up some vendors! LOL

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah that would be acceptable. Either or. If they were only 1 item count, then we could at least get em in our packs without stripping down. Whichever, I guess, would take less developer time to do. Maybe making em 1 item count could be as simple as changing a variable in a string? And maybe done soon? I dunno, not a programmer. But some kinda relief is needed, And I really wish they would take the 15s out completely lol. That would cut the hoarding and storage issues by 1/3.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't forget to consider what this change would do for the massive off-shard bod farms that already dominate the rewards market, perhaps make them shard bound at the same time?
When is the last time you played? 2010?

What 'off shard' bod farms? I collect bods on many shards. Bods are restricted by time. No need to restrict how many you can store. Even with the current storage situation with a 14 year shard shield you can move a character with 600 bods in their pack and 600 bods in their bank per trip. Or, complete all those bods into a few completed books in your pack and bank with 1200 rewards. That is like years of collecting at one per 6 hours x 6 characters. I do use my reward shields to move bods around but mainly because you can't really sort/use bods out of a bank box so I need to get them to my home shard for sorting/filling. I even take back completed ones to other shards where I have smiths to use the rewards.

And what is the 'rewards market' you speak of? Can you even sell a runic anymore now that they are so easy for everyone to get??

Yes, you used to scripts logging into get bods all the time 5 years ago but I haven't seen that in years. Seriously. There's not enough money in it. Anyone can get any reward with a small amount of work now with bribes and the point system.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have 14 houses on Sonoma that are totally full of BOD books. I have thought about using vendors for storage but I'm a cheapskate!

I do agree that they should change them to 1 item.
That doesn't make any sense. So you pay $13/month for an extra house to store bods instead of 60gp per day per vendor? I have 50 vendors holding bods. That's 3k per day times 30 days or 90k per month. $13 can buy you about 52m gold per month. Who's the cheapskate now?

I would suggest you sort and fill some of those bods and reduce your collection. Oh wait, hard to do with the item counts. You can't even get them in one house to sort them.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
with the new loot being so good and having 255 dura, doing bods is worth it for me/others. I would like to see an option to price all bods in book, price all. the dev shouldn't touch bods until they make them worth doing again and stop bod filling scripts/other cheats. just my opinions.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That doesn't make any sense. So you pay $13/month for an extra house to store bods instead of 60gp per day per vendor? I have 50 vendors holding bods. That's 3k per day times 30 days or 90k per month. $13 can buy you about 52m gold per month. Who's the cheapskate now?
Those 14 houses are owned by only 3 of my 14 accounts. They are old school accounts from the days of when you could have 1 house per character. I have a couple accounts that have more than 45 houses each on them. I also have an account that has a notebook that lists 53 houses on it but i have only found 7 of them.

I'm only a cheapskate in UO because I hate spending gold if I don't have to. I don't mind spending real life money on 14 accounts because many of them are from friends that have passed on our away. I promised to keep the accounts active until the end.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That doesn't make any sense. So you pay $13/month for an extra house to store bods instead of 60gp per day per vendor?
Vendor storage for bod books is fine an dandy, unless you are working them with a partner or two. Then they can't access them because they are not their vendors. So for some, vendors are not the answer.

Locked down or in a chest and set to friends, then the coalition and access them all. Vendor storage is not the proper answer, and should never have been allowed.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I do agree a locked down book should be fully useable and allow you to work out of it...
I Seriously do need the books to be less lockdowns...
A friend quit and told me I had less then an hour to waltz out with every bod book she had.... a full castle of bod books very little else.
Oh she did include stuff to make them full... but I digress.
Her castle was a the full 60% storage... where the hades was I going to put this many books??
I myself have a ton already... I was frantic.
I ended up getting a house from a guildmate .... 18x18 filled to the gills with vendors and bags locked down was barely able to hold them all.
Every crafter I own gets 24 bods at one go of collecting...
You need a good handful of collectors to get a decent selection for making the large bods for the decent gifts.
Here is the lowdown..
Average crafter mind you..
24 bods if they collect every type we get.
Now figure you have 2 or 3 crafters on other accounts
In a week 1 crafter can get if you do it once a day... that's 168 bods.
Now a bod book takes 4 bods to 1 lockdown.
Makes it 42 lockdowns.
This does not count in if you can get a large bod to fill.... that is a whole other issue they need to address in raising the %s
In no time you have a storage issue.
I for one do not see why a lockdown issue was imposed unless it was to limit the collecting ...
The thing is had they given a better % of large bods for the new types it might not be too bad.. but I still see it building up to a out of control issue.
You figure if a crafter has a bug to hold all his books that would count as 1 item... no clogged houses storage would lessen big time.
Even on the crafter 20 to 50 books if it was the 1 item count... No need for vendors unless your selling.
No lag monster houses filled to the gills with vendors of non priced books and bods.