• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO PVP Discord server

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All,

I have created a UO PVP discord server for anyone who PvPs to freely use. Not only is it most obviously going to be full of a ridiculous amount of trash talking (and maybe even clean up general chat a bit) but I'm hoping it gives a spot for those looking for PvP to be able to find it.

Users are encouraged to use it to create fights, to find fights, to announce fights (ie. "X Guild doing VvV towns in Jhelom, big fight", "Harrower up on Lake Superior". Its also a decent spot to have the PvP community to be able to socialize. Many of the players that pvp have friends in other guilds, former guild mates, and the like.

We'll see how it evolves. As of this posting there are 30 people within already, the usual jokes, trash talk, and even a heavy amount of "what can better pvp" discussion has already taken place.

The only rules for joining are that you have a registered Discord account and that you change your nickname on the server to reflect who you are or who others know you by. Anyone doing a lot of posting as an anonymous troll will just be kicked, no questions asked. Other than that there will be very little moderation unless someone is clearly disrupting the usage of the server (obviously generic trash talk will be overlooked).

For those that have never used it, Discord is a fantastic chat and voice program mixed together. Once all within the same server you can also pm each other. There is a Windows app, a Phone app, and a website to log into that all gives the exact same functionality. Its a great program.

Here is the server invite link:

Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Isn't Discord a little too "this decade" for most UO players to use?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My guild has used many chat programs over the years, and Discord seems the best. Teamspeak was always very clunky and hard to use, got in the way of other stuff, when two people spoke at the same time it would turn it into a mess of random words.

I also hated the automatic text to speech thing. I normally type and just stopped bothering to say anything in Teamspeak because everything I wrote sounded like Stephen Hawking when the text to speech happened. Every time the mechanical voice would weird people out and it would go silent as people awkwardly listened to a robot read an entire paragraph.

Skype was terrible also, it crashed daily, lost messages, and just all around sucked. Ventrilo was good for voice chat but bad for typing since people can't keep the text box up while doing other stuff.

Discord is perfect. I haven't had a single problem using it all year, and it has a really nice blend of text and voice chats.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It is plus it's like a guild message board and you can post pics and links and so much more than Ventrilo and such...

You can sticky things to help others... I've been using it for a long while now and really like it... and if you have a suggestion or idea they are pretty receptive to those things and will add stuff all the time to make it even better.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
While one ring to bind them all sounds great.... meanwhile back in UO 98% of the people use ICQ ;)

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
ICQ is the worst chat program. Time to grow up and accept change. I'm convinced UO players would still be riding around on Horseback if it's what they were doing before cars were invented.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
ICQ is the worst chat program. Time to grow up and accept change. I'm convinced UO players would still be riding around on Horseback if it's what they were doing before cars were invented.
Reminds me of the Amish. They're all over where our cottage is. I live in constant fear of coming over a hill at 55 and seeing a buggy chugging along right in front of me. Between them and the deer I'm considering a horse.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Reminds me of the Amish. They're all over where our cottage is. I live in constant fear of coming over a hill at 55 and seeing a buggy chugging along right in front of me. Between them and the deer I'm considering a horse.
Ugh... reminds me of the time during a road trip I ran into a huge traffic jam that took like 3 hours to clear up. What caused it? Apparently an Amish guy's horse collapsed from exhaustion in the middle of the road, and they couldn't move the unconscious horse or the buggy out of the way. Everyone was expecting to see a car on fire or something, but no, a 3 hour traffic jam was caused by a horse getting tired.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Ugh... reminds me of the time during a road trip I ran into a huge traffic jam that took like 3 hours to clear up. What caused it? Apparently an Amish guy's horse collapsed from exhaustion in the middle of the road, and they couldn't move the unconscious horse or the buggy out of the way. Everyone was expecting to see a car on fire or something, but no, a 3 hour traffic jam was caused by a horse getting tired.
We get the local paper sent to us and seems at least one horse and buggy gets hit every year. It's really sad.

Last edited:

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like something that could happen in the State College & Lancaster areas of PA, although I'm not sure how many Amish are in either area now. Never ran into an unconscious horse.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Around here it's a thing... young fellow just 16 or 17 blew through a horse and buggy with a young family on their way to Amish Church service... killed 1/2 of them left a young girl of 3 at the time paralyzed and broken... he was late for work and still slightly toasted from a night of partying and drinking... tragic all around. And true to Amish ways they didn't want him charged with anything... but he of course was by law.

If I remember correctly was that tragedy that finally got most of them to comply with putting the orange triangles on the backs of their buggies... Not like that IMO helps that much but it does help some with black buggies and dark horses... in early mornings when it's still darkish...

I still find it interesting to see the horse and buggy tied up outside the local grocery store every so often.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It always surprises me seeing the odd places the Amish end up at, some of which I didn't even know they were allowed to experience at all. I've seen them at a waterpark, on a roller coaster at Disney World, at a professional baseball game, participating in a charity marathon, at national parks, and in the city zoo at the alligator petting exhibit.

I had no idea they participated in so many normal aspects of modern life. They were always in a group of around 10 also, like a field trip.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It always surprises me seeing the odd places the Amish end up at, some of which I didn't even know they were allowed to experience at all. I've seen them at a waterpark, on a roller coaster at Disney World, at a professional baseball game, participating in a charity marathon, at national parks, and in the city zoo at the alligator petting exhibit.

I had no idea they participated in so many normal aspects of modern life. They were always in a group of around 10 also, like a field trip.
Depends on the group, I believe. Subgroups of Amish - Wikipedia. The restrictions on technology vary, and I would assume their...visibility in public places (for lack of a better term - was the first thing that came to mind) does as well.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While one ring to bind them all sounds great.... meanwhile back in UO 98% of the people use ICQ ;)
On my UO- related " this is so ****ing insane" -list, this isn't in top 5 but awfully close. ;p
Not sure when was the last time I spoke to anybody besides an UO player who'd use ICQ..2006?

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
On my UO- related " this is so ****ing insane" -list, this isn't in top 5 but awfully close. ;p
Not sure when was the last time I spoke to anybody besides an UO player who'd use ICQ..2006?
Probably because you aren't female... For awhile I got like 10 to 15 solicitations a day from people in China, Korea, Israel and other such places wanting to "speak with American Girl Please."... got seriously irritating even though I said i didn't want anyone NOT on my list to contact me. I kept asking "How did you get my number?" "Why are you asking me to accept you?" "Do you play UO?"...

And yeah... was sick and annoying.

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
Isn't Discord a little too "this decade" for most UO players to use?
I'm old...close to 50... yea Discord is too...advanced for me. I can't even figure out my Android phone or set up my Smart TV. I had to call the 8 yr old across the street....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm old...close to 50... yea Discord is too...advanced for me. I can't even figure out my Android phone or set up my Smart TV. I had to call the 8 yr old across the street....
I'm over 50 and I can use Discord... Oh and I'm blonde... so if I can figure it out so can you.

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
I'm over 50 and I can use Discord... Oh and I'm blonde... so if I can figure it out so can you.
Did I mention I have UO running on a laptop and it HATS discord or any voice programme...? Laptops don't have function keys like PC keyboards, so I haven';t figured out how to ..speak. lol Then after about an hours, I lost the will to live.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Laptops don't have function keys like PC keyboards, so I haven';t figured out how to ..speak. lol Then after about an hours, I lost the will to live.
My 8 year old laptop has function keys. Not that it matters because you can assign the push to talk button to anything you like in the settings.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Did I mention I have UO running on a laptop and it HATS discord or any voice programme...? Laptops don't have function keys like PC keyboards, so I haven';t figured out how to ..speak. lol Then after about an hours, I lost the will to live.
I put my push to talk on the laptop on the right alt key... since I nearly never use that key.