• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Poison Mastery ****BUG****

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wanted to bring attention to a bug that is being used on atlantic. The poison mastery can be activated when poisoning is on a character and then if it is soul stoned off, the mastery stays and they still have the ability to keep tolerance. So, you can nullify DP temps without having poison on your own temp. It seems like a bug to me, but... is this intended?

@Kyronix @Bleak

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm sure it's a bug. It's also been reported in person on TC1 during the "combat changes" testing phase.

All of the passive masteries stay with you after you soulstone the required skill off.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bushido is the same way with its intel boost. You can soulstone it and you maintain the int to your stats. Course if you switch masteries you lose it.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well they should fix all of them. It has been out for how long now? They fixed the ninja bug in a week and decided not to check on the other masteries? I don't get it.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well to fix some bugs it takes finding the error point... and on a large patch that can take a lot of time.
Even with the newer software finding the exact point and making sure its not linked to another point in the patch as well.
I sometimes wonder if players who yip so much actually know how a program is developed and how hard it is to trace a issue.
This is not that easy to find, they have to go over line by line of code to see if an error in any symbol or spelling.
Then if it still don't show up they have to pick it apart and that can take time too..
We not talking a few minute here... months can go by.
On a program I know of, it took 3 years for its designer's to find the error ... It didn't show till they went to revamp the exact code place again.
My nephew who was on the testing of the revamp said the error was so hidden in the layers of how the original coding layed out.
So getting angry at the dev team is not helping them find it any faster...
ITs not like the old days when you could walk up to the fortran code and it was sticking out like a sore thumb....

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well to fix some bugs it takes finding the error point... and on a large patch that can take a lot of time.
Even with the newer software finding the exact point and making sure its not linked to another point in the patch as well.
I sometimes wonder if players who yip so much actually know how a program is developed and how hard it is to trace a issue.
This is not that easy to find, they have to go over line by line of code to see if an error in any symbol or spelling.
Then if it still don't show up they have to pick it apart and that can take time too..
On a program I know of, it took 3 years for its designer's to find the error ... It didn't show till they went to revamp the exact code place again.
My nephew who was on the testing of the revamp said the error was so hidden in the layers of how the original coding layed out.
ITs not like the old days when you could walk up to the fortran code and it was sticking out like a sore thumb....
Yeah, we the consumers make out it's like the developers actual job to do this... oh wait...

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe they should do through testing before pushing it out? Crazy idea.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sometimes I wonder when the dev team's #1 fan gets tired of thinking they walk on water.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why is it when someone states facts on how programming is... all of a sudden your pegged as someone who will not have a point.
I have a nephew who worked on a major game company's debug crew.
They found bugs up the kazoo, but the time factor was the honest push to get it out to the public who were pancakes big time to play...
The ultimate driver for a publish no matter how far you are in the repair of the serious bugs..is the public.
The faster you get it out there the more you make attitude.

The Dev is not the bad guy in most of these company's, when asked for a confirmed date to launch, a DATE is given and the management must deliver that day.
One game I remember kept going back and forth from one side to the other it finally ended with the whole thing being canceled.. the bugs won.

What I said was a general statement of how bug fixes go... if they are that bad to warrant exploration back in the code.
This was not just for UO but WOW,EQ, and many of the top label's out on the market still working.
The fact being, what I was saying was people have a limited idea of the time needed and the luck to find the source of some of the bugs.
They don't have a red flag and wave it going hi there im a bug!
Drcossack if you got a hard on for the dev that's fine just don't paint others with your brush.
Some of us know what we are talking about.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We're all aware of how difficult programming is. That's not the issue. The actual issue:

Time and time again, the devs are told about the effects their changes will have on things, and what to improve: pvp changes, pet revamp, etc. They do not listen to the playerbase. I noticed the mastery passive bug on Test Center during the pvp changes, although I didn't take any further action with it (i.e. reporting), simply because I felt I didn't need to (I wouldn't stone skills off to keep the passive benefits of a mastery on a live shard.)

I would assume that the mastery passives bug has been reported before Paith made this thread. How long has it been out? Nearly 2 years? Look at how long it took for Gargoyle artifacts to be added to Shadowguard. They should have been part of the drop table from the very beginning.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@drcossack, I imagine their inbox gets so full that they cannot get to everything, or perhaps the bug gets pushed to some other unfortunate to do pile due to triage. By putting the dirty laundry out for all to see, you change the priority of an issue and force the devs. to address the problem.

Honestly I am surprised this thread has stayed up as long as it has and not moved to privates, since posting bugs is supposed to be frowned upon here. I guess it all depends on who is posting it...

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has it ever occurred that the changes you ask for have to go through more then just a bit of programming?
There is a set line of things they have in mind... some of which might be down the line along the same lines but a bit different.
IDK about you , but I do dislike people giving me a push to the thing I have had in mind for later.. now.
My kids try it a lot and I hate to say it I too balk.
You take this as your right to give them hell for not doing it your way or better yet what you want now.
This goes for all of the players out there.
As I tell others who do this to me so I tell you what your doing is the same.
You think because you pay for playing you have rights to direct how you want things... or at the very least get heard about how you want it.
Now I will tell you how you have jack...
This is EA property... run by Broadsword.
Not the game owned by players.
You along with all of us rent this game and its pixels.
If you walked in my shop and tried this on me you can bet your bottom dollar your bum would hit the curb.
Know your place kiddo.
You rent the game not own it.
Its through the grace of the LP and the Dev team that ideas we come up with have merit to be put in.
Not the other way around.

To address your last line.. about the Gar items.
Did you attend the party?
If so you might have met the new artist.
From what I hear she is a smart and talented lady.
With her the team is growing.. but still 6 or 7 people cant do the work of the crew they had before.
EA axed the Mythic crew, or when they moved the HQ from Origin Systems in Texas to Redwood City.
GO look at the older gift named items list... read the number of the past teams.....
Your asking for things even those people would take a good deal of time to fix or add.
I don't want you angry but knowing that sometimes we cant always get what we want even in a game as we cant in real life.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I sent an e mail on a issue Mesanna needed feed back on.
She couldn't find it... over 3k in e mails with no idea what was what... or why sent.
She told me to resend and put in the subject line a reason for the e mail.
I resent, with this done, she found it in minutes.
Many times there is not enough time in a day to read that many e mails and get normal work done.
She said in passing that the 3k was about normal.
OMG 3k e mails...

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wanted to bring attention to a bug that is being used on atlantic. The poison mastery can be activated when poisoning is on a character and then if it is soul stoned off, the mastery stays and they still have the ability to keep tolerance. So, you can nullify DP temps without having poison on your own temp. It seems like a bug to me, but... is this intended?

@Kyronix @Bleak
This will be resolved in a later publish.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I sent an e mail on a issue Mesanna needed feed back on.
She couldn't find it... over 3k in e mails with no idea what was what... or why sent.
She told me to resend and put in the subject line a reason for the e mail.
I resent, with this done, she found it in minutes.
Many times there is not enough time in a day to read that many e mails and get normal work done.
She said in passing that the 3k was about normal.
OMG 3k e mails...
That is just bad management on her behalf. Nobody forces her to tell every player whatsoever to email her. Other games have support staff or forums for that. UO has the producer's email inbox.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To address your last line.. about the Gar items.
Did you attend the party?
If so you might have met the new artist.
From what I hear she is a smart and talented lady.
Are you aware that Gargoyle versions of drops ALREADY EXISTED on Test Center, and have for some time? Jumu's, Ozy's Obi, Shanty's Waders, Minax's Sandals, Wamap's Bone Earrings, Lerei's Spear, Anon's Boots, Grugor's Shield, and Halawa's Hunting Bow. Balakai's Shaman Staff even had an alternate graphic that both Gargs and Humans could use: the Wand. Why were they not on live shards from the very beginning?

You go on and on about the way you would do things with your own business. Let's be real here: you wouldn't have any customers. Why do you think people close so many accounts or quit the game entirely?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Honestly I am surprised this thread has stayed up as long as it has and not moved to privates, since posting bugs is supposed to be frowned upon here. I guess it all depends on who is posting it...
Just to clarify on this, it doesn't matter who posts it at all. The severity of what the bug actually does and whether or not they described how to replicate it is mainly what is considered. If someone were to post a detailed description of how to use a current dupe, it would be removed very quickly. One of the issues with threads like this is that we don't know whether or not the person posted the entire description of how to replicate it, or just part of it which cannot be used to fully replicate it. The original post said to use a soulstone, but how do we know whether the soulstone has to be used once, or 500 times for this to work?

It's impossible for us to know every detail of every bug, so it's difficult to moderate things when we don't know whether it violated the rules or not, since it's only against the rules if it's possible to replicate it solely based on the thread.

Sending a PM or emailing the devs directly is the best way, and it is still generally not a good idea to describe how to replicate a bug in a public post.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to clarify on this, it doesn't matter who posts it at all. The severity of what the bug actually does and whether or not they described how to replicate it is mainly what is considered. If someone were to post a detailed description of how to use a current dupe, it would be removed very quickly. One of the issues with threads like this is that we don't know whether or not the person posted the entire description of how to replicate it, or just part of it which cannot be used to fully replicate it. The original post said to use a soulstone, but how do we know whether the soulstone has to be used once, or 500 times for this to work?

It's impossible for us to know every detail of every bug, so it's difficult to moderate things when we don't know whether it violated the rules or not, since it's only against the rules if it's possible to replicate it solely based on the thread.

Sending a PM or emailing the devs directly is the best way, and it is still generally not a good idea to describe how to replicate a bug in a public post.
Rules are the rules...period. I have seen players get badmouthed here without incident, yet have seen others get penalized for doing the same. I have seen this bug go without incident, yet know of someone in the past who posted an incomplete three year old dupe get banned for doing the same thing the OP did. No, I am not saying the OP should be banned, but threads like this should be pulled so that only the devs can see them.

There is no grey area here. Since the servers are inside the US it is the responsibility of the staff to avoid discriminatory acts at all costs.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Rules are the rules...period. I have seen players get badmouthed here without incident, yet have seen others get penalized for doing the same. I have seen this bug go without incident, yet know of someone in the past who posted an incomplete three year old dupe get banned for doing the same thing the OP did. No, I am not saying the OP should be banned, but threads like this should be pulled so that only the devs can see them.

There is no grey area here. Since the servers are inside the US it is the responsibility of the staff to avoid discriminatory acts at all costs.
I don't remember the three year old dupe ban, but if that is the case then most likely either the staff member who did that didn't realize it was incomplete and no longer worked (again, it's hard to moderate without knowing) or it was posted with personal attacks against the developers or other posters and was removed due to that. Those are the only reasons I can think of to explain that.

The badmouthing of other players part gets complicated for moderators. If it directly names them like "Norrington scammed me" it will always get removed. If it just hints at who they are or their name is mostly blocked out, sometimes it will get removed and sometimes it won't based on moderator judgment. It doesn't seem fair to prevent anyone from sharing their experience with being scammed or whatever, which would also essentially be protecting the scammer, but that's the only way we would be able to block all badmouthing without resorting to moderator judgment on some level for those type of things.

As for the last part of your post, I have no idea how the servers being in the United States has anything to do with this. A forum can ban anyone for any reason and it's completely legal, so discrimination laws don't really come into play at all there.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks. Does that mean like a hot fix, the next publish, or just some future publish at some point will get it fixed?
It means it will probably get fixed once they figure out what's allowing it test the fix, and the implementation of the fix will probably be in place before people are told the fix is in place. Most exploits are fixed, then the fix is announced after all shards get it, not before. This is especially true for dupe exploits, but often is done with PvP exploits as well, as to not cause a flurry of exploit activity trying to "beat the fix".

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are you aware that Gargoyle versions of drops ALREADY EXISTED on Test Center, and have for some time? Jumu's, Ozy's Obi, Shanty's Waders, Minax's Sandals, Wamap's Bone Earrings, Lerei's Spear, Anon's Boots, Grugor's Shield, and Halawa's Hunting Bow. Balakai's Shaman Staff even had an alternate graphic that both Gargs and Humans could use: the Wand. Why were they not on live shards from the very beginning?

You go on and on about the way you would do things with your own business. Let's be real here: you wouldn't have any customers. Why do you think people close so many accounts or quit the game entirely?

I sure wish a hawkwinds robe alternate was available for gargoyles. They are hideous on humans, maybe they'd be useful for gargs.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It means it will probably get fixed once they figure out what's allowing it test the fix, and the implementation of the fix will probably be in place before people are told the fix is in place. Most exploits are fixed, then the fix is announced after all shards get it, not before. This is especially true for dupe exploits, but often is done with PvP exploits as well, as to not cause a flurry of exploit activity trying to "beat the fix".
They fixed this exact bug with ninjitsu and everyone white tiger forming in like 2 days of when it came to their attention. Been weeks and nothing on this one.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They fixed this exact bug with ninjitsu and everyone white tiger forming in like 2 days of when it came to their attention. Been weeks and nothing on this one.
(facepalm)

Just because a bug ACTS or LOOKS like another one, does not mean that it has a similar root cause or can be fixed the same way. I vaguely remember there being 1 or 2 bugs that went on for years, last decade, because it looked like one thing, but was actually caused by something different.

To use a real-world example: my car's right low-beam headlight.

It looked burnt out. It acted burnt out. Something I've dealt with a dozen times with almost as many cars over the years.
But, on replacing it, the headlight worked for a few trips, then stopped working. I'd take the car to get it checked, and the light worked for the mechanic looking at it, first try. It would work for a few more hours/days, then not work.

It took me weeks to figure out that it's a wiring problem, instead of the "obvious" incorrect diagnosis of a bad bulb (and who knows how long the headlight was out before someone told me, as the fog lights gave the false impression I head a headlight that side, and brights worked normally).

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(facepalm)

Just because a bug ACTS or LOOKS like another one, does not mean that it has a similar root cause or can be fixed the same way. I vaguely remember there being 1 or 2 bugs that went on for years, last decade, because it looked like one thing, but was actually caused by something different.

To use a real-world example: my car's right low-beam headlight.

It looked burnt out. It acted burnt out. Something I've dealt with a dozen times with almost as many cars over the years.
But, on replacing it, the headlight worked for a few trips, then stopped working. I'd take the car to get it checked, and the light worked for the mechanic looking at it, first try. It would work for a few more hours/days, then not work.

It took me weeks to figure out that it's a wiring problem, instead of the "obvious" incorrect diagnosis of a bad bulb (and who knows how long the headlight was out before someone told me, as the fog lights gave the false impression I head a headlight that side, and brights worked normally).
That or everyone was abusing the last bug and there is only some of the pvp community abusing this one- so they don't think it needs to be fixed as fast. I feel like I need to get more people to abuse it and get more people to complain before things will get fixed. And maybe that is the quickest solution.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
This Bug does Balance out Lethal Poison a little bit. overall Lethal needs a nerf more than Tolerance, you Can still fail 3 or 4 times even with the Tolerance buff Up.

· Tolerance Drops off when you Log out
· Tolerance Drops off when you Die
· Tolerance Can be purged off with ward or mystic.

I get the frustration, I feel bad for players who are unable to pvp without someone failing 10 cure potions in a row. You can come over to pacific and I will show you how to counter Tolerance, so you are able to be an impact Player. and Maybe help you our in your 2 on 2 game.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This Bug does Balance out Lethal Poison a little bit. overall Lethal needs a nerf more than Tolerance, you Can still fail 3 or 4 times even with the Tolerance buff Up.

· Tolerance Drops off when you Log out
· Tolerance Drops off when you Die
· Tolerance Can be purged off with ward or mystic.

I get the frustration, I feel bad for players who are unable to pvp without someone failing 10 cure potions in a row. You can come over to pacific and I will show you how to counter Tolerance, so you are able to be an impact Player. and Maybe help you our in your 2 on 2 game.
Is any of that supposed to matter? And if you want advice on how to win 1v1s or even numbered fights at an alarmingly high rate- the exact opposite of how you win them- I am available to help out the lesser pvpers. Heck, you even named your character wish i paith after me. Silly guy.

p.s. already killed ya plenty on pac when i played there. ty

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I looooove PvPers display their fragile egos. :lol: