• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best tank/dungeon runner tame these days?

Seynix

Adventurer
So I am a bit overwhelmed with all the options, what kind of critter should I be going after to take on paragon/dungeon stuff? A GD? A Cu? A combo of other stuff?

Thoughts? I want to figure out what to go for so I can start mass taming them for one with good stats :)

Also, if I switch to elf, do all my stats carry over/and my applied power scrolls/skill cap increases?

I don't mind walking through dungeons either if GD is still a solid choice. Thanks!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Any five slot works fine. You can use a 5 slot giant beetle to kill Greater Dragons. You have a place to put hides and gold.

That's the great thing about the pet revamp.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If you're talking about doing the elf quest or using a race change token, then you're fine. All of your stats and skills will carry over. If you make a new toon, well then the answer is no, you'll need to get all of the scrolls again.

As for the pet, I agree with Pawain, any 5 slot pet should fit your needs. While I don't have a 5 slot giant beetle, I can see how good one would be for a good old dungeon crawl.

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Any five slot works fine. You can use a 5 slot giant beetle to kill Greater Dragons. You have a place to put hides and gold.

That's the great thing about the pet revamp.
There is my next project lol

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yepp.. agree with everyone else. Only thing I would add is if I was going to hit a high magic dungeon area I would use the Naja. Their 140+ resist and poison immunity makes things a lot easier.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Dimetrosaurs are good for the first 3 levels of most champ spawns, but you are better off leaving and switching out for something tougher for the last stage and boss.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To add to what was said above, I would not bother with GD if you have time to train a pet. GD has good stats, but you cannot customize it to your needs and it makes it inferior to customizable pets.

Seynix

Adventurer
I don’t mind training up a pet, just trying to determine the best one to start the process on. I might have to switch to elf to get into the Cu game lol.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don’t mind training up a pet, just trying to determine the best one to start the process on. I might have to switch to elf to get into the Cu game lol.
My tamer has always been human. I have 2 blacks, 2 whites, 2 ice, 1 red and many other colors. Find someone looking for a specific color and help them kill off the plain ones and they will give you the other colors.

Tatos

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I was surprised with my pre-patch White Wyrm tonight in the Halloween dungeon. It only died once during the whole Jack sequence with only a handful of people there. Now it doesn't heal like a Cu Sidhe, obviously...so I had to be near by at times when the spawn got heavy. I enjoy it's 759 Strength...and when I could remember to bless it, the strength went up to 800-something.