• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dread Warhorse Successes?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
My son "accidentally" started training on his Dread. I had already been reading up on the threads in here about them (slot jumping etc) so I told him I would stable it and not bring it out until Pub 98 hits and they fix the slot jumping issue.

But.. that led me to thinking about the best course of action after the Pub hits. Anyone run across any great temps for the Dread yet?

Tatos

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I've seen in a couple of places that training a dread is useless...that I nightmare can just about accomplish the same thing...and I just don't see it. Now granted, I started playing again (after 2 years off), after Publish 98. But I've seen no jumps, and have basically trained my dread exactly how I would have wanted.

So I have a pre-patch mare to compare to my dread...and my dread was an excellent pet to begin with (really a strong strong pet with only Cold resist being about as low as can be, so it was rated 3.9). The pre-patch mare is inferior to my dread, in my opinion. It took a full slot of training from a strong 4.1 rated nightmare to just get to the level of my dread (HP, Int, and resists)...so already we're at a wash as far as the nightmare accomplishing the same as a dread (remembering that the dread was 3 slots and the nighmare was 2 slots).

Now I did add poisoning to my nighmare. I would not recommend that. I'm still trying to GM poisoning so I can likely waste more points on magery mastery just to allow my nightmare to cast magery again. I've heard that there is an outside chance that once GM poisoning is reached, magery is re-activated, but I haven't gotten there yet so I'm not sure. Depending on what I add as far as Power Scrolls go (I'll likely go 110s), and if I add poison breath (and if I have to add magery mastery) I could have more HP and regens than my dread...I'm not certain.

Here's what my dread looks like :
900 HP
700 Str / 150 Dex / 160 Int (it had 158...so I used one point to round it up because I'm OCD like that)
150 Stamina / 608 Mana
80 / 80 / 60 / 80 / 65 on resists (I've since decided that I like 80 / 80 / 55 / 80 / 70...but you live and learn)

Regens is where I sacrificed points, because I wanted lots of Power Scrolls) 10 HP Regen / 20 Mana Regen

This IS a dread warhorse...so I wanted it to still be a worthy pet...so I added 115 PSs on everything : Wrestling, Tactic, Anatomy, Resists, Parry, Magery, Eval Int, Meditation and Focus

The only special move I added was Armor Ignore.

Now...I think I do prefer my lesser hiryu with bushido and armor ignore to the dread...but the dread is still strong, and probably my next preferred pet. I have not tried training a reptalon yet...so I don't know where that will fall in....but I think that a strong dread is far from an inferior pet that is not really worth training.

Last edited:

Zepheus

Visitor
I got too excited with animal taming and clicked "Beging Training" on my Dread Warhorse prior to Pub 98 and after the patch went in my Dread went from a 3-slot to 4-slot...emailed support, they said they couldn't help. Emailed Mesanna, no reply so far...so I will just leave it in the stable I guess.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I got too excited with animal taming and clicked "Beging Training" on my Dread Warhorse prior to Pub 98 and after the patch went in my Dread went from a 3-slot to 4-slot...emailed support, they said they couldn't help. Emailed Mesanna, no reply so far...so I will just leave it in the stable I guess.
Release and retame fixes the other pets that gained a slot. I dont have one so I dont know if there is anything special required to tame one again.

900 HP
700 Str /
Sounds like it had plenty of points. Certainly not useless.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Release and retame fixes the other pets that gained a slot. I dont have one so I dont know if there is anything special required to tame one again.
Dreadmares are considered 4 slot pets, they just legacied them at their originally tamed 3 slots like they did all other legacy animals that now are a slot higher in the wild. If you release and retame a Dreadmare they will retame at 4 slots even if they were 3 slots before. Unfortunately there is no fix to people who started training before patch 98 that I am aware of.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do Dreads have to be subjegated in order to be retamed? Just curious because i know banes are.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dreadmares are considered 4 slot pets, they just legacied them at their originally tamed 3 slots like they did all other legacy animals that now are a slot higher in the wild. If you release and retame a Dreadmare they will retame at 4 slots even if they were 3 slots before. Unfortunately there is no fix to people who started training before patch 98 that I am aware of.
OK. Sounds like @Tatos has a damn fine one then.

I want a blue one to bank sit on.

So, a pre 96 would be 3 slots and all others would be 4 slot? And if you have a chance to buy a 3 slot one do it?

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did a release and retame with my Bane on test. My issue at that time was forgetting about subjugation. He let me know after 10+ years it wasnt going to be easy retame. He refused to listen to all those promises we tamers make.

Its no fun whitling away the hp togo tame it. Only for itto heal itself again and again.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
OK. Sounds like @Tatos has a damn fine one then.

I want a blue one to bank sit on.

So, a pre 96 would be 3 slots and all others would be 4 slot? And if you have a chance to buy a 3 slot one do it?
Kinda. All Dreadmares were 3 slots originally when they came out. If you attempted to train it pre-98 it would immediately jump slots to 4. However, after the taming revamp, the base slots for Dreads were set to 4. So unfortunately the release and re-tame trick won't work on slot-jumped Dreads, like it does on other slot-jumped pets. If you release and re-tame, it will become a 4 slotter (or stay a 4 slotter if currently bugged).

So anyone with an untrained Dreadmare will have a 3 slot dread currently and should be safe to train it now that the slot jump bug is fixed, but anyone that trained or bugged theirs out is unfortunately stuck with a 4 slotter.