• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Newb Question on Pet Slots

I am a new"ish" returning player from years ago. Last time i played was 09, so I used KiRin and WW / Rune Beetle.

So I've tamed this so far and it doesn't seem to add up.
White Wyrm 3 Slots
Rune Beetle 3 Slots
Ki Rin 2 slots

Nightmare 3 slots Why?
Bake Kitsune 3 Slots Why?

For some reason I've tamed 3 Kitsunes and they all have 3 slots? I've only seen the 1 nightmare so far. Can anyone explain why fresh tames are requiring extra slots? I know that you can change stuff now for training which is Awesome, but whats going on with the fresh tames?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kitsumes are 3 slot. Very sad they are not 2.

There are 2 slot Nightmares and Fire Steeds.

If you have a Nightmare that pre dates pub 96, it will be a better 2 slot than the ones you can tame now.

Lesser Hiryus , Cus, Giant Beetle, Fire Beetle and Najasaurus make some of the best serious pets.

The great thing is you can train many pet types and make something fun to play with.

So stratics is wrong on some things then? How new is the latest update? Ive always ran Nightmare and WW combo so I guess I cant do that anymore... Either way Ill look into this new Taming setup and make some cool pets I guess.

Is lesser Hiryu better than the Big Hiryu now? Basically it comes down to CU or Hiryu is what im seeing, or so it seems?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Lesser Hiryus , Cus, Giant Beetle, Fire Beetle and Najasaurus make some of the best serious pets.

The great thing is you can train many pet types and make something fun to play with.
lol... what the heck is a serious pet?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So stratics is wrong on some things then? How new is the latest update? Ive always ran Nightmare and WW combo so I guess I cant do that anymore... Either way Ill look into this new Taming setup and make some cool pets I guess.

Is lesser Hiryu better than the Big Hiryu now? Basically it comes down to CU or Hiryu is what im seeing, or so it seems?
You can still run with nightmares, I have some pretty awesome ones trained up.

It isn't just about CU's or Hiryu's, in fact there are a lot of times they are just terrible choices.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lol... what the heck is a serious pet?
One that has room for scrolls and good stats. I dont consider a Skree a serious pet. It could be if it were 2 slots.

You can still run with nightmares, I have some pretty awesome ones trained up.
Yes i could have made a longer list. I have a really nice Crimson fire drake. Cold Drakes with over 100 skills are good.

The guy is a newb. Lessers and Cus are the easiest things to train up and have a productive pet.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Actually if the guy were a "newb", I would point him in the direction of a cold drake, so he saves 60-90 million in scrolls, can try out different templates without breaking the bank and have a pretty awesome pet.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
One that has room for scrolls and good stats. I dont consider a Skree a serious pet. It could be if it were 2 slots.
My Unicorn has been rocking Terort Skitas. When all other nonguild tamers/pets/players are dead (including CU's), she's still rocking away.

Could she use more training points, sure... but she really is an amazing pet, I mean amazing (unfortunately as I hate the unicorn model). So all capped/all 120 scrolls isn't everything when it comes to pets.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If an older pet is potentially lower slot, you can release and retame (then of course have to wait a week to rebond, if you don't buy a pet bonding potion) to get them to adjust slots.

The giant beetle and Fire beetle are perfect examples: They were originally 3 slot, but are 1 slot under the new system. And, you can train them up to 5 slot.

You can make either a non-caster equivalent of a Rune by training 1 level, then adding AI, Mortal, Rune Corruption and Poisoning in that order, then pump their Stam, Dex, STR and HP (note that if you raise the STR on a Giant Beetle, that annoying "your pet is fatigued" BS when a beetle has more than a quarter capacity load goes away). It's still fairly weak at 2 slots, but you could use it with a WW in a similar manner to the rune. However, if you take it up to 5 slots, they become monsters (and are still rideable, and the giant beetle is still a pack animal). One reason is that they start with 500 mana and INT, so you don't have to spend any points on those, and it gives them plenty of mana and mana regen to use their specials. My friends are in awe of my 5 slot giant Beetle that is my preferred pet for doing the Shadowguard roof (which, if you've not done it yet, is like 4 consecutive boss fights, and drops an incredible amount of gold - I can fill the Beetle if I hurry, before we time out of the area).

You can make either a non-caster equivalent of a Rune
I mean Im good to build any pet from a 1 to a 5 if its actually worth it.

My Unicorn has been rocking Terort Skitas.
I have a near perfect resist KiRin with max STR and a couple other close to max stats... I don't know if it matters anymore as stratics seems to be wrong but i]I'm willing to train it up.

Actually if the guy were a "newb",
I'm not a newb by any stretch of the word, but I am super new to the new training system. I don' know which pets are worth actually training. I have a Rune, Bake, WW, CU, KiRin, NM, Plat / Crim Drake. I have lots of pets that seem to all work, but For me being new to the new system it all seems wasteful when i can just go get a Hiryu and max out Bush and Chiv and call it a day... I am still not sure if thats a thing but it seems to be that with all the new, alot of the old is summarily useless. While at the same time some Useless pets can now be some of the best. Just a complete change of direction

You can still run with nightmares
Ill try taking my NM up to 5 slots and see how it stacks up. Thanks for the idea

Thanks for all the advice. Its a lot to digest and try to figure out which direction to take which pets, and which pets to ignore.

Thanks so much guys!

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ill try taking my NM up to 5 slots and see how it stacks up. Thanks for the idea

Thanks for all the advice. Its a lot to digest and try to figure out which direction to take which pets, and which pets to ignore.
If you have an old two slot nightmare, we found overriding their Magery for Chiv to be pretty powerful spec. And the fact that their damage type is split 3 ways can have advantages

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have lots of pets that seem to all work, but For me being new to the new system it all seems wasteful when i can just go get a Hiryu and max out Bush and Chiv and call it a day... I am still not sure if thats a thing but it seems to be that with all the new, alot of the old is summarily useless. While at the same time some Useless pets can now be some of the best. Just a complete change of direction
Can't really go all in one direction and call it a day. There is no one best pet. There are too many factors to consider

Ask all the FWW pet owners how they did in invasions when it didnt work at all. (I saw FWW pets doing the invasion for 3 weeks and laughed)
Ask CU owners how well they take down Nightmare Fairy (Paragon even)
Ask the people who have a chiv CU/hiryu how well they compete against sampires/casters in Sorc Dungeon.

You want several different pets, different damage types, different ability templates. And then you have to figure out how the pet will work with your template.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
yep -

Many tamers use a poison-area pet (breath?) for low end spawns (especially non-fel ruleset ones like dragon turtle), then switch to more of a tank pet for the last few candles.

Shadowguard works best when fighting Anon, when every pet present has a different damage type profile, as Anon shapechanges to a form with high (100%?) resist of one type (and a damage category eater property based on that form, from what I've been told), based on one of its attackers. I've seen forms that are Physical, Fire, Cold, and poison (all elemental types); not sure if I've ever seen his energy form. If your pet isn't doing that form's damage, you can keep attacking, while the ones that are need to pull their pet off. A good mix is 1 pet with physical (giant beetle, GD, most normal pets), 1 with fire (fire beetle), 1 cu sidhe(cold/energy), and 1 that does over 50% poison. That way 3 of 4 can attack at all times, and all 4 when Anon's human. And, even with just 2 or 3 tamers, it still works better when the pets don't match - 4 pets just confuse anon more.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you have split damage types, you dont need to even pull off an damage type he switches too

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you have split damage types, you dont need to even pull off an damage type he switches too
The people I play with SWEAR they read something that every bit of damage done to him by the high resist type of his polymorphed for, he gets as healing instead of damage, but I've never seen any written evidence of this being the case.

Vortaku

Visitor
If an older pet is potentially lower slot, you can release and retame (then of course have to wait a week to rebond, if you don't buy a pet bonding potion) to get them to adjust slots.

The giant beetle and Fire beetle are perfect examples: They were originally 3 slot, but are 1 slot under the new system. And, you can train them up to 5 slot.

You can make either a non-caster equivalent of a Rune by training 1 level, then adding AI, Mortal, Rune Corruption and Poisoning in that order, then pump their Stam, Dex, STR and HP (note that if you raise the STR on a Giant Beetle, that annoying "your pet is fatigued" BS when a beetle has more than a quarter capacity load goes away). It's still fairly weak at 2 slots, but you could use it with a WW in a similar manner to the rune. However, if you take it up to 5 slots, they become monsters (and are still rideable, and the giant beetle is still a pack animal). One reason is that they start with 500 mana and INT, so you don't have to spend any points on those, and it gives them plenty of mana and mana regen to use their specials. My friends are in awe of my 5 slot giant Beetle that is my preferred pet for doing the Shadowguard roof (which, if you've not done it yet, is like 4 consecutive boss fights, and drops an incredible amount of gold - I can fill the Beetle if I hurry, before we time out of the area).
Which is better, the fire or the giant? I am really thinking I want to do a beetle, just to be different!

Would the best way to train its normal fighting skills be via the shadow iron ele in the fire beetle mines? any chance you would share the template for your beetle :D

Also there are different hues for everything, except beetles?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The people I play with SWEAR they read something that every bit of damage done to him by the high resist type of his polymorphed for, he gets as healing instead of damage, but I've never seen any written evidence of this being the case.
Just meant pets do so much damage now, especially 3 or more on anon, that so much does is being done that ny healing isn't noticeable.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I understand you, but any idea where those people I play with got the idea that they were healing anon if they attack anon-as-earth-ele with physical, etc.?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Which is better, the fire or the giant? I am really thinking I want to do a beetle, just to be different!

Would the best way to train its normal fighting skills be via the shadow iron ele in the fire beetle mines? any chance you would share the template for your beetle :D

Also there are different hues for everything, except beetles?
The Fire Beetle does 100% Fire damage (compared to the Giant's 100% physical), and has a different set of additional powers (I think it can get an AoE when the Giant can't).
On the other hand, the Giant Beetle still acts as a pack animal, while the fire beetle isn't a pack animal (though both can still be used as a mount).

I've actually heard of some resource gatherers experimenting with a tamer as their miner, with both beetles (one 2 slot, the other 3 slots). They smelt on the fire beetle and load the giant beetle.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I understand you, but any idea where those people I play with got the idea that they were healing anon if they attack anon-as-earth-ele with physical, etc.?
Because he does heal based on damage from that school of damage attacking him. Get 5 gd and put them on anon, see what happens when he goes earth ele

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If Anon does, then taking any pets that aren't 100% one element are dangerous, and the ones that are 50/50 need to be pulled off two forms, not one. And, unfortunately, the ones I see telling me to pull my beetle off the Earth ele are not following their own instructions when they leave their own pets that are 50-90% physical on it. :banana:

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If Anon does, then taking any pets that aren't 100% one element are dangerous, and the ones that are 50/50 need to be pulled off two forms, not one. And, unfortunately, the ones I see telling me to pull my beetle off the Earth ele are not following their own instructions when they leave their own pets that are 50-90% physical on it. :banana:

Pet dps is so high now that it's a nonissue unless you have several pets of the same damage type on him. Split up the types of damage and its cake.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
not if all the split damage pets are 90/10 physical/other.