• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Kyronix, I don't think you thought this through...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Kyronix

So, the Nightmare Fairy (any relation to the "Good Idea Fairy"?) is tougher than Jack, makes the WWE look like Pencil Neck Geeks (300-400 Wrestling skill), has the calming power of the Dryad, and can spawn as Paragon? Did anyone ever consider what the sum of those parts mean on the half of the shards with a low population?

Most of the active non-red players currently on Lake Austin have been fighting a paragon Nightmare Fairy now for over 2 hours. We've not been able to drop it below the high 90s% health (and it often heals up to apparent full). Between the continuous lesser spawn constantly respawning as we fight, and the fact that we quickly find ourselves all calmed (and can't keep the NF from switching targets to the Vets, and the mages/mystics have to cast summons then duck around a corner, and even that doesn't work half the time), the event has pretty much come to a screeching halt, after we were able to make 2-3 cycles through the entire spawn progression with less people from the afternoon through 8 Eastern. We've even begged the reds to find blue characters to come help, and still no progress with even that.

The other bosses are beatable paragon - this Paragon Nightmare Fairy is more like Freddy Kruegar.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Follow-up: After nearly everyone switched to tamers (including some people who only venture out of Fel to do EM events) and we amassed more people doing it at once than at any point earlier in the day, we finally were able to beat it after another half-hour (I was typing when they finally started making headway, and had stepped to a safe area). It was a combination of multiple pet special moves hitting all at once, not the actual base damage, that allowed us to start making headway. As soon as the fairy dropped, over half the people immediately left to go back to where they had been (not doing the event)

Still, 6-8 people (some came and left with there being no sign of progress) should not be stuck for 2 hours with the health bar not moving - unless it was the health bar itself that was bugged and it was taking more damage?

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
done 3 para pargon bosses so far np but I can see that fairy one being a complete pain lol. I had to redress enough on a normal one. in cc lol

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As the Fairy is based on Dryad code, you don't have to worry about undressing if you use a female character. Just Saying....

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I kinda think they base everything off Atlantic's population which really sucks for everyone else.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
On Europa the Halloween dungeon swings between being too crowded and being too empty, The way the spawn is in the 'active' rooms is causing this problem, if the normal dungeon spawn was still on and gave drops at a slightly lower rate people would just find a patch and camp it, leaving the active rooms free for groups or people who want more challenge. When it's crowded it's bordering on dull unless you get chased by a paragon....when it's empty one or two players can't manage the spawn. There seems to be no middle ground at all. Europa isn't the lowest population shard, other places must be having similar if not worse problems.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As the Fairy is based on Dryad code, you don't have to worry about undressing if you use a female character. Just Saying....
Whoever thought using the dryad base for a boss in an event where the whole point is to damage as many targets as possible was clearly trying to troll us to no end. Being calmed or naked (read that out of context, eh?) doesn't make for great UO combat situations. I mean, I guess use polymorph, eh? I don't know, all it does for me is make me want to leave the event when this room is active.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Whoever thought using the dryad base for a boss in an event where the whole point is to damage as many targets as possible was clearly trying to troll us to no end. Being calmed or naked (read that out of context, eh?) doesn't make for great UO combat situations. I mean, I guess use polymorph, eh? I don't know, all it does for me is make me want to leave the event when this room is active.
Don't be a dude... chicks don't have a problem with that one... save the calming... which is moderately annoying.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poly morphing into a female doesn't help either. Very annoying when all your characters are male.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Check the HP regeneration. Some of these regenerate faster than they can be damaged. Sampire doing 6-12 points of damage per swing? Yup, our sampires don't even bother fighting the "boss" because that's pretty futile, and it's not where the "drops" come from anyway.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Check the HP regeneration. Some of these regenerate faster than they can be damaged. Sampire doing 6-12 points of damage per swing? Yup, our sampires don't even bother fighting the "boss" because that's pretty futile, and it's not where the "drops" come from anyway.
Earlier this week, a sampire was shouting that all the tamers should attack the boss (paragon headless elf) and he and his buddies would clean up the spawn. I just had to shake my head.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well that fairy as a para is totally crazy...and isn't fun, it's another chore to do just like going to work.
I don't like working, I like playing UO for fun and sport. So I'm not ashamed to say it, I am one of those that leaves when it spawns like that. It's stupid.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix

So, the Nightmare Fairy (any relation to the "Good Idea Fairy"?) is tougher than Jack, makes the WWE look like Pencil Neck Geeks (300-400 Wrestling skill), has the calming power of the Dryad, and can spawn as Paragon? Did anyone ever consider what the sum of those parts mean on the half of the shards with a low population?

Most of the active non-red players currently on Lake Austin have been fighting a paragon Nightmare Fairy now for over 2 hours. We've not been able to drop it below the high 90s% health (and it often heals up to apparent full). Between the continuous lesser spawn constantly respawning as we fight, and the fact that we quickly find ourselves all calmed (and can't keep the NF from switching targets to the Vets, and the mages/mystics have to cast summons then duck around a corner, and even that doesn't work half the time), the event has pretty much come to a screeching halt, after we were able to make 2-3 cycles through the entire spawn progression with less people from the afternoon through 8 Eastern. We've even begged the reds to find blue characters to come help, and still no progress with even that.

The other bosses are beatable paragon - this Paragon Nightmare Fairy is more like Freddy Kruegar.

if it cant be killed, its not exactly a huge deal since you still get the spawn (which is the main objective anyway). If you dont have enough people to kill the fairy, your still getting more drops than people playing atlantic who could kill it more easily. I farmed the fairy room while it was paragon on a male sampire with one other person there and got about the same number of drops as a normal room.

I agree, its an annoying room, but still no real reason to kill it other than to move to another room.

Solution: work together to NOT kill a good rooms boss, so you have less chances of spawning a paragon fairy. Best to just do the Jack room (best spawn rate), but make sure you dont kill Jack.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Earlier this week, a sampire was shouting that all the tamers should attack the boss (paragon headless elf) and he and his buddies would clean up the spawn. I just had to shake my head.
I did the opposite. I grabbed a para cookie monster with my pet and took it into the hallway. I called out in gen chat that I would hold it there while they killed the spawn. Two of them kept coming over and taking it back to the spawn when they ran from the damage. I told them in overhead chat, go kill spawn, I'll keep this here.

After a while of that. I told them in gen chat, You hold the boss in the hall and I'll kill the spawn...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if it cant be killed, its not exactly a huge deal since you still get the spawn (which is the main objective anyway). If you dont have enough people to kill the fairy, your still getting more drops than people playing atlantic who could kill it more easily. I farmed the fairy room while it was paragon on a male sampire with one other person there and got about the same number of drops as a normal room.

I agree, its an annoying room, but still no real reason to kill it other than to move to another room.

Solution: work together to NOT kill a good rooms boss, so you have less chances of spawning a paragon fairy. Best to just do the Jack room (best spawn rate), but make sure you dont kill Jack.
This!

It's WAY BETTER to farm a good room then quickly kill the pointless boss and move on.

The best rooms to farm are 1, 3, 5-9. I SMH at the people who trip over each other trying to kill Jack as quickly as possible instead of drawing it out and farming the spawn.

Best thing to do with a paragon nightmare fairy is to keep it occupied at the north end of the room with pets tanking it (but not really doing much damage) and then to farm the room.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best thing to do with a paragon nightmare fairy is to keep it occupied at the north end of the room with pets tanking it (but not really doing much damage) and then to farm the room.
Unfortunately, this is zero fun for the tamers trying to kill it and having to heal with bandages because they're calmed. It just turns into a long cycle of letting the pet do its best and then trying to get it out of the room, rez it, and start all over again while you hope no other paragons kill you in the process. It takes forever and you get no drops during the process. And when the darn thing finally dies, the loot is terrible.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Unfortunately, this is zero fun for the tamers trying to kill it and having to heal with bandages because they're calmed. It just turns into a long cycle of letting the pet do its best and then trying to get it out of the room, rez it, and start all over again while you hope no other paragons kill you in the process. It takes forever and you get no drops during the process. And when the darn thing finally dies, the loot is terrible.
It works ok if your pet has Goo or something to blow up all the small spawn about... and yeah loot on bosses is useless garbage. Having to waste your pet on a boss because no one else is taking a turn keeping it occupied.

Personally I would rather just farm the spawn.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've dual cliented the fairy room. One on spawn and a tamer running consume with a fire Drake in the fairy.

Obviously not doable for everyone, but it works. She's also the only boss that poses much of a threat, the rest are flairly meh.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've dual cliented the fairy room. One on spawn and a tamer running consume with a fire Drake in the fairy.

Obviously not doable for everyone, but it works. She's also the only boss that poses much of a threat, the rest are flairly meh.
I don't have a good enough computer to pull that off. It's bad enough leaving an extra character logged on for emergency rezzes in a quiet part of the dungeon and trying to remember it so it doesn't log out.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't have a good enough computer to pull that off. It's bad enough leaving an extra character logged on for emergency rezzes in a quiet part of the dungeon and trying to remember it so it doesn't log out.
I think that Dot forgets that the rest of us don't have cartoon immunity to everything except dip.

My experience with Jack's room is it's the hardest to farm, by far. No one can seem to keep it distracted into the hallway further than the doorway, without it teleporting back in, and when he's in the room, ANYWHERE, he WILL see you and head your way, even if occupied.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Either a pet or some melee toons keep it at the door on LS. I dont know why. The rest pick a quarter circle and kill spawn and die from paras. You get a good amount of drops. The player skeletons need turned on now.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think that Dot forgets that the rest of us don't have cartoon immunity to everything except dip.

My experience with Jack's room is it's the hardest to farm, by far. No one can seem to keep it distracted into the hallway further than the doorway, without it teleporting back in, and when he's in the room, ANYWHERE, he WILL see you and head your way, even if occupied.
In my experience Jack must find my character terribly alluring or something because no matter where I am in there he teleports to her repeatedly killing her again and again like she's some terrifying threat or something... She must have some pheromone I'm not familiar with on or something.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The question is does your character cause Jack to disrobe? If so you might be related to the Nightmare Fairy :D