• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best PVM Mage Tamer temp? Don't want to waste mythic

Seynix

Adventurer
I don't want to use the token on skills that can raised relatively easily to 90 so here is kind of what I was thinking:

Taming
Anim lore
Music
Provo
Magery

Then I would manually level meditation/eval int with remaining points

Thoughts? I will be solo mostly I imagine and don't care about PVP much.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If it was me and I was set on using music I would run with Disco instead of Provo.. but as they say opinions are like armpits *shrugs*. If I was not dead set on using music I would still be on the Mage/SW/Tamer train.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Spellweaving will help a tamer a lot. You have to do the quest on the char FIRST. The rats in lower Sanctuary is the easiest.

You have to decide to either have Eval or Med. Im doing magery and eval GM. The rest 120. Left over in Med. Im going to have mana regen on suit and have 55 LMC, I wont use Med skill.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Heck the 120 points in SW is worth it just to be able to self rez (without training Sacrifice) and not have to lose out on a ML Peerless etc because something went a little wrong imo. But those 750++ WOD's are some great icing on the cake.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It will be at least 3 years before I'm at 120 SW. I hate skilling.
That's why I watched for cheap 5.0's to take me from gm to 120. Getting to gm isn't that bad.. from gm on was way too slow for me.

Hmm hadn't considered SW, which part of it benefits tamers in particular?
Most used spells for me are Gift of Renewal, Gift of Life and WOD. No fight goes by without those 3 for me. I also use Arcane Empowerment and Reaper form a good bit for the added sdi. I get targetted and Attunement is the first spell I cast lol.

Also when running spawns.. Wildfire, Essence of Wind and Thunderstorm are continual. Anytime casters are around T-storm and slowing their casting down is great. Last but least occasionally I used Ethereal Voyage to tame some higher end critters.

Also, there are a lot of times (like the Sorc dungeon stuff) I leave the pet in the stable and hit the Level 3 Reaper and just become a caster. All around great temp imo.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I personally use elf for the increased mana. @Pawain is right on the money in the post above. High mana, LMC, and MR on this build is crucial. Although I do use the med skill instead of going with the non med armor for the additional lmc. Even with the additional lmc and high mr I was running out of mana a lot but could not med to speed up the process...

now.. if CC had the insta switch suit that EC has? I would be carrying two suit and use the 55 lmc suit until I needed to Med, then I would switch to the medable suit.

Slappyjipper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I use a necro mage tamer in a spell damage increase suit. Very fun template and super strong. Pet to tank, vet & taming mastery to heal pet, wraith form for huge mana supply, corpse skin for fire resist debuff, flamestrike with a slayer spellbook for awesome damage, wither for clearing multiple targets. I have used this template to solo every champ spawn and a bunch of bosses (meli, shadowguard roof, dreadhorn, shimmering, stygian dragon, travesty, corgul etc...) And by solo I mean just one character - no second account :)

The skills I use are:

Animal Taming
Animal Lore
Vet
Magery
Eval
Necromancy
Spiritspeak

The template does require some skills on suit such as Midnight Bracers and Wizards Curio - maybe some +skills on jewelry too to boost the skills above 100. It is best to be 120 in both taming and lore for the full benefits of the taming mastery.

Fun temp and very versatile.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it was me and I was set on using music I would run with Disco instead of Provo.. but as they say opinions are like armpits *shrugs*. If I was not dead set on using music I would still be on the Mage/SW/Tamer train.
Agree. Provo is more useful for a non tamer bard, to get something to do the damage to things you discord. If you have a pet you don't need that.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I don't want to use the token on skills that can raised relatively easily to 90
Depending on whether you consider making more chars and whether you have access to soulstones to swap skills, you might consider adding a few other harder skills? Cause Animal Lore, Musicianship and Magery we consider all relatively easy skills to raise to 90.

KimDeago

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Spellweaving will help a tamer a lot. You have to do the quest on the char FIRST. The rats in lower Sanctuary is the easiest.

You have to decide to either have Eval or Med. Im doing magery and eval GM. The rest 120. Left over in Med. Im going to have mana regen on suit and have 55 LMC, I wont use Med skill.
What do you mean you have to do the SW quest first?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Seynix

Adventurer
Ok, so I just looked at the cash shop and you can get a soul stone, but it looks like it needs a house to be placed in? If so, I will have to wait on that a bit lol. If I did make that happen somehow what skills would be better to add?

I figured musicianship would probably not be the best one to add.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
can get a soul stone, but it looks like it needs a house to be placed in?
In order to use the SS, you have to be in a logout area (house/inn/etc...). It doesn't have to be locked down.
If you want to keep it in your bank and swap skills, you can go to luna upstairs to the inn, from where you can also access your bank box.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
120 taming
120 lore
120 spellweaving
120 eval
100 magery (85 real + 15 TOLK)
90 vet
45 med (65 if human)
20 hiding (0 if human)

High SDI/MR suit with a level 6 focus.

Seynix

Adventurer
So I have my token and finished that SW quest, even have 1 point in it, but that option is greyed out on the token.. To the googles!

Seynix

Adventurer
120 taming
120 lore
120 spellweaving
120 eval
90 vet
45 med (65 if human)
20 hiding (0 if human)

That looks like a fun build, but why take vet if you can heal through magery/SW?

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
If I did make that happen somehow what skills would be better to add?
It is a bit difficult to answer that as there are quite some skills hard to raise. If you want to have your own crafter some day, you might want to add some crafting skills as most of those are a lot of work to raise them. And it will save a lot of resources when starting at 90. But if you think you'd sooner make a fully skilled Bard, besides Provocation, Discordance is also slow to raise we feel. And as said Discordance can be a strong combo with taming. (However, nowadays your pets could also learn that, which might be something to consider...) Maybe some others have some good suggestions?
On a side note, we didn't know yet soulstones can be used without a house, thanks Thrakkar! But bank would not be that efficient if it is to swap skills between chars. Still, the smallest houses are less than 40k, so we think it would be easy to get that in not too much time. Might even find friendly people willing to help with that. Not sure where you are playing, but we know Europa has a lot of friendly people. :):)

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
but why take vet if you can heal through magery/SW
With Vet you can res your dead pets, without it you cannot. And since you mentioned you think you might be playing a lot solo, it would be worthwhile to have it.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That looks like a fun build, but why take vet if you can heal through magery/SW?
Vet comes in handy in a couple ways...

First, ressing a dead pet. It will happen, and it really blows if your solo or in a group without vet and you’re pet is out of commission.

Second, with eval and spellweaving you can devote your mana to dealing damage and use aids for healing thus improving your DPS without sacrificing your pets survival.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do disco on my tamer, I use a non-meable suit with max lmc int and mr I go 120 tame 120 vet 120 lore 120 music 120 disco 100 mage and 20 in focus with some extras on jewels. This is my favorite.
Has some draw backs with no eval no extra power in casting..fails some on strong poisons and no summons. I run a 5 slot pet, summons are out anyway. The extra damage for eval is more than made up by just discordance and the mastery is just icing on the cake. Fights are much shorter as well. long story short

Disco for the win.

Seynix

Adventurer
Ugh, SW still greyed out, not sure why I can't use the token on it! I even raised it a few points for good measure.. Anyone know what the trouble is?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Diso Tamer is my bread and butter.
but i have been running my SW Tamer a lot more this last couple months.
with both ya need to really make a good suit.
Disco tamer needs a 55LMC 30MR suit with good resits so you can cast spells and mastery.
the SW tamer needs a SDI suit with LMC and MR so you can drop WOD bombs at the end of a fight.

both have their needs and places.

disco tamer 120 disco, music, taming, lore, vet, magic.

SW tamer 120 SW, med, taming, lore, vet, magic.

that what i run anyways.

i did mess around with lower vet, magic and med augmented with my suit so i could put some necro and SS on and run in wraith to get back mana from damage done.
worked well most of the time.... until you drop WODs on a mob that does not have man to steal - then your high and dry!

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 taming
120 lore
120 spellweaving
120 eval
90 vet
45 med (65 if human)
20 hiding (0 if human)

JOAT doesn't work like that for med. Anything above 20 real or modified skill and JOAT is no longer a factor.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Ugh, SW still greyed out, not sure why I can't use the token on it! I even raised it a few points for good measure.. Anyone know what the trouble is?
Because SW is one spell that you have to train from 0 in game no matter what. Never available on any tokens that I know of.

Seynix

Adventurer
Yeah I have the spell book that I got from the quest and the two spells. I even raised the skill a few points, but when i use the token on the guy I did the quest on, SW is greyed out :(... Is it being broken because my guy is still "young" maybe? The other skills can be selected of course.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
NO. I just got it from a Token this weekend.
Wow.. grats. I tried every way I could to get the SW off a mythic token for my wife's account. Even took her char through the sw quest and it would never highlight.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thats just wierd. The skill is there but grey unless you have the quest. (or should be) Its like throwing, you have to be a garg or it is grey.

I would have not been happy if it were grey on mine.

Kinda ticked that you cant imbue spellweaving on jewelry. The Kotl ring doesn't have it either.

"young" maybe?
"I renounce my young player status" and try. It is worth it!!! Im loving the template! Just 2 days old.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Perhaps your total skill points are now too high if you already worked some? Think you have to be below a certain level

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
JOAT doesn't work like that for med. Anything above 20 real or modified skill and JOAT is no longer a factor.
The JOAT doesn’t have anything to do with the med, it has to do with the hiding... with JOAT you don’t need 20 hiding so you can drop those points into med.

Seynix

Adventurer
screenshot_000.jpg I renounced my young status, and it is still just grey on the token skill selection page. I put in a GM request, but that probably won't do anything lol. *edit* I checked my total skills and they are still under 200 since I locked them all before I started the quest.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Put the arrows up for the skills you want and cancel and start over. The GM may be able to help. Especially if it is GM Rivers.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The JOAT doesn’t have anything to do with the med, it has to do with the hiding... with JOAT you don’t need 20 hiding so you can drop those points into med.
I see what you meant now. So if you're an elf/garg, why even have 20 hiding? You have magery so you can cast invis if you want to. Why not just put it into med or vet?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I see what you meant now. So if you're an elf/garg, why even have 20 hiding? You have magery so you can cast invis if you want to. Why not just put it into med or vet?
Perhaps it’s just me, but I find the ability to get a real hide off to come in pretty handy.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget that there are now jewels that can have up to and beyond 60 skill points. During the invasions I pulled a legendary bracelet with 65 skill points. Some of the skills even fit a template. With the perfect ring and bracelet set, mark of travisty and the proper attire you can gain what, 210 over your skill cap?

Of course, finding just the right stuff might take some time. But can you imagine what you could do with all those additional skills? It boggled the mind...

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Perhaps it’s just me, but I find the ability to get a real hide off to come in pretty handy.
Certainly not just you, in fact we could go as far as to declare Hiding to be our fave skill in game! :) :) Too bad that is not on jewels!