• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hello again!

Calla Lily

Journeyman
I played on Chessy from 1999 to 2005, when I got discouraged that a GM Blacksmith's colored armor wasn't being sought after anymore with all the new magical armor out there. But I miss the game so much and would like to play again. I still have UO dreams, where I start out playing it on a computer, but then I end up IN the game, they're very fun!

One question is that I'd like to switch to a west coast shard, but I don't know much about their populations. I'm looking for one that isn't too crowded that I can't place a house, but crowded enough that there are other people to hunt and roleplay with. I had a big store on Chessy and am looking to start up at least a small shop on my new shard. My old accounts are gone since it's been over 10 years since I quit paying on them, and I don't think there's any way to get them back, but I don't mind starting over from scratch, which I'll have to do on a new shard anyway.

My other question is whether a crafter can still make a living running a shop. My girls were able to make every craftable product available at the GM level, and I did most of my own resource gathering. My crafter was one of my favorite characters, and I'd like to rebuild her.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Shandara

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Calla Lily, I play on Great Lakes and there is enough of a population to support my habit and still spots available for max storage houses.
With all the BODs (bulk order deeds) for the eight different trade skills, my crafters earn a very comfortable living. Please let me know if I can help get you started again.

Calla Lily

Journeyman
Hi Calla Lily, I play on Great Lakes and there is enough of a population to support my habit and still spots available for max storage houses.
With all the BODs (bulk order deeds) for the eight different trade skills, my crafters earn a very comfortable living. Please let me know if I can help get you started again.
Thank you for the offer, that's very kind of you!

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you decide to play on Pacific, let me know. I'll do what I can to help you get settled in. There are a couple of housing spots on New Magincia which are open, if you want one or both of those. You could probably find some max storage plots pretty easily, however. Also, did you know there is now vendor search in the game? Welcome back!

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Welcome back to UO. Although we won't be on the same shard, but every returning UO player is a gem. Hope you stay on like me and first thing now find a jaw-like teleporter and head to Sorcerer dungeon to hunt the spawn. Happy Halloween!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Vendor search has helped the small shops not in Luna a lot, but I don't see much a crafter (Alone) can do worth buying. You'd need something to get materials from champions.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Always consider Siege if you are up for a challenge and like a great economy!

Calla Lily

Journeyman
If you decide to play on Pacific, let me know. I'll do what I can to help you get settled in. There are a couple of housing spots on New Magincia which are open, if you want one or both of those. You could probably find some max storage plots pretty easily, however. Also, did you know there is now vendor search in the game? Welcome back!
Thank you for the offer! I have been watching YouTube videos of what UO is like now and found out about the vendor search feature. Not sure how it all works yet, but I'm anxious to fine out :)

Calla Lily

Journeyman
Vendor search has helped the small shops not in Luna a lot, but I don't see much a crafter (Alone) can do worth buying. You'd need something to get materials from champions.
I'll have a mage/tamer and also a warrior who will be hunting for me. It will be fun building them from scratch again.

Calla Lily

Journeyman
Welcome back to UO. Although we won't be on the same shard, but every returning UO player is a gem. Hope you stay on like me and first thing now find a jaw-like teleporter and head to Sorcerer dungeon to hunt the spawn. Happy Halloween!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for the welcome back, I'm really looking forward to it. *LOL* Don't think I'll be jumping into any dungeons right away.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another thing, with the new taming changes, you can build up a newbie tamer to about 55 taming and 65 animal lore, train up two regular dogs to 2 slot creatures and you can hunt quite a bit with them. I like to give them 73 in every resist, high hit points, max out their damage, and give them maxed hit point regen and they survive quite well against much of the spawn out there. That also gives you 600 points left to play with the rest of your template.

Calla Lily

Journeyman
Another thing, with the new taming changes, you can build up a newbie tamer to about 55 taming and 65 animal lore, train up two regular dogs to 2 slot creatures and you can hunt quite a bit with them. I like to give them 73 in every resist, high hit points, max out their damage, and give them maxed hit point regen and they survive quite well against much of the spawn out there. That also gives you 600 points left to play with the rest of your template.
Thanks, I'll remember that. Don't know if I ever tamed dogs.

Calla Lily

Journeyman
Questions about the new banking system. Does each character still have a bank box, and does it open when I say “bank”? How is the new system different from the old one?

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Questions about the new banking system. Does each character still have a bank box, and does it open when I say “bank”? How is the new system different from the old one?
Yes, they still have an individual bank box you access by saying bank. Gold, however, is now shared by all characters. Just ask minters for a balance or open the bank box using a minter's context menu. Most things you can simply buy without carrying gold now. It will withdraw directly from your bank. If you need gold, however, just say withdraw amount.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

Journeyman
Yes, they still have an individual bank box you access by saying bank. Gold, however, is now shared by all characters. Just ask minters for a balance for open the bank box using a minter's context menu. Most things you can simply by without carrying gold now. It will withdraw directly from your bank. If you need gold, however, just say withdraw amount.
Thank you :)

Calla Lily

Journeyman
What shard did you wind up picking?
*LOL* I’m still not sure. My new comp will arrive this weekend (I hope!) so I haven’t even been able to install the game yet. I’ll probably make a starting char on each of the west coast shards to begin with and see which I like the best, somewhere with a good population and still room to build. I don’t know anything about any role playing groups or guilds or player-run communities on them yet. I’ve only played on Chessy and Siege, but that was years ago.

nextwindow

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I played on Chessy from 1999 to 2005, when I got discouraged that a GM Blacksmith's colored armor wasn't being sought after anymore with all the new magical armor out there. But I miss the game so much and would like to play again. I still have UO dreams, where I start out playing it on a computer, but then I end up IN the game, they're very fun!

One question is that I'd like to switch to a west coast shard, but I don't know much about their populations. I'm looking for one that isn't too crowded that I can't place a house, but crowded enough that there are other people to hunt and roleplay with. I had a big store on Chessy and am looking to start up at least a small shop on my new shard. My old accounts are gone since it's been over 10 years since I quit paying on them, and I don't think there's any way to get them back, but I don't mind starting over from scratch, which I'll have to do on a new shard anyway.

My other question is whether a crafter can still make a living running a shop. My girls were able to make every craftable product available at the GM level, and I did most of my own resource gathering. My crafter was one of my favorite characters, and I'd like to rebuild her.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
somewhere, I think, I read that there is an offer from broadsword to recover old acts.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you try Lake Austin, ask around in General chat for help from UMP guild.

They are one of the better communities there, and there is a new/returning Player Center in UMPtown outside Umbra, with gear to outfit most templates.

HAP and a couple other guilds are good with helping returnees as well.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
mmmmm never mind max secure storage....go big!!! double max storage!! .......u will be able to place a large keep on all /any shards except atlantic....the only draw back is the better populations like chezzy /gl/ ls /eu ..it may have to be in felucca ...but yes there are many spots in trammel on lesser shards like pacs/ cats/ ...just saying there not hard to find

Calla Lily

Journeyman
If you try Lake Austin, ask around in General chat for help from UMP guild.

They are one of the better communities there, and there is a new/returning Player Center in UMPtown outside Umbra, with gear to outfit most templates.

HAP and a couple other guilds are good with helping returnees as well.
Thanks for the info!

Calla Lily

Journeyman
mmmmm never mind max secure storage....go big!!! double max storage!! .......u will be able to place a large keep on all /any shards except atlantic....the only draw back is the better populations like chezzy /gl/ ls /eu ..it may have to be in felucca ...but yes there are many spots in trammel on lesser shards like pacs/ cats/ ...just saying there not hard to find
I’m looking forward to customizing a house again. Fun times!

Calla Lily

Journeyman
Well I’m back in Britannia and am loving it so far. Twelve years is a long time to be gone, but I never lost my love for the game or my chars. Luckily I was able to resurrect my two old accounts, and even though most of my chars are about complete with their skills, I do have a couple that need to be trained still. Since they were already on Chessy, I decided to see if I could find housing spots before I tried looking on other shards, and I found a lovely spot near Skara Brae where I was able to place an 18x18 with a small shop next door, which I haven’t set up yet. Chessy used to be so crowed, but in three days of playing, I’ve seen maybe ten people. Even many of Luna’s shops have no vendors. Where is everybody? And I need to learn about imbuing. It calls for so many ingredients, and I’m not even sure what it does. Lots of changes and so many new things! This is going to be fun

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know on Pacific, all the regulars hop on General Chat and keep up with each other that way. Which client are you using?

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For classic client, there is a chat button on the menu bar (assuming you have the menu bar up). You can click that and join General Chat. Chatting is much like party, guild, and alliance chat but you hit the comma key to chat.

As for the enhanced client, you can just download and install it and fire it up to use it. You can have both clients installed if you like.

Calla Lily

Journeyman
For classic client, there is a chat button on the menu bar (assuming you have the menu bar up). You can click that and join General Chat. Chatting is much like party, guild, and alliance chat but you hit the comma key to chat.

As for the enhanced client, you can just download and install it and fire it up to use it. You can have both clients installed if you like.
Thanks for the info, I'll download that one too :)

Calla Lily

Journeyman
Welcome back Lily. I remember those days, standing at west brit forge and asking 10k for a full shadow plate suit or 500g for repairs was amazing money, and well appreciated.

Sadly the game is nothing like that now, inflation since then is over 250,000% and greed is rampant, not to mention you don't even need a smith with repair deeds nowadays, but some new stuff is waiting for you too. Have fun!
Thank you! I have to learn all about imbuing now :)

Calla Lily

Journeyman
Quick question: How do I see which animals I have stabled without claiming them? Didn't there used to be a way to call up the list of animals?

slippjeem

Looking for a whispering rose for Little
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
GL is a great shard I can find you as many houses as you need ;o)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For Role-Playing (at least in CC)

CTRL-S - arm salute
CTRL-B - bow