• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Suggestions please

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have ever visited Europa you are likely aware of the amazing welcome that members of the community give to new and returning players. Lien, Petra and, the simply inspirational, Molly Foxglove assisted by a lovely group of like minded players are proactive in helping new folk and returning folk find their feet in Sosaria.

We have been lucky enough to be gifted the use of a castle. We would like it to be a place where new and returning players can find each other, learn their craft and get settled into UO. We hope that we can encourage them to find their own reasons to stay in this lovely world, whether it is RPing, crafting, pvping or bank sitting. It is a shame I think that potential EJ players would not be able to benefit from such a haven but we see returners fairly often and they always seem bewildered by that evolution of the Sosarian experience.

We are looking for your ideas and suggestions. If you were a new player what would be the best help you could get from other, established, players. What facilities and tools do you think would be needed? How could we could help best? I know there are helper guilds out there on Atlantic and Siege, could you share your experiences so that we may help better. Every player that stays makes all of our experiences richer.

Thanks to you all in advance.

pevil

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
As a player who returned in May but never played enough to be established and have lots to return to, I think the following would be helpful:
  • The obvious workstations (forge, anvil, loom, soul forge etc) all in one place for those who want to start a crafter along with a public chest anyone can put materials into/take from. I know this could be subject to scamming (someone waiting until there's a bunch of iron ingots then just hoofing it with the lot) but surely worth a try? We had a similar thing on another game I played and you could at least play it safe by mining up what you needed and using it to store it during your one play session then simply making sure you used it all up before you logged off
  • With the above idea have an armoury; not top end stuff but little scraps of armour that have been found or crafted whilst training that would be useful for someone with nothing (don't want to take away the joy of crafting your own suits or take profits from those who sell top end suits)
  • Rune libraries (I'm sure there are plenty around) or at least runes to rune libraries to cut down on duplicating everything
  • Guild libraries - runes to guild houses and books with descriptions of what those guilds like to do perhaps? It can be overwhelming if you're new to the game and someone suddenly invites you; you want to join because friends! But at the same time it might not fit with what you want out of the game.
  • Libraries with hints and tips in. Not suggesting we re-write the entirity of Stratics or UO Guide in-game but maybe some brief "need to know" on each skill/suits/game mechanics and in the front of each book have a link to the more useful sites if people want to go look up more
  • Could designate an "RP room" in the castle to encourage those who want to give that a try without forcing it upon others using the facilities or vice versa, the RP-ers feeling let down when there isn't anyone else around wanting to join in
  • Along the same lines of the hints and tips library, have a "major changes" book. Just a brief mention of any huge changes without detail (so for example "Spring 2017 - new Pet Training". No need for details but then someone who hasn't been on for 2 years could look and go think "Ok, big changes to taming/magery/dungeons, I'll go look up what has changed".
The main thing is helping people find the castle really.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you have ever visited Europa you are likely aware of the amazing welcome that members of the community give to new and returning players. Lien, Petra and, the simply inspirational, Molly Foxglove assisted by a lovely group of like minded players are proactive in helping new folk and returning folk find their feet in Sosaria.

We have been lucky enough to be gifted the use of a castle. We would like it to be a place where new and returning players can find each other, learn their craft and get settled into UO. We hope that we can encourage them to find their own reasons to stay in this lovely world, whether it is RPing, crafting, pvping or bank sitting. It is a shame I think that potential EJ players would not be able to benefit from such a haven but we see returners fairly often and they always seem bewildered by that evolution of the Sosarian experience.

We are looking for your ideas and suggestions. If you were a new player what would be the best help you could get from other, established, players. What facilities and tools do you think would be needed? How could we could help best? I know there are helper guilds out there on Atlantic and Siege, could you share your experiences so that we may help better. Every player that stays makes all of our experiences richer.

Thanks to you all in advance.

Rather than having stuff given to me I would have liked to just be taken to all the bosses I missed.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
With the workstations I'd just add a publicly usable Commodity Deed Box... folk can bring what they need to use in deed form with extra deeds and just clean up their supplies and take them with again when they are done.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
One of the reasons I've left a lot of times was no one was doing the older content. They would schedule nightly things but rarely was there ever anyone going. (UWF is an exception. Their events were always active.)

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for the replies so far, they are are most useful. Keep them coming please!

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We are looking for your ideas and suggestions. If you were a new player what would be the best help you could get from other, established, players. What facilities and tools do you think would be needed? How could we could help best?
Company. Having someone to talk to.
After all it is an MMO and hanging out in Teamspeak makes the whole experience so much better. Even the most boring or daunting tasks get bearable, if you have nice company to talk with or maybe just listen to.
Plus you can always ask for help or tips.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Company. Having someone to talk to.
After all it is an MMO and hanging out in Teamspeak makes the whole experience so much better. Even the most boring or daunting tasks get bearable, if you have nice company to talk with or maybe just listen to.
Plus you can always ask for help or tips.
There is a public Discord Server... for UO that someone here created... no one really uses it but Discord IMO is 10X better than Ventrillo and 12X better than Teamspeak or Skype or any others.

You can check it out and give it a try here is the link to the public UO discord: Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers
Making your own server is super easy too... and best of all FREE.

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If anyone wants to come along and take a look at the great work that's been done already, a house teleporter has been placed at the RAA Shop. It's located on Europa, Trammel, just northwest of the Brit Swamps on the road from Britain to Minoc / Vesper. Coords are 52o 8'N, 38o 44'E.

upload_2017-10-4_22-3-48.png

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You might want to check out the public houses (including the Player Center for new and returning players) in UMPtown, on Lake Austin. The player city is on the road outside Umbra.

The Player Center has various stations for each skill through the house, with tools, guides, and even free weapons and armor. We run the proprietor ragged by constantly filling up the house lockdowns with donations (including my donating legendary artis that I have no template for).

kalexpor

Adventurer
If anyone wants to come along and take a look at the great work that's been done already, a house teleporter has been placed at the RAA Shop. It's located on Europa, Trammel, just northwest of the Brit Swamps on the road from Britain to Minoc / Vesper. Coords are 52o 8'N, 38o 44'E.

View attachment 72892
this RAA shop is very good. and is very active. at this shop, i bought very very many goods which are very good and very cheap, and which are very important. this RAA guild shop is well known shop in europa. also, foxglove is this guild.

Last edited:

Abyss-

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Shops like RAA are very important. Cause they are pretty much always stocked. On Europa you can find much more on vendor search compared to Drachenfels. It's always good for new players to be able to find cheap basic LRC gear, repair deeds, dragon barding deeds, powder and so on. Weekly public events like Net-Toss, Exodus, etc would be a nice thing too. Farm Exodus keys together and exchange to get full sets for all.