• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Re-release Banes and Dreads!!

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After having such an upgrade to pets with the latest patches, why not just put Dreads and Banes back in the game to be tamed. Nightmares are more powerful then dreads can be. Why give people a rarer pet that is weaker then any pet in game now. I think its time to put these back into the game. Also when doing so put a normal food on the bane dragon and stop with the stew stuff.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Isn't some rares collector going to say that the new banes and dreads have to be tagged with [replica] to avoid diluting his collection?

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember a player asking Mesanna about just this and the answer was no.
Her reason was sound, the mare and dragon were part of a chain of the story line and limited to that time frame.
It was not like they didn't warn us that this was the case.
Even weeks before the end they kept telling and warning the end was near.
Yes the population who has one has dwindled and you don't see many... its not the dev's fault the tamers who have the stockpiles of them are not playing.
Which is the real reason we do not see them around most are in stables that might never see the light of day again.
Its not just the pets, tons of the server births are in bank boxes that too will never be seen again.
I do not expect the Dev to add them any time soon..
Just as I do not expect the dev to reissue the server births.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your right about the stables I have 17 banes on one of my characters

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I do not expect the Dev to add them any time soon..
Just as I do not expect the dev to reissue the server births.
Many server births are available as the same graphic. And there has been plenty of cases where they re-released items for no particular reason. 16th anniversary horse, ask and answer ball, mini house deeds....

Ducan IronWeaver

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Instead of bringing either back, how about just start up anew global taming event..
Create like 2 or 3 new mounts with a handful of different colors or so.
Or go full blown and do 5 new mounts, one for each hit type phys/Fire/Cold/Poison/Energy.
All have the same stat ranges, just different hit type and starting specials..
Run the event for 2 or 3 months. Or maybe cycle the hit type to last a whole year. Like fire for 2 months, poison for 2 months, and ect, ect....

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
1. They should just introduce a pet slayer property for that.
2. It would be nice to have those spawn again since quite a few of us weren't even playing back when they first spawned.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Am sorry to say it they already bring some many things back and they need to stop doing it. How many of us have spent so much time and gold rather hunting them when they spawned or buying them from other players . The only way it would be right is make it cost in game gold to buy one am talking 300 to 500 million gold that way the people that paid that it would have to spend the same amount to buy it from a vet player

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't have any dreads.. they should not be given out again . some people paid hundreds of millions for one. to give out again will just piss people off, again. gimmie gimmie gimmie, I want I want I want. there are plenty of really good pets now. just my opinion

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm of the mind that Dreads and Banes should be brought back. I have a Bane and could care less if the Gold Piece value goes down. They are a pet and not a collectable. All tamers should have access to the same pets.

Not to mention the Developers screwed up. They ruined alot of pets with publish 97. Alot of Dreads and Banes only got one round of training instead of two.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cough hooded shroud of shadows AOS Preorder............ Charger of the fallen can't remember but was to be limited........... Soul Stones SE Pre Order only........ picking +5 to stats or AOS clothes and then giving every one +5 to stats that chose clothes, lol on the 20th anni token they should have given a AOS clothes choice so all of us that took the +5 to stats could have our special blessed clothes. That is just a few of the most obvious things re-released to everyone.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Tyrath everyone got AOS clothes, it was +5 skills or +5 stats so they should give us who picked +5 stats a +5 pink in the skill we like to get.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm of the mind that Dreads and Banes should be brought back. I have a Bane and could care less if the Gold Piece value goes down. They are a pet and not a collectable. All tamers should have access to the same pets.

Not to mention the Developers screwed up. They ruined alot of pets with publish 97. Alot of Dreads and Banes only got one round of training instead of two.
Except if they were to spawn again, they would be 4 slot and not 3 due to their stats. They can still be found rather readily from players. For the most part Nightmares are better.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Publish 98 changed them back to 3 slots do there stats. So, they would spawn as 3 Slots. I respect fully disagree with you on Mares being better. On Legends I've not seen another Bane.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They should re-release dreads in the crypts.

*chirp* *chirp*

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Publish 98 changed them back to 3 slots do there stats. So, they would spawn as 3 Slots. I respect fully disagree with you on Mares being better. On Legends I've not seen another Bane.
Actually you are incorrect. They would spawn as 4 slot. The Developers just made the current ones legacy, retaining the same slot count they were tamed at. Release and retame your bane/dread, see what happens. It becomes a 4 slot the moment it goes wild and retains that 4 slot upon being tamed.

As for mare being better, I was referring to Mares vs Dread. Legacy mares are much better than legacy Dreads, unless perhaps if you wanted a nox dread or the different damage type set.

On Atlantic I have picked up quite a few banes and brought them back to my home shard.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They should re-release dreads in the crypts.

*chirp* *chirp*
I said they should put them into that spot they destroyed the Keep in Illshenar... it's an eyesore now and having the Vanguard there permanently might be nice.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOLOL, I love when people whine about how much gold they had to spend on getting one and that's why they shouldn't bring them back. How many times have people had to redo suits due to upgrading from imbuing to reforging, then global loot. What difference does any of that make. I can understand not putting them back before the taming revamp, but now there is no reason not to. They would just be another slot taken up in peoples stable that's it. Pvp wise, the damage reduction has made pets useless again, so that doesn't matter either. Gold has no value anymore in UO. I have three dreads so its not like I need one, I gave away probably 15 dreads and banes back when they spawned. Stop with the greed, that's a huge reason this game almost dead.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
LOLOL, I love when people whine about how much gold they had to spend on getting one and that's why they shouldn't bring them back. How many times have people had to redo suits due to upgrading from imbuing to reforging, then global loot. What difference does any of that make. I can understand not putting them back before the taming revamp, but now there is no reason not to. They would just be another slot taken up in peoples stable that's it. Pvp wise, the damage reduction has made pets useless again, so that doesn't matter either. Gold has no value anymore in UO. I have three dreads so its not like I need one, I gave away probably 15 dreads and banes back when they spawned. Stop with the greed, that's a huge reason this game almost dead.
^^^ This ^^^ People need to stop trying to make a living off the game and just get over this greed crap it's killing all the fun and enjoyment in the game... once upon a time people went to events for the entertainment and companionship... good stories and friendship... Now no one will show to an event if they don't think they are getting something worth at least 100M...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was not like they didn't warn us that this was the case.
Even weeks before the end they kept telling and warning the end was near.
You know it's possible that some people were not playing at that time. It was quite a while ago.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know it's possible that some people were not playing at that time. It was quite a while ago.
I was one of those people. If I want a bane dragon or dread mare for one of my tamers, I should not have to pay several million in gold for one. There is NO other pet where I'd have to do this - if I want a 4.0+ Greater Dragon, I can just (eventually) tame one for myself. Same for every other pet that can be leveled up - if I want to use scrolls for them, I'll simply do spawns until I get the ones I want (while praying to RNJesus for his cooperation.)

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I was one of those people. If I want a bane dragon or dread mare for one of my tamers, I should not have to pay several million in gold for one. There is NO other pet where I'd have to do this - if I want a 4.0+ Greater Dragon, I can just (eventually) tame one for myself. Same for every other pet that can be leveled up - if I want to use scrolls for them, I'll simply do spawns until I get the ones I want (while praying to RNJesus for his cooperation.)
So, what you are saying is its ok to Pay several millions for event drops, spell books, event cloth, weapons, and deco. but the minute there is an event pet you draw the line?

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
After having such an upgrade to pets with the latest patches, why not just put Dreads and Banes back in the game to be tamed. Nightmares are more powerful then dreads can be. Why give people a rarer pet that is weaker then any pet in game now. I think its time to put these back into the game. Also when doing so put a normal food on the bane dragon and stop with the stew stuff.
They were part of an event. I like the rare event pets...

I would like a Ice Swampy Dragon that has ice breath that slows people during pvp next btw.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, what you are saying is its ok to Pay several millions for event drops, spell books, event cloth, weapons, and deco. but the minute there is an event pet you draw the line?
All of those things are/were available to everyone...but that doesn't mean you'll get them/get the ones you actually want. It's the same with pets. To get a 4.0+ Greater Dragon, I would have to, in all likelihood, kill dozens of Greaters to get one with a high rating.

Bane Dragons and Dreadmares haven't been available (without buying them from other players) in several years, so yes, I will draw the line on event pets. Even if it had happened during the current storyline. Yeah, I would've had several, there's no question of that. If their spawning is turned off after the event ends, it's not fair to the people who weren't playing but end up coming back after the fact.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
In that case, bring back the purple bunnies... or even the silver steed.....

Again, if they were introduced, people would not be happy when they find out they are 4 slot pets...

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
All of those things are/were available to everyone...but that doesn't mean you'll get them/get the ones you actually want. It's the same with pets. To get a 4.0+ Greater Dragon, I would have to, in all likelihood, kill dozens of Greaters to get one with a high rating.

Bane Dragons and Dreadmares haven't been available (without buying them from other players) in several years, so yes, I will draw the line on event pets. Even if it had happened during the current storyline. Yeah, I would've had several, there's no question of that. If their spawning is turned off after the event ends, it's not fair to the people who weren't playing but end up coming back after the fact.
Yeah for me its more of the integrity. It was an event, people did tame them. and we knew they would not spawn again, and they are not too much a few hundred mil is nothing compared to a 4.5 dragon or a blaze cu.

I would not be opposed to a seasonal mount spawn every year for tamers with different hues. One mount I would love to have is the old old school faction shadow lord horse. The Dark Forest green.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Oh yes, my tamer would love a sl warhorse, only my dexxer has one. They should reintroduce all of those to be tamable....

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I want the Grizzled Mare added to the list of trainable pets like they said it would...publish 128 Im guessing.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want the Grizzled Mare added to the list of trainable pets like they said it would...publish 128 Im guessing.
I was really hoping that when M said they would add them that it would have been fairly soon in most peoples definition of soon.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My argument on this in favor of putting them permanently back in game is thus...

The Pet is the weapon of the Tamer... NO other class of character has 2 of it's powerful weapons removed from game and unavailable... what if they made the Spellweaving scrolls stop spawning.... those who have some are they only ones that will ever get to be spellweavers??? IMO it's almost the same.

What if they removed all Composite Bows from game... no longer spawn? Same thing...

What if they took all of the Katana's away? or removed radiant scimitars?

They keep our weapons limited. They should limit the field then... Take out say 6th or 7th circle spells...

Just saying.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The pets were the last useful drop at an event since what...2008?!! LOL. There is no reason not to bring them back as they wont be any where near as powerful as nightmares, They could be tamed for nostalgia sake. I would love for faction horses to be ressed still with bandaids, if you have them still why are they a crutch to use instead of a bonus for playing. I also think that dreads should be available in a couple colors as well, like void or reflective shadow.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The pets were the last useful drop at an event since what...2008?!! LOL. There is no reason not to bring them back as they wont be any where near as powerful as nightmares, They could be tamed for nostalgia sake. I would love for faction horses to be ressed still with bandaids, if you have them still why are they a crutch to use instead of a bonus for playing. I also think that dreads should be available in a couple colors as well, like void or reflective shadow.
I'm ok with this, just not the original Hue.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I asked Mesanna on this as many want one... and the cost is astronomical.
Her reply... NO They were only for that arc and we have no intention to reissue them. ( my take not verbatim)
Your not the first to ask, and I doubt you will be the last.
But don't say I didn't warn you if she bites your head off....
I do have one thing that irks me on your analogy of your request and others idea that because your didn't play or they cant or wont pay for one..,,, this is special grounds for you to get her to spawn them again...
Sorry you didn't play... better luck next time.
As for the wont pay or cant pay... Earn the gold and stop making others into your whiny wash rags.
When authority's say no it means no.
Not maybe, we will think about it, or the silent glare you get.
GET THIS IN YOUR HEADS....
YOUR NOT SPECAIL AND ARE NOT DUE ANY BETTER THREATMENT THEN THE REST OF UO PLAYERS.
So get off the poor little ol me routine.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Angry rant
Ah, I guess we should all shut up about it now, since Mesanna's #1 fan has spoken.

If there weren't precedent for re-releasing old content, I'd be inclined to agree with you...but it exists:

1) Old EM items reintroduced as Champ Spawn Replica drops, or as Blackthorn turn-in rewards (Lt Sash)
1b) Crimson Cincture, Conjurer's Garb, and Tangle (just to name a few) get different graphics from being Blackthorn turn-ins.
2) Recently reintroduced invasion spellbooks with higher SDI than they previously had, but this time added another group in the form of Slayers with the SDI cap of the old invasion spellbooks.

Can't pay/won't pay: Let me ask you a couple questions. 1) how many Bane Dragons/Dreadmares do you have? 2) How many do you sell to other players?

btw, it isn't a question of not having the gold, because I (and probably everyone else posting in favor of their reintroduction) do. To me, it sounds like someone is hoarding both pets and doesn't want their cash cow devalued. Neither pet is actually worth the gold people charge for them, because there are vastly superior pets now.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I guess I'm just too nice and not a greedy selfish person...

I can't tell you how many banes and Dreads I tamed... it was quite a few. I never sold a single one. I still have a few Dreads... very few. I gave several away. Same with Banes. Gave them to friends who returned to UO and never got the opportunity to get one. Guess I'd rather have happy friends than some gold in game.

But my argument still stands... It's a weapon of the tamer... they don't limit those things for any other class.... why is it they are always crapping on Tamers???

My guess is they still loathe tamers from back in the day when a tamer could have 20+ dragons in tow... Well think they have crippled the Tamer more than enough by now... so much so that the "Taming" update was a nice pipe dream but wasn't really that much of a bonus... they still had to go and nerf it till it was back to square one practically... sure there are a few good things that came of it... but for some... they missed it.

And what's worse those who did try to improve the Bane or Dread early on got really burned as now their pets are broken... missing out on 1500 skill points. I'm personally glad I waited and refused to touch mine.

I dare you to come up with one weapon or spell that has been so limited of any other class of player. Betting you can't find it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ah, I guess we should all shut up about it now, since Mesanna's #1 fan has spoken.

If there weren't precedent for re-releasing old content, I'd be inclined to agree with you...but it exists:

1) Old EM items reintroduced as Champ Spawn Replica drops, or as Blackthorn turn-in rewards (Lt Sash)
1b) Crimson Cincture, Conjurer's Garb, and Tangle (just to name a few) get different graphics from being Blackthorn turn-ins.
2) Recently reintroduced invasion spellbooks with higher SDI than they previously had, but this time added another group in the form of Slayers with the SDI cap of the old invasion spellbooks.

Can't pay/won't pay: Let me ask you a couple questions. 1) how many Bane Dragons/Dreadmares do you have? 2) How many do you sell to other players?

btw, it isn't a question of not having the gold, because I (and probably everyone else posting in favor of their reintroduction) do. To me, it sounds like someone is hoarding both pets and doesn't want their cash cow devalued. Neither pet is actually worth the gold people charge for them, because there are vastly superior pets now.
I don't even read her replies any more, I simply skip on to the next reply.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why is it when a Person states the fact that the Lead Producer who said not at 1 but 3 Meet & Greets over a year period when asked this question
it becomes a batter the poster issue?
Mesanna said no not one but 3 times ... usually when a no is given its taken as its said.
Being a 2 year old dissing the messenger will not change her mind.
There are just some things the LP will not do, no matter how much you cry, scream, rant, beg, e mail to death.

Tyrath over the years I have asked the lady for a few things... common sense things.
Some she listend to and to my joy were taken while others .... well we all know this one.
I have only asked her for one item in the last 2 years and its not just for me.
To make Bulk Order Books count as a singe item in your bag, secure, bank no matter how many bods are in it. Be it 1 bod to the max of 500.
Its not unreasonable to ask for this for all of us.
Storage is a big issue.
And while vendors are ok they cant be accessed by more then the placer account.
This becomes a problem when you got more then 1 crafter who needs the bods.
But I digress..
IF I am the pot does that make all of you posters the kettles?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why is it when a Person states the fact that the Lead Producer who said not at 1 but 3 Meet & Greets over a year period when asked this question
it becomes a batter the poster issue?
Mesanna said no not one but 3 times ... usually when a no is given its taken as its said.
Being a 2 year old dissing the messenger will not change her mind.
There are just some things the LP will not do, no matter how much you cry, scream, rant, beg, e mail to death.

Tyrath over the years I have asked the lady for a few things... common sense things.
Some she listend to and to my joy were taken while others .... well we all know this one.
I have only asked her for one item in the last 2 years and its not just for me.
To make Bulk Order Books count as a singe item in your bag, secure, bank no matter how many bods are in it. Be it 1 bod to the max of 500.
Its not unreasonable to ask for this for all of us.
Storage is a big issue.
And while vendors are ok they cant be accessed by more then the placer account.
This becomes a problem when you got more then 1 crafter who needs the bods.
But I digress..
IF I am the pot does that make all of you posters the kettles?
You have not a clue how you come off to people do you :)