• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

If there were a new playable race

If there were a new playable race should it be....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Orcs better blacksmith/ Mining ability
High strength cap as well

I’m was just trying to give them some use idk about lotr

Orcs are in the mines so why not they should also have a better chance at smelting and finding high end ore with a bigger harvest

I’m sure many here can come up with better ideas than me

Maybe they can summons elementals as well just because

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There are no dwarves in UO, or in any of the fully developed Ultima games. There are Orcs. This isn't a D&D setting or Middle Earth... it's Sosaria.
Dwarf was an available race to choose in the character creation menu in Ultima 3.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
succubus and incubus we already have already have some of the art work with gargs

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will the orcs look the same as they do now? If so, no! Why cannot they make some item like the goblin creator to turn us in to other beings? Hard to do?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMHO, the dev's are making the ability to turn a character into a not-normally-playable species way too complicated for themselves (an item in the pack). Since they see this as a store item, simply sell a token that adds a special costume-item-only slot to a character's paperdoll. This would instantly open a world of RP opportunities with less overhead.

@Kyronix

Sakkhra aka Kotl -- lizardmen (I don't know why the UO designers changed the Sakkhra into humans for UO, and the Kotl into aliens -- what the pancake devs)
The Kotl were always reptilian aliens...

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
> The Kotl were always reptilian aliens...

Nuh uh.
In the source material, The Savage Empire, the Kotl and Sakkhra are the same -- dinosaurs, native to the Valley of Eodon. The Kotl brought humans to the Valley to be slaves. That didn't work out so well because humans don't like being slaves. So the Kotl developed the Myrmidex. That didn't work out so well either, as the Myrmidex evicted the Kotl from the underground Kotl complex. The exiles called themselves "Sakkhra."

If you can find The Savage Empire, it's worth a play through.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
> The Kotl were always reptilian aliens...

Nuh uh.
In the source material, The Savage Empire, the Kotl and Sakkhra are the same -- dinosaurs, native to the Valley of Eodon. The Kotl brought humans to the Valley to be slaves. That didn't work out so well because humans don't like being slaves. So the Kotl developed the Myrmidex. That didn't work out so well either, as the Myrmidex evicted the Kotl from the underground Kotl complex. The exiles called themselves "Sakkhra."

If you can find The Savage Empire, it's worth a play through.
Partially correct. Eodon was built on Earth by the Kotl as a colony, but they were extraterrestrial in origin. Much of the backstory for the game was lifted from Marvel's Savage Lands.

The Sakkhra are the Kotl, though in UO, according to Kyronix, they are somewhat hybridized with humans (I would have preferred they were lizardmen, as that could have been an explanation for the lizardmen's origin - much like the Solen could be related to the Myrmidex).

While I have a boxed version of Savage Empire, anyone can download a copy from Good Old Games for free.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But that limits what equipment you can use. The point I am making is that I want to be an actual orc with a racial bonus like the elves and gargoyles and humans have. Being a human with human bonuses that looks like an Orc is not the same, period.
Agreed. The same can be said for anyone playing a creature using a costume, which uses up the hand space. That's why I'm also hopeful to get a slight modification to costumes if a new race were added to expand the roleplaying possibilities.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
> but they were extraterrestrial in origin
Citation needed.

The booklet that came with the game called them dinosaurs, and even pointed to a particular dinosaur family from which they were descended. I never got the impression that they were alien colonists.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Litter?

I wouldn't say litter....
Just tote the carcasses around the mountain to the Orc Mine we think Dwarves are pretty good eatin with a little ground Elf stuffing in them :) More so when the carcass has a little age on to it. And those long scraggly beards make great fang floss.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The discussion was over Orcs and their supposed brilliance at Blacksmithing, which I disagreed with.
You used LoTR as evidence that they are no good at blacksmithing. All orcs aren't the same as LoTR orcs.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A favorite series of mine rebranded races so they could copyright them. Aelves are elves... Orcs are Orruks. Would be cool to have a new branded race unique to Sosaria.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
We need alien races in the modern age, Travelling light years to reach Sosaria planet. i vote for race from Pokemon, spongebob, despicable minions, hello kitty and amazon women (Wonder Woman).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would. :/
I figured you'd say something like that. I always figured you for a skaven type of guy.

Honestly, though. I have mixed feeling on putting an official dwarf race in game. Part of me thinks it'd be awesome. But part of me thinks they'd do something that I wouldn't like and I'd be annoyed by the whole thing.

I'd just love to see more beard options.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
> We need alien races in the modern age, Travelling light years to reach Sosaria planet.

Ignoring the "space ace" quest in Ultima 1,
we had a lone Kilrathi in Ultima VII, and a few in Ultima Underworld II. I'll let you look up Kilrathi.

Sir Osis of Liver

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I play this game to break away from my mundane existence. That being said i dont want to wallow in thinking about race constantly. We need to think about gender. All 72 of them! If i want to play an elf androgynous aromantic demigirl this game should support my choice. And you should too! If you dont YOU are a bigot! Just like ur a bigot if you dont want to or have a preference for orcs over dwarfs, you are either orcaphobic or dwarfaphobic! I will not stand for this! The devs should allow us to make 'protest signs' in game at the opression which we are getting by not allowing us to RP as the community with which we identify! We demand this, By Any Means Necessary! Thats right! its time to bring back the time when a man could polymorph into a female and equip female armor! This used to be possible! But the bigots and haters ruined it for the rest of us!
We dont care what hangs out of the codpiece! Hear us roar!
Btw im for Orcs... In dresses...

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Klingons! <chuckle> J/K

Actually I chose other. We have Gargoyles, why not a dragon-based race? Similar to Gargs in that they can fly, essentially same wearables BUT affinity to dragon-class monsters and abilities. I'd envision them as chaotic/neutral. <shrug>