• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Newbie Tamer

Vortaku

Visitor
I am just starting out, still on my trial account. Loving the game so far though! I just gmed my magery, and was trying to decide on what next.

I want to be a tamer so obviously Taming/Vet/Lore are a must. But what else? What would you suggest and why?

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
lots of choices mystic/tamer is popular, also Spellweaving is a popular skill for tamers. You can go archer using archery skill or magery( with mage weaps), you can also do barding( avoid peace it's been nerfed to oblivion). My choice for a starting tamer would be mystic/tamer(with spell weaving if you want to try and squeeze it in) as its the easiest and most useful for a begining tamer(my opinion).also you can go straight mage/tamer if you want to keep eval(would definitely add spell weaving to that)

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally, use 120 Musicianship, 120 Discordance, and 120 Provocation. Putting the skills that I'm not currently using on Soulstones.

I use Discordance for regular PvM stuff, but I put Provocation on when I do spawns. Put the pet on something, the use provoke to make other monsters fight each other.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am just starting out, still on my trial account. Loving the game so far though! I just gmed my magery, and was trying to decide on what next.

I want to be a tamer so obviously Taming/Vet/Lore are a must. But what else? What would you suggest and why?
Tamer Mage is the easiest to operate. Magery gives you what you need to navigate and tame the pets you want. You have damage spells and healing for your pet. You can add Spell Weaving to enhance pets and damage.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards

Have played about every tamer out there, with the exception of the Disco Tamer. Training disco was a pain to me so I stopped and never took it back up. Imo the most effective/easiest/drama free tamer to play is the Mage/SW/Tamer... I like to relax while I play UO after a long work day, not get "ramped up" lol. Between the Animal Taming Mastery 3, using Gift of Renewal, and a nice 5 slot Cu most things are able to be killed off. Set a macro for gheal-target pet, Vet-target pet (one button macro for all of it) in UOAssist and it is truly imo the "lazy man's way to play". Run pro (as a lot of tamer seem to do) and by the time the bandie finishes the gheal is done as well, so works out to be perfect timing and ready to be hit again if needed.

The temp I have personally found to be the best is:

Mage sw tamer.jpg

It's relatively easy to get 800 useful skill points these days, even without using Legendary rings and braces (don't use them because of the dura issues)... 3 mod Scrappers with two +skill and MR.. along with imbued jewls, wizards curio gets ya there. Can take your time building the suit with arties as ya go... I personally use Hawkinds Robe, Scholars Halo, Jumu's Sacred Hide, Tangle, Minax Sandals, Cuffs of The Archmage, Kelp Legs, Protector of the Battle Mage, Lt Sash (replica)... but I AM a full fledged SDI HO!!!! lol.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I am also using tamer mage with Spellweaving. If you can get strength 6 will be nice, over 800 damage for word of death spell. But will need 2 characters with Spellweaving mastery 3 or find others to form an Arcane Circle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

General Lee

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I am also using tamer mage with Spellweaving. If you can get strength 6 will be nice, over 800 damage for word of death spell. But will need 2 characters with Spellweaving mastery 3 or find others to form an Arcane Circle.
I have 120 SW and a level 3 mastery and on my other account I have 100 SW with a level 2 mastery, in brit with just my 2 guys my main Spellweaver get a level 6 and my other guy only gets a level 5.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
For me, both char 120 and level 3 mastery, and both get strength 5 on any arcane circle whether Britain or crafted. Heartwood gives a 4 for both char. I am not sure if the bug is on the arcane circle or the character now. Also sent several bug report emails, hopefully @Kyronix can help soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vortaku

Visitor
Have played about every tamer out there, with the exception of the Disco Tamer. Training disco was a pain to me so I stopped and never took it back up. Imo the most effective/easiest/drama free tamer to play is the Mage/SW/Tamer... I like to relax while I play UO after a long work day, not get "ramped up" lol. Between the Animal Taming Mastery 3, using Gift of Renewal, and a nice 5 slot Cu most things are able to be killed off. Set a macro for gheal-target pet, Vet-target pet (one button macro for all of it) in UOAssist and it is truly imo the "lazy man's way to play". Run pro (as a lot of tamer seem to do) and by the time the bandie finishes the gheal is done as well, so works out to be perfect timing and ready to be hit again if needed.

The temp I have personally found to be the best is:

View attachment 72696

It's relatively easy to get 800 useful skill points these days, even without using Legendary rings and braces (don't use them because of the dura issues)... 3 mod Scrappers with two +skill and MR.. along with imbued jewls, wizards curio gets ya there. Can take your time building the suit with arties as ya go... I personally use Hawkinds Robe, Scholars Halo, Jumu's Sacred Hide, Tangle, Minax Sandals, Cuffs of The Archmage, Kelp Legs, Protector of the Battle Mage, Lt Sash (replica)... but I AM a full fledged SDI HO!!!! lol.
Going with this build:
90 taming power scrolled to 110 and using a +20 jewel
100 animal lore
100 eval
100 magery
100 medi
0.0 spell weaving (doing the quest for it soon to start knocking it out)
50.1 vet

Any tips on training vet? I am currently using a Ki-Rin. What should I be using?
Any tips on gearing? I have about 2 mil on atlantic!

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Going with this build:
90 taming power scrolled to 110 and using a +20 jewel
100 animal lore
100 eval
100 magery
100 medi
0.0 spell weaving (doing the quest for it soon to start knocking it out)
50.1 vet

Any tips on training vet? I am currently using a Ki-Rin. What should I be using?
Any tips on gearing? I have about 2 mil on atlantic!
Cool..

Only tops on vet I can give is don't hunt with a Cu lol. I have never really tried to grind vet out to GM in a short amount of time.. I just hunted with the pets and let vet raise naturally.

A Ki-rin is a decent pet, have not tired a 5 slot one yet, not sure if they can even be taken that high honestly.

Tips on gearing, just gear as ya go. Try to fight things you can handle that drop lendendary armor pieces. Use them to get a decent suit then as your skill and pets skill increase.. grab ya a 5 slot Cu and tag along with folks to Shadowguard etc to get the higher end artis that I mention above.

Also.. since you are on Atlantic.. try to get a pet to Level 5 soon and hit this "Celebration Tournament"... a cool 100m to whoever finishes in first place and 50m to second place ;) worth a shot... Moonglow Appreciation Trounament - First Place 100 Million Gold