• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thanks to the dev team for the 20th Anniversary Story Arc!

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
We all whine and moan a lot on here so I just wanted to take a few minutes to thank the Dev team for the work they did on the story arc. Yes I know it wasn't perfect and some people had problems, but I saw a lot more people on Europa during this event and anything that makes people play more has to be good for UO!
The spellbooks were really nice which caused some anti-social behaviour, but you can't account for human nature!
We also got some new deco items which some of us liked and the rewards were nice too.
Hopefully the feedback they got from the community, both positive and negative will help them with future events! Maybe make it a little bit more noob-friendly too!
Thank you all! :)

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought this was a very good event arc for sure! Sum of all parts is huge, this will be fondly remembered! I missed the Shadowslords thing way back when. Partly due to that I bet, this felt novel indeed. Felt like we had come a long way from those bit meh very basic invasion events that had nothing to them besides just huge pile of mobs roaming all over Britain. I liked and enjoyed the episodic structure of this a great deal. Impression that things are progressing got through. Second and Third part, with their unlinear structure and sense of adventure, as Swordsman put it , was really cool. (Despite coming with soul crushing RNG)

One thing from and during this event what I'd much like to see become a constant thing are those newspaper clips. It'd be very cool to get a new release bi-weekly or monthly or something. Now that system and template for their construction is in place, I'd guess they are be reasonably low-effort to make, tech-side-wise. They could serve as a "slow burner" opener for some up and coming event. In general, punctuating the gameplay with bit more semi-regular " serious" events like these would be awesome.

Writing on uo-com and in these newspaper clips for this event was very well done. Just, I didn't appreciate the overall approach chosen; It was bit of a slow burner and rich in atmospheric fluff. Imo such style would serve great if it were part of some 20-chapter prelude that has and needs air to breathe. But it felt like having a bit too distant orbit to things that were very much ON already. . If freaking elemental titans are one week away from burning our cities, I'd read of a very immediate danger, of very concrete things about these cultists and their activities. Hands on-stuff, not bard songs and Sheryl the mouse.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I enjoyed all of it exept how hard it was to get some of the quest items needed to get the obelisk. Some were lucky but for some it was very frustrating. First part wasnt useful luckily, I still miss the wand but I have a bag full of thoose bottles.. The spellbooks was the top thing for me, I have hoped for generals books since last time and thees were even better so im very happy! Thanks team! Next for me is the obelisk deco, hope it keeps the animation after the event.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We all whine and moan a lot on here so I just wanted to take a few minutes to thank the Dev team for the work they did on the story arc. Yes I know it wasn't perfect and some people had problems, but I saw a lot more people on Europa during this event and anything that makes people play more has to be good for UO!
The spellbooks were really nice which caused some anti-social behaviour, but you can't account for human nature!
We also got some new deco items which some of us liked and the rewards were nice too.
Hopefully the feedback they got from the community, both positive and negative will help them with future events! Maybe make it a little bit more noob-friendly too!
Thank you all! :)
You are most welcome! It's been a while (5 years) since we've done a proper event-arc like that and it was refreshing to be able to offer this kind of experience once again. We definitely learned (and re-learned) some hard lessons that we will keep in mind for future events. Look for a more detailed post-mortem in the next newsletter and remember to send us any feedback you have about the arc directly to build better events in the future!

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I really like this, the only thing I really hated was the amount of SOSs I had to use for the staff quest. At 120 skill I burned thru over 90 SOSs to get enough staffs for four complete boxes plus helped a few guildmates that had zero luck and zero SOSs to get them a few. I assume it was a matter of RNG as another guildmate with 120 skill was fishing them up left and right, lady luck was smiling on that lass, she fished up 12 staffs in one day, and seem to triple any amount I would get on any other day. She was wearing zero luck as I was and both had hit the luck statue daily. Still, I am happy about one thing, she did not get any ship strongboxes as I did. :p

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I enjoyed it very much. I was, however, hoping for one HUGE "boss" at the end. Something that would take the whole shard to defeat. In my opinion, the Titans were able to be killed too quickly. Again, overall, I really had fun!

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Honestly....even though I helped test it before it was live and you said it would ruin it because I would already know what to do..I had a BLAST! Going through it for real was totally different then testing and I really enjoyed every bit of it...yes even the annoying Kalen's Staff.....I got a lot of loot from those SOS's...you know me, glass is half full ;)

NEVER did a trade order until this event....LOVE THEM....lots of pinks and resources I had no idea ;)

Also learned that even though being a tamer without vet STINKS...I was actually able to solo lvl 5 maps with just a mage tamer so that was very enjoyable...I love treasure hunting!

The story was awesome, the detail that was put into everything was very cool...loved that Sherry was a part of it, the Titans were amazing...beautifully rendered, thank you Onifrk!

Lots of cool mementos to be had as well..thanks to 2 very good friends on Origin I was able to have 2 Obelisks and a Kalen's Staff for display! NOW I have to re-do my Luna house..AGAIN ;)

So again a HUGE thank you to the team...really wish I could have met you all and thanked you in person but really from the bottom of my heart, thank you..it was a wonderful way to celebrate 20 years!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lots of community involvement on LS. A couple players had some fun arguments about spellbooks in chat.

Spell books are great.

Liked the way it involved crafter and non fighter templates.

A+ @Kyronix Reduce the amount of BODs needed to fill the trees this year! And the 20th year will be a great year!