• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Endless Journey & Benefits for Paid Accounts

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Heck even many vet players spent a lot of time in despise at the OLs, Cyclops and Titans. Despise was hands down the most used and popular dungeon for everyone from new folks fighting lizard men and farming spined leather to old farts training pets or combat skills to 120s in the depths. To remove that........... Yeah I can only speculate they were off their meds that day.
The despise I remember didn't have Cyclops or Titans. We had to go to T2A for that.

I think New Haven Mine is harped on too much. Except for the OL skill curve at the end I think the New Haven Island is perfect for training. Combine that with Blackthorn's Dungeon for some Eles in there and some mages and you have a little variety.

I think there needs to be more variety don't get me wrong, but it does have a logical progression to GM.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
There was definitely a room that spawned a titan, not sure on the cyclopeans, were they nearby?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They were in there... as well as a poison elemental... I remember it well.

Blows my mind they destroyed the best new player/skill gaining dungeon in-game for that travesty of a grindfest that just is terrible.

At any rate... the need of a NPE is great... if we want to entice new folk to play and STAY then it's a MUST... I've had several folk attempt to learn UO over the years and find it just to confusing and complicated... UO IMO has always been the End All of Gaming... it's not your namsypamsy game that leads you about by a nose ring it actually takes some skill and devotion to master it. It's something you can probably build a character in a day that you can use for a great number of things but most folk who join haven't a clue about the underlying centers of UO like the RP communities which most are now struggling to stay functional... Days of massive battles between good and evil are nearly a thing of the past. But you can still build a character and have great fun without really any skill at all.

I agree new players need about 100k to even get the incentive to stay... if they go to any shop and look at prices on player vendors and the paltry 1k they get they will stroke. Seen it happen. It's too bad the adviser system was abused and such... one of the biggest issues IMO with the game is corruption... but that's been an issue since day 1. Always strikes me as insane when folk talk about wanting more players and getting more folk into PvP and everything but are so quick to crush anyone that even tries then wonder why no one will go there... but maybe that's me. Corruption... Cheating... and then can't figure out why no one will join them... I have a pretty good clue... it's the self same reason many folk are gone never to return.

We need a NPE before we advertise... that's for sure... but once it's in place we need to shout to the gaming world that we are still here... and we are the hight of gaming. Show them the passion we have for UO. Not sure how we'd go about it but there has got to be a way we as a community could come up with an amazing video to put on YouTube or something that just exemplifies everything we really love about UO. Something that could be linked here and on uo.com... Just my thoughts...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was definitely a room that spawned a titan, not sure on the cyclopeans, were they nearby?
They are still there in fel or at least on Siege the titans and cycl. spawn pretty much together around that circular passage before the room with the pond and they even spawn in there on occasion disrupting yer dungeon fishing :)

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Didn't Titans and Cyclops come with T2A? They weren't always there.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When did Second Age come out, 1998? That's why for most people except for The Elders cyclops were always in Despise :)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I only started playing a year or so before AoS, so the titan was always there in Despise, I used to be so scared of those things....but then I was also scared of headlesses, they are just too creepy looking! :oops:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I only started playing a year or so before AoS, so the titan was always there in Despise, I used to be so scared of those things....but then I was also scared of headlesses, they are just too creepy looking! :oops:
I recall my first encounter with death and a Gargoyle... Hearing some strange demonic speech I felt the need to investigate... I never saw what it was... a fireball or two from off the screen turned the world gray... I prayed for my pack horse as I found my ghost somewhere far in Britain at a healers. I made my way back to where I'd been but it was too late... I got there just in time to see some demonic thing chasing my poor packie through the wood and he died. I was too scared to try to assist him and looting him I knew would be impossible... so there he lay my mornings work in his pack still... but I'd lingered too long and the thing hit me again with a fireball of death... I didn't bother returning.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My first death was probably something less scary, but the first death I remember is a Lich in Moonglow cemetery.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
How excited were you when Meridian 59 hit it's 20th anniversary? Just because we care doesn't mean it's a big deal.
Big difference, Meridian 59 as of yet hasn't run 20 years yet. Yes it was released in 1995, but has shut down twice for a total of 4 years meaning it only has 18 years in operation.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Big difference, Meridian 59 as of yet hasn't run 20 years yet. Yes it was released in 1995, but has shut down twice for a total of 4 years meaning it only has 18 years in operation.
You're being pedantic. When in a couple of years it does hit 20, I'm sure you won't be wetting yourself with excitement. Point is, outside of the current UO player-base and maybe a segment of ex-UO players, no one really gives a damn about UO hitting 20.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's really not a big difference. My point is, that no one cares just because it's old. I promise you that no modern gamers care how long UO had been running, mainly because they don't even know what Ultima, let alone UO even are.

I just wish people would accept that UO is what it is. It's not some cultural phenomena, It's just a game we all love, and that's all it needs to be.