• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are you KIDDING me? Quest glitch/bug...

Proserpina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know where to begin but I want to sit in a corner and cry. No game should do this --

I went to do the Breath of Air part to this quest, I get in the cave get the nice message - no piece in my pack. I take everything out of my pack bit by bit - nothing. I ask in gen chat if there is supposed to be a physical actual piece. .. I paged a GM. I had just spent conservatively 5 hours with a cu on another character to get the quicksilver (and then some for mess-ups)...then spent gold on a talisman that had a protection fail rate on it - and then played switcheroo skills magery and tinkering around on soulstones to create two hammers (by some grace of the Gods the only break I've gotten thus far). I hit the cave, say the words -No Breath of Air piece.

My pagan spellbook has also been missing the pictures in it for the past two days and any obelisk in game I am seeing as UNUSED in a large blob. I figured it was just a pixel glitch.

I log into another account, sacrifice the other hammer that took me literally all afternoon to get and try again. The character on the other account's Pagan Spellbook is fine - pictures intact. Hmm. GO back to the miner cave, say the words, get the gump - and there is the piece Breath of Air in my pack - so my character must be glitched in some way.

Alliance member suggests trying to pick up the first piece I already have - I go to retrieve it - (It's been locked down for two weeks and looking fine) and it poofs. Disappears...GONE. Not in my pack, nowhere. I'm still waiting for the GM.

I log in and out hoping that maybe both pieces will be in my pack, nope.

There is one day left to do this and now I am back at the start.

I made a cartographer for this quest. I spent endless hours killing things in Hythloth to get t-maps to get the ingredients for this quest. I didn't get all of them but friends helped with the first part and had extra scrolls and obsidian. I have been doing this for a month - and still only have one piece of obsidian and two scrolls.

Then I drag out a fisherman with 107 fishing - and I fish up over 100+ SOS parchments with 2400 luck. I drag more MIBs back from other shards when my supply is gone and sail around the world a million times - and do not get the staff. This is over in a day and with 100 SOSs done - I did not get the Kalen staff. Again - someone was kind enough to give me one and I gave them the remainder of my SOS stuff.

I go to do the last two parts (and keep in mind now without the help of the wonderful people on Baja I would still not have the book, the first piece, OR the staff)
and it glitches out, does not give me the last piece I need and erases the FIRST %$## piece that I had for the obelisk.

Hours and hours and hours and hours...on weekends and when I get home in the evening - for nothing. Worst experience ever in UO and I am a 20 yr veteran account.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
the guy that didnt get the piece and does not have the pic in his pegan book..... are you sure that you actually put the spell in that book?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My pagan spellbook has also been missing the pictures in it for the past two days and any obelisk in game I am seeing as UNUSED in a large blob. I figured it was just a pixel glitch.
This I can relate to half of my accts see the stuff like the quest altar thing, ale table, plat dragon statues etc as UNUsed. The other half see it as it should be. Sorry I have no advice or solutions but can relate and sympathize with your situation.

ununotfix.png

Proserpina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poo - I passed the pagan spellbook that was reading as no pictures to a character on my other account - HE saw all the pictures and everything perfectly fine.

Tyrath - YES that's exactly how all of the obelisks started to look a few days ago - then the one in my house turned to that (and then poofed when I released it and picked it up)- what the hell is that?

And I'm glad it's not me! Why isn't this fixable?

I've resigned myself to the fact that I just wasted massive time, energy, and aggravation over the last month and have nothing to show for it (The devs aren't going to say sorry and pop an obelisk in my house) - the least they can do is figure out why the UNUSED blobs are appearing and certain things aren't working correctly.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
100% sounds like a patch issue.

1. Make sure you have no other versions of the client open (Or any other programs like assist).
2. Make sure you are fully patched/ opening UO from the patcher not the direct exe in your folder.
3. Again, make sure when you check the character, you only have the one instance of Ultima Online open

You probably HAVE the obelisk piece, but you cant see it, since you are seeing them as unused tiles. It really doesn't sound like a issue specific to the character

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This I can relate to half of my accts see the stuff like the quest altar thing, ale table, plat dragon statues etc as UNUsed. The other half see it as it should be. Sorry I have no advice or solutions but can relate and sympathize with your situation.

View attachment 72543
As you said in your thread, your issue was because you were going around the patcher. If you go around the patcher, you will end up seeing all the new stuff as unused tiles (I just tested it myself).

Proserpina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<---technologically challenged.

I am on the same computer for both. How could it be a patch issue if account #! sees everything off but account #2 is fine. I left the book in a barrel, logged in a nd out and then had both accounts open at the same time and the issue was the same.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah shut down ALL of your clients, re-open ONE through the patcher and see what happens.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As you said in your thread, your issue was because you were going around the patcher. If you go around the patcher, you will end up seeing all the new stuff as unused tiles (I just tested it myself).
That was then this is now and even going through the patcher half the accts see UNU :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Then my suggestion is go through the patcher and click the checkbox for full file check.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you still have the pieces - you just have a client side glitch - they're there - fix your classic client install - fairly obvious what's going on

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If nothing else works, come find me and I will give you an obelisk set. That's too much work for nothing. (Just don't be on Fern or I may well ignore you) LOL

Proserpina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Promanthia is a tech god - or at least that worked. Thank you!!

I uninstalled everything and re-installed (the lengthier version of the control+alt+delete button cure that I am the Queen of). And yes, the pieces were in my pack when I logged back in and yes, I could see them.

I always open through the patcher so maybe something went awry somewhere. I know everytime my laptop updates something gets screwed up.

Thank you, everyone who read this offered suggestions and help and solved this for me. I tried what everyone suggested and the re-install did it.

Thank you Slug for offering obelisk pieces too - though I would never take those from you given the PITA and ridiculousness rating of this quest. You and Mama helped so much already ( I can't believe you like my psychotic necro witch over my self-absorbed fashionista elf who only wants animal print underthings).

And now...this ends tomorrow so as long as I have the pieces back might as well finish this! 6 am is going to come pretty fast...