• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Things you thought would be more important than they are

Callise

Journeyman
There were a few things when I first started that I thought were going to be important than they are.

Eating
- I really thought this was going to play a factor. I kept making sure my characters were always full.
The Weather - I kept waiting for that approaching "fierce storm" to limit my visibility or to deal damage
Herding - I thought for sure this would be needed to give my pets the "follow" command
Death - I thought that dead was dead. A silver serpent got me right out of the Magencia moongate about 2 minutes after my Young Status was gone. I had no idea that I could be resurrected, so I turned off the game, called my husband, and told him that "I lost". I really thought it was game over for that character and I would have to start a new one.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yes I remember eating till I was stuffed every time I went to Despise! I was convinced I got better gains when I wasn't hungry, maybe I imagined it.
Every time I died in those first few days it was like real trauma, I felt so pathetic, like I had failed! Worse still was my horse dying too.
I spent the first hour of playing constantly searching for the elusive save button...I just couldn't get my head around logging out without saving the game...:oops:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Herding - I thought for sure this would be needed to give my pets the "follow" command
Love herding though. Especially in Fel Destard. Takes a patient person to set a trap, but it is pretty rewarding once ya do ;)

Death - I thought that dead was dead. A silver serpent got me right out of the Magencia moongate about 2 minutes after my Young Status was gone. I had no idea that I could be resurrected, so I turned off the game, called my husband, and told him that "I lost". I really thought it was game over for that character and I would have to start a new one.
LOL .. same here. Only I stayed in Death form for almost 2 weeks before I finally ran across a wandering healer who threw out the rez gump.

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
just curious how a silver serpent got outside of magencia moongate, even before magencia got destroyed there wasnt any silver serpents there.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thankfully food is not necessary, what a tedious pointless grind that wold be.

I do remember carrying a stack of fish steaks every where I went just in case "the rumor" was true.

Having weather hinder game play in a sandbox game would just be silly. Ya its rainning I am gonna pass on the group activity today.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I don't care what anyone says about Food in UO. (it's like Luck, they have no idea how it's been wrote into game mechanics)
On my mage if i'm "fizzing" you can guarantee it's because i'm "extremely hungry", munch a few bits till i'm feeling "quite full" and no more "fizzing"

^^^^

This.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There were a few things when I first started that I thought were going to be important than they are.

Eating
- I really thought this was going to play a factor. I kept making sure my characters were always full.
The Weather - I kept waiting for that approaching "fierce storm" to limit my visibility or to deal damage
Wow, what kind of hard core games had you been playing where death was final? :) That's funny

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Getting killed by a red - the first time it happened, I had no idea whether insurance would really get me back my stuff that I had just bought with $40 real life money for gold, and I literally almost had a panic attack - now it's "Fine, go ahead and kill me and get it over with"

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yeah its' a real shame that death is nothing now, insta dress, no loss of town buff, can still talk in general chat, don't even get your pet killed as you log it out. Even when you go in a whole 5 min stat loss, you can just drink a potion to get out of that, no loss of anything really. It's a great shame.