• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

email from EA - is this real?

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The password for your Origin account was recently reset because a standard systems analysis indicated that your user name and password may have been subject to suspicious activity. We have no reason to believe at this time that the suspicious activity is the result of unauthorised access to EA's databases. Instead, such activity could be related to issues with phishing, use of weak passwords, logging in from shared connections or even using the same password on multiple websites. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you and hope you will recognise we're taking this action to better protect your personal data.

At EA, we take the safety of your personal information seriously. Accordingly, we advise that you change the password on any other accounts where you used the same credentials as your Origin account. There are also other things you can do to help keep your account secure: use strong passwords, be sure to change your passwords at least a few times a year and use a unique password for each of your important accounts.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought EA no longer had anything to do with UO. Didn't they sell it a long time ago and hasn't UO been sold again since then?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought EA no longer had anything to do with UO. Didn't they sell it a long time ago and hasn't UO been sold again since then?
EA owns UO and contracts Broadsword to develop and manage the game.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The password for your Origin account was recently reset because a standard systems analysis indicated that your user name and password may have been subject to suspicious activity. We have no reason to believe at this time that the suspicious activity is the result of unauthorised access to EA's databases. Instead, such activity could be related to issues with phishing, use of weak passwords, logging in from shared connections or even using the same password on multiple websites. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you and hope you will recognise we're taking this action to better protect your personal data.

At EA, we take the safety of your personal information seriously. Accordingly, we advise that you change the password on any other accounts where you used the same credentials as your Origin account. There are also other things you can do to help keep your account secure: use strong passwords, be sure to change your passwords at least a few times a year and use a unique password for each of your important accounts.
I would do this if I was you

1) Don't click on any links in that email, just delete it
2) Change your Origin/Login passwords
3) Change your security question

Peace of mind :thumbup:

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get the same thing it happens a lot when i use my work computer/mobile device to access my personal stuff....

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've come across a few Americans who use British spellings, like I sometimes write "publically" which is an old British spelling not used much anymore, instead of the American "publicly" without realizing it.

However in general I agree, when a company from your home country spells things in an abnormal way, that is a huge sign of a scam.

Africa uses British spellings, and a huge amount of spam emails like the Nigerian prince ones come from that region.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've come across a few Americans who use British spellings, like I sometimes write "publically" which is an old British spelling not used much anymore, instead of the American "publicly" without realizing it.

However in general I agree, when a company from your home country spells things in an abnormal way, that is a huge sign of a scam.

Africa uses British spellings, and a huge amount of spam emails like the Nigerian prince ones come from that region.
Funny thing about publicaly. I always want to add that extra L.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Latin is the only dead language. Get with the times grandpa.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got the same email and went directly to the site to reset my password just in case.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

I got scads of these from Blizzard - on an account that had been dead for 6+ years. I mean no activity whatsoever. I let them do whatever they wanted - if it was legit.

As others have said ... do not click any links from that email. Delete it, then you go from a saved bookmark into your account(s) and change the password(s).

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I got scads of these from Blizzard - on an account that had been dead for 6+ years. I mean no activity whatsoever. I let them do whatever they wanted - if it was legit.

As others have said ... do not click any links from that email. Delete it, then you go from a saved bookmark into your account(s) and change the password(s).
I was getting emails from Blizzard, but I never played any games from Blizzard. I never opened them I just deleted them , but that was my email for everything except UO.UO still has its own email. but I set up my emails 1 for games and game stuff 1 for shopping.
To this day I still don't know why I was getting the Blizzard emails.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah. Stop bastardising the English language. We invented it so we will tell you how to say it and spell it ;)

Happy to give anyone lessons if you need them. Just send me a cheque. Not check ... cheque.
Languages evolve.. good example as recently as the early 1800's there were additional letters in the alphabet such as ſ and the debatable & (double letter et). Wynn, Eth, Thorn, Yogh, Ash, and Ethel (þ, ð, ƿ, ȝ, æ, œ respectively) all fell out as the language transitions from Middle English to modern. In reality though, American English is more similar to British English as it was 400 years ago, than modern British English is today in how it is pronounced, and often spelled. Good info to know if you're studying source documents for a history project of some sort.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was getting emails from Blizzard, but I never played any games from Blizzard. I never opened them I just deleted them , but that was my email for everything except UO.UO still has its own email. but I set up my emails 1 for games and game stuff 1 for shopping.
To this day I still don't know why I was getting the Blizzard emails.
Had the same thing happen a few years ago, Lady Michelle. Every e-mail to that address was from EA except for a few purporting to be from Blizzard about my WoW account. Have never played WoW in my life, so it was very odd. Really made me wonder if either EA was hacked or someone on their staff was involved in sending phishing e-mails.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Languages evolve..
They may evolve, but not all progress is good progress.

I present the list of words and phrases added to the Oxford dictionary in 2017:

Adorbs
cray
humblebrag
neckbeard
Doge
SMH (abbreviation for shaking my head, but just those three letters are considered a real word now)
YOLO (you only live once, just the letters are also considered a real word now)
It's over 9,000
All your base are belong to us

English teachers from the early 20th century must be rolling in their graves.

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've gotten the same e-mail, wasn't sure if it was real or not. However, with multiple people receiving it, I'm going to toss it aside as fake. Also logged into my Origin account with my old password. If they changed it as they said, I wouldn't be able to :)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Had the same thing happen a few years ago, Lady Michelle. Every e-mail to that address was from EA except for a few purporting to be from Blizzard about my WoW account. Have never played WoW in my life, so it was very odd. Really made me wonder if either EA was hacked or someone on their staff was involved in sending phishing e-mails.
Same here, never played WoW, in fact avoided it like the plague! I always assumed those e-mails were dodgy, I guess we all know now! :eek: