• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Return to Britannia

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
When was the last time we had Return to Britannia? 2014? What happened to this Endless Journey we were meant to have this year instead of Return to Britannia? Why have we got to the 20th anniversary, a significant milestone for UO and nothing in place to bring back former players! :(

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RTB has never brought people back other than for a short stretch and poof they are all gone again. While I am not a fan of F2P, some version of it hopefully something like Jagex's model would be a huge benefit to gaining a larger player base and ultimately a larger subscription base. The 20th anni would have been the perfect time to have implemented it and got it out there in every gaming rag and on every gaming website. Bundling everything into one package and pricing it at $19.99 Including SA/TOL/High Seas and excluding the boosters Kings/Rustic/Gothic which should b priced at $5 each or a bundle that includes all 3 booster for like $10-$12. Monthly subs should be a flat $10 per month. The F2P should have access to the basic game up to SE (Skills), be limited to classic non custom houses, and have access to Fel and possibly Malas. The rest obtainable via a subscription.

Acct management is fine until it comes to PW recovery, credit card changes, and uniformity. IE on one of my master accts it has 10 accts on the drop down. On another master acct it has 3 on the drop down and the page does not show the other 6-7 until i click the second accts on the drop down and then they are all listed in the lower part of the page individually just like if you click in the drop down to pull up the acct info. Then there are the accts that got attached to some of my master accounts that I know I never created and accounts I created that are no where to be found.. presumably attached to someone elses master accounts........... Or just floating around in some void.

The sad thing is UO could be a well populated game with a generally acceptable level of player contentment with some very basic changes and some not so basic changes. One of the biggest is getting rid of the feeling that you are playing a 20 year old beta.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Tyrath you make some good points, Account recovery problems have probably lost us a lot of players, I almost gave up myself last year. I just think that they wasted an opportunity here, why no advertising for Anniversary month? Why no articles in gaming magazines? Seems a shame for UO to reach 20 years and still not make any attempt to attract players, then again they would have needed to work on the New Player experience....

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
When was the last time we had Return to Britannia? 2014? What happened to this Endless Journey we were meant to have this year instead of Return to Britannia? Why have we got to the 20th anniversary, a significant milestone for UO and nothing in place to bring back former players! :(
All shall be revealed at the UO 20th Anniversary party.........*cue mysterious music*
I would be willing to bet that after the 20th party we will realize there will never again be a need to have a Return To Brit campaign....

hope I am wrong lol but kinda doubt it..

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And the party may be the last hurrah...enter zombie mode

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well nothing will disgust and alienate new or returning players like not being able to loot public corpses or locking up and freezing when at EM Events... which is a sponsored Event .....

My guess is that it will serve only to make folk never try UO again if these 2 major issues are not addressed.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if they dont do it,, they are totql out of synch with the UO players,,, past and present.....i cant even imagine they wouldnt...wtf..

serouilsy ots a NO BRAINER YES>>> for the 20th anni

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Return to Britannia should have been a yearly thing, hardcoded into the servers. Not exactly rocket science to repeat a popular promotion which costs EA/BS nothing. Buuuuut....this is EA/BS and myopia is apparently contagious.

They can't even be bothered to properly advertise their accomplishments ON THEIR OWN PANCAKING WEBSITE!

*looks for a prominent display touting industry first of 20 years online* Hmmm. Still missing.

*finds '20th Anniversary Event Arc' under the Game Guide menu. rolls eyes* Only thing mentioning 20th anniversary that is found without searching. Wouldn't want to make themselves look good, apparently. Derp.

I'm sorrynotsorry, but this is ball droppage of governmental proportions and displays a mindboggling lack of attention/care and leadership. They could spend tens of minutes on things which would generate goodwill, but don't.

p.s. Based on leaks, the Endless Journey will ENRAGE the current playerbase. If you thought multiboxing was bad now, just wait. Buy stock in KVM switch manufacturers...

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If they allow that one obsessive idoc person, and the 15 people just like him..., to have 10 free bots on every shard... all 7 of our accounts will be out. That would be truly sad... as I am about to buy 3-4 more accounts in about 4-5 months. That could never help and just make more people quit. That's the problem now is that everybody quit.... it's not that new people are not coming or returning.... it is that they "quit."

Blame that on cheaters, scripters, 50 (youngs) picking up every event item at Idocs in front of everyone, before Mesanna changed that.... multi boxing at EM events, script farming for ingots, bods, nets, and now legendaries.... and 100 other things. F2P will just be for those friends of the program that are scripting endlessly to make r/l money, sadly. If it comes... watch what happens. Go ahead an quote me... UO will be over. I'm sure none of us want that, even the sellers....

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If they don't fix the issue with the EC I won't care as I'll be quitting by years end. I'm not going to take this another year.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
p.s. Based on leaks, the Endless Journey will ENRAGE the current playerbase. If you thought multiboxing was bad now, just wait. Buy stock in KVM switch manufacturers...
so, missed something again - please, what was "Endless Journey" meant to be, promotion of some sort?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hopefully the leaks are wrong.. only 5-6 more days before we find out.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well nothing will disgust and alienate new or returning players like not being able to loot public corpses or locking up and freezing when at EM Events... which is a sponsored Event .....

My guess is that it will serve only to make folk never try UO again if these 2 major issues are not addressed.
This is true. I tried looting a public titan corpse in default EC tonight, to get some armor for a new character on another shard - what a great opportunity - and just sat there watching it load until the corpse disappeared

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If they don't fix the issue with the EC I won't care as I'll be quitting by years end. I'm not going to take this another year.
Problem with this statement is the lack of credibility. You threaten to quit every month about this or that.

Frankly, it's getting pretty old. This is nothing but "the boy who cried wolf" over and over again.

This is true. I tried looting a public titan corpse in default EC tonight, to get some armor for a new character on another shard - what a great opportunity - and just sat there watching it load until the corpse disappeared

You're not missing much. It's no better than typical Peerless loot.

Think of the restrictions on 14-day free trials. Now remove them. Chaos shall ensue.
Except you know... that's not the case.... AT ALL.

:eyes:

Ummm.... Those nuts saying world gonna end on the 23rd.. maybe it's all about the UO World... Biblical prophecy claims the world will end on Sept. 23, Christian numerologists claim

:sad3:
I feel like you can find someone here or there telling you almost any date will bring about some "end of the world" scenario or what not. Interesting link though...

I suspect we're going to find out more about the endless trial accounts at the event. This probably going to be one of the more significant announcements... atleast that's my guess. That will be the new way of marketing the game to former players.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Really Merlin? Insults from a Mod... thanks. If you take a position of power and authority you ought to leave your personal vendetta's at the door.

At any rate you all should remember that Return to Britannia was responsible for NUMEROUS houses that were vacant .... and never fell... and other issues...

Sometimes new things are better. But I for one don't think f2p is a good idea.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After Mesanna joked about it during that past meet and greet with her "lol" reply it really pissed me off. I've not played for about a month now and very sadly have to say I don't miss not playing UO at all. I have found another game to keep me busy.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Reminder to those of you discussing leaks:

Sharing NDA information, if that is what is being discussed here, on Stratics is a bannable offense. Don't do it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
After Mesanna joked about it during that past meet and greet with her "lol" reply it really pissed me off. I've not played for about a month now and very sadly have to say I don't miss not playing UO at all. I have found another game to keep me busy.

For the past 2 or 3 years I log in for our RP if folk ask... I log in for the EM Event every Tuesday ...... and that's been pretty much it till the pet revamp... I gave it a good test and try but wasn't terribly impressed... I've tried getting and staying excited but since all it does is tick me off when I run into issues like looting, cheaters, Multiboxers, and locking up at the Event from the crap I posted about in another thread... I get seriously irritated and I want to quit... the only thing that keeps me playing is good friends.

At this point I enjoy playing No Man's Sky more... as well as Gumballs & Dungeons on my phone is fun... and I bought into Morrowind Online haven't tried it out yet... but betting it'll be less frustrating that UO.

I've tried to enjoy the 20th events and some of it is awesome but the grinding seriously deters from the fun factor... the dozens of fished up chests trying to get a staff was annoying... the minuscule drop rate on the things from the humans in the first part was very disgusting...

I enjoyed the terrified citizens was a hoot... watching about 4 or 5 of them running into and out of Castle British was a hoot... but the weapons are very disappointing... and not being able to get usable ones even more disappointing.

Seems to me between the monotony of the game, the disappointments and issues in the EC I just get horribly upset..and I don't play to get upset I play to relax... can't relax when all I do is get frustrated. And I keep asking myself why I keep paying... and I would like to just walk away but I don't know that I can... I keep thinking about all the work it would be to close up the accounts... cleaning out houses... do I or don't I sell the stuff and just save gold? or Do I pack it away on my characters? How much can I store??? Fill bank Boxes... a Beetle... backpacks... what to keep what to throw... etc... and then I just get depressed and decide to think about it later... and I keep paying... but then I consider what if I became one of those roulette players and put my accounts into limbo 1 on 3 off... etc... but then I think well if I lost the roulette could I handle losing a house? Would that be the final straw???? probably..

I remember the things I really enjoyed about UO... the RP over the years I seriously enjoyed... the friends I've made... the group hunts and adventures... I miss those things. I miss some old friends long gone... some who've passed on... I look around see the greed and the grind and the cheaters multiboxing and it just irks me ... I miss what UO was.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
For the past 2 or 3 years I log in for our RP if folk ask... I log in for the EM Event every Tuesday ...... and that's been pretty much it till the pet revamp... I gave it a good test and try but wasn't terribly impressed... I've tried getting and staying excited but since all it does is tick me off when I run into issues like looting, cheaters, Multiboxers, and locking up at the Event from the crap I posted about in another thread... I get seriously irritated and I want to quit... the only thing that keeps me playing is good friends.

At this point I enjoy playing No Man's Sky more... as well as Gumballs & Dungeons on my phone is fun... and I bought into Morrowind Online haven't tried it out yet... but betting it'll be less frustrating that UO.

I've tried to enjoy the 20th events and some of it is awesome but the grinding seriously deters from the fun factor... the dozens of fished up chests trying to get a staff was annoying... the minuscule drop rate on the things from the humans in the first part was very disgusting...

I enjoyed the terrified citizens was a hoot... watching about 4 or 5 of them running into and out of Castle British was a hoot... but the weapons are very disappointing... and not being able to get usable ones even more disappointing.

Seems to me between the monotony of the game, the disappointments and issues in the EC I just get horribly upset..and I don't play to get upset I play to relax... can't relax when all I do is get frustrated. And I keep asking myself why I keep paying... and I would like to just walk away but I don't know that I can... I keep thinking about all the work it would be to close up the accounts... cleaning out houses... do I or don't I sell the stuff and just save gold? or Do I pack it away on my characters? How much can I store??? Fill bank Boxes... a Beetle... backpacks... what to keep what to throw... etc... and then I just get depressed and decide to think about it later... and I keep paying... but then I consider what if I became one of those roulette players and put my accounts into limbo 1 on 3 off... etc... but then I think well if I lost the roulette could I handle losing a house? Would that be the final straw???? probably..

I remember the things I really enjoyed about UO... the RP over the years I seriously enjoyed... the friends I've made... the group hunts and adventures... I miss those things. I miss some old friends long gone... some who've passed on... I look around see the greed and the grind and the cheaters multiboxing and it just irks me ... I miss what UO was.

Fair warning to you:
You're way off topic. This is not another thread for you to turn it into your personal laundry lists of why you hate UO.

If you want to discuss those other issues, please create your own thread for them.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Okay so some people seem to think they will unveil this Endless Journey at the Anniversary party. Shouldn't it have already been in place for Anniversary month? Timing always seems to be just a little bit off with our team...:confused:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Was there a focus group or something for Endless Journey ?

Trying to figure out where an NDA would have come from for it..
Leaks implies confidentiality. Please note my "if that is what is being discussed here".

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mesanna telling her special ones the news couple of weeks in advance. Oh snap I'm very much surprised :D We second class players can be happy if she tells us about it at all instead of having to beg other players to tell us! ;)

OTOH I share the sentiment of other players here to not play at all. I even have my account inactive some months and participate in the 90 day game. I spent most of the gaming-budget on other games these days, where I'm not totally treated like a second class citizen. I only doubt BS will ever get what damage they are doing with this kind of favoritism.

Last edited:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
To be honest I really thought it was just something else that was 'promised' but never saw the light of day, now it seems there is some secret group out there testing 'something' I am intrigued! But whatever it is I really hope they properly think it through, if there are no real restrictions on these 'free' accounts I think all hell might actually break loose...:eek:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
She wasn't really giving any details away in that interview, although she did say 'free' but with restrictions...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah that was about as informative as a meet & greet....
Guess we wait till the weekend.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes of course, but let's hope they are enough!
I would bet it's just making trial accounts have no end period if its a f2p thing they wanna do. It's the simplest thing, and I think it would work pretty well. Since you can play a lot and do a lot but not really have a negative impact on a trial acc.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
What, you don't like that? I was thinking of doing one for Stratics. :devil:
I'll donate $5 if you make stratics theme song "Final Countdown" for a month.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Please dear God no.

You really want to see Bonnie in a bikini!?