• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What seems to be the LUCK Sweet spot?

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back before I left the game I found that a max luck suit never really worked as intended and that I got better loot at certain numbers of luck. I just begged, borrow and worked hard (no stealing for me) and created a 1/2 way decent luck suit with 1800 luck. I noticed on invasion mobs that I am getting way worse loot than I was with 0 luck. I would even get a Legendary item with 0 luck. Now I am lucky to get jewelry with more than 4 mods.

So, what is that sweet number? Feel free to PM me if you don't want everyone getting stuff. ;)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back before I left the game I found that a max luck suit never really worked as intended and that I got better loot at certain numbers of luck. I just begged, borrow and worked hard (no stealing for me) and created a 1/2 way decent luck suit with 1800 luck. I noticed on invasion mobs that I am getting way worse loot than I was with 0 luck. I would even get a Legendary item with 0 luck. Now I am lucky to get jewelry with more than 4 mods.

So, what is that sweet number? Feel free to PM me if you don't want everyone getting stuff. ;)
I think the impact of luck just isn't what people expect. It's possible that a positive luck roll is just giving you another ****ty item on the corpse, or a decent property on a ****ty item, or a ****ty property on an otherwise good item. The real problem is that high end monsters drop soooooo many items it's impossible to tell the impact.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree with Uvtha. Luck may increase the chance of getting an item with more intense attributes but that's no guarantee the attributes will be in any way useful. Whether the attributes or useful or not is random. I am skeptical that anybody can answer your question, partly because the loot tables depend on what you're killing, so even if luck does something, it might help on one mob or boss and hurt on another, so who can really say?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Luck does more than most realize, from increasing the number of crap items on a corpse, to increasing the crap mods on the items, and such... doesn't always mean you get good stuff... or better stuff... IMO most the mods on things are irrelevant and don't even compliment one another in a way that would be remotely useful... How many times I've checked off needed things only to find it's lacking that ONE most important property...

Mage weapons lack Spell Channeling.... what mage would use a weapon if they can't cast spells and keep it in their hand????

Bows... lack SSI... no archer uses a repeater it's like using a pea shooter to kill a grizzly bear... Most archers either chose a Composite, Short Bow or Crossbow... only in PvP would I use a Heavy... and then it's just to knock someone off their mount... after that I honestly am not going to use it so it wouldn't need SSI .... but a Composite or Regular Bow or even a cross bow it's a MUST. Same with Mana Leech.

As a dexer for armor I'm looking for LMC, MR and anything to improve my stamina/Dex... I don't want LRC... or anything like that and you ever notice how when you find an item with Reflect Physical on it 9 times out of 10 it's got REALLY high Physical resist??? If you want to build a good Reflect suit then physical has got to be the LOWEST of your resists... that way anything or anyone with consecrate will be getting the full effect of your effort... and as a mage I want the thing to be light.... I'm not going to make my mage a tank therefore it baffles me why so much mage stuff is 95 str requirement or more... who's going to wear that??? One curse and it's in your bag not helping you at all...

Most times what I want on my weapon are DI, ML, Hit something, sometimes area effect stuffs, SSI and Hit lower whatever... I do NOT want MR, SR, or other crap that ought to be for mages... seems most items are 1/2 good for a mage or 1/2 good for a dexer but not good for either and not good or useful for someone that's both... Much of the mage appropriate jewels lack FC/FCR... which IMO is a MUST have for a mage... Sure a chivy dexer might want 4/6 casting but not everyone needs 4/6 casting ... I just want to have the stuff pick one or the other not try to be both .... Because when it tries to satisfy both classes it fails at both...

The drops for the event show how clearly the DEVs completely fail at understanding what is a good weapon... Drives me nuts that the composite bows and Yumi's do NOT seem to drop... Just bows, crossbows and heavy's .... nothing else. Meanwhile I've seen my share of Katana's and Krysses... and even some cleavers, daggers and other decent weapon styles but the Archer is denied their most popular weapon of choice... guess that tells us how they feel about archers eh?

Just getting more and more frustrated...

Things I have enjoyed though would be the Frightened and Terrified NPC's what a HOOT... I saw about 6 of them running in and out of Castle British... screaming and carrying on... a few would run up to me screaming and such was hilarious... And it's always nice to see good lore and old friends like Shimino, Dupre, Sherry and such... Makes me miss Dawn even more.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anytime an instanced corpse is created, more items are created but total intensity is lowered. So if something is barely dropping legendaries, with one corpse, those odds are reduced to almost nothing if multiple targets are attacking and not partied.

In my opinion though, you always want as high of luck as you can get. More Items = More Chances for more loot at that monsters loot grade, and higher chance for more mods on jewels. 2000 Luck will usually push the # of mods on antique jewels +1 on average.

With the exception of event bosses and shadowguard, I think the chances of getting a decent % of legendaries from anything with a split party is almost nothing. Really kind of sad, I'd rather have less items of high intensity than More Items with lower intensity.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anytime an instanced corpse is created, more items are created but total intensity is lowered. So if something is barely dropping legendaries, with one corpse, those odds are reduced to almost nothing if multiple targets are attacking and not partied.
Are you sure about that? Do you have a source?

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are you sure about that? Do you have a source?
I am the source. Go kill 20 Peerless and loot their corpses as a party, then go kill 20 Peerless by breaking party and loot their corpses. Compare total # of items and Average Intensities on brittle armor and antique jewels. Repeat with more people to create further instanced corpses. Do it with 10 players to see just how ridiculous it is.

That's one of the problems with UO. 2 Players go into a fight and Break party so they can each get their own loot and expect it to just evenly split the loot.

More Players in the party = More Items( Than if a single player brought it down)
Higher Luck = More Items, % Higher Intensity, % More Mods
Split parties = More Items, Lower # of mods, Lower Intensities

This is why I suggested killing that mechanic on split parties to solve the EC Loot issue, it also makes the games loot system make more sense with split parties.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no sweet spot, the more luck you have, the better.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1337 is sweet spot. :D
I remeber a billing company many moons ago that used a generic password in their admin script that was done in "leet" text. They also put that password IN the script itself in plain text. I do not believe they are in business any longer. (Ibill i think was the companies name.)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My experience with luck has been that looking at it per corpse you are not going to see much difference. But go kill something low end like Ettins. Kill 100 with max luck and another 100 with zero luck and make a list of every piece of loot from each. One of the things you will see is a lot less items that weigh 50 stones or that have the 125 str requirement. A second thing you will see are considerably more Majors with higher intensities.......... Might total crap properties with higher intensities. Ettins don't drop a pack full of loot and I believe that comes into play, as KG mentions the items in the corpse the greater the odds those items will be better, the more items it seems the more spread out the luck gets. Tsuki wolves are a good place to test that, the ones that drop a pack full, the ones that only drop 5 or so usually have more and higher intensity properties. Of course other factors apply like specific loot tables, the critters fame for example. No idea what % increase luck gives but I do know it is something that can be measured over the long haul.

One area luck is blatantly obvious is mining saltpeter no luck and you will only pull small deposits with the occasional mid size one. Max luck and you will rarely pull anything less than gigantic ones. Low to no luck = 750-1000 per hour Max luck = 3000+ per hour. Just be sure to imbue 100 luck onto those +5 mining gloves and then Gold enhance them to 140 luck :) The +5 makes a difference as well.

On T chest running luck I get about 4X more legendaries than I do running low or no luck on the 6s and 7s and better general loot on the 4s and 5s. Again though do 100 T maps with max luck and 100 without, if you don't notice a difference then it might just be the RNG really hates you :)

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One area luck is blatantly obvious is mining saltpeter no luck and you will only pull small deposits with the occasional mid size one. Max luck and you will rarely pull anything less than gigantic ones. Low to no luck = 750-1000 per hour Max luck = 3000+ per hour. Just be sure to imbue 100 luck onto those +5 mining gloves and then Gold enhance them to 140 luck :) The +5 makes a difference as well.
Huh, that's surprising. Do you know if mining ore has the same effect?