• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Poll - Which Client do you use more?

Which Client do you spend more time in?

• Classic Client

Votes: 117 69.6%
  • Enhanced Client

Votes: 51 30.4%

• Total voters

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Spot on. Age of the art doesn't = quality of the art.
Now the EC... it's horrid no matter how you look at it. It comes across as exactly what it is, a hack job of two sets of art assets. It looks amateurish, and terrible, and I don't know how any new player wouldn't be instantly turned off. :(
With one exception... the unicorns in EC look so much better than the hack job CC unicorns.. should have left them white horses~

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With one exception... the unicorns in EC look so much better than the hack job CC unicorns.. should have left them white horses~

Going to completely disagree.

Unicorns in EC look like Goats - one of the main reasons I won't use EC.
If they can't even get the Unicorn graphics right, they can't get anything right.

Unicorns in CC look like Unicorns, I have about 10 of them, I use on all characters.
White Horse option good also.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Unicorns in many depictions from throughout history depict them more as goats than horses... More often than not bearded with tails more like a giraffe or lion than a horse long and flexible with a tuft at the end...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I actually thought before I used the EC that it would look like KR, after I started trying it out I realised that it only looks ugly if you zoom in too far, if you zoom further out everything is much sharper. I tend to play quite zoomed out anyway, I hate not being able to see stuff around me. Yes the UI is different and some mobs appear different but I played a lot of games after UO so I'm used to a different UI and hotbars. I wouldn't criticise anyone for their choice of client, it's a personal thing, For me it came to a choice between CC with too much clicking or EC with a lot less clicking, I would rather play the EC than not play at all.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unicorns in many depictions from throughout history depict them more as goats than horses... More often than not bearded with tails more like a giraffe or lion than a horse long and flexible with a tuft at the end...
I'm pretty certain in any depiction of the Unicorn it doesn't have squared edged like the CC version has.....must have been the same "designer" that went on to destroy another beast of legend, the Phoenix..... ;)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
They used to look like pure white horses, then suddenly they went all weird and 'boney'....I don't mind the beards as I have seen pictures of them like that before, but the 'boney' look is not pretty!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly I dislike 100% of the "Third Dawn" graphic replacements, as they are all complete polygonal nightmares (no pun intended). White horses, while a bit garish would have been better no question. I also dislike a lot of the art post Second Age (almost most all of the exceptions being from Mondain's Legacy) and I like even less of the added art post SA. 90% of the holiday gift art, and most of ToL looks like it was made for another game.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Honestly I dislike 100% of the "Third Dawn" graphic replacements, as they are all complete polygonal nightmares (no pun intended). White horses, while a bit garish would have been better no question. I also dislike a lot of the art post Second Age (almost most all of the exceptions being from Mondain's Legacy) and I like even less of the added art post SA. 90% of the holiday gift art, and most of ToL looks like it was made for another game.
Actually I quite agree with the third dawn graphics. I remember for quite awhile them not giving us new graphics , i think the excuse was it was too hard to add them in... I guess we saw why when they did the Third Dawn replacements. "Ick" is all i can say to them.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You know, in order for UO to survive, it needs to bring in new players while keeping current players. I can tell you wholeheartedly that getting rid of the EC will be the best way to kill the game because it will get no new players if you force them to learn it on the CC, especially if they are familiar with any other "modern" game (and I say modern lightly, pretty much anything from the early 2000's or later).

The CC is just clunky. Those who are "CC or die" have grown up on the CC and learned the game on it, and I get the nostalgic feeling. But asking for them to flat out kill the EC, is asking them to kill UO.

I never played UO back in the day, I came to UO because a friend that used to play it back in the day wanted me to try it. I tried the CC and it immediately turned me off from the game. There was no tutorial, no instructions on how to set anything up. The menu system is HORRIBLE (dark grey text on a grey background, really?). I had spent a couple hours with my friend, having them instruct me on how to setup/change what should be the most basic things in the CC. Then let's hope you aren't a keybinder instead of a clicker, because once you setup your keybinds for macros, they all fire off while trying to type anything...

After sensing my frustration with the CC, my friend recommending me to try the EC (which they admitted to never trying themselves). I can tell you the transition into UO with the EC was SOOOOOOO much better for me. It has a much more modern feel than the CC -- and I'm not talking about the graphics, I'm talking about the functionality. It is so much more user friendly, especially for someone trying to get into the game for the first time.

It seems like most of you CC users that downright hate the EC all mention the graphics. Honestly, I personally couldn't care less about the graphics of 2D vs 3D. Kill the EC "3D" graphics and make everything use the CC assets for all I care. But the functionality of the EC is far superior to that of the CC.

This poll really needs a 3rd option. CC, CC with 3rd Party Add-ons, and EC. I'd wager that most of you that use the CC would tick the option for also using 3rd party add-ons like UOA, UOAM, etc. Is the CC really superior when you have to rely on extra programs running just to make it functional for you?

Honestly, it's sad that your nostalgia for the CC is blinding you to the functionality of the EC and some of you are asking to completely kill off the EC.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, said Khyro. But I get the idea that some who say they should kill EC are thinking at the same time making CC more like EC, so you have one client with the best features of both - if that's even possible and whatever that means. So it would not be just throwing new players into the jaws of the CC as it is. That said, I believe the poll is interesting to see how many use CC vs EC , but other than that, I have a hard time believing one single change will come out of the thread.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I often have wondered what type of agreement was signed such that the CC has been defaulted to "needing" UOA to run. Tugsoft has been a fairly lucky guy with this deal it seems to me.

I don't think any UO addict, myself included who can't stand playing but still supports, thinks killing either client is a good idea though the idea of a EC with CC graphics might be the solution. The few times I did try the EC it just doesn't feel like UO, even with all the better features I can't do it and I know it's the better client for function but not for "style".

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do wish they would add a "hue ID" tool for the classic client. I log into the EC about once a year to try to color match something... and I usually cannot figure out how to log out and alt-F4 the program when I'm finished (not really... but just saying, it's too complicated).

The difference for me is like comparing D2 to D3... on D3 you cannot even figure out what armor you are wearing.... it's way too complicated. Meanwhile, D2 rocks still..... But I am glad some of you guys are playing the new client, I am aware that most of the aspects of it are better (pvp and macro-ing I hear.) I just prefer UO Assist and the CC... nostalgia, realism, and easier to play all rolled into one. I do wish they would stop changing the graphics though.... the phoenix and some of the "pretty" monsters are just ridiculous to me (I know some of you love them, don't hate me!). Call me dull... but I love realism. I want to beat a dragon with a sword... not pluck a rainbow turkey for a pillow you could use with a black light.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I often have wondered what type of agreement was signed such that the CC has been defaulted to "needing" UOA to run. Tugsoft has been a fairly lucky guy with this deal it seems to me.

I don't think any UO addict, myself included who can't stand playing but still supports, thinks killing either client is a good idea though the idea of a EC with CC graphics might be the solution. The few times I did try the EC it just doesn't feel like UO, even with all the better features I can't do it and I know it's the better client for function but not for "style".
Right?? It seems so incomprehensible now. Think of it, game published by EA which allows some singled out small time 3rd party deal, where a single indie developer gets to ask for a fee for a fully endorsed semi-official third party program at peace. For decades! It is madness. He has prolly made more money out of UO than most of the devs, heh. I mean, I'm very glad that it is there. But I also consider it's existence very strange and unlikely.

Even more strange is how it has gone for few decades without an official replacement!! UO players who also happen to be amateur coders have made all kinds of awesome and less awesome, officially endorsed and strictly forbidden programs for UO and it's classic client since forever. Yet, the devs themselves have NEVER given us an UO Assist-equivalent or an UOAM replacement. It is madness. Two decades and none of them have ever figured it might be worth it to mimic amateur coders in their fanbase by giving the players an actual map????AAarghhh.

Last edited:

Malforce

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
It seems like most of you CC users that downright hate the EC all mention the graphics. Honestly, I personally couldn't care less about the graphics of 2D vs 3D. Kill the EC "3D" graphics and make everything use the CC assets for all I care. But the functionality of the EC is far superior to that of the CC.
I wish there were an option in EC to use CC graphics/paper doll etc I'm a returning player coming back having quit around the time of ML and I like the usability of EC enough that I use it 100% of the time despite the fact that I prefer the look of the CC...
if they could go one direction or the other either by adding the functionality of the enhanced client to Classic or adding a legacy graphics option to EC at that point they could get considering dropping one of the clients in my opinion

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
My vote is for EC 100% but I would bluntly say I know for some the real intent to keep using CC is mainly for AFK macroing using illegal 3rd party softwares. Apart from that, the legal aspects of these 3rd party softwares are overshadowed by the EC features. For these features, I would not be able to go back to CC because it becomes a major handicap for me.

Graphics wise, I don't like CC's following:
1) CC's Swampy has been called the Cucumber or pickles because of the way it looks. With those tiny wings and fat body, ugly as hell. I didn't want to play warrior until I see the EC version.
2) The way the 4-legged runs in the CC is funny, it's left right left right as if it's 2 man standing front and wearing a fake horse clothing. In the EC, when 4-legged run they gallop, front 2 legs move in unison with the 2 back leg. This is the correct movement.
3) Ability to zoom in and out is a great plus when playing in different scenarios.
4) Although the EC map cannot be used to call for help (used for pvp) like UOAM, it is much better than the CC map. I can visit all places and dungeon map, check their locations and stairs and teleporters etc. It is also updated unlike UOAM which is also taking up memories from my puter.

Others:
1) In the EC, I don't have to memorise all hotkeys, 60 keys over 4 accounts on 10-15 different character classes. The keys are shown on the screen.

2) So much easier to use the grid bag in EC. Legal way to find good loots fast, unlike CC players use illegal 3rd party program to quick loot certain loots with certain specs.

3) Built in scavenger is lovely. I used it for Shadowguard room and cuts down my time to pick up phylactery and beer bottles.

4) Unlimited dress up and arming options unlike UOA.

5) Fast change of gear is critical and this is build into EC. CC can't do this.

So much more that I can write the whole day.

My friends playing PVP asked me to use CC just because it is compatible with the obsolete UOAM. I tried... really, but once you get the hang of EC features, never look back at CC... its a Super major handicap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It looks amateurish, and terrible, and I don't know how any new player wouldn't be instantly turned off. That said, I also don't know how a new player wouldn't be instantly turned off by the lack of functionality in the CC, so... [bcolor=rgb(16, 16, 16)]:([/bcolor]
I sincerely wish I could stand the look&feel of EC; underneath it's hood, there is a great deal of utility and and features CC user can only dream of. However, these are very much aimed towards a player who has his finger on the pulse of UO well enough already. For a new player, that..mess of information,action bars, macro tools and other functions looks extremely awkward and unappealing. Meanwhile, CC is far more lacking in features. On the other hand, CC is very good at letting the new player (=a returning vet who has forgotten everything) build his UI step by step. It is better at letting you learn the game. For this reason, EC should have been called "Advanced CLient" all along imo; more accurate a name. It gives excellent toolset at the disposal of those vets who can stand the awful, alienating apperance. However, for a b rand new player picking EC up is such a huge and common mistake. They'd all be much more at home in CC, at least initially.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
EC all the time. I switched a few years back when they said CC would no longer be supported. What they didn't say was that the EC wouldn't be supported either, but I'm used to the EC now.
Comparing feature to feature, EC definitely is so much better. This split between EC and CC is costing us... now they need to split time supporting 2 clients. So much bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The CC looks absurdly better to me in every way. Textures can be upgraded and interface and everything else too. The EC feels like beta stuff, the CC is dated, but that can be fixed. I have tried the EC many, many hours... with Pinco's.. and I only turn it on for some features, but generally hate the feel.. It's very clunky. The CC is actually way smoother, it just needs an interface overhaul. I do agree and understand that CC *as is*, would turn off new players.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The CC looks absurdly better to me in every way. Textures can be upgraded and interface and everything else too. The EC feels like beta stuff, the CC is dated, but that can be fixed. I have tried the EC many, many hours... with Pinco's.. and I only turn it on for some features, but generally hate the feel.. It's very clunky. The CC is actually way smoother, it just needs an interface overhaul. I do agree and understand that CC *as is*, would turn off new players.
I believe that fixing the looks of EC is infinitely easier than adding functionality to CC. At this point it's probably cheaper to write a new client than try to improve CC. Having said that, making EC look nice is also a significant effort given the number of models that need to be re-done. It appears both clients are on life support, so all these pleas to ditch EC and improve CC are silly. They can (as in "able to") ditch EC. But they can't add major features to CC.

I believe that fixing the looks of EC is infinitely easier than adding functionality to CC. At this point it's probably cheaper to write a new client than try to improve CC. Having said that, making EC look nice is also a significant effort given the number of models that need to be re-done. It appears both clients are on life support, so all these pleas to ditch EC and improve CC are silly. They can (as in "able to") ditch EC. But they can't add major features to CC.
They definitely can add major features to CC and they have been doing that.. just the bare minimum..except finally the resolution thing.. I would upgrade CC textures with EC (world textures), some mobs, and fix interface to add all the loved EC features.. ditch EC. Sorry. EC is crap in so many ways.. the whole spell casting animation is terrible too. All the 3D clients for UO have sucked IMHO.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would upgrade CC textures with EC (world textures), some mobs,
NO. That would be horrible. The MIX of graphics is what makes the meh art unbearable.

and fix interface to add all the loved EC features..
That's fine, but honestly... I can't see it happening. Team is too small.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They definitely can add major features to CC and they have been doing that..
Like what? Changing the size of the window is merely changing a parameter in the existing function (and look how much begging that took). What major features have been added to the CC in the last 10 years?

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are there any other servers who have added functions to the CC which can be hijacked? I fail to understand why these other developers can add some amazing aspects to this game yet they never seem to roll into the "official" servers.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are there any other servers who have added functions to the CC which can be hijacked? I fail to understand why these other developers can add some amazing aspects to this game yet they never seem to roll into the "official" servers.
There are indeed. There are also a few 3rd party apps that work with the current CC to add in LOADS of extra features.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are indeed. There are also a few 3rd party apps that work with the current CC to add in LOADS of extra features.
AFAIK, the third party apps work with the data stream, not with the client directly. Such apps can be made for EC as well (with BS cooperation), except 1) EC has many of those functions built it, 2)EC allows mods directly (think Pinco's).