• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Staff of Kalen's Aprentice

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does the RNG simply hate me or is something bugged?

I fished up around 50 MiBs and still no staff. I'm sick of it and want to move on to the next part. :(

I'm using Xenrr's Fishing Pole, hope that doesn't have anything to do with it.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nope rng hates you... and many MANY others. Some get it within the first 10 or so mibs some have fished nearly 100 mibs with nothing to show for it.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My friend went thru 371 sos's before she got it. Then got 6 more in the next 15 so RNG is really random...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Awww if you were on Europa I could give you a Staff, I had extremely good luck fishing them up. :(

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah gonna have to go buy one from somebody...it's what I ended up doing. I think there werent enough SoS's created for me to fish one up...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
274 SOSs = 1 Staff for me. This part of it had many of us ready to pull our hair out and wipe our backside with it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm a firm believer that the RNG is tied directly to the Atlantic shard, and that the other shards pay the bell curve adjustment penalty. If there's a 10% chance at something, it comes early on Atl and the other shards balance out the remaining percentage. Nothing else makes sense. "Teacher says, every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings"..well, every time a staff drops on Atl, a fisherman somewhere else goes hungry.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a guildie that fished up 48 on great Lakes only to find he did not get the quest from the necromancer. Soon as he did he got 1 when doing 6.
Now he says he gets a staff every 22 or so.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a guildie that fished up 48 on great Lakes only to find he did not get the quest from the necromancer. Soon as he did he got 1 when doing 6.
Now he says he gets a staff every 22 or so.
Lmao I did the same exact thing. Got through about 30 before I realized it. Got the quest and with the next 30ish i got 3.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Took me roughly 70 sos's, I had 6, had another 9 ancients, spent 200k on dredging hooks to get more....got one staff....friend of mine gave me another 50..did 35 of those with no luck......

The friend who gave me the sos's did 8 and got 2 staff's...gave me one....another friend got one and gave it to me....if it were not for friends in this game I would have gone bat crazy lol

So yes, the RNG is a fickle woman.....some she loves and some she hates :/

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was this on PAC ?
Pac and Siege I burned my 70 on Siege and got no love, the rest were on Pac. Had planned on doing on Legends, Origin and GL as well but after a entire week end devoted to fishing for the staff.......... Yeah I was done. Not as bad as getting a 120 fishing scroll but was still bad.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How far out are you all starting from the SOS spot when you start fishing? I went through a couple dozen SOS where I got no staff, fishing within a screen of the spot, and getting the chest in 1-3 casts.

The only chest where I "winged it", and started outside the radius (so far out that I was catching fish), then moved in 8 steps at a time until I was getting pre-chest loot, I got my first chest with a staff within 10 casts - casts that weren't getting from proximity to the SOS location before.

I think they screwed up the code implementation to where the staff drop is coded into the "pre-chest loot or chest" code, so that if you start where you have a low chance of getting a chest (high chance of pre-chest loot), you have a much higher chance of getting the chest with the staff.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Also if you are very unlucky and usually get 10k chests you won't get any, mine all came out of 30k chests!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I fished up around 50 MiBs and still no staff. I'm sick of it and want to move on to the next part. :(

I just bought one for a fortune. :( Had no chance otherwise, as I would have had to raise fishing, THEN go farm a billion MiB to even have a chance. No thanks.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i had to buy one on Atl... and xshard-shield it back to europa...ksara i wasnt goona be denied the Obelisk

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How far out are you all starting from the SOS spot when you start fishing? I went through a couple dozen SOS where I got no staff, fishing within a screen of the spot, and getting the chest in 1-3 casts.

The only chest where I "winged it", and started outside the radius (so far out that I was catching fish), then moved in 8 steps at a time until I was getting pre-chest loot, I got my first chest with a staff within 10 casts - casts that weren't getting from proximity to the SOS location before.

I think they screwed up the code implementation to where the staff drop is coded into the "pre-chest loot or chest" code, so that if you start where you have a low chance of getting a chest (high chance of pre-chest loot), you have a much higher chance of getting the chest with the staff.
Interesting idea. I will try this. So far I always tried to be as spot on as I could. Usually within 0-3 tiles of the actual coordinates. Will try from farther away.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

There is somebody on your shard that collected 100s of MIBs and they have been using them now and have been collecting the staffs.

You just need to find that person and help them with the other pieces.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got 1 on my 3rd Mib. I fished up another 20 and got nothing.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is somebody on your shard that collected 100s of MIBs and they have been using them now and have been collecting the staffs.

You just need to find that person and help them with the other pieces.
LOL and then there are people that collected hundreds of them and burned through them all to get 1 staff :)

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is so bad. I'm a semi-casual player nowadays and spent all my playing time for the last ten days or so fishing up around a hundred MiBs and not getting a staff. :wall:

I fear I'm going to completely miss the rest of the event, all the invasions what's going to come after that because that bloody stuff just isn't dropping for me.And being on a low population shard, there don't seem to be any staffs for sale, at least asking in the chat doesn't help.

Right now I'm rather sad and thinking of quitting this event cycle, even though I'd love to take part in the invasions, the last ones a few years back were fun. :(
I understand that high-end stuff requires a lot of grind so the hardcore players have something to do, but for an event cycle that should include most of the players and be fun, this is not how it should be.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Merion I assume you are on Drachenfels? You don't need to get the staff or complete that part of the story arc to take part in the invasions, on Europa there are quite a few people who finished it and got the Obelisk and who set it to public use, so anybody who didn't get the staff can still get the titan slayer buff. To be totally honest though, with it being a relatively short duration buff and the cool-down being so long I have only had the Titan slayer property on my spellbook for two out of the 20 or so invasions I have done. I had looting rights every time though. The important thing is to do the invasions and kill the Titan at the end, that way you have a chance of a reward. I do understand why people want to complete all parts though, it seems a bit cruel that some of us get so many staffs and some get none. If you have any way of getting a staff from Europa I will happily try and fish one up for you. :)

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait, what? The whole thing just gives me a slayer bonus buff?

I understood the official lingo so, that I'm only eligible for Part IV and V if I became warrior of the ether.

If it's really just a buff, screw them MiBs!

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
As far as I can make out the only way we can get a reward in part 5 is to get on the top damage list by killing the Titans, if anyone else has any concrete evidence that we also need to complete all the parts of the quest chain then maybe they can point us towards it!? :)