• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Poll - Which Client do you use more?

Which Client do you spend more time in?

• Classic Client

Votes: 117 69.6%
  • Enhanced Client

Votes: 51 30.4%

• Total voters

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Title says it all really! This is meant to be a very simple poll! As such I'd ask you to leave epic arguments, bashing of other client, soap boxing and such out.

- - -
EDIT:

Question polled here is one that has been asked every now and then over the years. I thought it'd be very interesting to compare the results! Thanks to additional detective work by @Archnight, we have a pretty nice collection of polls though the ages.

Thread by ZippyTwitch from 2009: 2d vs. whatever.....
Thread by Ezekiel Zane from 2011: Which client do you use?
Thread by Tanivar made in 2015: Poll on Client popularity
Here is a similar thread that @Smoot made in 2014. classic or enhanced
Here is one I made in 2013. Which Client do you use?

2009: 67,1% CC - 28,9 EC - 4% Other Total of 173 Votes given

2011: 62,3% CC - 27,8 EC - 10% Both Total of 281 Votes given

2013: 65,2% CC - 34,8 EC Total of 105 Votes given

2014: 64% CC - 35% EC Total of 85 Votes given

2015: 57,1% CC - 18,6 EC Total of 210 Votes given

2017: 68.2% CC - 31.8% EC Total of 129 Votes given so far!

- - -

Numbers are pretty consistent.
What I like most about these findings is the amount of people who have voted this time already! Based on this alone ( this alone isn't much;p) more people are using Stratics now than few years back! I bet it is the 20th event arc, hype is real!

Tbh It would be nice for some dev to weigh in on the matter. I guess they have some raw data?
Like I'd love to see this measured in amount of hours. How long has every CC/EC user spend in UO during last week combined? Things like that.

Last edited:

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^ - You pretty fast for such an old cap'tn!

Classic Client here. Percentage-wise I bet I'm somewhere around 98%-2%
For things like trying to find a missing inventory item or sorting though 100 newly made spellbooks etc, I often boot EC. For everything else, always CC.

Last edited:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I only log into EC to do spawns...because it lets me target and attack with one button without worrying about accidently targetting a friendly :D If they ever let me have that in CC I'll uninstall the EC

Whyterose

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I only use the Enhanced Client, I took a 7-year break from UO and started back a few months ago. The thought of making all new macros for UO Assist to use the CC, it made me try the EC and I don't use the CC at all. There is so much more information given in the EC, the map is so much better and useful, to me the CC looks so outdated I can't stand looking at it anymore.

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
I haven't touched CC since the early 2000's. EC 100% for me. Many, many reasons. Top three reasons: One is the look of the graphics is better (neither is great, I have to admit, but classic is rather cheesey) , two: the zoom in and out feature and three: the backpack is more organised in EC. I saw a screenshot recently of a friend who plays in CC and the backpack was a cluster and it made my eye twitch. How can you find ANYTHING in that hot mess?? o_O

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm slowly getting comfortable enough in the EC to eventually switch to it for good.

And I look forward to all of the CC users replying that they use it exclusively "because it's a better client"...it's not a better client, and we all know it lol , ok that part was my opinion, doesn't mean I'm wrong :p

Last edited:

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
95% of the time in EC, but if they do not start fixing all the bugs i'm going back to playing in CC and just use ec for house sorting.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
CC 100% because I'm a creature of habit.

Just from the videos ive seen, EC looks like a completely different game to me. If I had to do EC, I would bow out.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
CC 100% because I am human! Although, I wish they would start updating some of the features in CC, but on second thought everything they touch they break nvm.

temu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't see what is going on when I run EC. The creatures/monsters blend in with each other and the background, and all the spell effects confuse me. On classic everything is crisp and clear. Plus, I think the classic graphics are charming and has much more of an Ultima feel. If I had no choice but to play EC I would have to quit and go to free shards.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use EC for normal game play. The ability to switch suits, mobile bars, grid layout for easy looting is to good to miss.

If I'm training up a new char I will use CC as I can run all the training scripts with it.

MoxZinnia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
EC, because I was told I could do cool stuff in CC if I just paid for a third party program, and no way was I gonna shell out even more money after having to buy a bunch of expansions and monthly sub time.

Every once in the while I load up the CC to make sure my house and characters don't look totally stupid to CC users, because I'm vain that way.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
CC by itself. Recently installed EC to use the color ID feature. Tried EC a long time ago and liked it. However, it really taxed the laptop I was using and when it unexpectedly kicked the bucket, I just wasn't motivated enough to set everything up again from scratch on a new laptop that was probably not going to be able to run it very well either. Plus I really hate how all the dragons had the same color in the EC, the hiryus look awful, the way rooftops over forges look like they're ready to burst into flame any second, and the way everything looks just plain muddled with no real crispness.

Edited to add: And yes, all the reports of how people freeze up while using the EC at events with lots of people, monster special effects, and corpses with large numbers of items have worked well to motivate me to stay away from the EC.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
EC 100% - but with Pinco's UI - EC without Pinco's looks blurry - I'm just too lazy now to sort through loot and backpacks with CC and go for the grid now

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Classic Client = 95%
Enhanced Client = 5%

I mainly use the CC but still have to use the EC for stacked vendors, some housing decorations and t-hunting. It has other nice features but the art is so ugly, like I can't even look at my avatar without being sick to my stomach lol :p

Lord Ron Fellows

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
70 % CC to 30% EC, yet most of the posts are saying EC. I always suspected the EC users were the vocal minority :p

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Classic all the time. I will never try EC after seeing what Malachi does at EM events to the EC players! He tells amazing tales but that is awful use of game spells. It is. :(

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
CC only.

I've tried EC a few times, on one level it's like a whole different game, and a worse one at that.
Graphics are awful, it's like moving through treacle, yet ironically is faster for the users and makes it too easy for them.
I can't get used to it.

I'd happily have EC deleted, to get the game to be consistent amongst all users, and to focus all output in that direction.
It would also fix the EC bugs completely.

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
EC all the time. I switched a few years back when they said CC would no longer be supported. What they didn't say was that the EC wouldn't be supported either, but I'm used to the EC now.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
EC, because I was told I could do cool stuff in CC if I just paid for a third party program, and no way was I gonna shell out even more money after having to buy a bunch of expansions and monthly sub time.

Every once in the while I load up the CC to make sure my house and characters don't look totally stupid to CC users, because I'm vain that way.
I paid $15 for that 3rd party proggie more than 15 years ago. Since then I have dropped UO for 2-5 years and when I came back was easily able to restore that program - no charge. So a one-time fee has served me well.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
EC mostly. I'm not going to fake a percent though...

I'll mine on CC. I prefer mining on CC. The Last Object, Last Target macro just seems to work better for me. The target by type on EC is buggy.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm pleasantly surprised how popular this poll is... the thread was only posted eight hours ago and there are already 81 votes.... who knew so many people read Uhall on a daily basis! :grouphug:
I made this same poll in early 2013. Which Client do you use?

I'm pretty interested t see if the numbers differ. Also curious to see if either poll ends up being much more popular in terms of total votes cast.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Only use the EC to do T maps because it's stupid easy to find them. Beyond that classic client 100% of the time, I'll take stable with low functionality over the buggy pile that is the EC any day.

bsluspo

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The enhanced client should have never been created in the first place.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The enhanced client should have never been created in the first place.
They're between a rock and hard place now, and they did it to themselves. As Granddad would say, they shot themselves in the foot.

They half-assed created a new client and never finished it, but got a third of their player base (according to the poll) hooked on it. They evidently don't have the nohow to fix it all up and make it completely right, so 1/3 of the players are mad..

They can't just drop it, UO won't sustain a 30% loss and keep operating I don't think..

Either way, it's a cesspool of their own poop, I'm just not feeling any sympathy at the moment