• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I just got scammed for 149Mil

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back just a few days. I just got scammed out of 149 mil by someone changing his payment on my trade window. Sold 2 transfer tokens for 149 mil. Somehow he ended up paying me 145k I am not happy. Can I post his name here so no one else will get scammed by him? It was on Atlantic. I should have known he was a scammer because he used upper and lower case letters in his name. Man, that hurts to get scammed.

chargar42

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did the trade window say 145k or 145 mill? If it said 145k and you accepted, you have to accept some blame.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Use a broker next time or buy off a vendor

I feel for you

Shandara

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is an exploit because the system lets them change the price after you have accepted your side of the trade!
They should be shamed publicly in Stratics and on General Chat, but they have already changed their name so it would be a waste of energy.. Atlantic is populated with a lot of these kind of players!

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Back just a few days. I just got scammed out of 149 mil by someone changing his payment on my trade window. Sold 2 transfer tokens for 149 mil. Somehow he ended up paying me 145k I am not happy. Can I post his name here so no one else will get scammed by him? It was on Atlantic. I should have known he was a scammer because he used upper and lower case letters in his name. Man, that hurts to get scammed.
You can´t name him in a post but you can PM people who might want to know.
Yeah.. can't name them here sadly, but you can spam gen chat with it.. although I have a sneaking suspicion that whatever name the char has it was most likely an alt of the biggest scammer in the game...

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah.. can't name them here sadly, but you can spam gen chat with it.. although I have a sneaking suspicion that whatever name the char has it was most likely an alt of the biggest scammer in the game...
Kinda feeling left out here. Ive heard several times about this known scammer. Could someone pm me the name lol.

iPhilthy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
in order to not get scammed by this you have to wait until they check their box. the same person tried it on me 2 times and didnt succeed the first time so he didnt buy it. the second time he tried the same thing weeks later but i didnt check the box then he actually purchased it for the right amount.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
if only we had some sort of NPC we could hire to sell stuff safely for us.

i know, that burns.
im caught between feeling bad for your loss and kinda upset that people don't use Vendors to safeguard themselves against this bug that has been rampant for the last couple weeks.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards

i know, that burns.
im caught between feeling bad for your loss and kinda upset that people don't use Vendors to safeguard themselves against this bug that has been rampant for the last couple weeks.
In Tangled's defense.. she only returned a couple days ago though.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i know, and thats why i was caught between feeling bad and smartass-y

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is one of those things an emergency patch should have been put in and stop all other current work until fixed.

To some 150mil isn't much to others it's insane amount of gold

I definitely would be very upset about it and very pissed off the devs haven't fixed this exploit yet.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

i know, that burns.
Simply not the point. If a system is there for trade then that system should work without vulnerabilities. The fact that there are other ways to make a trade is irrelevant. This should have been fixed well before now.

iPhilthy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Some people don't have ICQ to contact the people with vendor houses. Some people don't have houses on ATL. So for those people that don't have a vendor nor a house use trade windows to sell their things.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Use a broker

There are some very trustworthy people on Alt

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

i know, that burns.
Personally I'm just disgusted that this sort of thing isn't fixed ASAP .... and then there are those exploiting the bug that IMO ought to be treated like any other exploiter and BANNED Permanently.... but that's my opinion.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree BAN them and all there accounts

And burn there houses for years

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
If this IS an exploit of the game mechanics trade widow, why is this NOT a double crime, one using the exploit itself, and the other PURPOSEFULLY AND MALICIOUSLY, using the exploit to steal massive gold from another player in the game? Then what is wrong about POSTING THE CROOK'S NAME not only here but everywhere on the boards to warn other people about this behavior, AND ALSO WHY NOT LET THE ADMINISTRATORS KNOW ABOUT IT and then find out what happens to him/her? In my opinion the GMs should make an example BAN punishement of him/her. I doubt that it will be very hard to trace his name in the database, even if he deleted the scamming character. All data leaves a trace behind that can be traced with proper database search.
IMO you should POST his/her name here, I cannot see why it is illegal?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Also the IP address is easily available from where he was signed on. I think that there is no excuse not to find hi/her and expose to public, and also allow us to know the reprimand (that normally should be a ban of all his chars/accounts etc from every shard he may have them0

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
As a reminder to all, under the Trolling tab of the Stratics Rules of Conduct, which can be found here: Rules of Conduct | Stratics Community Forums

"You may not make public accusations of misconduct against or about any other user of Stratics, staff members, EMs, other players, developers, or guilds. "

Folks - please do not name anyone you believe to be involved with this bug/scam. It will be deleted and warnings will be issued. Stratics is not the place for this.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On a separate note... USE A VENDOR if you are going to be dealing with someone who you've never dealt with before. Especially if it is going to be for big ticket items. If it is for something that isn't vendorable, contact a broker or find a safer way to facilitate the trade.

This bug needs to be the TOP PRIORITY for developers to please address. This needs a "hot-fix". @Bleak @Kyronix

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is an exploit because the system lets them change the price after you have accepted your side of the trade!
They should be shamed publicly in Stratics and on General Chat, but they have already changed their name so it would be a waste of energy.. Atlantic is populated with a lot of these kind of players!
Is it a recent exploit or has it been possible for a while ?
Why was this not fixed already considering how important it is ?

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like you need to make sure the other player's ACCEPT is clicked before you click yours.
Agreed that it should lock in an amount the instant a seller hits ACCEPT.
Needs to be hotfixed ASAP.

"Some people don't have houses"..

..there are plenty of Trammel spots for a small house and vendor. Price competitively and vendor search will work for ya.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Some people don't have houses"..

..there are plenty of Trammel spots for a small house and vendor.
I think they're referring to shard hoppers that don't want to lose a home shard house by placing a new one where they travel.

Vendors are the way to go. Finding someone to hook you up with a vendor is crazy easy on Atl.
When someone can't do that, my scam alert starts going off. :D

Should be fixed ASAP.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This seems a little odd to me, why would the other person give you 145k instead of 0 or 1 gp?

With this current dev team, it's difficuly to discern what is a bug/exploit and what is a feature, what sounds like a bug to us, Kyronix will probably deny and call it a feature going by the answers at the dev Meet and Greets.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This seems a little odd to me, why would the other person give you 145k instead of 0 or 1 gp?
I think they're just deleting digits before transaction is completed not intentionally choosing the actual cost.
We can't speculate on how its done here but it shouldn't matter much b/c its already being worked on for a hotfix..... right guys?:rolleyes2:

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, it is a known exploit. Not sure how many know how to do it. All of the ones I have heard about are different characters on the same account. PM me if you need more details.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
If I am selling anything I always wait for the other person to click ok in the trade before I do, I never click ok before them unless I know the person and can trust them.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone know if the scammers using this exploit are able to put something in your amount field if you are only trying to hand them an item?

While this exploit remains unfixed, is there any way to safely give gold to another player that is begging for gold in Luna because they are "new to the shard" or some similar reason, other than just dropping piles of gold on the ground at a bank after telling them to be prepared to quickly pick them up?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
While this exploit remains unfixed, is there any way to safely give gold to another player that is begging for gold in Luna because they are "new to the shard" or some similar reason, other than just dropping piles of gold on the ground at a bank after telling them to be prepared to quickly pick them up?
Open a trade window with them.. enter gold amount you want to give.. have them accept it. If you can't open a trade window with them they most likely have "refuse trade" enabled.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This bug has been seen by the Dev..
It has only been seen done in the EC... the CC has a different window acceptance. (older code)
Not sure if your in CC and them in EC if they can or not.. but one can assume yes.
For something this big a purchase Ask for a temp vendor placement in chat... I am sure one will grant you a small use.
But yes the dev got a full report of it not long ago when it poped up.
You don't steal that big a amount and the seller not yell to the top of their lungs at the dev...

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
Not to make you feel worse than you already do, (which I FEEL your pain),..this is why I use vendors at my house to sell high valued items. Yup, I end up paying a fee to said vendor but honestly that item doesn't sit on my vendor long before its bought (less than 24 hours in most cases, so the fee isn't too bad). Its safer since the high powers won't fix a known exploit. I am really feeling your pain and that guy probably changed his name already.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is one of those things an emergency patch should have been put in and stop all other current work until fixed....
The fact this has not been fixed already makes me wonder if the dev team is capable of fixing it.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would love to get out the pitchforks and all, but then I remember that thieves are allowed (and supported by Stratics) in this 20 year old bug ridden game.

@the OP, I understand your frustration, but you knew better. If you are hard up on gold, I will toss you an item you can sell for double that amount to make up for you losses. However, next time save yourself the hassle and just use a vendor. PM me if you want to take me up on this...

@the rest of this forum, if you know an issue exists, send in a damn bug report you lazy turds. Nothing gets fixed if you just try to stare the problem away.

If you aren't part of the solution you know is needed, you are part of the problem.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I already gave her 150mil and I find it very nice that others are offing to help out as well

Like I said there are more good people here than not

And to the in game troll that said that I didn't, just ask her and after you do u hope you stop calling me a fake just wanting to look good. I was going to buy an items on alt with not no more.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I already gave her 150mil and I find it very nice that others are offing to help out as well

Like I said there are more good people here than not

And to the in game troll that said that I didn't, just ask her and after you do u hope you stop calling me a fake just wanting to look good. I was going to buy an items on alt with not no more.
It is very true. Skett is kind and generous. Gave me 150mil. Like one said, it is a small amount to some and a huge prize to others. I have pm'd those who made offers and let them know. I am not trying to fleece the generous. That would make me just as bad as the scammer.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is very true. Skett is kind and generous. Gave me 150mil. Like one said, it is a small amount to some and a huge prize to others. I have pm'd those who made offers and let them know. I am not trying to fleece the generous. That would make me just as bad as the scammer.
I hope I didn't come across as you might be fleecing others I was just trying to defend my self against the backlash I got.
I don't feel that you are trying take advantage of anyone in any way, I don't believe that was or is your intention.
I apologize if that's how I came across to you or anyone.