• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question about UO.com art

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I am catching up on 20th anni stuff, and I saw this one Pub 98 page:

What is going on here? Looks like a poor demon monster child's parent is getting murdered. Is this art from a specific event, or lore?

Publish 98 – Ultima Online

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can say they are gargoyles, as in Ultima 6 ...
Gotcha, I must have missed that...I have all the single player games but have never played them, sigh...lol...I guess gargoyles are considered demons in slayer type, at least XD

Ok, hmm...just struck me as rather gruesome

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Gotcha, I must have missed that...I have all the single player games but have never played them, sigh...lol

Ok, hmm...just struck me as rather gruesome
FYI, I just updated my previous post with a screenshot and link
EDIT: The expression on that baby gargoyle's face is pretty priceless, lol

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One more observation about that art. I'll hide it as a spoiler for those who never played U6 and might someday
U6 starts out with the avatar being tied down by gargoyles on a sacrificial altar. As the knife is raised, Shamino and Dupre show up and rescue him. At that point, you think gargoyles are evil and kill every one you see. Later in the game, you learn they are merely defending themselves because a religious relic of theirs was stolen, and you suddenly feel bad for killing so many of them. The game ends with the two races merging - even the human theme music and the gargoyle theme music blend into a new song with both elements. The whole Ultima series is great with those moral dilemmas.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@G.v.P I almost snorted my tea all over the screen, that was hilarious! I think I am now siding with the 'poor demon monster child'! :(

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its part of part 3. The baby's name is Focus. You take baby Focus to the alter and kill it's Parent, Perihelion.

That's my lore and I'm sticking to it.

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is this art from a specific event, or lore?
This art was originally a fragment of the Tapestry of Ages in Ultima IX depicting the events of previous single-player Ultima games (Ultima VI in this case).

The uo.com site uses many other pictures from the Tapestry showing events from single-player games that never happened in UO lore, for example Blackthorn corrupted by the Shadowlords in Ultima V.