• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Grind and Developer Responsibility

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't participated in the quest. I did one trade run and was like... yeah, nope. I have all the skills and I could make the time, but I wouldn't enjoy the grind required. Honestly, stuff like this for such an important milestone really left a bad taste in my mouth. I actually am considering working towards shutting down my final account. I chose to not make a decision immediately, but play something else with a friend and mull it over. All I do in UO is stock vendors these days and I am not sure I really have a reason to keep doing that. I no longer rp as I just didn't find the depth and community that could sustain my interest. Nor do I really collect items anymore outside of a few very particular things. In my opinion, this game will never grow with new players and retain them without some changes to the grindy nature. Grind is fine for eye-candy, but not for content, especially temporary content. As a new player, this event would have honestly caused me to probably find another mmo.

• Allow a few different tasks to complete different stages. Not everyone has x skill.
  • This should never should have never been based on RNG. Everytime there is an ambush, or a mib fished or whatever is the trigger for a drop... it should have increased the base drop rate.
  • When an event has multiple items required to complete a step, consider the token or turn-in based system and allow people to choose ones they are missing rather than get 10 of one without ever seeing the one they really want.

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
*sighs* ...........I just think I have more important things to complain about and honestly I just don't wanna complain about it.....at least its something and I am still here

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't participated in the quest. I did one trade run and was like... yeah, nope. I have all the skills and I could make the time, but I wouldn't enjoy the grind required. Honestly, stuff like this for such an important milestone really left a bad taste in my mouth. I actually am considering working towards shutting down my final account. I chose to not make a decision immediately, but play something else with a friend and mull it over. All I do in UO is stock vendors these days and I am not sure I really have a reason to keep doing that. I no longer rp as I just didn't find the depth and community that could sustain my interest. Nor do I really collect items anymore outside of a few very particular things. In my opinion, this game will never grow with new players and retain them without some changes to the grindy nature. Grind is fine for eye-candy, but not for content, especially temporary content. As a new player, this event would have honestly caused me to probably find another mmo.

• Allow a few different tasks to complete different stages. Not everyone has x skill.
  • This should never should have never been based on RNG. Everytime there is an ambush, or a mib fished or whatever is the trigger for a drop... it should have increased the base drop rate.
  • When an event has multiple items required to complete a step, consider the token or turn-in based system and allow people to choose ones they are missing rather than get 10 of one without ever seeing the one they really want.
I'm sorry that the RP community couldn't hold your interest, We try to be inclusive as possible. Though there are certain things we don't include such as power emoting and we frown on breaking character in the middle of RP ( we perfer to stay IC completely unless it's in party, chat, or guild), other than that we would love to see more people come try we even had a half dragon pirate I mean if that's not inclusive I don't know what is! Unfortuantely sometimes time schedules don't match up and not every one can get to an event or someone is hosting one at an inopportune time to not leave a story hanging for to long. I myself work terrible hours so i really can only do stuff on weekends, but some of the event runners have been kind enough to try to always make something happen on saturday even if it's just meeting up for a recap. You really have to try hard to feel excluded from the rp community if you are interested in being part of it because we are always excited to get new people and unless you are just there to grief you will be able to find people to interact with when you meet us.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
That is more like what I have been getting...

Someone on Atlantic was saying they did 70 of them.. got 11 staffs and was only fishing with JOAT... talk about a LUCKY rascal lol.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That is more like what I have been getting...

Someone on Atlantic was saying they did 70 of them.. got 11 staffs and was only fishing with JOAT... talk about a LUCKY rascal lol.
That's great for them but what of the rest of the crowd doing 50 to 70 and getting NOTHING?????? Do the DEV's really think that's FUN?????

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
120 skill 60/70 SOSs and eight staff later, my only complaint regarding them is the drop rate is way to low and I want a ships key I can find in my Pack right away. Running the small dragon ship aground, dry docking it, recalling to another location to put the ship back in the water only it takes forever to see that LITTLE key in my pack. I run 10sos per trip, loading locations into UOAM. When I finish those ten I delete locations in UOAM and repeat with another 10.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
never mind ive given up..enjoyed part 1 and 2 although the drop rate is stupid low.. and really enjoyed the miners and the undertaker steps of the 3rd quest..... but the sea bit starting form vesper...its impossible without a fisher and an endless supply of mibs...will make part 4 pointless to most who cant complete part 3......but ksara ....the devs could have made the fishing part zero skill but they chose to beleive everyone in the game as a fisher..which they certainly dont...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
never mind ive given up..enjoyed part 1 and 2 although the drop rate is stupid low.. and really enjoyed the miners and the undertaker steps of the 3rd quest..... but the sea bit starting form vesper...its impossible without a fisher and an endless supply of mibs...will make part 4 pointless to most who cant complete part 3......but ksara ....the devs could have made the fishing part zero skill but they chose to beleive everyone in the game as a fisher..which they certainly dont...
I suppose what they wanted was for us to work together as a community... trading and sharing... but that's kinda hard for some folk...

However I'll say this even at 120 fishing 25 to 30 MIBS later still no freaking item.... rather annoying and well... enough to make me say F this and go back to playing No Man's Sky... FAR less annoying and more relaxing.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry that the RP community couldn't hold your interest, We try to be inclusive as possible. Though there are certain things we don't include such as power emoting and we frown on breaking character in the middle of RP ( we perfer to stay IC completely unless it's in party, chat, or guild), other than that we would love to see more people come try we even had a half dragon pirate I mean if that's not inclusive I don't know what is! Unfortuantely sometimes time schedules don't match up and not every one can get to an event or someone is hosting one at an inopportune time to not leave a story hanging for to long. I myself work terrible hours so i really can only do stuff on weekends, but some of the event runners have been kind enough to try to always make something happen on saturday even if it's just meeting up for a recap. You really have to try hard to feel excluded from the rp community if you are interested in being part of it because we are always excited to get new people and unless you are just there to grief you will be able to find people to interact with when you meet us.

I was a part of Catskills. *smiles* I played Tali and Alira.
Unfortunately, I just couldn't seem to become connected with the established community enough to keep it interesting enough for me. I still encourage others to others to give that community a shot. :heart:

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was a part of Catskills. *smiles* I played Tali and Alira.
Unfortunately, I just couldn't seem to become connected with the established community enough to keep it interesting enough for me. I still encourage others to others to give that community a shot. :heart:
Well, waiting for everyone to come to you probably didn't help. Looking back, I honestly cant really recall a single time later on where our characters interacted where I didn't first have approach you OOCly.

Sure, Tali was kind of stuck in one spot for a bit, but that didn't stop you from messaging someone and saying "hey, are you around? I'd like to play a bit."

You isolated yourself by expecting people to constantly approach you when, as Scarst said, we get busy. RP isn't a one way street. Schedules aren't always going to sync up. If you wanted to play but couldn't find us, ask. We tried to be inclusive, but sometimes it wasn't feasible based on current story lines.

Planters

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Did it with my wife a while ago.. errrr :blushing: the quest.. get your mind outta the gutter :grin: .. she was on the total quest chain but had not stood on the pentagram to get the "focus". She helped kill the Demon and did get the drop just as I did.
Question did each of you have to have the staff and everything or can one person piggyback on the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yeah.. each character had to have their own staff, theurgy, regs etc... The only exceptions were the Candles and killing the demon. Wife and I both got the drop from killing it even though only one of us had did the summon spell and placed the 'focus'.

Planters

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Yeah.. each character had to have their own staff, theurgy, regs etc... The only exceptions were the Candles and killing the demon. Wife and I both got the drop from killing it even though only one of us had did the summon spell and placed the 'focus'.
If each of you summon do you get 2 drops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If each of you summon do you get 2 drops?
Can't say for sure.. but could see where that would work. I was just saving on the regs needed to summon him. Never really saw the need for more than one of those per char.. but now that you mention it they would probably sell on vendor as well because a lot of folks either don't want to fight it, or can't kill it...