• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet control is too high on 3 slot pets.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had not really noticed this before last week when I started building a new tamer and found at 100 tame and lore a 3 slot rideable Llama takes 108 taming to use and train from 2 slot to 3 slot. Most of the pets that train out to 3 slot are very week in comparison to 4 slot or 5 slot pets. But would make fine intermediate pets for GM tamers that don't want to invest in taming and lore scrolls. Seems to me dropping their level of taming to control them to 88 instead of 108 would make them more useful and worthwhile for lower level tamers. Even for crafter types dropping the requirement would give us 3 slot beetles which are not very powerful at that point and still require 200 points invested into tame and lore for any kind of control over them. Just a thought.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What was the requirement for the old 4 slot Cus? 3 slot pets should be 10% lower than that.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What was the requirement for the old 4 slot Cus? 3 slot pets should be 10% lower than that.
Na I would just go with 88 that way a Gm lore/tamer has reasonable control over them and a 3 slot horse, beetle, Llama etc is not exactly a power house pet but still decent to use for light farming and protection. Would be wise to exclude some pets from that list though like lesser hiryus, mares, unicorns..... They can pack too much punch at 3 slots

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree with op

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Na I would just go with 88 that way a Gm lore/tamer has reasonable control over them and a 3 slot horse, beetle, Llama etc is not exactly a power house pet but still decent to use for light farming and protection. Would be wise to exclude some pets from that list though like lesser hiryus, mares, unicorns..... They can pack too much punch at 3 slots
Agree, this would make all the "animal" pets cept dires, bulls and gators fully controllable by gm, which seems right to me.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agree, this would make all the "animal" pets cept dires, bulls and gators fully controllable by gm, which seems right to me.
Cough there is somewhere a video of my greater Mongbat Tanking Navrey on LS :) Of course 4-5 people were constantly healing the poor little guy........ Might have to leave Mongbats at 108 :) Don't know why but the spider would break target on everyone elses pet and focus on poor Mongbat :(

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I remember right 4 slot Cu's were 100.1 or 101.1 to tame and you needed atleast 115 lore and tame to have semi dependable control.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Cough there is somewhere a video of my greater Mongbat Tanking Navrey on LS :) Of course 4-5 people were constantly healing the poor little guy........ Might have to leave Mongbats at 108 :) Don't know why but the spider would break target on everyone elses pet and focus on poor Mongbat :(
Spider thought he was getting fly for dinner.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spider thought he was getting fly for dinner.
It was funny Dons Reptalon was tanking it and as soon as I put the Mongbat on it, it retargeted to the Mongbat. Pull the bat off and it went right back to the reptalon. Put him back on and retargets right back to the bat. Only thing I can figure is Navrey hates Mongbats.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3 slot pets are honestly pretty strong. :p

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3 slot pets are honestly pretty strong. :p
LOL to a point :) Weak on base damag, you can max str or HP but not both, found it best to split them pretty even and bumping the resist up on a say Llama or horse takes quite a few points HPR yep but forget MR and SR if you want to get into the 350/350 HP STR range. Non of them will ever be PvP powerhouses or even mid tier farmers. But they are fun and do lend themselves to the RP aspect of the game.

I still think regular mongbats should be 3 slot and Greater Mongbats allowed to go 5 slot and get necro, Starting at 1 slot and going to 5 they would make the most viable necro pet and.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had not really noticed this before last week when I started building a new tamer and found at 100 tame and lore a 3 slot rideable Llama takes 108 taming to use and train from 2 slot to 3 slot. Most of the pets that train out to 3 slot are very week in comparison to 4 slot or 5 slot pets. But would make fine intermediate pets for GM tamers that don't want to invest in taming and lore scrolls. Seems to me dropping their level of taming to control them to 88 instead of 108 would make them more useful and worthwhile for lower level tamers. Even for crafter types dropping the requirement would give us 3 slot beetles which are not very powerful at that point and still require 200 points invested into tame and lore for any kind of control over them. Just a thought.
If a modern, regular dragon is 3 slots--and that's supposed to be 99% control at 100 tame/lore--I could see any 3 slot having that kind of control (93.9 tame). I guess there could be PvP considerations to make, but I am assuming PvP has gone to crap following the taming changes XD...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dragons are 4 slot now and trainable to 5 slot with overcapped STR. A big big difference between a 3 slot trained Llama and a untrained fresh tamed dragon. It did not take long for pets to be nerfed out of PvP. but PvP went to crap about the time AOS was released ;)

battle llama.png Dragon.png

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dragons are 4 slot now and trainable to 5 slot with overcapped STR. A big big difference between a 3 slot trained Llama and a untrained fresh tamed dragon. It did not take long for pets to be nerfed out of PvP. but PvP went to crap about the time AOS was released ;)
regular dragons are 4 now? ah. I see Pub 98 has actually nerfed pets pretty well! In PvP, I mean.

well, equipping specials on pets is kind of OP in general. pre cu sidhe and pre dread mare firebreath where you could exploit that, it wasnt quite as bad, I think.

back in the day you used to be able to force an enemy pet to go through a gate, then the tamer was easy pickings, haha. ah.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
regular dragons are 4 now? ah. I see Pub 98 has actually nerfed pets pretty well! In PvP, I mean.

well, equipping specials on pets is kind of OP in general. pre cu sidhe and pre dread mare firebreath where you could exploit that, it wasnt quite as bad, I think.

back in the day you used to be able to force an enemy pet to go through a gate, then the tamer was easy pickings, haha. ah.
LOL back in the day you find a tamer script training on rails and open a gate in their path and send them to the bottom of Covetous or Deceit or any other sure death place :)

Not sure when the trend of making bosses and even a lot of non boss PvP stuff just higher and higher HP and Stats became the trend but the pets GD for a long time was the only thing worth using outside of a few encounters where a Rune Beetle / Mare combo was marginally more effective. Sampire is still one of the best all around PvM templates. I am just getting old and lazy and prefer my Hiryus to do the work with the occasional greater heal. And A Goo Hiryu with Bushido/Parry and whirlwind chew through a Champ Spawn fairly fast. Running a Hybrid Fighter/archer tamer the CUs make about the best tank. Pets are more specialized now for specific encounters or farming different things. Want to load up on LvL 6 T maps A blue Beetle kills Miasma fairly fast and holds a lot of gold. Fire Beetle or Reptalon kills faster but lacks the trunk. Navrey a fire beetle or Chiv Hiryu make fairly short work of the spider. The 100% elemental drakes can be very effectively used in certain encounters where the bosses are very vulnerable to one elemental damage type.