• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

olde topic... population of UO

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HEheehhee well methinks..... we know the answer...we always have.... its simply the stratics crowd.... just look at the stratics total........please no more crap that ingame players dont use stratics...- why wouldnt they....only place for info etc etc .. its not rocket science is it....a good 1000 is still positive in my eye .....and most have many ...many ... many.... accounts... so we good for 5k plus subs.. and the uo store sales .....will keep us afloat... we good we good to brag too 20 years blah blah blah and still 1k-2k players.. thats very good methinks and will keep the light on for many a yeart while folks pay 4-5 castles .. some 40-50 accounts.. hey each to there own but they ALL READ ON HERE

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yeah I talk to a LOT of folks in game who never post here. They usually use UOGuide if they need any info.. My best guess would be that about half of UO's population (atleast on Atlantic) does not use Stratics though.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
HEheehhee well methinks..... we know the answer...we always have.... its simply the stratics crowd.... just look at the stratics total........please no more crap that ingame players dont use stratics...- why wouldnt they....only place for info etc etc .. its not rocket science is it....a good 1000 is still positive in my eye .....and most have many ...many ... many.... accounts... so we good for 5k plus subs.. and the uo store sales .....will keep us afloat... we good we good to brag too 20 years blah blah blah and still 1k-2k players.. thats very good methinks and will keep the light on for many a yeart while folks pay 4-5 castles .. some 40-50 accounts.. hey each to there own but they ALL READ ON HERE
Honestly i've lurked Stratics for over 15 years before finally creating an account in Dec 2015, so yeah I can believe there's more than half of the UO player base that don't use this site or created an account. A good example is the winner of the luna house "Zane" that sold for 65plats, people were barely able to reach him lol. The game probably has around 10-15k subs that run multiple accounts, some of those do the 90 days and others barely play but keep paying every month to keep their accounts going. I'm just happy the game is still around and hopeful we'll someday go part F2P with other changes to bring more people back :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't think even half the UO players use Stratics, however it seems like most of the best connected ones do. Even though Stratics is a small community, it's amazing how fast the posters here can find a particular person or item when they want to.

Those threads that show up sometimes where people are looking for one specific person who owns a house or rare item somewhere, and no one here knows who they are... a lot of the time those create chain reactions of messages being sent throughout everyone's social networks. Eventually the message gets to the person through friends of friends even though they have never used Stratics before.

The same thing also happens in reverse with drama. Some drama happens in a small guild on some random shard, and yet somehow it ends up on Stratics through the message network.

There are also quite a few regular posters who post here for people who don't use Stratics at all, they just post their friends thoughts on the forums along with their own posts.

Zane's house that Archnight mentioned is the perfect example. I had no clue whatsoever who Zane was, but made a thread about his house being for sale.

Within about 6 hours Zane added me on icq and knew about the thread I posted, despite him not having a Stratics account, due to his friends that do read Stratics telling him about it. He and I then continued talking and I updated the thread about his sale for him, even though I still barely know who he is.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, what truly matters is how it's seen in-game by the players...and on most shards, it's not very busy, obviously making some people feel like the game isn't doing very well.. that never has a positive effect.

Eventually UO has to pull in new players, whether it be by advertising, being released on Steam, or even the Origin platform.... something, the sooner the better.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There are at least a dozen folk that I know that NEVER post on Stratics and of those at least 80%of them don't even READ Stratics.

I know some folk who message me to tell me to post on Stratics things that they have concerns about.... as they refuse to use it...

Some ask me things and I find answers for them on Stratics or UOGuide... but yeah... and many of them have multiple accounts.

some used to use Stratics but don't anymore and others won't use a site that isn't "official" and others just want to play the game not read about it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, what truly matters is how it's seen in-game by the players...and on most shards, it's not very busy, obviously making some people feel like the game isn't doing very well.. that never has a positive effect.

Eventually UO has to pull in new players, whether it be by advertising, being released on Steam, or even the Origin platform.... something, the sooner the better.
Ya try and ask a question on the Diablo 3 forums. It drops a page in a short time.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep in mind, every house placed on every prodo shard is from a paid account. That adds up to a *lot* of paid accounts. Even with some folks only paying some accounts every fourth month.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well at least it's 1 house per account on Trammel.

I have many accounts with 5 grandfathered houses here and there in Felucca.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep in mind, every house placed on every prodo shard is from a paid account. That adds up to a *lot* of paid accounts. Even with some folks only paying some accounts every fourth month.
nope theres still loads of house that are bugged and will stand forever unpaid...

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a couple of fellows in my tiny guild that just recently found out that there was an in game chat. :) "How do you keep finding about these things!?", he wondered. Our guild use to be very big, but now, it is 5 people. We have lost TONS of people, but I can legit say that I, Sibble Sib, Zooithion, Ishmael (<- they are all gone, sib has been quiet on here since April) and one other fellow, can't think of his name on here, plays currently (sorry guildie!) That I have seen post on any forum since 1997. I and the unknown named fellow are the only ones who currently use stratics. Everyone else uses me for information. I get lots of questions about items, game play, skills, the current events, I try to provide information they would not otherwise know about. Granted the splash gives information, but as fast as it is progressing, even I am having troubles. Of us 5, just today a 3rd took an interest in the map part of the event. and I can not even being to tell you how many people have asked in general chat... Why is blackrock so hot right now? (not those exact words) The splash needs to be bigger with more information. When they post something like "shard down" it bumps the other information down. What was this about again???!!!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have a couple of fellows in my tiny guild that just recently found out that there was an in game chat. :) "How do you keep finding about these things!?", he wondered. Our guild use to be very big, but now, it is 5 people. We have lost TONS of people, but I can legit say that I, Sibble Sib, Zooithion, Ishmael (<- they are all gone, sib has been quiet on here since April) and one other fellow, can't think of his name on here, plays currently (sorry guildie!) That I have seen post on any forum since 1997. I and the unknown named fellow are the only ones who currently use stratics. Everyone else uses me for information. I get lots of questions about items, game play, skills, the current events, I try to provide information they would not otherwise know about. Granted the splash gives information, but as fast as it is progressing, even I am having troubles. Of us 5, just today a 3rd took an interest in the map part of the event. and I can not even being to tell you how many people have asked in general chat... Why is blackrock so hot right now? (not those exact words) The splash needs to be bigger with more information. When they post something like "shard down" it bumps the other information down. What was this about again???!!!
You could put a giant flickering screen on the splash that would rival vagas and 1/2 the players wouldn't even notice... Most folk click past pretty much everything... they log in and go about their business... the only time they look for an answer to something is when they can't log in.... You could put in there that if they clicked on the link they would win a new castle on Atl they would not notice.

It's a sad fact... I played with tons of folk over the years who used me for information... they never went to uo.com even except maybe to update their CC information... They didn't go to Origin or anything unless they wanted to buy the latest expansion... they honestly don't have a clue what's new unless you tell them.

These are the people that have left over the years as well because they found the game left them behind... they didn't like change.

Everyone seems to have their niche in-game... be it crafting/bods, PvP, RP, or collecting ..... PvM... whatever... guess that's what makes the game pretty awesome.

If you want to estimate how many people are still around you might try counting all the houses on every shard... 1/2 that number... (don't bother counting Siege.. since most them have a house somewhere else and many others have a house there)... Then divide that number by 5 or 6... since many folk have 10+ accounts but there are still those with 1 ..... so I think it would average out around 5 or 6. Might be close ...

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

My guild has say 20 active, and of them, I'm the only active poster here.
Most have no interest or clue about Stratics, they get relevant information from myself or a couple of other guildies who do read here.

Most of my guild are pvpers who play in Fel, so are not really interested in the content here, Stratics nor the game developers cater to them, or very very rarely do content or updates for Fel.

Only 2 of us are doing the new content Arc quests (which I do enjoy by the way), and while we grind and struggle our way through it, the rest are sat there thinking how to get more PvP, they did 3 Harries in a row last night. Do we send a team to Atlantic for more PvP, or do we send a team to that Shard where they have stopped anyone getting access to Powerscrolls, and break that cartel, these are the questions my guild discuss.

Even myself, I think I have been banned in the past a few times from Stratics, my behaviour was perfectly fine, I just rubbed the Stratics elite up the wrong way in those days, they were very closed shop and had that reputation in the old days. Stratics staff themselves are a tiny bit more flexible these days, and the users themselves have grown up a bit (including myself).

I've played 18+ years, I only created this account in 2014, and only did my first batch of posts in April 2017, when I felt things ingame were going way off course.

I actually feel now, this development team are beginning to see things from a players perspective better, I don't doubt their technical ability or commitment, I just thought before I came here to show a bit of a view of the other side, their thinking was extremely straightjacketed, and everything was about Trammel and Sampires. I am very pleased they have expanded on that thinking.

Back to your point, I know a ton of players who do not use Stratics, outside of my guild also. Older players who are just happy to play the game, casual players and PvPers.
UOGuide has a ton of great information, and I will be honest, I still cannot myself use either the UO wiki, or the Stratics wiki, I have never used them, due to not knowing how to find stuff on them. For me, UOGuide is a perfect way of doing things. It's annoying, as I know the 2 latter have more up to date information, but this morning, I've been looking for the 20th anniversary arc data on Stratics wiki, and cannot find it.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been waiting to see if anyone else would post about this and no one has yet. So I'm going to bring it up and ask what people think this means: In the 2nd issue of the Town Cryer for the 20th Anniversary event, the issue that is a classified ad by Al Harrington for his treasure map sale, there is a line that reads, "Whatever it is, the lucrative profession of treasure hunting can have you swimming in fat stacks of coin before Trammel and Felucca are full again!" [my emphasis added]

What does Al know that we don't know?? He apparently did get the maps for his sale from the Royal Britannian Guard as a result of some secret operation they pulled off.

Edited to add: Also, one or two of the newspapers have also made veiled (or not-so-veiled) references to people needing gold to cover high vendor fees. Are changes in the works for vendor fees?

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly i've lurked Stratics for over 15 years before finally creating an account in Dec 2015, so yeah I can believe there's more than half of the UO player base that don't use this site or created an account. A good example is the winner of the luna house "Zane" that sold for 65plats, people were barely able to reach him lol. The game probably has around 10-15k subs that run multiple accounts, some of those do the 90 days and others barely play but keep paying every month to keep their accounts going. I'm just happy the game is still around and hopeful we'll someday go part F2P with other changes to bring more people back :)

My friends read info & guides in Stratics, but they don't read posts in forum, and they never post anything.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most people I know in-game don't speak english and thus aren't using stratics. A few of them lurk around in another way smaller forum, but the majority doesn't use any forum/website at all.
I would assume, the same holds true for the asian crowd...

Besides, just because someone is active on stratics, doesn't mean he/she has an active sub...

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
A lot of active Asian players don't post here. Hey, we only have Taiwanese, Japanese and Korean shards and these countries' population are not majority English speaking, except maybe Taiwan there is slightly more. Fortunately, there are few from HK, Singapore as well who would rather write in English. But none of them are regular posters here except maybe 1 or 2 guys, perhaps in the trade forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You could put a giant flickering screen on the splash that would rival vagas and 1/2 the players wouldn't even notice... Most folk click past pretty much everything... they log in and go about their business... the only time they look for an answer to something is when they can't log in.... You could put in there that if they clicked on the link they would win a new castle on Atl they would not notice.

It's a sad fact... I played with tons of folk over the years who used me for information... they never went to uo.com even except maybe to update their CC information... They didn't go to Origin or anything unless they wanted to buy the latest expansion... they honestly don't have a clue what's new unless you tell them.

These are the people that have left over the years as well because they found the game left them behind... they didn't like change.

Everyone seems to have their niche in-game... be it crafting/bods, PvP, RP, or collecting ..... PvM... whatever... guess that's what makes the game pretty awesome.

If you want to estimate how many people are still around you might try counting all the houses on every shard... 1/2 that number... (don't bother counting Siege.. since most them have a house somewhere else and many others have a house there)... Then divide that number by 5 or 6... since many folk have 10+ accounts but there are still those with 1 ..... so I think it would average out around 5 or 6. Might be close ...
I would put it around 5k individuals and 15k paid and active accounts. There was a poll somewhere a while back about how many active accounts people had excluding the 90 day free riders. A few had 50-60 several had 10-20 a lot had 1-10 and averaged it out to 3.5 accounts per individual. Wish I could remember where that poll was can't remember if it was Stratics or another forum :( Granted it was a small sampling of only 55 or 60 people.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I would put it around 5k individuals and 15k paid and active accounts. There was a poll somewhere a while back about how many active accounts people had excluding the 90 day free riders. A few had 50-60 several had 10-20 a lot had 1-10 and averaged it out to 3.5 accounts per individual. Wish I could remember where that poll was can't remember if it was Stratics or another forum :( Granted it was a small sampling of only 55 or 60 people.
True.. but that only included Stratics active posters. I hate to say it. .but that ole IDOCGuy probably has the exact number on houses on all shards somewhere in his data base.. he'd be able to give us a pretty good idea of what kind of population UO truly has.. of course even with those number you would need to back out 10-20% to allow for Grandfathered houses and glitched houses that will never fall...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
True.. but that only included Stratics active posters. I hate to say it. .but that ole IDOCGuy probably has the exact number on houses on all shards somewhere in his data base.. he'd be able to give us a pretty good idea of what kind of population UO truly has.. of course even with those number you would need to back out 10-20% to allow for Grandfathered houses and glitched houses that will never fall...
Hence my saying you have to 1/2 the number of houses in the first place to make up for things like the grandfathered factor... there are tons of old vets who have multiple houses... multiple... on multiple shards... with as many old vets as there are I think 1/2 the number of houses before you divide the number by 5 which I think is pretty close to the average number of accounts per person... between the many who have over the years dropped to 1 active... or so and those who "float" accounts and pay 1 every 3 months and may have 10 accounts but only 1 or 2 active at a time... etc... you might get close to the number of active players then... which I think is somewhere near ~5k... in most english speaking shards and probably another 6 or 8k in the Asian shards...

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There use to be person who would mark a rune for every home and fill rune books and let us know how many houses.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't forget some of us used to play but now just lurk on here too.

Broadsword is hiring a new dev according to their website, at least that's a good sign that imminent closure isn't upon us!
That "hiring software engineer" message has been there for about three years already to be fair though heh.