• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

TV CNN Saves Man's Life, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
CNN saved a man from downing when his pickup truck started to float away. They posted the story and video on CNN.com but...

Pay close attention to the pants the reporter in the red jacket is wearing at around the 0:50 second mark, they are tan colored Khaki pants. The video breaks and starts again just as the man is out of the truck and on his hands and knees with the reporter telling him he's "OK" now. Check the reporter's pants again.

The reporter likely got cold or wet during the cut and put them on but forgot to take them off again when they finished their "rescue" scene? Oops.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
CNN saved a man from downing when his pickup truck started to float away. They posted the story and video on CNN.com but...

Pay close attention to the pants the reporter in the red jacket is wearing at around the 0:50 second mark, they are tan colored Khaki pants. The video breaks and starts again just as the man is out of the truck and on his hands and knees with the reporter telling him he's "OK" now. Check the reporter's pants again.

The reporter likely got cold or wet during the cut and put them on but forgot to take them off again when they finished their "rescue" scene? Oops.
I'd so love to share my thoughts on this, but will exercise restraint... wouldn't want to break any rules (which I'm sure I would).. o.0

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've seen them do things like this in real life while filming the local news. Occasionally you can watch them convincing people to do multiple takes of a scene that is supposedly "live" because it didn't look right the first time they did it.

For example once they were reporting on a fire that happened at a local restaurant I happened to be near at the time, but the fire was put out faster than they were able to get good film of it. They actually convinced the restaurant owner to set it on fire again for a minute while they filmed it before putting it out for the second time. It was crazy, and I'm guessing they paid him for allowing that.

It's not just CNN, it's become a standard part of news reporting that they will try to redo things to make it look better before the audience sees it if they can.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
ROFL... @Captn Norrington that one got me there..

they were actually not with a network but from the insurance company hoping to get the owner charged with starting the fire so they would not have to pay off on the policy.. gotta watch those insurance dudes, they slick ;)

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
the corrupt media.

my brother's house burned down a few years ago. the local news aired a story about the fire. they reported the fire fighters had difficulties putting out the fire and one of the reasons was because there were 200 rounds of ammunition in the house. my brother is an avid hunter and had a box (ONE BOX) of bullets in a closet. sensationalism at its finest.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I trust Snopes to give me the honest answer about as much as my seven year old step son when I ask him "did you break that"... which is about.. never lol
lol -- i knew this'd b answer. surprised it took so long! truth is 2 believe this u have 2 believe big conspiracy, 'cos cnn's competitors would love this & have 2b in on it not 2 cover it.

google cnn fake rescue or cnn fakes rescue or something. no results from real news places, not even fox. google cnn rescue site:foxnews.com 2 search within foxnews.com. fox'd love to show up its competitor. nothing.

so if u base on faith in this being fake then nothing will alter ur view -- but faith's all u got. lol

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Ummm.. nah.. not faith.. seeing is not faith.. faith is something you have when you do not see something.. I see the dude wearing two different pants so not taken on faith. I will say that Captn's post above is indeed plausible.. but even then it is stupidity that causes the issue of the two pants... and neither lies nor stupidity is conducive to getting actual true reporting..

which btw there is no actual true reporting these days.. only opinion based reporting..

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Ummm.. nah.. not faith.. seeing is not faith.. faith is something you have when you do not see something.. I see the dude wearing two different pants so not taken on faith. I will say that Captn's post above is indeed plausible.. but even then it is stupidity that causes the issue of the two pants... and neither lies nor stupidity is conducive to getting actual true reporting..

which btw there is no actual true reporting these days.. only opinion based reporting..

No it's faith, and this is why.

You see this video, and you see something in the video that makes you jump to the conclusion that it's faked. Or, rather, Alex Jones and a couple of others of his ilk saw that, and the thing snowballed, and you picked it up. (I, for one, never would've even heard of this incident had there not been the claim about it being faked.)

So let us examine this claim. You have a valid explanation in the article I linked to as to why you saw what you saw: one man, mistaken for another, mistaken for an unexplaned wardrobe change, which means the footage must be faked. You also have an explanation, in the same article, as to why the fact pattern you think you see is not physically possible. (And by the way, why would someone switching clothes be proof on the face of faked footage? Weird to be sure and something that should be looked into further but not proof. In this case though it clearly didn't happen that way.)

Against that we have a claim that the footage was faked, for the reasons see above: Wardrobe change (not really but we'll go with it), becomes faked footage.

Assuming these two explanations were equal (which they aren't, see above), then we shall look for external sources to verify one claim or another. One thing I'd expect to see if it were faked is another news outlet other than Alex Jones and those of his ilk jumping all over it. Why? Because this is a competitive industry (what better way to stick it to your rivals than to catch them faking something) and because that'd be an awesome news story (major news outlet, who happens to be our rival, caught faking something). If this is fake even Fox News hasn't touched it that I can find, so they would have to be in on the conspiracy too. I've gone 4 pages deep on Google on the web generally, and 2 pages on a specific search on the FoxNews.com domain. And I've found nothing making this faith-based claim that isn't Alex Jones-esque, when what we should be looking for is one of CNN's rivals showing it up like they'd love to do. Mainstream media may have poor research skills (note the Amelia Earhart picture from a few months back! that was horrid) but they sure love a "gotcha" moment. Especially with a rival. Yet, in this case, nothing.

Oh here's something else: Why did CNN do such a poor job of faking this rescue that you could see the seams showing? Wouldn't they have tried harder to cover up a fake? I'd surely hope so. This fake was going to be seen by millions of people on television and the Internet.

So what we have is one claim that's credible on the face of it, and one claim that would require extraordinary evidence to prove. Extraordinary evidence which we do not have and indeed, we have a specific lack of.

So ultimately it takes faith to believe what you believe. It's kind of like those people who insist they see planet Nibiru in the sky, or aliens in the coffin lid of Mayan King Pakal, or lost civilizations in the Atlantic Ocean. A claim that it takes an immense amount of faith, of sheer belief, to believe, faith that overrides any thought about the context of what you're looking at.

Regarding Snopes.com's alleged bias, here's them being way too kind to Barbara Bush about a callous remark she made, attempting to find context for it. They bent over backwards to cover up a Republican former first lady's callousness.

Barbara Bush 'Beautiful Mind' Quote

Here's them debunking an urban legend about the second President Bush.

Bush and French Word For Entrepreneur

Here is them debunking something that I saw on CNN.com.

FACT CHECK: Do 'Sonic Weapons' Adequately Explain 'Health Attacks' on Diplomats in Cuba?

So, yes, you are making a faith-based claim where one is not appropriate. I know I won't persuade you, that's the nature of faith, but for anyone on the fence....Well, there you go.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So let us examine this claim. You have a valid explanation in the article I linked to as to why you saw what you saw: one man, mistaken for another, mistaken for an unexplaned wardrobe change, which means the footage must be faked. You also have an explanation, in the same article, as to why the fact pattern you think you see is not physically possible. (And by the way, why would someone switching clothes be proof on the face of faked footage? Weird to be sure and something that should be looked into further but not proof. In this case though it clearly didn't happen that way.)
It would be proof of faked footage because this is not a normal thought process:

"oh look, a truck floating away, I must go help!"........"but I must first change my pants during this emergency!"

Additionally, I have no idea why you think that isn't the same person... but it is, and I have collected a series of screenshots from a video on the CNN website and then the reporters official picture from the same website to prove it is the same person.

The headline says Griffin is his name:

Untitled.png

Here is Griffin's official CNN picture:

griffin.png

This is a picture of the guy wearing tan pants as he is "running to help":

Untitled3.png

The side of the Griffin's head in comparison:

Untitled999.png

Here is the guy wearing black pants after the "rescue" is over:

Untitled1.png

This is the guy wearing black pants a second after walking back up to the camera:

Untitled2.png

You really don't see the perfect resemblance in all of those pictures? It's the same guy.... and I highly doubt there is another guy named Griffin wearing an identical red jacket, who looks the same as the first guy, in the same news crew, at the same time.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
*sighs*

A costume change would be suggestive of something weird. It wouldn't be proof, by itself, of the video being faked. Take, as another example, my delay in replying: Does this mean, automatically, that I'm part of the conspiracy and was waiting for my instructions on how to respond?

In the picture you posted, the dude running, we can't see his pants. A frame or two later when the dude in the shorts is standing there, I, for one, can't see his head. I just watched the video. Red jackets with hoods are not uncommon, and I'm betting more than one says CNN on it.

As stated, and explained, rather clearly, above, we'd expect to see other things if this video were faked, not the least of which is that we'd expect it to be made well enough that you couldn't see the seams. Yet, you can. We'd also see other mainstream rivals yelling at them really loud. If you had more, and the costume change to boot, you'd surely have something more than faith. You don't.

It would be proof of faked footage because this is not a normal thought process:

"oh look, a truck floating away, I must go help!"........"but I must first change my pants during this emergency!"

Additionally, I have no idea why you think that isn't the same person... but it is, and I have collected a series of screenshots from a video on the CNN website and then the reporters official picture from the same website to prove it is the same person.

The headline says Griffin is his name:

View attachment 72569

Here is Griffin's official CNN picture:

View attachment 72571

This is a picture of the guy wearing tan pants as he is "running to help":

View attachment 72572

The side of the Griffin's head in comparison:

View attachment 72574

Here is the guy wearing black pants after the "rescue" is over:

View attachment 72573

This is the guy wearing black pants a second after walking back up to the camera:

View attachment 72570

You really don't see the perfect resemblance in all of those pictures? It's the same guy.... and I highly doubt there is another guy named Griffin wearing an identical red jacket, who looks the same as the first guy, in the same news crew, at the same time.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This thread is already going into politicized statements. Political statements are not allowed on Stratics including in Off Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.