• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

pets and summons casting on invisible players

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This has been going on for a while now.
Against tamers or spellweavers with pixies in PvP I smoke bomb and still get hit with spells while I am invisible. For a while I assumed that it was some delayed spell going off after I hid or it was me lagging.
Then I took a closer look and realized it wasn't delayed spells, it was all sorts of spells that require targeting and unbroken line of sight like magic arrow, debuffs, fire ball, even lightning going off when I had already taken several steps. Still I thought that maybe it was me lagging.

But now I have definitive proof that pets and summons can target and cast on hidden players.
I was fighting a group in destard today that had tamers and mystics among them. I had to run off screen because I was targeted by lesser hiryus and RCs, so I smoke bombed and cast an RC that ended up attacking one of the hiryus that had been standing still for about 30 seconds. I hid again and while the hiryu was fighting the RC it suddenly started casting spells on me despite the fact that I was hidden!
The same happened when I had to smoke bomb again and was continuously cast on by an enemy RC with mysticism spells which ended up revealing me (it cast sleep, spell plague and bombard on me while I was already stealthing half a screen away).

I experienced this bug against pixies, RCs and spell casting pets. None of which used area damage spells when they targeted me while hidden. Possibly this applies to other summons too.

My character is on Siege Perilous, a red and obviously was combat flagged when this happened but still it shouldn't be targeted when hidden unless it gets hit with area damage.

@Bleak @Kyronix @Mesanna could you please take a close look at this and fix it?

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Max, I'm still learning about the new pet training system. However, when that new system came out earlier this year, I lored most of the pets I have on various shards and I noticed that many of them now showed a "new" skill on the lore gump: Detect Hidden.

This is what I saw for different types of pets for Detect Hidden skill: cu sidhe 67.5, bane dragons 55.0, giant beetles 52.3, fire beetles 18.0, pack horses 2.9, bouras 38.3, dragons 67.5, dread warhorses 54.3, fire steeds 48.3, frenzied ostards 23.6, hiryus (not the lesser type) about 80.9-81.0 Detect Hidden skill, Greater Dragons and Dragon Turtle Hatchlings (and also Frost Dragons) 90.0, nightmares 49.7, rune beetles 54.0, and white wyrms 63.3.

Something else I've noticed is that pets don't seem to gain in Detect Hidden skill. However, if they die, they do lose a fraction of the skill.

Anyway, not sure if it's relevant to your situation or not. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know about detect hidden on pets. If the detect hidden allows them to cast on me while I am hidden then this is simply overpowered.

I still believe it's a targeting bug though where the pets and summons don't realize that line of sight has been broken and the system allows them to still cast on me.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suspect this is related but I have noticed for a good while now while using throwing or archery at the wolf house. When a Ninja does the smoke bomb/invis thing I keep right on hitting it with ranged attacks while it is invisible. Same if I am using a mage and have it targeted with a last spell, last target macro. And after reading this pulled a couple of ninjas to the porch of one of the wolf houses with a cage and the mare keep casting on it while the ninja was hidden.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Area effect spells...? if i remember you can get the effects even hidden

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the spells max is talking about aren't area effect (sleep maybe, but not spell plaque and bombard) this is an issue and has been for awhile.
you cant get hit with all area effect spells that's a myth or just bs from people who don't know.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Found another thing that suggests there is indeed a targeting issue for casting creatures.

When you have a mountable pet and have a casting monster attack it you can mount the pet and the monster will keep casting on the pet. You can see the spell's animation "flying" to the upper right corner of the screen and the pet will even get resist gains that way. So clearly for some reason the system doesn't realize that the monster's target is actually not supposed to be targetable.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
definitley not area effects since I have also been hit by pixies (who don't cast area effect spells at all) and the spells that hit me were non-delayed single target spells (weaken, magic arrow, harm, lightning etc.).

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I suspect this is related but I have noticed for a good while now while using throwing or archery at the wolf house. When a Ninja does the smoke bomb/invis thing I keep right on hitting it with ranged attacks while it is invisible. Same if I am using a mage and have it targeted with a last spell, last target macro. And after reading this pulled a couple of ninjas to the porch of one of the wolf houses with a cage and the mare keep casting on it while the ninja was hidden.
yeah sounds like the same bug.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
definitley not area effects since I have also been hit by pixies (who don't cast area effect spells at all) and the spells that hit me were non-delayed single target spells (weaken, magic arrow, harm, lightning etc.).
Slight correction: Magic Arrow does have a slight delay. It isn't a guaranteed reveal when monsters use it though - there's a specific damage threshold they have to reach, and a mob's Magic Arrow usually doesn't do enough to a player/

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're right, I should have been more specific: I was hit by a combo of weaken, feeble mind and THEN magic arrow, all while I was hidden. The delay for magic arrow would never have been long enough to hit me while I was already stealthed half a screen away. If I remember correctly the magic arrow delay is something like 0.5 seconds, right?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Found another thing that suggests there is indeed a targeting issue for casting creatures.

When you have a mountable pet and have a casting monster attack it you can mount the pet and the monster will keep casting on the pet. You can see the spell's animation "flying" to the upper right corner of the screen and the pet will even get resist gains that way. So clearly for some reason the system doesn't realize that the monster's target is actually not supposed to be targetable.
What is funny is when your mount dies while you are mounted.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I suspect this is related but I have noticed for a good while now while using throwing or archery at the wolf house. When a Ninja does the smoke bomb/invis thing I keep right on hitting it with ranged attacks while it is invisible.
It has been that way for many, many years.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're wasting your breath, @ ing the devs, maybe @Bleak seems to understand the game but the other members of the team have demonstrated a lack of interest in fixing bugs and instead are more interested in brushing things under the carpet and maintaining that everything is working as intended as they're not compitent enough. This is the team that have admitted it's beyond their capability of putting a comma in the left hand side of the trade window.

I think Bleak was looking into pet targetting. Because when i was complaining about losing mounts' healthbars when riding them, Kyronix seemed to believe that meerly having the mounts bar will enable the mounts to be targetted, and stupidly thought the solution was to not enable players to grab the bar of a mounted pet, and did not realise that you can still target mounted pets with last target. So yes perhaps the two issues are related. Perhaps bleak can fix it but the other members of the team have demonstrated they're more interested in defending their salary and maintaining there's nothing to see here, will put their fingers in their ears and say Tra lala la i'm not listening :next:

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has been that way for many, many years.
I have porch killed a lot of Ninjas since I placed the first wolf house at SE release and never noticed it before. They smoked out and target lock was broken until they reappeared or you step down and let them hit you and you retargeted. Mirror image still breaks target like it always has.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have porch killed a lot of Ninjas since I placed the first wolf house at SE release and never noticed it before. They smoked out and target lock was broken until they reappeared or you step down and let them hit you and you retargeted. Mirror image still breaks target like it always has.
Before Siege, when I played on Europa, I used to farm lesser hiryus for leather with an archer and I remember those ninjas used to hop out of the shadows and attack every now and then. And when they smoke bombed the arrows would still hit them while hidden and all you saw was the puddles of blood every time an arrow connected.