• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My first time in UO...forgetting to lock down a chest.

I lost a whole chest that was my pirate's chest. Special fishing nets, countless epic fencing weapons I collected for him, extra armor pieces, special loot from SOS/locked chests... Is it worth calling a GM over this? I can't believe there isn't some alert for this. Forgetting to lock a chest can be a gigantic loss...as it is now for me. Sigh.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Sadly nope..

I mean ya can.. but you are going to get the "do not replace yadda yadda" after waiting a little while.

Sorry for the bad luck though.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh, a valuable lesson you have learned there, and one we have ALL done at some point in our time in UO.
Mine was a gold strongbox that contained about 30 Artifacts (back when they were the "end game" stuff)........i cried a little that next morning when i realized what i had done. ;)

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
One of my sleeping hamster containers went public after a publish and someone helped themselves with all my main account soulstones.
Bad stuff just happen.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sorry to hear you lost all that stuff. I'm obsessive with checking valuable things are locked down correctly. I lock it, pull on it to make sure I can't move it, ... log out, log back in... lock it again... pull on it again.

There have been times where I've seen something unlock itself right after I locked it, and where even though I couldn't move it while pulling on it, for some reason other people could... hence the logging out and back in thing.

Atropos

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
cavern of the discarded maybe??? not sure if stuff that decayed goes there but Ive found awesome stuff there before :p

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
cavern of the discarded maybe??? not sure if stuff that decayed goes there but Ive found awesome stuff there before :p
Sadly that only works if you use a trash bin...

No sad lesson learned... one I myself learned once or twice...

Since then many of us wake in the night just after going to be thinking "OMG did I lock that down?????" And then you just can't get to sleep so you have to trudge back to the computer fire it back up log back in and check and recheck every chest... before trudging back to bed where you sleep somewhat more peacefully but still weary that you may have missed something...

Anytime I have moved, redecorated or just added things I get this overwhelming urge to recheck things over and over... Like UO wants to build on my CDO... I already freely admit I have... anyone with CDO will understand... you can never just walk away.

I've had that...where I got up late to check if I really locked something down. This time I had no suspicion of not locking anything down and lost a whole chest. What a disaster. :(

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've had that...where I got up late to check if I really locked something down. This time I had no suspicion of not locking anything down and lost a whole chest. What a disaster. :(
I spent days searching for the chest I "knew" I had that was full of those items we got from attacking the waves of mobs one year that were Mythic, Legendary and such... the entire chest vanished... not sure where it went but I was certain it was locked down... since I check and recheck 800x... I don't know what ever happened to it... all I know is ... it vanished.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've had it happen too. Makes you wish the would add a warning when logging out, "Do you really want to log out with chests not locked down?" Wishful thinking

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm paranoid about locking down stuff!

Back in the day when there was constant crashes and reverts I never knew if my locked down items would be there.

So now I'll lock down a chest and wait a couple days before putting anything into it.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry for your loss Freind

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Put a comod box down with a whole lot of deeded resources in a few years ago and had to run out and deal with a a RL crisis. I forgot to lock it down before running out the door......... Came back after getting all of the cattle back in and logged in and the chest of course was gone. Still stings to this day when I think about it :)

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sadly that only works if you use a trash bin...

No sad lesson learned... one I myself learned once or twice...

Since then many of us wake in the night just after going to be thinking "OMG did I lock that down?????" And then you just can't get to sleep so you have to trudge back to the computer fire it back up log back in and check and recheck every chest... before trudging back to bed where you sleep somewhat more peacefully but still weary that you may have missed something...

Anytime I have moved, redecorated or just added things I get this overwhelming urge to recheck things over and over... Like UO wants to build on my CDO... I already freely admit I have... anyone with CDO will understand... you can never just walk away.
CDO = OCD in alphabetical order. lol Sadly, I can relate....

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One thing that killed me was years ago I picked up this cute little barrel in the woods, took it home, unlocked it, locked it down, filled it up! *poof!* It still had it's timer to poof from the thieves... had a whole home go poof once! But well that was my fault :( It aches thinking about the double named Juka bows I lost alone along with my "a magical instruments". I had one of each.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One thing that killed me was years ago I picked up this cute little barrel in the woods, took it home, unlocked it, locked it down, filled it up! *poof!* It still had it's timer to poof from the thieves... had a whole home go poof once! But well that was my fault :( It aches thinking about the double named Juka bows I lost alone along with my "a magical instruments". I had one of each.
Oh... that one had to hurt... I remember back when house customization first came out... had a nifty little Villa near Vesper... I would design an awesome house... come home the next day and my neighbor would have copied his house identically to mine... so I'd design another one... and one time I was doing that (and if you recall back then ALL your belongings went into the moving crate when you went into custom mode).... I was redecoing afterwards and I wanted to put my crafting stuff on the roof... so I was almost finished only had one chest left in the crate... it happened to be the one will ALL my ingots, hammers, and all my bows in it.... god it still hurts... but I went to place it and it didn't place right because I was standing too close and when *ZIP* back into the moving crate just as the moving crate deleted itself because the last item was removed... *POOF* Everything vanished... no moving crate in the house sign I paged a GM... who of course gave me the line "I'm sorry but we can not replace lost or stolen items.".... I wanted to vomit... I was so sick... so instead I checked my losses... swallowed my pride and came here to warn everyone to NOT let that happen... leave one item in the moving crate that is light enough to be picked up and put in your backpack... rather than have such an expensive mistake happen to them...

still hurts.

MrMightySmith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everytime i move i literally use the ctr shift tab and grab every chest like 3 times before i log out to make sure i secure everything. If its high value stuff like soul-stones i wait a day to even store them in a container just to be extra safe.

Retlaw of Vesper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Before I move things I look at my house sign to see how many items are locked down, and then after everything is moved I check to make sure the number is the same (or at least close if I added/removed anything).

Pix

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The one I love, and just lived through is the one where your beetle is loaded to the brim with imbuning ingredients, and because you're a gargoyle you can't hop on it and guarantee a safe log out. As you'er imbuning you are called away to 'go help' (on a different char, housed in a different house) so you do the log out and log in thing and don't realise the critter holding ALL your stuff is still standing in world. Of course, you come back many hours later to a gone wild critter and no stuff !!!!!!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The one I love, and just lived through is the one where your beetle is loaded to the brim with imbuning ingredients, and because you're a gargoyle you can't hop on it and guarantee a safe log out. As you'er imbuning you are called away to 'go help' (on a different char, housed in a different house) so you do the log out and log in thing and don't realise the critter holding ALL your stuff is still standing in world. Of course, you come back many hours later to a gone wild critter and no stuff !!!!!!
Oh ow!

Or the boat you have full of all sorts of treasure including that elusive Yellow Polkadot bikini is parked near the Serpent Pillar and you have to call it a night... so everything is fine it's all good and you get back on the next day and try to recall to your boat and it's not there... and it just doesn't exist anymore so you go to the nearest harbor master to call your boat and he "can't find it"... so you page a GM and they can't find it... *sigh*... but you were just on it hours earlier????? yep...

Had the packy full of gifty stuff go poof on me once... that hurt. I try not to ever leave stuff in them anymore.