• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

If any dev is looking at the forums right now...

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go to Atlantic, Luna see the purple naked player. Hear the purple naked player in chat.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Unfortunately, it is far from the first time it's happened.... I see that about once a week on average on Atlantic. Not quite as bad as that one was usually though....

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Turn off Chat if you don't like it. No idea who the guy is or what he said but you have the option to turn it off.

Quit your crying...if you don't like what someone is saying put them on ignore.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Turn off Chat if you don't like it. No idea who the guy is or what he said but you have the option to turn it off.

Children play the game.... they don't need to see that sort of stuff...

No one does... wouldn't put up with it IRL don't need to tolerate it in a fantasy game either...

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Doesn't work on Atlantic. The ignore list has a relatively small cap and it's by character not by account. All they have to do is change characters and you'll see it again. When people have multiple accounts like they do, one guy can take up the whole ignore list all by himself.

There is also a difference between just cursing someone out which happens daily with the pvp'ers, and going on a long racist rant that would never be tolerated on any level in real life.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Why should the decent people have to change something. That person should be the one who needs to be modified.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The whole world is going to hell in a hand basket, some people's only joy is to make others miserable. :(
Just take them for what they are, sad little children that have nothing better to do then spout their nonsense (I think of them as Howler Monkey's, lotta noise, little content) do not give them power over you , and they will have none.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards

There is no "freedom of speech" in game.. period.. there is TOS and once that is violated (most especially with someone continually spamming highly racist "jokes") that should be stopped, which it was. The guy even logged on another character (*same-character-name*2) and was headed back to Luna a few minutes after apparently getting the first character 'banned" but before he could get to Luna they banned that character.. or banned his IP address (which I hope that was the case) because the things he was doing was indeed that bad...

Now.. consider the source of that comment.. because I am pretty far right when it comes to US Politics... but that does not extend to UO as it is a Monarchy ;)

Taught them a lesson . . .
I think they taught him a lesson when he was running the other character to Luna to repeat what he was doing earlier. He bragged about having creating 10 "trial accounts" to keep doing his crap with. He never made it to Luna though... thankfully.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Preeeeety sure saying racist **** is against the ToS, so...

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Quit your crying.
If you have a problem with some racist troll getting called out, then simply leave the thread and never come back. That way, you don't have to read, write or whine about it. Works even better than ignore.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This thread took a sharp turn into real world political discussion... which is not allowed on stratics.

Thread has been cleaned up with 9 posts removed.

Please refrain from involving real world political topics in Stratics threads.

Also please don't post the "oh if I posted this I would get a warning for it, unfair, what punishment did that person get" type of posts. That does not help the situation at all, it just spins off into more drama.

If a post doesn't disappear right after it's reported, it doesn't mean we are ignoring it... we just haven't seen the report yet or are at work in real life and can't do much about it at the time. (I'm on a phone from work now, but saw this needed cleaning up as soon as possible before it got even worse).

Thank you.

Aeneas

Adventurer
Did they get more relax with the rules? I remembered more than 10 years ago, there are certain words that get people instant banned.

Would it be awesome if there is a "mute" and "Attack-able" "walking only" modes for the offender? GM shows up, turn on this mode on the guy. Then he can't talk and anyone can can kill and loot him anywhere (all his stuffs became uninsured) and he can't get in a house or out of luna. He can't log in any other char in this account.

That's worse than banning.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I didn't see this guy, but I always considered the chat part of the game. I don't see why you're allowed to kill other players but not trash talk them or dirty talk them into frustration. It's an MMO. If you want to be the guy that trash talks, be the guy that trash talks on one character.

Obviously there is a line that many people here have experienced that went way too far out of game. Too far out of game meaning anywhere out of game. I may trash talk or be crass, but in Discord or Vent I'm balls less. It's just fun sometimes.

The UO community is so sensitive to stuff that it became more fun and more engaging to do it in chats. My favorite guild on Atlantic doesn't allow cursing like we have a bunch of pre-adolescent kids playing the game with demons and succubus, but a curse word will alter their behavior.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't see this guy, but I always considered the chat part of the game. I don't see why you're allowed to kill other players but not trash talk them or dirty talk them into frustration. It's an MMO. If you want to be the guy that trash talks, be the guy that trash talks on one character.

Obviously there is a line that many people here have experienced that went way too far out of game. Too far out of game meaning anywhere out of game. I may trash talk or be crass, but in Discord or Vent I'm balls less. It's just fun sometimes.

The UO community is so sensitive to stuff that it became more fun and more engaging to do it in chats. My favorite guild on Atlantic doesn't allow cursing like we have a bunch of pre-adolescent kids playing the game with demons and succubus, but a curse word will alter their behavior.
This incident had nothing to do with trash talking other players or people being "too sensitive". This was outright derogatory, racist comments and jokes that should not be tolerated, let alone encouraged, in any form.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There are literal demons in the game that have physical relations with men until they die.

Someone says something meant to incite you and you get incited and it's a problem though...

Reactions like this are why they happen in the first place.

You can ignore them. I know the list is limited and I know there are ways around it, but it doesn't take long to put someone on ignore and if people didn't feel the need to respond for some god awful reason they would give up in a matter of minutes rather than hours or after Dev's attention.

The real issue is being overly sensitive on an AT LEAST teen rated game and expecting to be a social justice warrior when you see people typing something inflaming when you could just zip it and use the ignore list a few times.

The best way to deal with a troll has been and always will be just keeping your fingers off your own keyboard.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Crude is crude no matter the platform and people should not have to be subject to such things. If the guy had the balls to say things like that in rl he would not have too many teeth left in his head after doing so.. so why should they also not pay a price in game as well?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Crude is crude no matter the platform and people should not have to be subject to such things. If the guy had the balls to say things like that in rl he would not have too many teeth left in his head after doing so.. so why should they also not pay a price in game as well?
You're assuming he would be punished in real life. The likely thing to happen in your scenario would be the physical aggressor being in more trouble. The advise in real life is the same... "Just ignore him."

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
You're assuming he would be punished in real life.
Did you see what was being said? or just speaking in general?

Having seen quite a few things he was saying.. umm yeah.. he wouldda been popped a few times by a few folks.. and the "aggressor" would seldom be convicted if they went with a trial by jury due to the words being used.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Did you see what was being said? or just speaking in general?

Having seen quite a few things he was saying.. umm yeah.. he wouldda been popped a few times by a few folks.. and the "aggressor" would seldom be convicted if they went with a trial by jury due to the words being used.
No, I didn't. But I can't imagine anything being said angering me enough to hit a stranger that I could easily ignore and separate myself from. We don't have to be animals.

EDIT: We all live in different countries... I'm in the US. We may have different values and considerations on what is considered correct. The server is US as well.

What you said is called Lynching and it is very much illegal. If he's not some mental lunatic, which is a possibility of you beating someone that is disabled, then he'd probably get a police report. The police will likely have grabbed someone in the lynching when they get there. Assault usually results in a felony charge.

This is essentially what trolling on the internet is and why it's considered fun. You incite people to do something stupid they will get in trouble for or you incite stupid people that are easily angered into ruining their day thinking about something that is just a spew of stupid you think of on the spot to anger people.

Last edited:

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Quit your crying.
If you have a problem with some racist troll getting called out, then simply leave the thread and never come back. That way, you don't have to read, write or whine about it. Works even better than ignore.
I struggle with this... your words are not making a greater impact either...

This situation... we call it gossip, but we feed off of it as humans... something happens in game and it becomes a 4 page feeding frenzy.

We can all agree... our options....
1. Page
2. Ignore
3. If annoyed- turn off chat
4. If we cannot handle UO without chat for an evening, turn off a game for a bit.
5. Make it a much bigger issue by continuing to talk badly about bad people here... (puts us on their level)
6. Talk so much about it that we get annoyed with each other...

Let the system run its course... someone says things like that, they (UO) will handle it as best as they can and will do so quicker if we all do our part. Some of us have lost faith in the system, so we bite at each other... not helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
EDIT: We all live in different countries... I'm in the US. We may have different values and considerations on what is considered correct. The server is US as well.

What you said is called Lynching and it is very much illegal.
Umm... I am in the US as well.. only in Ga, have had quite a few cases where people got their butts whipped and the one doing the whipping walked ;)

and.. nowhere near lynching... stand your ground applies to quite a few things...

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Umm... I am in the US as well.. only in Ga, have had quite a few cases where people got their butts whipped and the one doing the whipping walked ;)

and.. nowhere near lynching... stand your ground applies to quite a few things...
I'm in Georgia as well and it doesn't apply to words or situations that you can easily leave.

The best thing for trolls is to ignore them and ignore your SJW needs.

Bravado has gotten a lot of people jailed for a long time.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-...the-face-after-you-were-deliberately-provoked

"The way you conduct yourself around such people as in your comment is you stay away from them. Drunk people like this man can be very dangerous. They often don’t feel any pain while the fight is going on.

In the US, you would have no basis to hit someone who was pestering you like that. You would be expected to walk away. If you hit him, the greater pain could well be to your wallet when you get sued for whatever injuries he suffers. And yes, you could be arrested and convicted for battery.

Don’t get in fights with obnoxious people. The only thing that happens, besides trouble, when you get in a fight with a moron, is that you prove there are two morons involved."

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He bragged about having creating 10 "trial accounts" to keep doing his crap with. He never made it to Luna though... thankfully.
I did catch it when the guy said that but... wasn't he spamming in "General Chat"? Free Trial Accounts are supposed to be restricted to "Help Chat", right?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I did catch it when the guy said that but... wasn't he spamming in "General Chat"? Free Trial Accounts are supposed to be restricted to "Help Chat", right?
Good point. According to uo.com that is still the case.. but yeah, he was in General chat.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This thread took a sharp turn into real world political discussion... which is not allowed on stratics.

Thread has been cleaned up with 9 posts removed.

Please refrain from involving real world political topics in Stratics threads.

Also please don't post the "oh if I posted this I would get a warning for it, unfair, what punishment did that person get" type of posts. That does not help the situation at all, it just spins off into more drama.

If a post doesn't disappear right after it's reported, it doesn't mean we are ignoring it... we just haven't seen the report yet or are at work in real life and can't do much about it at the time. (I'm on a phone from work now, but saw this needed cleaning up as soon as possible before it got even worse).

Thank you.
Thank you for cleaning this up Captn.

I doubt I'm not the only one that feels this way. I come here to escape all the hatered, ugliness and bloodshed that the hole world seems to be overwhelmed with right now.

Here we should all keep in mind we are nothing more than an avatar enjoying each other's company and game we all love to play (sometimes grinds are bad) please leave your worldly views out of the game and forums.

That being said I'm a hypocrite. I posted in the tread about Texas.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Word, sorry myself. I just don't want my fellow gamers and people who are obviously so much like myself to get in trouble. But game on and everyone have a great night with UO. It's a shame trolls exist anyways.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did they get more relax with the rules? I remembered more than 10 years ago, there are certain words that get people instant banned.
Not sure but I think both sides are now being investigated to make sure the player spews those nasty words were provokes into saying them. I seriously think the people who provokes others and it is prove in should get the 24 hour banned.
their just as bad, or even worse in my opinion.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yes he should, but the ones who also encouraged his behavior should also pay the price this way others will think twice about provoking others in the game.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Freedom of speech does not allow you to force others to hear your speech witch in UO chat is forcing others to hear it

Freedom of Speech means that someone's right to say something is protected within certain limits. A person may have to suffer consequences (not obeying the TOS) for saying some things, but they still have the right to say them. For example, it is against the law to yell, "FIRE," in a crowded place because someone may get injured.

First Amendment jurisprudence (Ultima Online TOS) provides that time, place, and manner restrictions on speech are constitutional if (1) they are content neutral (i.e., they do not treat speech differently based on content); (2) they are narrowly tailored to serve a governmental interest; and (3) they leave open ample alternative means of ...

EA is not a monarchy by no means, governments on the state level city level and community level all have guild lines on speech that doesn't infringe on anyone's rights. They can say when and we're you can speak and also punish anyone that forces others to have to hear what is being said. Just read the laws and articles about it.

Read this article thank god they lost

Federal appeals court upholds funeral picketing law; Westboro Baptist Church vows to take case to Supreme Court

I feel if EA didn't stop this person, EA could be sued by the player base and rightful so.

We all agreed to TOS

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For those of you who have read the opening TOS and ROC when you first started UO.
Every major upgrade we reuped to the newest version of them and clicked the "I Agree" button.
We agreed to every term of said contract.
Yes it was a user agreement (contract).
They are legal and binding.
You can try to word them differently all you like but they are binding as written.
EA reserves the rights... UO belongs to EA.
Enough said.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Goblins are wingless and they should go back to the Abyss and Underworld where they came from.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm not arguing about the ToS or the ability to toss this jerk off out, but I consider trolling a form of MMO Gameplay. In a game where you can kill and take people's stuff I just think it's funny that words in a chat are where the line is drawn.