• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Keeping track of multiple Accounts.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A friend IRL and in game and I were working on a project this morning on the farm. He asked how I managed to keep track of 22 active accounts and back in the day 60+ accounts, over the years I have probably had 150 different accounts, some only for year and others that I got attached to for one reason or another. Anyway I thought this would make a good Stratic topic for future Massive Multiple Account folks.

First off there are many reasons to have multiple accounts.... The Green Gold Guys and Gals that milk the game for cash being probably the most dominate, particularly in the UO Real estate side of the Green Gold game. Script farmers are right up there, I mean you gotta run 5 boxes on 20 computers to farm them plats every day ;) Some like myself just simply love UO and accounts are like potatoe chips you just can stop with one or ten. Let me also say not all accounts are created equal. Even if you build identical characters on 10 accounts, with identical gear and play them a equal amount of time.... One of the accounts will really stand out in terms of loot, luck, drops and all around fun. One of my accounts that I call the LUCKY Account, gets drops at a rate of about 50:1 of the next best account, but in general gets 99.99% trash in corpse and t chest loot. Another account though gets with a identical character same suit, same skills, and same amount of play time has Never gotten a drop but regularly gets the clean and high end monster and chest loot. Some accounts fly up in skill gains, while others grind a long at a snails pace. The funny thing is it does not seem to matter what shard these things are consistent. I honestly believe some accounts are just more RNG friendly than others :)

Now as far as keeping track of accounts........ Less than 10 accounts is pretty easy and I doubt most folks will have more than 10 active accounts. Just in talking to to folks 5-6 accounts seems to be about average and a whole lot of 2-3 accounts folks. Once you get over 10, have shard shields or buy lots of Mexican transfer tokens things start to get squirrely. I am not into spread sheets and keeping detailed records for a game LOL I do enough of that IRL. So I came up with my own system. I place my houses in the same locations on every shard I play on And made a code system that runs from G and YB (two accounts left from the alphabet code days) and 1 through 105 (With a whole lot of those 105 accounts dormant) Then on each house sighn I put -=98=- for example that lets me look at the list pinned to the wall above my desk and and see that -=98=- goes to account (Not going to put it here ;) ) On most of the shards I play the primary house is the one in the Tsuki Garden (Isamu) The Secondary House is usually the SW Zento point off the square, The Vesper Ants, the Orc Mine preferably Fel, The Wind Maze again Fel if possible, On some shards like Origin I have more accounts than other shards and shoot for a location close to a moongate like just outside the East Zento City Gates. Between the Acct Codes on the house signs and always puttting the houses in the same locations it just does not get confusing.

What does get confusing is knowing what character is on what shard! You can very quickly end up with characters and equipment scattered all over the place I learned that the hard way :) It is best to only have 1 or 2 characters per account transferring and noting which ones are where. Logging into every shard on 20+ accounts looking for one character with one item is a tedious task. Narrowing that down to 10-12 characters that transfer makes it much easier. Noting anything special like the 60 raised beds that took me a month to find in a odd ball transfers pack inside of a bag, inside of a box, inside of a comod box......... I have seen some friends with as many or more accounts than myselfs spread sheets..... That to me is a nightmare and way to complicated. One friend has every house inventoried, every character inventoried, every characters bank box inventoried and spends more time updating the spread sheets than she does actually playing the game lol. At least she will never lose anything :) I guess it is a different outlook when you play for fun and enjoyment and when you play to pay the bills ;)

On a side note some have said I must have so many accounts to engage in RWT and Script farming. I welcome BS to check me out. And challenge to find anything on my machines. I don't even run UOA :) I do run a short electric fence connector bolt with two nuts tightened down on it as a key weight :) And I have been know to have all five computers running, with the key weights on four of them as I sit in the middle playing on one and watching the other four. From what I understand from what Mesanna has said as long as they are attended and I respond if a GM shows up all is good. And let me tell you, GMs do show up and strike up a conversation with you on occasion :) Of course I only do that in a house, training skills that require lots of repetition like mage or hiding. I have thought about using the Easy option program but really don't see it doing more than my key weights do, and since I am firmly against using scripts to farm gold and resources it would be of no real benefit to me.

Why have 22 active accounts? Because I can, and I hate being homeless and trying to live off of a boat or out of a bank box :)

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
Nowadays I keep probably 35 active accounts, most shard shields and I have about 60+ more accs if need as backup, just like @Finley Grant said, Excel and Google Docs.
I created a system that will show the acc name, date that the acc will expire, House that the account Own and shard, all that synced with an alarm and email notification. Also most of them I have the acc info and the toon name and his specialty (Mage, PK and so on). but When I need something specific for that account, I just open the Acc folder, that I keep all the pictures of the toons/skills and soulstones on the acc.

But short answer: Excel and Google Chrome/Docs. (and make sure to keep a Backup on 3 different places and on the Cloud as well :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never had to worry about accts expiring, I keep a checking account just for UO and break the accounts into 2 groups 9-15+ year old accts on 6 months recurring, 8 years on monthly. If I get a wild hair to activate a dormant account I will usually buy a GTC for it. If I get annoyed and close accounts it is usually the less than 8 years that get closed. I guess I do use a spread sheet of sorts in the form of a note book. Inside has a list of each master acct and the PW and each individual acct and their acct PW. A list of characters and the characters of note highlighted.

What I find funny about myself is my castles are dumping grounds for the junk I collect like 50 gazillion 16th anni ponies. One of the best things I ever did in game was drop and give all but two of my castles away...........complete with all the junk in them. The valuable stuff I tend to keep in the Wolf Houses or the Zento SW houses depending on the shard and then transfer it to ATL to sell or to Origin to hoard. Although I have started selling more on local shards and not transferring much of value off shards. Really been quite the opposite the last few years as I transfer more to the less populated shards than away from them.

I really do need to get more into vending. I toss a vendor up in the Atl wolf house now and then and find some amusement in watching people recall in and get slaughtered by the Tsuki wolves (Perm Fixed healers all around the house and a ankh inside) And I have noticed more people training throwing, mage, bard, and archery from the porch the last few months. It was more fun when reapers cast spells but that excitement seems to have gone poof............ Since the Reapers just stand there and make annoying sounds now.

I think the only vendors I have up atm are the solen loot vendors on Pac. Since we don't need vendors to store gold anymore I have not had much use for them. And gone are the days of keeping 5 accts active with 18x18s just to store 1 mil checks and the powerscroll books killed 2 more accounts that kept houses just to hoard power scrolls and later blues and pinks.

The few years way back when I dabbled in real estate is where a lot of the *Trash* accounts were born. Got sick of that game though as half the people wanted to spend dead presidents instead of game gold or trade items for the plots. IDOCs bore me to death, who has 15 hours to camp a plot only to compete with script looters and auto placers. The IDG is total trash but there is no shortage of other trash doing the same things he does. He just has the title of trashiest of the trash atm.

Anyway keeping the houses basically mirrors of each other across the shards, 2-3 primary accounts with transferred in support from developed characters.......... In particular of the crafter/imbuer type to get set up and geared up until the accts on the new shard can walk on their own. Keeping Atl and Origin houses as the hoards and hubs. And basically keeping track of what characters are on what shards, and keeping the accounts on recurring payments that are a fixed amount every month and every six months. Not trying to play the 90 day game. Hehe not pissing the wife off by using the business or household bank accounts for UO.......... LOL if you ever want to see a woman RAGE spend $1500 in the UO store one month from the household bills acct :) I think next month she might actually start speaking to me again LOL.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Tyrath: "Let me also say not all accounts are created equal. Even if you build identical characters on 10 accounts, with identical gear and play them a equal amount of time.... One of the accounts will really stand out in terms of loot, luck, drops and all around fun. One of my accounts that I call the LUCKY Account, gets drops at a rate of about 50:1 of the next best account, but in general gets 99.99% trash in corpse and t chest loot. Another account though gets with a identical character same suit, same skills, and same amount of play time has Never gotten a drop but regularly gets the clean and high end monster and chest loot. Some accounts fly up in skill gains, while others grind a long at a snails pace. The funny thing is it does not seem to matter what shard these things are consistent. I honestly believe some accounts are just more RNG friendly than others." [bold emphasis mine]

This is a kind of sad if it's true.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Tyrath: "Let me also say not all accounts are created equal. Even if you build identical characters on 10 accounts, with identical gear and play them a equal amount of time.... One of the accounts will really stand out in terms of loot, luck, drops and all around fun. One of my accounts that I call the LUCKY Account, gets drops at a rate of about 50:1 of the next best account, but in general gets 99.99% trash in corpse and t chest loot. Another account though gets with a identical character same suit, same skills, and same amount of play time has Never gotten a drop but regularly gets the clean and high end monster and chest loot. Some accounts fly up in skill gains, while others grind a long at a snails pace. The funny thing is it does not seem to matter what shard these things are consistent. I honestly believe some accounts are just more RNG friendly than others." [bold emphasis mine]

This is a kind of sad if it's true.
I've always believed this sort of thing... I believe when you create your account it's given some code of luck value... Lets say it ranges from 1,000 to -1,000... Most my accounts fall in the negative side... one or two might be in the "normal range around 100 or less... but I do know someone who's account has GOT to be somewhere around 1,000... people say it's the RNG but I don't buy that... if it were just the RNG why then is it consistent with him? Why would he continually get top end stuff... be it PS's or Ornaments in Doom... Crimmy on Travisty... and the Taming Mask even? Consistently with him... time and time again... only one I know to get back to back Ornaments off 2 Dark Fathers one right after another... Kinda luck makes you want to puke...

Meanwhile I could do Doom just as consistently get the same damage consistently .... have more luck than him... even out damage him... over and over and over again... and get NOTHING time and time again... Same with Travisty, Lady M.... whatever we'd do... he'd get drop after drop after drop... and I'd come up with zip...

As for keeping track of my multiple accounts as I do have at least a dozen... making charts... that's the way to go... Betting one could set up Cortana or whatever to remind you when they are due .... but yeah... charts. Though I never put the full account information anywhere... this includes password information and all that... Too afraid someone might get it and clean me out. Even if I got married again (which I do not believe I'd ever do)... I wouldn't share that information... too many times I've heard about how an X did this or that.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've always believed this sort of thing... I believe when you create your account it's given some code of luck value... Lets say it ranges from 1,000 to -1,000... Most my accounts fall in the negative side... one or two might be in the "normal range around 100 or less... but I do know someone who's account has GOT to be somewhere around 1,000... people say it's the RNG but I don't buy that... if it were just the RNG why then is it consistent with him? Why would he continually get top end stuff... be it PS's or Ornaments in Doom... Crimmy on Travisty... and the Taming Mask even? Consistently with him... time and time again... only one I know to get back to back Ornaments off 2 Dark Fathers one right after another... Kinda luck makes you want to puke...

Meanwhile I could do Doom just as consistently get the same damage consistently .... have more luck than him... even out damage him... over and over and over again... and get NOTHING time and time again... Same with Travisty, Lady M.... whatever we'd do... he'd get drop after drop after drop... and I'd come up with zip...

As for keeping track of my multiple accounts as I do have at least a dozen... making charts... that's the way to go... Betting one could set up Cortana or whatever to remind you when they are due .... but yeah... charts. Though I never put the full account information anywhere... this includes password information and all that... Too afraid someone might get it and clean me out. Even if I got married again (which I do not believe I'd ever do)... I wouldn't share that information... too many times I've heard about how an X did this or that.

I honestly do believe there is something there. I am playing one of my *Unlucky* accounts on Pacific now and it shows in the loot quality. Not skilled enough to do anything bigger than Miasma or a couple of the abyss renowned but one would think after 500 or so miasmas there would have been more than 6 chest and ZERO Minor ML Arties. Oh I did get a purple parrot though! I notice my old accounts seem to fare much better than my younger accounts overall

I swore I would never get married again and did. My oldest 6 accounts info is all kept in my head and not shared beyond there :) My X in a parting blow dropped every house, and deleted every character on every account on every shard. My level of unhappiness was very high, even after 17 years my level of unhappiness about that is still very high :) The current wife can use any of my accounts but the six originals and after the shard shield incident she is not even friended to those 6 houses and neither are any of the other accts outside of those 6. Of course I am also a big believer in what is mine is mine and what is hers is hers and we both contribute equally to the general life expenses and if one of us dies the other is the heir...... But I will be damned if I will ever be left penniless and living like a hobo again ;) In game or out LOL

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My X in a parting blow dropped every house, and deleted every character on every account on every shard.
Yikes! That is a special kind of anger to be that thorough.... I get tired just claiming the holiday gifts on one of my accounts on every char on every shard.... that must have taken her literally all day.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yikes! That is a special kind of anger to be that thorough.... I get tired just claiming the holiday gifts on one of my accounts on every char on every shard.... that must have taken her literally all day.
Nah that was back in 99/2000 only the six accounts and was only infesting a few shards back then :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can't even imagine @Tyrath... the level of holes for that move is beyond comprehension ... but I've known people that have had that done to... and all of them quit. So hats off to you for that... I would be devastated... I had one incident once where I stupididly Co-owned a friend to my home and they sold their account without telling me and the greatful buyer stripped my house to the bone.... wouldn't have been so painful but they stole the only copy I had of a play written by a dear friend and I wish I could get that back..... it was called "The Legendary Llama" he'd written it himself. I still ache over that loss. The rest of the crap could be replaced but that was priceless.

I think about what I would do if UO closed tomorrow and I can't imagine a time without it. Much as I go nuts with the way things are of late I still can't imagine my life without UO.

As for getting married again... never will happen... I'm old set in my ways. Not sure I'm willing to give up my UO time for a spouse and I hear you about money and stuff...

However being a female my opinion is what's yours is mine, what's mine is mine.... all the bills and stuff belong to you and the rest is mine... ... funny it never worked that way... he had his stuff I had my stuff... and we bought 1 thing a year for the "house"... TV, VCR, Microwave etc.... so when I left I took the Microwave and the Stereo (as music is life) and left the TV and VCR.... really don't care about that... though I did take the Nintindo.... but that was for the boy... more than for me or being mean. Figured he got more enjoyment from it than we did.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so when I left I took the Microwave and the Stereo (as music is life) and left the TV and VCR.... really don't care about that... though I did take the Nintindo.... but that was for the boy... more than for me or being mean. Figured he got more enjoyment from it than we did.
What use was the Nintendo without a TV? Bah!

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A quick youtube search will show you how to set up some Access tables with your excel spreadsheets. Just that much easier. I have my templates and accounts and recipes and seeds and powerscrolls/stat scrolls used all at the push of a button or two.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't even imagine @Tyrath... the level of holes for that move is beyond comprehension ... but I've known people that have had that done to... and all of them quit. So hats off to you for that... I would be devastated... I had one incident once where I stupididly Co-owned a friend to my home and they sold their account without telling me and the greatful buyer stripped my house to the bone.... wouldn't have been so painful but they stole the only copy I had of a play written by a dear friend and I wish I could get that back..... it was called "The Legendary Llama" he'd written it himself. I still ache over that loss. The rest of the crap could be replaced but that was priceless.

I think about what I would do if UO closed tomorrow and I can't imagine a time without it. Much as I go nuts with the way things are of late I still can't imagine my life without UO.

As for getting married again... never will happen... I'm old set in my ways. Not sure I'm willing to give up my UO time for a spouse and I hear you about money and stuff...

However being a female my opinion is what's yours is mine, what's mine is mine.... all the bills and stuff belong to you and the rest is mine... ... funny it never worked that way... he had his stuff I had my stuff... and we bought 1 thing a year for the "house"... TV, VCR, Microwave etc.... so when I left I took the Microwave and the Stereo (as music is life) and left the TV and VCR.... really don't care about that... though I did take the Nintindo.... but that was for the boy... more than for me or being mean. Figured he got more enjoyment from it than we did.
If everything were to be deleted and dropped now I would probably walk away LOL, as it was were were only 3 years give or take into UO and there was just not that much in the terms of stuff. What hurt back then was losing the skills and developed characters...... Particularly my first and only tamer at that time. Hehe skilling up was not the cake walk that it is now days and one did not simply buy a mythic and use a mastery on a horse for a couple of days or just hit the 5.0 SOT vendor and buy 6 of them for instant 120 LOL its was months or even a couple of years of endless tame-release-kill repeat. Taming back in the day was the one skill that when you got GM at was a major accomplishment in game. LOL I will be angry at the loss of that tamer until the day I die....... and to a lesser extent the Tailor and blacksmith.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
now i dont feel so bad.
i only run 4 account but i have around 10 or so more that people have given me over the years when they left.
i consider 3 of those to be my 'primary' accounts - in that i use the characters off those accounts daily.

but unlike mentioned above i run 20 developed characters on each shard - i keep 1 slot open per shard for shard shield use.
(i have my shard shields divided between 2 accounts, one does NA and one does overseas - both also access ATL and Sonoma for bring stuff home)

but when it comes to keeping track i went about it in what sounds like a different route then above.
after starting on Sonoma and deciding one day to branch out i quickly realized that i needed to simplify things because it was getting hard to even remember one other shard.
so what i did was this..... i used the same character template on the same account and then just made it on every shard.
so this way if a friend icq's me and says "hey, dont suppose you can make me some GHeal kegs on *insert shard*"
i know i have to log into account #1 and go to that shard and i know exactly which guy is my alchemist because he has the same name on every shard.
same with disco tamer.
mage.
thief.
wood mule.
metal mule.
imbuer.
ect ect ect.
also using the same desktop for all classes of characters is useful.
so my mages all run the same desktop, dosnt matter if its a battle mage or just a mule with magic, all the same desktop.

so then all i was left having to track was stuff like gold and suits and ethys and special stuff.
so for that i just made a spread sheet.
unfortunately for me i like paper.
so i have a 4" binder with all the printed out sheets divided by shards and accounts.
so if i need to know if my spawner on Arirang has a ethy i can hit that tab in my binder, flip it open and look.
if i need to know if a swordsman on Drachs has eaten a mastery, go to the tab, flip open binder and look.

all except my gold and resource tracking.
those i do on a exel spreadsheet that is on my computer which i update monthly (or so).

OCD is a pancake!
(1, 2, 3, 4)

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
all in my head. People leave, give me their accounts, I have given some back too. If I forget a password on one I don't use often, I just remember my main UO login and change the password to what I "think" it is. :D I eventually remember it.