• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

When did they change cartography requirement?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So decided to brush off my thunter which admittedly has been shelved a very long time. Decoded my maps, stoned cartography added lockpicking. Now I can't read the maps even though it's the same character that decoded them. When did they change that?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I dunno.. I thought it always did a carto check anytime the map is "opened".. but then again I have never stoned my carto off and tried to do maps.

Liam167

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I stone off and on carto and picking daily. Did u just pull em out of Davies locker b4 u tried to decode? Sometimes it takes a few minutes to check

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Haddy G

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So decided to brush off my thunter which admittedly has been shelved a very long time. Decoded my maps, stoned cartography added lockpicking. Now I can't read the maps even though it's the same character that decoded them. When did they change that?
The carto check is likely because the maps are quest maps. Not sure if there is a way around it.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No, they did not change it - I just tested it out 5 minutes ago after reading this scary post - I decoded a L4 map and then stoned carto - I could still open the map but didn't get that message about the map being special because I didn't have the carto skill - but when I dug it up, it was one of the new quest chests with the stone obelisk on top and quest items inside

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had the same thing happen to me I stoned cart and couldn't open the map so I had to put it back on it was a level 3 map
Do you to put them in the locker for this to work or is it the opposite don't use the locker?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I use EC Pinco's and just open the maps and go to the location until my game map matches the t map and dig - maybe CC is working differently?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I use EC Pinco's and just open the maps and go to the location until my game map matches the t map and dig - maybe CC is working differently?
CC's NEVER worked like that. Sometimes the map can look like it's several screens away from the actual position. See the pic I posted in one of the other threads.

Supposedly, the map locations (like some house placement attempts) get messed up if you ever moved your game window in the CC, in the past. Or, at least that's what the devs thought 10 years ago.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
CC's NEVER worked like that. Sometimes the map can look like it's several screens away from the actual position. See the pic I posted in one of the other threads.

Supposedly, the map locations (like some house placement attempts) get messed up if you ever moved your game window in the CC, in the past. Or, at least that's what the devs thought 10 years ago.
Yea, I'm aware of the discrepenncy between the pin location and the chest i CC (EC uses an X). I saw your post and used to thunt with CC until the maps went random. I was referring to the report that maps are not opening for some after stoning carto - I've not seen any change with not being able to open maps after stoning carto using Pinco's EC

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yea, I'm aware of the discrepenncy between the pin location and the chest i CC (EC uses an X). I saw your post and used to thunt with CC until the maps went random. I was referring to the report that maps are not opening for some after stoning carto - I've not seen any change with not being able to open maps after stoning carto using Pinco's EC
I tried again and sure enough if I stone cartography I can no longer open them up. Tells me I am not experienced enough. This is with CC.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So it seems there's a difference here between CC and Pinco's EC. I'll have to try the default EC when I get home to see how that's functioning in this situation
Edit: No change in default EC either - can still stone carto and do the new maps

Last edited: