• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Char transfer to a server that already has char with same name

Vrado

Visitor
Hey folks, did a search on forums but it seems no one has encountered this potential issue before. I'm not entirely sure if servers can house characters with the same names, so I'm wondering if I try to transfer X character with common name from LS (my old old home) to Atl where I'm playing now, what will happen if someone on Atl already has an active char with that name? Will my transfer be blocked? Will my char name be tweaked?

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You will be fine. Character names do not have to be unique in UO, as in other games. Each character is given a separate ID which differentiates characters with the same names. The only issue you may have is macro setups if you have more than one character with the same name on the same account.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Nothing bad will happen, except possibly macros having to be reset.

I think I have about 40 characters all named "Transfer" spread throughout the shards and have never had an issue with it.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lol same here 40 char with same name transfered many times with no problems at all

Nothing bad will happen, except possibly macros having to be reset.

I think I have about 40 characters all named "Transfer" spread throughout the shards and have never had an issue with it.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
When Origin was first opened to transfers I brought Larisa from Napa and left the others behind :( lol

Just a few months ago my friend was whining at me about making a gargoyle tamer but I refused to turn Maharia into a flying monster....it's just not her style! ;)

But my ORIGINAL Maharia was still on Napa......so I transferred her over...so now I have 2 Maharias on the same account and have had no issues other then some macro wonkiness which isn't so bad!

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
your desktop in UO will be the same for both (or all) characters with the same name.
so as long as you run the same desktop for both characters its not a big issue.
but if one is a warrior and one is a mage......

UO assist, if you run it, is a easier fix, you can in uoassist go into the settings on the log in screen and change it to save all character information by unique ID number rather then by name.
bad side to this is that you start from scratch with ALL characters from that point.
but once you get it done you never have to worry about character overlap.
also its good if you ever copy the file over to another computer, makes it a bit easier.

i did it a couple years ago.
was painful to sit down and remake all the macros and save suits and such but once it was done it was smoooooooth sailing.