• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Despise Island Lag!

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know this was brought up awhile back after the combat changes in pvp patch. This problem is still ongoing and needs to be addressed. Whenever you go from off the island to on it the lag is ridiculous. The more spawn or people on the island the worse it gets. I have even crashed a few times due to the massive lag. I believe it has something to do with the uneven tile fix that was part of the combat changes patch. For the love of despise can this be fixed already. @Kyronix @Bleak

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
agreed, the issue is not going away. It's not like, just a bit laggy, you can't move sometimes.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The worst part about this is its a vital pvp spawn. Most people who run despise do it provoke a fight, and with the lag its almost impossible to defend the island. Ive found that this spawn is done very little anymore due to this lag issue. PLS fix this problem and make despise PvP great again!

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I find that i have to pick off the silver serpants and rat archers by drawing them off the island otherwise i freeze up as soon as i get to the center island. Been this way for quite some time.

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Buuuuttttt I like the fights where everything's bouncing from one side of the screen to another and I only manage to cast one paralyze field and maybe drop an Explo on one guy in a five minute fight, and any extra spells are wasted bc whoever you just targeted, by the time UO and ur comp recognizes that you clicked a bar, that dude's off ur screen, and the raging GM is always screaming in vent to target ppl and you're wondering if everyone else is as frozen as you... then ppl start to die and ur movement speeds up a little bit and it's like waking up from dream that you coulda sworn was real, you rub your eyes and you ask in vent, 'is it over, did we win?' And the GM says, 'no, we're all dead, no one listen to any of my calls wahh' and logs in a hissy fit.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe it may have been myself who raised the issue the first time round. I even made an example video. This example is tame. I literally cannot function on the island anymore, to the point where if the island gets taken, i stop trying to take the island back or hold it because I can't do a single thing with all the fields and mobiles on there.

Another place i've noticed this happens, is behind Yew bank, in that small choke. Or on the roof of the Abbey.

Go try it with a few people on screen casting. Exactly the same symptoms.

outcry

Slightly Crazed
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I keep hearing about this lag problem but I do despise on a lot of shards and I have had no issues with lag... Perhaps its something you are running in the background on your computer , just a thought

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
maybe they should hold the meet and greet there, then we'll see..

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I keep hearing about this lag problem but I do despise on a lot of shards and I have had no issues with lag... Perhaps its something you are running in the background on your computer , just a thought
I even encounter the island lag issue when I solo despise on Siege without any other players present. All I run is UOAssist and the UO client.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmm maybe its related to UOAssist. The others that say they don't have the issue most likely run the "other" type assist program. ;)

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
that may be but I noticed the lag also doesn't occur 100% of the time. Sometimes I get hit bad, other times nothing at all. I was also wondering if it might have something to do with the number of traps and chests spawning on the island...

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah it gets worse the more spawn or people that are on the island. If the spawn isn't popped and you run through theres no lag. If you run on during third level spawn its really bad lag until all the monsters are dead, then it clears up.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
do we have a date for this fix? now that this game is getting busy, we have to drag the coon off the island, as you can't walk on the island even the lag is so bad when there's 20+ people in despise.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
this is still not fixed.
Has anyone playing the EC ever experienced this? Or is this only a CC issue?

NinjaSampire

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yes and its seemed like they have changed the AI on rat archers and they actually run away making you chase them lol. I wonder if the lag comes from the East side of the island where if you hold control shift. The art for water is tiles. When I add alot of swamp/lava tiles I get a similiar lag in my keep. Added with the lag from spawn on such a small surface on the island. I think if they relloked the art pirce it may help. Maybe

MrMightySmith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have not noticed any lag on the island in EC but ill pay a bit closer attention to it going forward.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why hasn't this been fixed yet!!!!!!! I already told them exactly what patch caused the problem, so it should be easy to fix!!!!
@Kyronix @Bleak

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The OP did not say,"When I go to Despise Island alone using stealth I get Lag."

Why dont you show us a video of you and 10 others with spawn, running lag free. Before you make accusations.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
just talked to a guildmate who exclusively plays in EC and he said he gets despise island lag as well, sometimes the client freezes up for several seconds and just yesterday the client shut down completely.

So seems like this affects both clients...

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We had a decent sized fight on the island last night, I lagged to hell, and we lost the fight. :(

We probably would have lost anyway, as we didn't have enough pvpers and were helping out new pvmers, but fighting in that lag put me off, so I retired for the night.

Often I'm quite lucky and don't feel it so badly, but then other times like last night, it's unplayable, I couldn't cast anything, and of course dexxers/archers are on auto fire in that scenario.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Has anyone tested whether this issue has actually been resolved on test center?

I kinda fear that all they did was reduce spawn (again) while the actual problem remains untouched. I hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately I can't copy my character from Siege or I would test for myself...

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so I made a char on TC, mae a sampire suit etc etc and finally tested the fix for the despise island lag since noone else seems to have done that.

I noticed some changes with the spawn:

Monsters were much more spread out than usual and they now spawn in areas where they didn't use to spawn, namely all the way in the southern part of the dungeon. This is true for all levels, except for lvl 4 (rat archers and silver serpents). However, the rat archers and silber serpents spawn has also been moved to the south it seems - at least half of them spawn south of the island.

Monsters respawn seemed slowed down, although this might be because the spawn is now more spread out.

During level 4 the slower monster respawn was extremly noticeable. I was standing on the island waiting for respawn while all corpses around me had already decayed. I had to leave the island and hunt down the rest of the spawn to the south of the island to advance the spawn.

When the Piper finally spawned he went down like usual, the only difference I noticed was that when he summoned ratmen it was never more than 3 at a time, usually only 2 (it used to be 2-5 or so, 3-4 on a regular basis).

And now for the most important test: the famous island lag. Unfortunately whatever changes were implemented did not solce the island lag problem. It is still there. It was not as extreme as it can get some times but it was still noticeably there when lvl 4 came.

The island lag before the fix was not consistent, sometimes barely noticeable, sometimes really bad and every once in a while no lag at all. So the feeling that it was not as extreme when testing on TC might have just been within the range of "normal" island lag that we had before the patch.

Please take another look at this problem @Kyronix ;
Turning down the spawn rate did not solve the problem (and will probably earn you harsh criticism from players claiming you "fixed" what didn't need fixing while leaving the actual bug in there :-/ )

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I have no issue on the island with lag. I use the EC. Just did a spawn there the other day and was raided. Worked fine.

UltimaLordAmitlu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hold control shift on the east side of the island . What do you see? Hundreds of water tiles being placed on that make shift shoddy land bridge. Just remove those water tiles and we'll be good. I don't understand how this problem has gone on for so long.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What I find weird is the problem is intermittent. Sometimes I go there and 30 ppl in despise, no problem. Sometimes u run on island with 1 sampire and can't move. Toss a few fields and feel like ur gonna crash.