• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

File Error and outta memory when trying to dual client

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As of lately I have been getting a File Error followed by outta memory warning/error when i try to dual client the Classic client . I am running an Alienware 17 R4 laptop with 16 gigs of memory.

upload_2017-8-4_19-11-52.png
This is the file error.. i think it a windows 10 thing which I thought i had fixed.
Anyone know how to fix this as I am now lost. TY

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
All I can say is that ever since Publish 97 came out my computer has struggled running two clients of UO... in the EC as well... so you are not alone I don't think.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mine stopped doing that so often. Since the server crash it started again. I have to restart PC and close all other apps and then it does fine. I get that same error box and then the out of memory one.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is odd. @Kyronix @Bleak

I cannot log into 1 client using UOassist without getting an out of memory message. I CAN log in 1 client without UOA. This lead me to believe it was a faulty UOA patch until I tried a double client. I then got the same out of memory error.

I don't understand how spare time basement coders can create a free UO with virtually no downtime at all while I'm paying for this version that crashes, lags and now won't even allow me to log in period.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Getting the same and takes forever after I click play to get to the log in. Usually have to reboot once I get the error pop up though or I just keep getting it with 1 or two clients doesnt seem to matter.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seems to be just the CC, i opened 3 instances of the EC while battling insomnia and testing this. i can open 1 CC without issue, but a 2nd won't open at all.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems to be just the CC, i opened 3 instances of the EC while battling insomnia and testing this. i can open 1 CC without issue, but a 2nd won't open at all.
Found if you open the first by running as admin, the second one opens more often than not on my machine

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wonder if this is intentional, or just another Bug. We are always complaining about the haxxors and cheaters, maybe they listened.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At least i am not the only one with insomi. I been playng/working on my CC. I did some research on error 2 code. It seem to be a corrupted file, I uninstalled and reinstalled and it working.. for now.

Tyrath...I wish that was the case for me. I wondering if this is a side effect of the mulitboxers cheat.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is odd. @Kyronix @Bleak

I cannot log into 1 client using UOassist without getting an out of memory message. I CAN log in 1 client without UOA. This lead me to believe it was a faulty UOA patch until I tried a double client. I then got the same out of memory error.

I don't understand how spare time basement coders can create a free UO with virtually no downtime at all while I'm paying for this version that crashes, lags and now won't even allow me to log in period.
Same effect with my Windows 7. Sometimes a reboot helps, sometimes waiting. I assume the File error only happens in Windows 10.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vista machine is still chugging along just fine with 3 instances :danceb:
Gotta build a new Vista Machine, afraid to fire the old one up with the mother board only having a limited number of boot ups left before it is totally fried :(

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im using win10 and so far no issues. I have also not updated since the pet revamp update so......

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Today i got the following both errors while starting CC via UOAssist on Win7.
Just for your info. Most messages can be copied by use CTRL-C, so you need no screenshot utility.
---------------------------
File Error
Failed to open file C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online 2D Client\soundLegacyMUL.uop: Error 3538944.
OK
followed by
Out of memory
There is not enough memory to continue execution. If you do not have virtual memory enabled, this could be the problem. Otherwise, you may be low on disk space, or may need to increase the amount of space allocated for virtual memory.
OK

Now after a reboot, everything works fine.
I got thoose memory messages even with more than 2-3GB free memory, after booting the computer and starting one client.

@Kyronix: whats up with the CC?

Last edited:

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im pretty sure the issues you guys are having are solely involving your own PC's. Try defragging your hard drive and cleaning it up some. I can dual client without any issues, always have. I use UOA as well so its not related to that either. Something on your PC has to be corrupted to cause that error.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh this happens also single client uses.
Defrag a ssd is not an option.
as I wrote, imediately reboot solves the problem (this time).

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im pretty sure the issues you guys are having are solely involving your own PC's. Try defragging your hard drive and cleaning it up some. I can dual client without any issues, always have. I use UOA as well so its not related to that either. Something on your PC has to be corrupted to cause that error.
If the issue was scattered through time you may be on to something. Here we have multiple people with the exact same error code and problem at the same time frame which happened to come right after a major patch to the client and UOA.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Reboot fixes the file error but not the outta memory issue. I believe it's a win10 thing but cannot put my finger on what it is.

I agree with lythos on this.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not that it would help you much, but:

Failed to open file C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online 2D Client\soundLegacyMUL.uop: Error 3538944.
That messages comes straight from the CC, it's not an Windows error per se. Any further thoughts would be anything but a wild guess though.

The screenshot in the OP says "Error: 2", which is just "ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND The system cannot find the file specified.". 3538944 is not an standard windows error code, so I have no clue what this might be.

Maybe the question sounds stupid, but: Does this file exist at all?

Out of memory
There is not enough memory to continue execution. If you do not have virtual memory enabled, this could be the problem. Otherwise, you may be low on disk space, or may need to increase the amount of space allocated for virtual memory.
That is from windows calling for a stop, due to the CC running havoc after the error quoted above.

Last edited:

Elixar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know this is a thread that is a few months old, and I had this problem back then and thought it was fixed, but since the most recent patch I have been having this exact issue. Because it is a multi client thing, Broadsword doesn't seem to want to talk to me about it. I tried the Large Address Aware fix and it kept my patcher from opening the client. Does anyone have a work around?

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am having the same problem when I try to open a 2nd client. Running a 1T SSD and I am about 99.999% sure the problem is not on my end. But yes, a reboot solves the problem. Until the next time it happens of course. :(

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know this is a thread that is a few months old, and I had this problem back then and thought it was fixed, but since the most recent patch I have been having this exact issue. Because it is a multi client thing, Broadsword doesn't seem to want to talk to me about it. I tried the Large Address Aware fix and it kept my patcher from opening the client. Does anyone have a work around?
I pinned a no patch client to the task bar for that problem. Works until it is a mandatory patch and all newer art shows as UNU tiles.

swampjumper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Happens on 1 client(cc) happens to me daily mostly when i go to abyss client crashes report it cant find a music file aggravating tells me i dont have enoygth memory or virtual memory I am running 8 Gigs and have repositioned the amount of virtual memory seems to be a UO problem since about 2 or 3 patches back.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I've noticed if I play in Facebook Gameroom and leave the game I have Facebook Gameroom still running in the lower right corner of my screen. If it's running I can't play UO with the memory problem. If I close FB Gameroom out completely I'm ok.