• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Peerless Keys on Vendors

Should Peerless Keys be Vendorable

• Yes

Votes: 39 79.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why not but do they really sell well with a 7days timer
I've seen players selling them in General chat frequent enough on Atlantic.. I tested to see if they could just be tossed on vendors to find out they were blocked in the same manner as "duped goods".

I've been working on some tutorials to try and prepare for the cluster F **** storm that will be the Never Ending Journey, and farming keys for peerless could be a very lucrative source of income for new/returning players.

Just a few of several.... concerns....

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I see no reason to prevent them from being sold on vendors. Even in the worst case scenario of someone duping tons of them... who cares? They will all go poof in 7 days anyway and all it would do is save people the time of farming the keys themselves. It wouldn't negatively impact anything.

It would also help more casual players access that content without having to waste half of their UO time farming the keys.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Good post and yes they should, I often see people in gen chat trying to buy/sell these. Being vendorable would make this easier for everyone :thumbup:

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I hate the timers. All of them.

I play 20 minutes a day, and maybe a 1 hour session in the week.

Anything with a timer, I don't do. BOD rewards, peerless keys, whatever.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I would rather the devs increase the timers on Peerless keys (10-14 days seems reasonable) before making them vendorable.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gonna pick on Merlin for a second and ask;

If the timers were gone completely off the keys, and we could just go collect several sets and do peerless in our free time, like we do everything else, what negative impact would that have on yuour gameplay?

If they completely did away with the keys, period, and we could just do peerless freely and at will, how would that negatively impact someone's gameplay?

If under any of these circumstances, they were vendorable, how would that have a negative impact on anyone's gameplay?

Not an attack, nor argument, just enlighten me please

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
In general, I don't have a problem with keys. It's like a dungeon that requires keys. It keeps the peerless dungeon from being farmed and adds activity to slow the collection of high-end arties.

If done well, like the roof, nobody seems to mind that they have to perform certain steps in a certain order. (I've never done the roof due to time constraints, but most of the reviews I've read have been positive).

But when the keys are a grind and then they expire, then it's sort of like a piece of UO that will be a miracle if I ever experience.

I stick to t-hunting most of the time. No keys needed, I can solo a L7 and dry-loot the chest in about 20 minutes.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If the timers were gone completely off the keys, and we could just go collect several sets and do peerless in our free time, like we do everything else, what negative impact would that have on yuour gameplay?

If they completely did away with the keys, period, and we could just do peerless freely and at will, how would that negatively impact someone's gameplay?

If under any of these circumstances, they were vendorable, how would that have a negative impact on anyone's gameplay?

Sure! *provides enlightenment* Timers on keys, difficult questing for keys and non vendorable keys all work to keep the drops from these bosses rare. And rare items keep their value in the market and make them desirable.

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No
Reason is to put them on with a timer might be more code disruption then its worth... I mean think about it.
A dev messes with code of vendors... next thing you know vendors eat you out of gold ...and or eat your items ...or worse yet stop working period.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure! *provides enlightenment* Timers on keys, difficult questing for keys and non vendorable keys all work to keep the drops from these bosses rare. And rare items keep their value in the market and make them desirable.
So basically the greed factor.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry - but with so many things that need to be fixed, I say a loud no way. Don't distract the developers from fixing real bugs!

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry - but with so many things that need to be fixed, I say a loud no way. Don't distract the developers from fixing real bugs!
Thank you for giving your reason, which I do agree with. The Developers time is precious over these next few months, especially considering the issues with animal taming.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Sounds like it. It isn't like those give drops everytime anyway...and the push for them is way less than it used to be. Can buy most all of them for a modest cost nowdays, basically on a couple of shards I know I imagine you would have to chisel the cobwebs off the entrances to most of them lol.

It won't change, I have no hope of that, doesnt mean I can't keep harping about it and maybe one day catch someone in a weak moment ;) . But since this is the way it's always been done, I imagine it will be the way it always *is* done.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
id have to say a big no. at least not for worthwhile peerless.

if you can buy it from a vendor, they can easily be bought up. essentially allowing that content to be bot farmed even more than it is now.

you ask what the difference if the keys can just be bot farmed? like everything, time. being able to buy keys would increase time efficiency by about 300%.

i already have little reason to ever do most content because of the ease of bot farming resulting in very low prices. to the point where its not logical to do the content myself. lets not destroy it even more. if this were a perfect world, and use of third party bot programs were enforced, yeah id say allow them on vendors.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

Here are some of the factors affecting my position on this:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The current keying system isn't broken. It's generally been working fine for a number of years. I don't have confidence that this would end up being accomplished in a way that didn't lead to other bugs either on the keys themselves or vendors.

Furthermore, I don't buy into any "this won't affect game play" position. There might be a short term and temporary gain for your casual every-day type players, but it will be the pocketbooks of those running bots who will benefit the most. Scripters and bots who would then have people camped out in keying areas 23/7. It's difficult enough to find people willing to learn how to key anything other than Medusa and Mel, let alone more advanced hunts where getting the keys presents some challenge. Having to compete with bots to key would complicate this even further and does not do the "casual player" any good. Also, if keys were that much more available... the Peerless bosses with limited instances would often all be full of... you guessed it... bots doing drop farming. Regular players wouldn't have an opportunity to get into the limited rooms. This would also crush the economy... it would help buyers, but it would hurt casual sellers. The implication this won't affect game play is completely false.

Keying for Peerless is not hard, nor is completing the encounters. People are simply being lazy by not wanting to go and do it themselves. I am opposed to any more "easy buttons" that merely increase laziness in this game. I could possibly see the timers increased slightly, but even that I am skeptical about.

In my humble opinion, this suggested change would not turn out well in the long term. I hope that enlightens you a little about my thought process here. :)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hardly a greed factor. greed usually results in LOWER individual prices. just look at the large corporations vrs mom and pop stores. when your doing it for the sole purpose of greed or making gold, we'll all see lower prices. (with higher profits for those with those lower prices)

in the end, it hurts games the game when it just doesnt make sense to actually do the content yourself.

this is oneof the inherent problems with UO when abused, that everything is tradeable or can be bought and sold, opening it for abuse. Not as much as a problem in games where you cant trade most loot.

just wait till the "endless journey". youll see groups of 50 plus accounts (all free) farming any content thats has gold value. We already have this, but is paid (not getting into how they are paid) accounts using 5 to 20 characters. and everything will be worthless. who is the greedy one? the player using 50 accounts and selling low? or the player using 1 account and selling for more?

Last edited:

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When things are done to try to hinder bots it only hurts the other players, go after the bots instead of trying to make the game more difficult for them. *Cough* mace and shield glasses, *Cough* Randomized Resources.

Everything in this game from rares to resources, to drops from peerless are farmed with bots, so saying that's a reason to keep them unvendorable is.... Well, Silly.

Get your own thread if you want to complain about bots, and the dev's lack of action towards them, for the hundredth millionth time.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When things are done to try to hinder bots it only hurts the other players, go after the bots instead of trying to make the game more difficult for them. *Cough* mace and shield glasses, *Cough* Randomized Resources.

Everything in this game from rares to resources, to drops from peerless are farmed with bots, so saying that's a reason to keep them unvendorable is.... Well, Silly.

Get your own thread if you want to complain about bots, and the dev's lack of action towards them, for the hundredth millionth time.
Exactly, the quest to make things harder for the bots has accomplished two things, #1 it made it so the living breathing players won't invest in the time sinks. #2 Made those things a Bot only activity. Personally I would say do away the keys period, since people either buy them, just don't do the keyed content, or the few that get their jollies grinding some of them out.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To get a certain reward the developers have set up a puzzle or challenge. Rewards that are harder to get, tend to be more expensive to buy in the market. We all choose what puzzles or challenges we spend our time on.

Last edited: