• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Idea: crowdfunded developer for UO

Phantasmagorian

Sage
Supporter
What if we crowdfund a developer who will fix and improve longstanding problems or poorly working features? Who would be up for that? Looking at all those grindy mobile games, UO is packed with cool features and I am sure with the right marketing and fixes it could thrive again. So what if we would crowdfund a developer whose sole function would be to improve accessibility and bugs?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They can';t be fixed because the code is so old, and spaghetti-ish, and 50 other stories.

So no, just be a waste of money

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I'd shell out extra $$ for high resolution graphics e.g hire a graphics artist to get high res into the game.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Huh?

Last I heard, UO is owned by EA and contracts out development to Broadsword. I'm pretty sure you can't just "crowdfund a developer" for software that already exists and has complicated licensing and ownership.

Phantasmagorian

Sage
Supporter
Huh?

Last I heard, UO is owned by EA and contracts out development to Broadsword. I'm pretty sure you can't just "crowdfund a developer" for software that already exists and has complicated licensing and ownership.
Obviously this would be in cooperation with Broadsword. Right now, I am just interested in gauging community interest in such an idea.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Id throw down a considerable amount of money to find a new staff to work on things. No way in hell id give the current staff more money to screw things up.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you want more try tossing @Pinco some cash. The stuff he's done with EC is great. I'm sure with some cash he would do a lot more!
While I fully support Pinco's efforts, the devs need to fix the EC's underlying problems first instead of just paying them lip service. Pinco can only do so much to cover their apathetic negligence.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
While I fully support Pinco's efforts, the devs need to fix the EC's underlying problems first instead of just paying them lip service. Pinco can only do so much to cover their apathetic negligence.
In order for them to do that they first have to admit that it's a problem and stop putting it off... But saying they are aware of the issue and will look into it is a cop out they know some of the issues with the EC are GAME BREAKING... If people in the CC weren't able to loot a public corpse for over a year you KNOW they would have fixed it by now.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maybe we could crowdfund a couple of part time staff to police the game now and then and enforce the TOS.
They already have a bunch of Advisors who work for free to help improve the game, so they might as well just make the Advisors TOS enforcers too instead of paying someone for it.

They shouldn't have the same powers as a GM of course, but they should be able to do basic things like mute a person spamming insults for hours. They could also observe and document multiboxers, then pass on the information to a GM, who can apply the appropriate punishment for it later on.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What if we crowdfund a developer who will fix and improve longstanding problems or poorly working features? Who would be up for that? Looking at all those grindy mobile games, UO is packed with cool features and I am sure with the right marketing and fixes it could thrive again. So what if we would crowdfund a developer whose sole function would be to improve accessibility and bugs?
No. Crowdfunding for a 20 year old game with a 13 dollar a month subscription... owned by one of the world's largest and wealthiest gaming corporations... is a ludicrous idea.

Not to mention the idea that UO playerbase would be able to crowdfund enough to hire a full time developer (60k minimum) for just one year is highly, highly unlikely.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You would have more chance in raising money via crowdfunding to buy UO from EA.
You would have more chance in raising money via crowdfunding to create your own UO clone, than to buy the IP from EA.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They already have a bunch of Advisors who work for free to help improve the game, so they might as well just make the Advisors TOS enforcers too instead of paying someone for it.

They shouldn't have the same powers as a GM of course, but they should be able to do basic things like mute a person spamming insults for hours. They could also observe and document multiboxers, then pass on the information to a GM, who can apply the appropriate punishment for it later on.
Uhm... This might sound like a great idea, in theory. In practice, however, it would likely lead to massive abuses since Advisors are players. Much like the abuses perpetrated during the Councilor, Seer, Companion, and now the EM program. Players having power over other players tend to go wrong way, way too fast.

Mesanna doesn't even trust the Elder EMs with the power to squelch, telestorm or jail abusive event goers...

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Advisors have powers that are easily abuse-able, so they could profit very easily over the average player.
With as many people that post here about "The Grind" and their dislike of it, they'd be jealous about what some people are doing.

Remove "Direct-to-Pack" drops from permanent content.
Remove the ability to "move" NPCs.
Remove the ability for Advisors to "stealth" or be "Hidden", there's no reason they need those perks.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the advisor program should already be stricken to just new haven. This is just one picture of a ton of them abusing their power. In this picture we see an advisor who shall not be named teleporting himself into an idoc house so he could see what is inside. Later he would tele his own toons in next to items so he could loot before anyone else. If you dont believe this is an advisor, just look at the command prompt.

He also had the audacity to brag about it to friends which is why this picture exist.

To mesannas credit i do believe this particular advisor was removed from the program, however i do not think any actual consequences were bestowed on the players account.

advisor chessy house.JPG

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the advisor program should already be stricken to just new haven. This is just one picture of a ton of them abusing their power. In this picture we see an advisor who shall not be named teleporting himself into an idoc house so he could see what is inside. Later he would tele his own toons in next to items so he could loot before anyone else. If you dont believe this is an advisor, just look at the command prompt.

He also had the audacity to brag about it to friends which is why this picture exist.

To mesannas credit i do believe this particular advisor was removed from the program, however i do not think any actual consequences were bestowed on the players account.

View attachment 69964
Anyone who abuses their power like this, or worse, Clops, deserves to be unceremoniously tossed out on their ass. Houses (and contents), characters and account permanently deleted. Not banned, deleted.

That house is seriously fugly, btw.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think Slayvite is referring to the end of Broadsword's contract... I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong! :p

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Ok I will bring out a point which no one has yet, if we were to crowd fund, where do we start?
As we will all want different things done, so basically after the 1st bit of cash we donate, and we dont see anything we have asked for to be fixed, then they stop paying cash..... It would work for maybe a month or two, until everyone gets their own ideas of what has to be fixed and start making claims they have paid so and so that much and nothing they have asked for is getting worked on....
So basically it would create more feuds and more war between players and the developers, so probably that is one of the strongest arguments also.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crowdfunding wouldn't work for UO in my opinion.
It would have to be a company with set rules and regulations that runs the official servers or we just become another free-shard.
Let's face it, they are probably in a better place than the official UO is right now anyway.

Perhaps we are looking at this all wrong anyway?
Maybe Broadsword is trying to kill UO on purpose so they can go to EA and say
"Look the game just ain't working anymore, how about we just give you 'x' amount to take it off your hands".
Then they can re-focus, re-finance and re-brand to make UO great again?
.....hey, we can hope right?? ;)

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Improve EC, Steam. done.
Steam will never happen now while UO is owned by EA.
EA and Steam had a falling out over ......money.....and now EA won't add anymore games to Steam, infact they are building their own version to be in direct competition.
Must have been a nasty falling out ;)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Honestly I don't think Steam would touch UO with a 10 foot pole anyway, there is so little help for new players and everything is so complicated, all they would get is complaints!

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@Slayvite true I can't even find Fifa on steam store thats bloody crazy. 30 million steam users vs Origen xD'

It's like EA cosplaying Yahoo and going against Google, how are they even allowed to exist! apparently they have a "player's first" motto started in 2013 -.-

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Honestly I don't think Steam would touch UO with a 10 foot pole anyway, there is so little help for new players and everything is so complicated, all they would get is complaints!
It was greenlit... so... the only thing holding it up from there has been EA.

Ok I will bring out a point which no one has yet, if we were to crowd fund, where do we start?
As we will all want different things done, so basically after the 1st bit of cash we donate, and we dont see anything we have asked for to be fixed, then they stop paying cash..... It would work for maybe a month or two, until everyone gets their own ideas of what has to be fixed and start making claims they have paid so and so that much and nothing they have asked for is getting worked on....
So basically it would create more feuds and more war between players and the developers, so probably that is one of the strongest arguments also.
I have to agree with you there... everyone has opinions on what ought to be done and what is a priority...

I'd pay money to get a true 3D UO... I was dreaming that we could get in with the program that Landmark was using to build it's world... marry that together with UO build a world that is truly amazing, where you actually dig up stuff when mining and leave a hole (which later "heals" itself), where you actually chop down trees (and they respawn later randomly in the world)... Where you place your house and can build above, below and on the ground... That was awe inspiring... But if one could marry that with UO... and make it work that would be amazing...

But I'd settle for just having clean clear graphics that when you zoom in don't look like poop... and I'd like to have feathers on the poor Hiryu...

I did offer to clean up the land... I'd do it out of my own spare time... I offered to build my own bridge to the Yew Far Farm... I've offered to fix the lands in the EC so it doesn't have squares of water and such all over..... looking rather like someone took a square punch to it... but yeah...

Though those issues are all moot when it comes to the game-breaking issues of Crashing with the NovaBlast and such, inability of anyone in the EC to loot a public boss corpse... etc...

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm sorry to be that guy again, but I'd rather suggest to take a step back, give it a break, whatever you call it. There is thousands of other games out there. They come and go and are very enjoyable. Some for only a week, some for a month or two and some for a couple of years. I don't see any reason why I should shell out lots of money to try to rescue one game that was poorly managed by its very own team.

Also I doubt it's about them having too little time. It's all about priorities. You can dye masks with your name on it and watch people kissing your ass, or you can try to work out fixes for account management, marketing or whatever business area you think of. Unfortunately, talking to those peers will be tough work and they won't kiss your ass because your name is on holiday items.

We don't need another developer. With current priorities he will just end up cleaning bugs from publishes like Bleak and Kyronix do at the moment.

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
We don't know the terms of the Broadsword contract with EA or the stipulations under which they are operating.

However, the fate of UO rests in the hands of EA, which isn't likely to sell the IP or take a chance with a crowdfunded startup developer on an established property that is in decline, well past its sell by date, and rife with two decades of accumulated problems, shortcomings, and limitations.

I understand and share the wish for UO to improve and thrive, but unfortunately I don't see any way for the playerbase to make it happen, and definitely not by crowdfunding a developer. UO has a developer- Broadsword. I think that realistically the only thing we as players can do is ask Broadsword what, if anything, we can do to help them.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is hard to attract new people to a game that is 20 years old and as graphically impaired as UO is. Don't get me wrong I play CC and will until the day that UO folds (God forbid). Not just the graphics, UO can be very difficult for new players as well. I tried to get friends and family to play but they don't like the mechanics involved and say it is too complicated. As much as I love UO as is, I often wonder how sustainable UO is the way the current system is ran. Everyday on stratics and in-game there are people complaining and most have some very legitimate concerns. I know as a new player I would be extremely disheartened to be trying a game and seeing people venting their frustrations in gen chat. I say update the graphics but keep most of the mechanics in place as far as the open ended system where you aren't forced into a class, but make the interface a little more user friendly to attract new players. Those are the biggest complaints i hear from friends and family who try the game only to go back to playing WOW within a week.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It is hard to attract new people to a game that is 20 years old and as graphically impaired as UO is. Don't get me wrong I play CC and will until the day that UO folds (God forbid). Not just the graphics, UO can be very difficult for new players as well. I tried to get friends and family to play but they don't like the mechanics involved and say it is too complicated. As much as I love UO as is, I often wonder how sustainable UO is the way the current system is ran. Everyday on stratics and in-game there are people complaining and most have some very legitimate concerns. I know as a new player I would be extremely disheartened to be trying a game and seeing people venting their frustrations in gen chat. I say update the graphics but keep most of the mechanics in place as far as the open ended system where you aren't forced into a class, but make the interface a little more user friendly to attract new players. Those are the biggest complaints i hear from friends and family who try the game only to go back to playing WOW within a week.
Graphics have nothing to do with attracting new players. The view and graphics in this game get it done. A lot of people like retro. People still play Diablo 2 and like it more than Diablo 3. The big thing keeping new people away are A) Vets B) Bugs C) Account management system D) Initial upfront price to get all current content. E) ADVERTISING F) Economy once players do start. G) Bad advertisment for buying houses/content with real money. H) Players with entirely too much real life time/money invested in the game.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Graphics have nothing to do with attracting new players. The view and graphics in this game get it done. A lot of people like retro. People still play Diablo 2 and like it more than Diablo 3. The big thing keeping new people away are A) Vets B) Bugs C) Account management system D) Initial upfront price to get all current content. E) ADVERTISING F) Economy once players do start. G) Bad advertisment for buying houses/content with real money. H) Players with entirely too much real life time/money invested in the game.
I am only speaking from the personal experience of trying to get many people started in this game. Like I said I like UO as is but everybody I introduce to the game do not like the graphics. I agree with almost everything else you have said but graphics do seem to matter to a lot of people. Graphics are not the only problem though, that is for certain.

Last edited:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think some people can put up with old graphics if the game-play is good! Heck I still trot out my old Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale occasionally, but there are so many other problems on top of getting used to the old graphics for new players.
Returning players are more likely to be forgiving of the game's age, younger people who have only been used to games with a totally different perspective and 3D characters might find things too different.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think some people can put up with old graphics if the game-play is good! Heck I still trot out my old Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale occasionally, but there are so many other problems on top of getting used to the old graphics for new players.
Returning players are more likely to be forgiving of the game's age, younger people who have only been used to games with a totally different perspective and 3D characters might find things too different.
I agree to a large point. I still love Fallout 2 even though the graphics are far from modern. Graphics are far from UO's only problem just one of a few I heard mentioned when trying to get people in the game. Making the game more user friendly so new players don't have such a learning curve is a step in the right direction.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Might as well make your own game and own it. Crowd fund, hire some Korean MMO devs, those guys can turn out a game in a week or just make your own shard.

Phantasmagorian

Sage
Supporter
Accessibility and usability would be top priorities for this developer. They aren't reasons not to get one.. they are precisely reasons to get one. Someone who focuses on all these bottlenecks and problems.. exclusively.

Phantasmagorian

Sage
Supporter
And regarding "other games" - I've tried every MMORPG under the sun. ArcheAge is the only sandbox that comes close to UO... naval battles, non-instanced housing. Love it for a while. But in the end, weirdly enough, nothing comes to close to UO in terms of features. And people play games with mediocre graphics all the time. I think UO could get 100Ks of subscribers again if the account management and intro tutorial were smooth as butter.

And I personally hate the EC... my main gripe, besides some monsters look awkwardly off and different, is that the walking/running is not properly done. It feels like I am playing a beta of a game where they didn't bother to synch the the animation. It doesn't feel grounded. Whereas running in CC feels glorious.

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@Ryz Archeage was the dog bollox until thunderstruck p2w + multiple houses was a mistake along with Witchcraft being overpowered skill tree you needed on your template if you were serious about pvp.

EC is normal for me as I started UO with it and I can't say I feel the same way as you do about movement. EC looks clean on a decent desktop computer (nothing top end, most i've done is play Black Desert on medium settings at 60fps) and furthermore EC has to be the client if there is a future for actually promoting UO as CC plays below 30fps. I can't actually believe the amount of hate on EC client by CC mains, I find it quite harsh that you pick at the smallest of changes and blow them up to such a proportion, I too am annoyed the at bake kitsune looks and Hiryu looks better in CC but that doesn't stop me from playing a far better looking client that you can integrate with Pinco's for a much better experience!

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And regarding "other games" - I've tried every MMORPG under the sun. ArcheAge is the only sandbox that comes close to UO... naval battles, non-instanced housing. Love it for a while. But in the end, weirdly enough, nothing comes to close to UO in terms of features. And people play games with mediocre graphics all the time. I think UO could get 100Ks of subscribers again if the account management and intro tutorial were smooth as butter.

And I personally hate the EC... my main gripe, besides some monsters look awkwardly off and different, is that the walking/running is not properly done. It feels like I am playing a beta of a game where they didn't bother to synch the the animation. It doesn't feel grounded. Whereas running in CC feels glorious.
I have tried many other mmo's and agree that UO is the best. I hope you are right about more subs but like I said I was just listening to the feedback from those I introduced to the game who didn't like the graphics. I also play the CC as well but have never had an issue with account management.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

your idea is basically a free shard, which we're not allowed to discuss on stratics. im sure if you look around on the internet you can find your idea and make it happen.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The reason they went back to WoW is because most games now hold your hand in an endless series of quests to reach "end game" but what they don't understand is once "endgame" is reached that's it... boredom city from then on... until the new publish raising the cap another 20 or whatever... but even that gets to be rinse and repeat... the difference between games like that and UO is HUGE.... there is no "endgame" .... for UO... it is what you make it. However there is a point like now where without more people it's hard to find people to do things with this includes RP, PvP, PvM and such.... when you do nothing but hang with the same 4 or 5 people you've played with for the last 15+ years you get frustrated... idea's all sound the same... and well it becomes boring... you know what they are going to do... be it in PvP, PvM or RP... which is where we are right now...

Without new blood to bring in and have fresh idea's the game has grown stale. Even with Development and EM Events...

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The reason they went back to WoW is because most games now hold your hand in an endless series of quests to reach "end game" but what they don't understand is once "endgame" is reached that's it... boredom city from then on... until the new publish raising the cap another 20 or whatever... but even that gets to be rinse and repeat... the difference between games like that and UO is HUGE.... there is no "endgame" .... for UO... it is what you make it. However there is a point like now where without more people it's hard to find people to do things with this includes RP, PvP, PvM and such.... when you do nothing but hang with the same 4 or 5 people you've played with for the last 15+ years you get frustrated... idea's all sound the same... and well it becomes boring... you know what they are going to do... be it in PvP, PvM or RP... which is where we are right now...

Without new blood to bring in and have fresh idea's the game has grown stale. Even with Development and EM Events...
I do agree with a lot of what you said and have played WOW myself and do not appreciate that aspect of the game. To make a character fight to be able to achieve higher crafting levels is crap to me as well. The freedom in Uo to do what you want, when you want is one of its bigger drawing powers. I wish i could convince more people that this is a better way. However my point was how it is difficult to get people to stay playing UO. The interface takes some getting used to for sure and is not geared for newer players to make an easy transition. The graphic were also mentioned by some I know but I think with easier interface they can overlook the graphics and enjoy the game more. It is also harder to get what you need in UO than in other games, at least to complete the worthwhile stuff.

Phantasmagorian

Sage
Supporter
@Ryz Archeage was the dog bollox until thunderstruck p2w + multiple houses was a mistake along with Witchcraft being overpowered skill tree you needed on your template if you were serious about pvp.

EC is normal for me as I started UO with it and I can't say I feel the same way as you do about movement. EC looks clean on a decent desktop computer (nothing top end, most i've done is play Black Desert on medium settings at 60fps) and furthermore EC has to be the client if there is a future for actually promoting UO as CC plays below 30fps. I can't actually believe the amount of hate on EC client by CC mains, I find it quite harsh that you pick at the smallest of changes and blow them up to such a proportion, I too am annoyed the at bake kitsune looks and Hiryu looks better in CC but that doesn't stop me from playing a far better looking client that you can integrate with Pinco's for a much better experience!
It's not the smallest changes. The basic movement feels totally off. I can't stand it. The gait animation and movement speed are all off.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I usually like your posts but this idea would just be a waste of time and technically become a free shard, everything we own in game belongs to EA including the developers that work for them. Agreed some stuff could be better but there's also a reason why this game has survived 20 years, I truly believe that everyone would have left already if it was as broken as some make it seem...

Bad Idea.png

hardy-

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I usually like your posts but this idea would just be a waste of time and technically become a free shard, everything we own in game belongs to EA including the developers that work for them. Agreed some stuff could be better but there's also a reason why this game has survived 20 years, I truly believe that everyone would have left already if it was as broken as some make it seem...

View attachment 70011
Some free shard are onlne 15+ years, so the idea of "survived 20 years" isn't all that goal.

Some of this free shard, have their own map, own mobiles, a lot of content in high res, without the big EA support and developers, only with players donations. So its a little overrated the "20 years with improvements"

Tibia for example was first released in jan 1997, so its a 20 years game of a small company (cipsoft if compared to ea) they still launching new features, redoing graphics, launching servers in new countries, and they work with a system of f2p+p2p , and allow players trade gold for game-time on a official way.

They have worst graphics then uo.

but they have a cool referral system, a cool 3rd party makers system, a cool investment and partnership to streamers, and is always up on social medias.

type
tibia in google = About 25,700,000 results (0.42 seconds)
ultima online in google = About 18,700,000 results (0.56 seconds)

remember if you tag ultima online, it will search for ultima and online, so will show a lot of unrelated topics, if you type "ultima online" you will get only About 438,000 results (0.50 seconds)

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The reason they went back to WoW is because most games now hold your hand in an endless series of quests to reach "end game" ...
I would rather handle those cases on a one-by-one basis.

I've seen plenty of vets trying to introduce new players only to ruin everything for them. They start telling them first thing to get is a 70s suit with this and that mods, then handing it out, while the new player does not even understand it. They try to take them into endgame content on day 1, not letting them time to explore and just straight spoil the game. They are biased on client usage, tell them to stick with the CC while a totally new player will likely enjoy EC more. And so on..

It's like in school, while one teacher is just horrible at teaching you the beauty of mathematics, another might have a better approach taking you onto the journey. Nothing against Marquis, but I have my doubts it was only the game's but not the teacher's fault they didn't like it. I guess he even suggested them to use the CC for their first impressions ..