• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Never leaving again.

Zero

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello all,

I've just returned to the game for about the 5th time in 15 years. And i'm never leaving again! I'm not even going to explain why, because if you're reading this, you're reading the boards of a 20 year old game... You love it! And I love it too. Lesson learned: I can't go without it.

Now that I'm here to stay - because UO is always in my head and my heart somewhere - I'm going to practise more learnt lessons. One of which is not to read the boards more than I absolutely need to. This is not an insult to people frequenting here, it's just that the UO boards were the first 'boards' I ever read back in the days, and not knowing what to expect they almost ruined the game for me. I didn't know there was so much wrong with the game until i started reading about it. So, I'm gonna play it more, and read about people talking about it less this time.

GOD, I've missed playing. There's is nothing out there like this. I'm having the best time with everything the devs added. For me the game got better and better.

Now what's this 'roof' I hear so much about...

*goes off exploring*

Last edited:

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Zero Wow. Youre pumped. Whilst Im glad that youre having fun it worries me when people take it this seriously. Remember to keep it all in perspective. Its just a game. And when you say that you "cant go without it", keep in mind that one day in the not too distant future you WILL have to go without it. Be prepared for that. It wont last forever.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Welcome back and all, but 5 times in 15 years? Uhm, that doesn't really make "I'm never leaving again!" very believable.

Hopefully you'll at least get a 5th departure and a 6th return before the zombie hamster corpses are finally shot in the head.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Nice to see such a positive post, even if it does sound like you have an addiction there! :p
I have gone and come back a few times and every time I log in when I return and I hear the music, it just feels like I am home.
No other game makes me feel that way.
Welcome back! :D

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hello all,

I've just returned to the game for about the 5th time in 15 years. And i'm never leaving again! I'm not even going to explain why, because if you're reading this, you're reading the boards of a 20 year old game... You love it! And I love it too. Lesson learned: I can't go without it.

Now that I'm here to stay - because UO is always in my head and my heart somewhere - I'm going to practise more learnt lessons. One of which is not to read the boards more than I absolutely need to. This is not an insult to people frequenting here, it's just that the UO boards were the first 'boards' I ever read back in the days, and not knowing what to expect they almost ruined the game for me. I didn't know there was so much wrong with the game until i started reading about it. So, I'm gonna play it more, and read about people talking about it less this time.

GOD, I've missed playing. There's is nothing out there like this. I'm having the best time with everything the devs added. For me the game got better and better.

Now what's this 'roof' I hear so much about...

*goes off exploring*
You beat me, I quit 3 times, now back for good too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've said that every time i've left and returned......but the game holds my attention for less and less amounts of time each time i return.
Oh, and you'd be amazed at how the Dev's screwing with your playstyle will make it easier and easier to quit. ;)

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I've said that every time i've left and returned......but the game holds my attention for less and less amounts of time each time i return.
Oh, and you'd be amazed at how the Dev's screwing with your playstyle will make it easier and easier to quit. ;)
They just did that to my parry Mage and I added one more account. Maybe this is called die-hard... if something like this gets nerfed means end of UO world to me then I suck... lol

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have left more than 5 times only to return. Each time I swear that i am done only to come back. I have had no less than 3 houses decay and lost a whole bunch of stuff but always jump in and rebuild quickly. I still hope to see some serious changes in the way things are done. Things should be made to be a little less time consuming in my humble opinion. I will always love UO but hope they change some things and the game can survive a long time.

Last edited:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Leaving and returning is fun because there's something about this game that building from scratch is more fun than playing at higher levels, in my experience, Whatever mechanics make the game so engaging below GM should be noticed and strengthened ( clear goals, rapid advancement with work, not too hard to upgrade gear, no need for elite stuff, no worries about competing with anybody else - the list goes on). That's why so many of us start new characters on new shards to do it again

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I'm with you, Yadd. I find most of my time is spent preparing to do something - training, collecting, searching for resources, upgrading gear - than actually doing something. I supposed that's why I have dozens of barbed runic kits and never crafted a thing with them, or why every time I finally get a skill up to 100 or 120 I get this urge to stone it off and put something else on.

I haven't actually left once - I'm coming up on 18 years now, and two of my houses have been standing in the same spot for 14 of those. Although after I got married and did some work traveling, I think I missed 6 years more or less where I didn't do much except log in to collect seasonal gifts, and I even missed those some years. UO and Civilization IV seem to be all I need to keep my recreational needs met.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Leaving and returning is fun because there's something about this game that building from scratch is more fun than playing at higher levels, in my experience, Whatever mechanics make the game so engaging below GM should be noticed and strengthened ( clear goals, rapid advancement with work, not too hard to upgrade gear, no need for elite stuff, no worries about competing with anybody else - the list goes on). That's why so many of us start new characters on new shards to do it again
Soooo what your saying is that we are all maschosists? (Spell check is off so hopefull i spelled that right)

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't know there was so much wrong with the game until i started reading about it. So, I'm gonna play it more, and read about people talking about it less this time.

*goes off exploring*
In the dozen plus years I've played UO I've maybe ran into two actual things I consider bugs. I think most of the complaining about bugs is just people not liking how the Devs chose to make things work, making things involve real effort instead of being super easy with mega rewards for very little effort.

At times, if you read these boards, a player would have to be awed this game has lasted 20 years with so little of it actually working. Certainly has to turn off new players checking out this game.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the dozen plus years I've played UO I've maybe ran into two actual things I consider bugs. I think most of the complaining about bugs is just people not liking how the Devs chose to make things work, making things involve real effort instead of being super easy with mega rewards for very little effort.

At times, if you read these boards, a player would have to be awed this game has lasted 20 years with so little of it actually working. Certainly has to turn off new players checking out this game.
I still love the game but things do not need to be quite as time consuming, or too much risk too little reward. When you solo an abyss champ 10 times and not get even a mediocre drop then something is very wrong. Same goes with spending time to key a peerless and nothing of real value drops. There are lot of people that play the game that have jobs and families. When we do play we would like to see some kind of reward for the effort. I don't see that as being unreasonable.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still love the game but things do not need to be quite as time consuming, or too much risk too little reward. When you solo an abyss champ 10 times and not get even a mediocre drop then something is very wrong.
Perhaps the game picks up that you do these champs solo with little trouble and gives you little rewards? How do you do reward wise when doing champs in a group with a less powerful character where it's more challenging?

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps the game picks up that you do these champs solo with little trouble and gives you little rewards? How do you do reward wise when doing champs in a group with a less powerful character where it's more challenging?
Its hard to find a group on the shard i play on. I do occasional fel champ spawns with other players but get better rewards solo. The champs take a while to solo so they are not really easy, I just know the tactics to use to stay alive and finish the job. It is a valid question, I understand what you are saying and I never thought of it this way, perhaps there may be something to your point. The big reason for stronger characters is because it is necessary to get things done on dead shards.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I still love the game but things do not need to be quite as time consuming, or too much risk too little reward. When you solo an abyss champ 10 times and not get even a mediocre drop then something is very wrong. Same goes with spending time to key a peerless and nothing of real value drops. There are lot of people that play the game that have jobs and families. When we do play we would like to see some kind of reward for the effort. I don't see that as being unreasonable.
That's part of what I was talking about earlier about playing low-level characters - they don't solo abyss champs or spend time getting keys - something changes for the worse at the higher levels

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Totally agree, even if there is no arties or special drops, give us better loots such as legendary or Major Arties... it's even harder to get good pieces with the right specs in these than generic arties...

Zero

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Zero Wow. Youre pumped. Whilst Im glad that youre having fun it worries me when people take it this seriously. Remember to keep it all in perspective. Its just a game. And when you say that you "cant go without it", keep in mind that one day in the not too distant future you WILL have to go without it. Be prepared for that. It wont last forever.
That's what I was afraid of 15 years ago. But it never happened. This is living history and contemporary goodness. And we can keep it alive by playing it. That's one of the reasons I'll never cancel my subscription again. I want to contribute to keeping this experience available. If it could be done for 20 years, it can be done for 40.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's what I was afraid of 15 years ago. But it never happened. This is living history and contemporary goodness. And we can keep it alive by playing it. That's one of the reasons I'll never cancel my subscription again. I want to contribute to keeping this experience available. If it could be done for 20 years, it can be done for 40.
Naively optimistic in the extreme.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have never quit but due to RL do have to take extended breaks of 4-5 months per year. Always something changed for better or worse when I return.

Thorak

Visitor
The only change I have noticed since I returned that I really don't care for is this stupid gen chat. I could care less about these keyboard warriors and their stupid pixel battles. I dont care who won, who is better that particular moment. And it doesn't seem to matter what channel I am in they are like fleas and just follow. Other that that the game has been a blast. And yes starting from scratch has been just too much fun.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only change I have noticed since I returned that I really don't care for is this stupid gen chat. I could care less about these keyboard warriors and their stupid pixel battles. I dont care who won, who is better that particular moment. And it doesn't seem to matter what channel I am in they are like fleas and just follow. Other that that the game has been a blast. And yes starting from scratch has been just too much fun.
This is why I now avoid Atlantic. It gets really annoying with the bragging from the winner and excuses from the loser.

Zero

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back and all, but 5 times in 15 years? Uhm, that doesn't really make "I'm never leaving again!" very believable.

Hopefully you'll at least get a 5th departure and a 6th return before the zombie hamster corpses are finally shot in the head.
Well, I've never rage quit, or stopped because they nerfed something, or announced my leaving on the boards. I've always stopped paying for the game when i noticed I was playing it less and less. The new thing now is that I've fully realized how much I love UO. I'm never gonna tear my house down again, and stuff everything in the bank and in beetles. My home will stay my home from now on. I've also played so many other games that cost so much more. Like Friday Night Magic (irl). Or paying full price (60 euros) for a new release that didn't keep me occupied for 5 months like UO would have for that price.

Quitting because I don't want to waste money doesn't make me unreliable. Having returned so many times just proves to me that UO is the one game that should be an integral part of my life. I've played 100's of games; I'm 42 and always been a gamer. I enjoy Dark Souls, NES games, Spelunky, grand strategy, tactics, rpgs. But UO is number one.

Zero

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice to see such a positive post, even if it does sound like you have an addiction there! :p
I have gone and come back a few times and every time I log in when I return and I hear the music, it just feels like I am home.
No other game makes me feel that way.
Welcome back! :D
I've started playing around 15 years ago. Not exactly sure when. And my characters are 77 months old. So I'm pretty sure I'm not addicted. Being convinced and happy and vocal, is not the same as being addicted.

Zero

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Naively optimistic in the extreme.
I'm not saying it will be done. I'm saying it can bedone. And I'm part of it. I'm just thankful it isn't over already. Many kudos to everyone who kept his account up.

In my life i've never been called naively optimistic. People I think are naive describe me as a pessimist. People I personally vallue as intelligent call me a realist.

Last edited:

Zero

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I block everyone who insults or talks down people in general chat, instantly. It's like pulling weeds from your garden. Very satisfying.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I block everyone who insults or talks down people in general chat, instantly. It's like pulling weeds from your garden. Very satisfying.
The only problem I've found with this strategy is that the ignore list has a limit of how many people you can add to it. There is one guy on Atlantic who uses so many different characters to do it that he takes up the entire ignore list by himself.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*displays a banner* Welcome Home!
I've struggled repeatedly with the desire to leave. When I don't play for a while, I start dreaming of UO. What I do try to do is maintain a presence for current and previous guildmates to have a steady home. There is nothing like logging in, finding you are still in the same guild after 10 years and see a familiar face. :) It tickles me so when they leave a message on our guild forum letting me know they are still alive. (I have it set as my homepage so it gets checked daily) It is the little things that I hope will hold someone from leaving or exhilarate them upon logging in.

I hope everyone finds things to hold them tightly to this world.

Digowiz

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome my friend. Uo is always with me too...

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Ellie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The Roof is the Shadowguard encounter in Eodon. There are 5 rooms to do first then the roof. Some of the smaller rooms can be done by your self or depending how good you are all of them. The roof is a bit tougher that's good to do with a group. There are 3 or 4 main monsters to kill and when that is done a ton of gold is dropped on the floor, We have done it and I have managed to pick up over 200k and there is always more on the ground. Be sure to take a bag of sending with you, you will need it. Also with the roof there are drops that fall into your pack. Oh yes the more people in the rooms, the smaller one the more spawn. They are a lot of fun.. Shadowguard - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia