• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My Not-so-triumphant Return To Ultima Online

Cain

Retired UO Reporter
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lord Armand submitted a new Article:

My Not-so-triumphant Return To Ultima Online

I have returned to Britannia from an extended break only to remember how tedious and time consuming everything can be. Ultima Online is known for repetitive clicks to do everything from training skills to crafting. Many times, the constant clicking seems more like work than like playing. More times than not, the time and effort put in is not worth the gold/loot received.
Fishing…

One of the first things that I did upon returning is launch a boat and go fishing. I immediately headed towards deep water so I could try and fish up a (MIB) Message in a Bottle. Fishing is simple but a perfect example of a tedious task. You double click the fishing pole then click the...
Read more about this article here...

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've not tried my hand at capturing pirates, but I do really enjoy attacking the ships and gathering the resources. I find I can be quite thrifty with one cannon on the front with my archer at the helm. A dance at sea if you will. I am not really good at values, but I would look at the overall value of the acquired resources vs the materials gathers and time spent crafting cannons and supplies. 100 valorite ingots is very time consuming to obtain. The salt peter can be tough to gather, but I understand if you don't have much time to play, it can be time vs gold for being prepared. Fishing, I've always saved up a bunch of MIBs and done them all at once. I also try to fish the farthest away. For some reason in my head I feel like I get more "junk" instead of 0.0'ing.

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The devs have said that they are going to work on making cannon supplies less tedious. No time frame for this but they are aware of that issue.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As for fishing....

Very simple macro, with 1001 uses...

Classic Client UO macro system (the one in game - no UOAssist needed)

Last Object
Last Target

Assign it to a key you don't hit often

at each fishing spot, cast once, normally.
Use the macro from then until the spot runs out (or the chest comes up, if fishing an SOS), waiting until the fish comes out before hitting it again.

UOAssist or EC is even easier, as you can chain a bunch of casts and "target relative" locations, with 8 second pauses between target relative and the next cast, to do strings of casts with one button press.

I thought this exact same way when I first tried the high seas booster about 2 months ago, however, I came to realize a few things...

If you fish in deep water where there hasn't been any fishermen for the past few days the chances of finding serpents go way up so if your not having any luck it would be wise to try another location. Some strips of water yield a sea serpent every 2-5 casts of the pole.

I just finished a long fishing expedition on Atlantic so I speak from experience here. The chances of getting an ancient sos from message in a bottle go up when there haven't been any fishermen around in the area. The best luck you can hope for is 2-4 ancient sos per day and that's only if you fish constantly all day. On a good day you will get 1-2 max along with around 50 message in a bottle. The best thing to do with your ancient sos and water stained sos is store them in bags on the ground in your house. If you happen to get an ancient sos while out at sea just insure it and keep on fishing.

The best use to water stained sos is to just throw the entire chest right into the trash can in a city (instant delete). Bring a beetle while fishing up chests and you can carry maybe 5-8 with you to the bank then you take out the gold and any t-maps and then toss the rest in the trash for the clean up Britannia points. After you stock up sos and start doing sos all day instead of fishing (cleaning up sos bags) you will make about 100-200k clean up Britannia points per bag of sos containing 125 sos. If you like metal chest dump the chests into the trash and keep them in bank.

High value dyes can be purchased for 250k clean up points and the lucky charm talisman is 300K I beleive. These sell for 6.5 - 10 mil.

Once you stock up enough ancient sos to go on an expedition (i usually save up around 15-30) then you fish them up remove the white net and put it in a bag within your pouch then remove the gold and put it in the beetle and then put the chests into the beetle until it cant hold any more chests. Once you cant carry any more chests (you will always be able to hold the net and the gold from the chest that you cant carry due the the amount of items) recall to bank and either empty the chests into the trash or dump the whole chest then empty beetle into the bank...

Once you have your nets stocked up you can prepare to fish up the high seas boss or sell the nets for 1.5 mil a pop.

So on average you can generate 5-15 mil per day if you fish from server restart to server shut down. 24 hours of work just divide 5-15 by 24 to get the hourly wages. 200k-625k. Somewhere around there and it will always fluctuate so given the fluctuations an experienced fishmen makes about 300k per hours.

Cannon supplies are pretty awesome. I thought that they were a massive pain to secure because for one no one sells match sticks or fuse cord so you need to make those yourself. I happened to get lucky and found a vendor selling tons of heavy cannon ball charges but these are all reletively easy to make. Basically the main ingredient is salt peter which can only be mined in dungeons. There is however a vendor that sells salt peter in bulk on the sea market! you can buy thousands from him and use a bag of sending to send it to bank. Then you will need wood boards and balls of yarn / alchemy skill (cooking is only used to make the charcol and requires zero skill).

So concentrate mainly on the fuse cords. You wont find many for sale and cant find enough as loot to keep you fully supplied. Cannon balls are cheap and easy to make when compared to fuse cords. Here is the secret though... Once you have around 100-200 fuse cord, heavy cannon balls, and 2-3 matches just go sale around and type "start tracking" to hunt down a merchant vessel. Only use your cannons on it until it is destroyed and then loot it. Don't bother with pirate ships. Each merchant ship will have cannon supplies but never enough to replenish the supplies you used to destroy them, however, they will have many more matches than they needed and this is good because you will never have to make matches again.

Last edited:

General Lee

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
There is however a vendor that sells salt peter in bulk on the sea market! you can buy thousands from him and use a bag of sending to send it to bank.
Nice post Night Stalker! There is a bank at the sea market right next to the vendors that sell the saltpeter, no need to use up your bag of sending.