• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Unique Names

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It's never to late! Seriously we need unique names. I personally know so many that have quit UO do to people using there name(s).
make Unique names and the ID I'm sure can tell who was 1st 2nd or 3rd. They can have a permanent same number behind there name or use soul stones to stone out skills and change your name.
No other game out there has allowed this to go on and for good reason.
Unique Names Today!

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I wish they had unique names from the start, but they didn't, the problem now is that there are too many people all with the same name and all of them consider the name to be theirs. How would they decide who deserves the name the most? All that would happen is that they would make a lot of people really angry by changing their name! Personally I would hate having a number in my name. The only way it would work is if there was some incentive for changing your name. Even then I can't see anyone who has played with a name they like for 15-20 years agreeing to it....

Abyss-

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Quit game because their name was taken? Seems they were more into looks and names than into playing this game lol ...so you want to force old accs to lose their name if they were created before certain cut off date? cause pretty much all names have been created already way back in the past on some account. I don't see any doubles running around on Atlantic really.. It won't work anyways. The system with names like it is now is good. If you block names because one already had them would suck, cause you cannot create a char with your name because someone in 1998 already created a char with that name and doesn't even play anymore.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There are too many people with the same names already to change it at this point. How would the game decide which of the 50 people named "Dragon" get to keep their name, and which 49 have to change it?

It would have been a worthwhile idea to try at the beginning of the game, but it's far too late now unfortunately. Plus most people with more than one account have a character with the same name on each account.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed bad idea along with rainbow coloured freaking unicorns what a waste of time resources an effort

Uo in a nut shell.

So yes they will introduce that soon and piss a lot of people off
Winning

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My characters are fairly uniquely named... don't see any other Malag'aste's running about suppose someone "could" make that but you know as far as my RP goes Malag exists on every shard. Yes there is one on every shard sometimes 2 or 3 of them...

But most don't have any skills... would suck if they were all labeled 1, 2, 3, 201... etc...

I figure UO is FAR more like the real world than you know... Ever been to an Airport and thought it strange to hear your Fathers name (a very not so common name) over the page system and think WTF?!?!? and find there is another person in the world with that name????? I have.

How many John Smiths are there in the real world???? 100???? 1,000?? 10,0000???? Who's to say... over the years there have probably been 1,000,000... but does he complain that someone has his name?? No... you deal with it.

Now where I draw the line is when someone creates a character with the exact likeness and exact name and tries to copy everything down to guild as well for the purpose of harassment.... because IMO THAT is against the TOS and should be deleted and account marked in violation.... 3 strikes your out... and it should be ALL their accounts... not the cheap freebee they are trying to pretend it isn't what it is on.... but all of them... check the IP and all I'm sure they know who is doing it... Mark them all send them an email... get them out of the game... take a stand .... but we know that's not going to happen.

Problem is that the DEV's and GM's fail at maintaining either the ToS or at customer service... but we've known that for years.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I am going to jinx myself I know it...but I am the only Larisa in game on every shard.....DON'T GO MAKING ANY MORE!!! ;)

There is a Larisah and a Larisa A...something...somewhere..now I forget where....but no Larisa....I AM UNIQUE! (probably not for long now!) LOL but I agree...my 2 Larisa's on Siege I have Larisa and Larisa2 when I talk in Gen Chat....I would not want to be Larisa420099584 ;)

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously we need unique names. I personally know so many that have quit UO do to people using there name(s).
make Unique names and the ID I'm sure can tell who was 1st 2nd or 3rd. They can have a permanent same number behind there name or use soul stones to stone out skills and change your name.
I completely agree.

It's never to late!
Sadly, it is. Far far too late.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Having suffered from impersonation, including a fairly public bout of it a few years ago, I can sympathize with those who are intentionally trolled by copycats. In fact, UO not being name unique was the reason Mesanna failed to enforce the ToS during my troubles...yet sicced a GM on a guy with the name of "Mesanna's Husband" during a meet and greet shortly thereafter. :rolleyes2:

FYI: You can't name a character "John Smith" in UO (anymore). I've tried. Apparently it is simply too salacious for someone's delicate sensibilities... o_O

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as being realistic, many people will have similar or same names. However in the game world, it would be best to have unique names.

But I will also have to agree with many others. This should of been implemented in 1997/1998, by now it would be too much, too late.

FYI: You can't name a character "John Smith" in UO (anymore). I've tried. Apparently it is simply too salacious for someone's delicate sensibilities... o_O
This is funny, not only is it ridiculous, but I have many characters that I only take out during gift/anniversary time to collect their gifts because they have names so bad they cannot even be stated on these forums, but yet, John Smith is a name that cannot be used.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's never to late! Seriously we need unique names. I personally know so many that have quit UO do to people using there name(s).
Unique Names Today!

No! Don't kill the Bobs Vs the Freds!

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Having suffered from impersonation, including a fairly public bout of it a few years ago, I can sympathize with those who are intentionally trolled by copycats. In fact, UO not being name unique was the reason Mesanna failed to enforce the ToS during my troubles...yet sicced a GM on a guy with the name of "Mesanna's Husband" during a meet and greet shortly thereafter. :rolleyes2:

that's because it has the word "Smith" in it which some blacksmith NPCs have in their name ... like "Bob the Smith"

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The solution could be like the original post said... give people with similar names a permanent number at the end in global chats. Not overhead though... that would be harsh.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As far as being realistic, many people will have similar or same names. However in the game world, it would be best to have unique names.

But I will also have to agree with many others. This should of been implemented in 1997/1998, by now it would be too much, too late.

This is funny, not only is it ridiculous, but I have many characters that I only take out during gift/anniversary time to collect their gifts because they have names so bad they cannot even be stated on these forums, but yet, John Smith is a name that cannot be used.
I inherited a few of those... always said if I ever get up the nerve to quit I'm going out with a bang giving them GM Tailoring and making 100's of sashes and dumping those on every Luna Bank... Before quitting... A couple of different names...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have an Emily .... Named before EM's returned.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NewSigSiege10.jpg I started playing a game called Gemstone 2 back in the late 80's thats still around has Gemstone 4 that only allowed one person to have each name. Once they connected to the internet in the mid 90's they quickly ran out of normal sounding names and you'd wind up with character names like Jmetsmatk running around just to have a character name. UO allowing names to be used by multiple people was the right way to go, being forced to go with a weird jumble of letters has your name in game was a turn off for a lot of people.

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For years I was the only Tyrath until I made some scripters mad then several popped up with the name cheating, scamming and scripting :) That is where Unique Guild Tags come in handy........ It ain't a real Tyrath unless it is a PERV or a ZOOG :) And I agree it is too late for existing names but would not hurt to force a number behind new characters created using a existing name.

MoxZinnia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I kinda wish each account had a single Clan name that appeared after the name of each character on the account. It could be unique to each account and appear in the guild name spot if the character did not belong to a guild or did not want to show their guild affiliation. Everyone could still name their characters names already in game, but would be differentiated by their Clan name or guild affiliation. There would be fewer Clan names than given names, so not so many to keep track of. Trial accounts that don't become paid accounts before they close would lose their Clan name, and if they were ever reopened as a paid account would need to pick a new Clan name if the original one was taken at that point.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I kinda wish each account had a single Clan name that appeared after the name of each character on the account. It could be unique to each account and appear in the guild name spot if the character did not belong to a guild or did not want to show their guild affiliation. Everyone could still name their characters names already in game, but would be differentiated by their Clan name or guild affiliation. There would be fewer Clan names than given names, so not so many to keep track of. Trial accounts that don't become paid accounts before they close would lose their Clan name, and if they were ever reopened as a paid account would need to pick a new Clan name if the original one was taken at that point.
Roleplayers would have issues with a clan name. They design their characters to have completely separate lives not linked in any way sometimes, so it wouldn't make sense for them to both have the same clan name. I know it seems minor, but to roleplayers it's a big deal.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am going to jinx myself I know it...but I am the only Larisa in game on every shard.....DON'T GO MAKING ANY MORE!!! ;)

There is a Larisah and a Larisa A...something...somewhere..now I forget where....but no Larisa....I AM UNIQUE! (probably not for long now!) LOL but I agree...my 2 Larisa's on Siege I have Larisa and Larisa2 when I talk in Gen Chat....I would not want to be Larisa420099584 ;)
*Begins making Larisa clones*
Soon I'll have enough to rule the world!

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay. I decided to sound off in this fight as both I and Jirel (my sister) have been impersonated. I personally try to keep my little nose clean. Jirel on the other hand; weeeellllll she has moments she could make Pope Francis cuss a blue steak! Regardless she is my sister and blood is thicker than water. I'll always stick up for her and have her back. J has made her share of enemies. These misguided miscreants with the IQ of a boulder made clones of us both. They sat in Luna bank cussing everyone on general chat and dropping more F-bombs than Eddie Murphy did in Eddie Murphy Live! Sis and I log in to find Legends shard was assembling a lynch mob for Jirel! We hadn't be in UO in two weeks! Unique names would help since the Dev has NO INTENTIONS of even enforcing the TOS/ROC again. Also I would like to see it an automatic bannable offense if someone repeatedly makes chars using another players real life name, the names of their relatives and names of their real life pets. Of course that's a story for another day. That's my take on the naming thing.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay. I decided to sound off in this fight as both I and Jirel (my sister) have been impersonated. I personally try to keep my little nose clean. Jirel on the other hand; weeeellllll she has moments she could make Pope Francis cuss a blue steak! Regardless she is my sister and blood is thicker than water. I'll always stick up for her and have her back. J has made her share of enemies. These misguided miscreants with the IQ of a boulder made clones of us both. They sat in Luna bank cussing everyone on general chat and dropping more F-bombs than Eddie Murphy did in Eddie Murphy Live! Sis and I log in to find Legends shard was assembling a lynch mob for Jirel! We hadn't be in UO in two weeks! Unique names would help since the Dev has NO INTENTIONS of even enforcing the TOS/ROC again. Also I would like to see it an automatic bannable offense if someone repeatedly makes chars using another players real life name, the names of their relatives and names of their real life pets. Of course that's a story for another day. That's my take on the naming thing.
BAH Jirel has been one of my favorite people since I first met her in the wind maze many many many years ago :) Ain't nothing wrong with her, unless not swallowing turds handed out by other folks is wrong. The getting impersonated intentionally and for the sole purpose of Cheating, Scamming, Scripting, and Trash talking to kill someones reputation should indeed be a perm ban worthy offense.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
BAH Jirel has been one of my favorite people since I first met her in the wind maze many many many years ago :) Ain't nothing wrong with her, unless not swallowing turds handed out by other folks is wrong. The getting impersonated intentionally and for the sole purpose of Cheating, Scamming, Scripting, and Trash talking to kill someones reputation should indeed be a perm ban worthy offense.
Agreed.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It's way, way too late for this, and would be a nightmare mess to try to implement retroactively. Additionally, I don't know about you guys, but I sometimes have to use fake versions of my own characters for RP purposes depending on who is on what account. Forcing unique names would end that. It would probably affect people's crafter names in awkward ways too.

That said, there definitely is a problem with impersonation and scamming and the like. Characters have unique numerical IDs that show in chat channels--something as simple as adding an option to people's paperdolls to view that number could help--nothing obtrusive, but an option for verifying identity. I doubt it's a priority though, especially this late into the game and with such a low population.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have 5 active accounts and all but 10 characters have the same name so 25 all the same
I really don't want to have to change 24 char names
I play a little different than most people all of my characters are 1 and when I'm on any built up char and I'm on
All my friends know I'm online

I'm sure maybe a work around can be done like only linked accounts can have that "name"

Just a thought though

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
so what happens when you x-shard to another shard to shop and there is a fella with the same name as you there?

do we do like Spock and Kirk had to do and fight till the death with some cheesy music playing while we circle each other waiting for an opening to strike?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
im always surprised when someone with the name Poo runs onto my screen.
i honestly thought i couldn't get more original than that....

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
There are permanent numbers that show up in front of char names in chats. This number stays the same even if a name change token is used.
I have been trolled a lot and I couldn't say how many times I have told people my ID#. The person they were talking to was not me, write down my ID#. I wasn't even on yesterday, remember to look at the ID #. It's like no one looks at ID #'s.
I

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I totally get the RP argument but I still think the clan/family name idea has merit. It could be added as a title above or below the characters actual name, or in brackets. It would add a level of extra identity if the clan name was required to be unique, without changing anyone's existing name. Also it would probably be easier to implement than actually trying to make names unique at this point, I just think that would be a nightmare! I really do feel for anyone that has been harassed by copy-cats, I was a victim of an impersonator long ago when I started playing and it's really unpleasant. :(

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I totally get the RP argument but I still think the clan/family name idea has merit. It could be added as a title above or below the characters actual name, or in brackets. It would add a level of extra identity if the clan name was required to be unique, without changing anyone's existing name. Also it would probably be easier to implement than actually trying to make names unique at this point, I just think that would be a nightmare! I really do feel for anyone that has been harassed by copy-cats, I was a victim of an impersonator long ago when I started playing and it's really unpleasant. :(
Doesn't a guild tag already pretty much cover this? How about put a persons guild tag behind their name in GC?? Going by ID # is not really workable, I know I am not going to be one of these folks that keeps a notebook with everyones chat ID#. Throw the guild tag behind the name like (Tyrath of PERV) then you know you are talking to who you think you are talking to.

Morgana Grim

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Doesn't a guild tag already pretty much cover this? How about put a persons guild tag behind their name in GC?? Going by ID # is not really workable, I know I am not going to be one of these folks that keeps a notebook with everyones chat ID#. Throw the guild tag behind the name like (Tyrath of PERV) then you know you are talking to who you think you are talking to.
I like the idea of guild tags in chat since that seems to be the most important issue to people. Only thing is some people do not run with their guild tag showing above their char, idk how people would feel about it being forced upon them in chat.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the idea of guild tags in chat since that seems to be the most important issue to people. Only thing is some people do not run with their guild tag showing above their char, idk how people would feel about it being forced upon them in chat.
Don't force it on anyone very simply those of us that care about our good reputation and being honest would use it and already display our unique guild tags overhead. Just verysimply if you display the tag it show in chat if you don't it doesn't. Personally I can't think of a reason not to display a guild tag.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't force it on anyone very simply those of us that care about our good reputation and being honest would use it and already display our unique guild tags overhead. Just verysimply if you display the tag it show in chat if you don't it doesn't. Personally I can't think of a reason not to display a guild tag.
The one who impersonated Dot Warner did so with such accuracy that even the guild tag was hard to see the difference... So unless you were really scrutinizing it you wouldn't have been able to notice...

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
so what happens when you x-shard to another shard to shop and there is a fella with the same name as you there?

do we do like Spock and Kirk had to do and fight till the death with some cheesy music playing while we circle each other waiting for an opening to strike?
:lol: made me laugh so hard!!!