• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I cannot find the link

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
There isn't a public Stratics Discord Server...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Dunno... but the General UO one is dead most the time... Kept hoping it would pick up. Really do like Discord though much more than Skype or anything else.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
What's the point in having a private stratics discord server? wtf?
Intra-Staff communication. We thought about setting up a public one, but when we looked at how often people find it impossible to not troll each other on the forums, adding something else that would need moderated just wasn't as appealing...

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Intra-Staff communication. We thought about setting up a public one, but when we looked at how often people find it impossible to not troll each other on the forums, adding something else that would need moderated just wasn't as appealing...
If you don't wish to do your job of moderation then I suggest you step down and find someone willing. The community deserves a dedicated discord server.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
If you don't wish to do your job of moderation then I suggest you step down and find someone willing. The community deserves a dedicated discord server.
hmmm You know I'm not a moderator... Though I am one of the people who gets to decide to what extent we're willing to open our moderators and other staff up to harassment, and how and what we're capable with our current staff of supporting.
The fact is:
A) it's another task our unpaid volunteers would have to keep up with. No one helping keep Stratics running is making a penny off the site, no matter if they are a Moderator, Reporter, or an Admin. Even the members of the LLC which owns Stratics like myself who are responsible for everything Stratics are all unpaid, we do it either our of love for UO or a dedication to keeping Stratics going, asking any of us to continually give up increasing amounts of our leisure time isn't a way to keep them on staff.
B) Several of our mods spend enough time dealing with butt hurt trolls harassing, and in some instances threatening them via ICQ, in game, and via PM's, there is little incentive for us to open them up to verbal harassment as well, they aren't paid enough to have to deal with that nonsense (again: they aren't paid at all).​
C) Considering we can't guarantee 24/7 moderation for a voice channels in Discord then it isn't right for us to open many of our community members up to the same type of harassment if we can't guarantee that level of moderation.​
Don't get me wrong I'd love for us to have a public server, however I also have an obligation to work to recognize what we can realistically do, and help decide what is acceptable to ask of our volunteers.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Our job is to moderate Stratics, which we do. Stratics is this website, not a discord server.

As it is each of us spend many hours every week dealing with the reports that come in and the various arguments when people want to fight against a warning they got etc.

We don't get paid, we are all volunteers with irl fulltime jobs and other real world commitments. Quite frankly we probably wouldn't even have time to moderate both the discord room and this website if the discord room got popular.

We have essentially 4 active moderators (not counting the board who aren't supposed to moderate unless they absolutely have to, since they are the ones who deal with appeals from people mad at moderators).

The 4 of us, are responsible for making sure each of the hundreds of new posts that show up every week, in each of the many forums, are not breaking the rules. It is a lot bigger of a task than it sounds like to just add a whole discord room to moderate on top of that.

If the discord room got popular we would have to then spend double the time reading through all that in addition to the real forum.

Oh and btw, we have been trying to find others willing to help. For a year. There aren't a whole lot of people out there in the limited UO player base willing to be yelled at and insulted all the time, without any payment.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Didn't there used to be a shoutbox for stratics? I need an outlet for my stupidity in between my stupidity so I can be stupid while doing stupid things. (Farming peerless keys now)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Didn't there used to be a shoutbox for stratics? I need an outlet for my stupidity in between my stupidity so I can be stupid while doing stupid things. (Farming peerless keys now)
You know honestly I can't remember, though Ron Bron was trying to bring something similar back to the site, but we were never able to get it configured the way we wanted...heck even the developers of the software couldn't get it configured the way we wanted...

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You guys shouldn't have to respond to things like he said. Neither he or I support the site other than traffic. He's taking advantage of your attention by saying things like that. Makes my blood boil a bit.

If you want a discord server, make one.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can see why this wouldn't be a good idea. Looks like you want to literally voice your venom.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think a stratics Discord would be great. Don't really need to moderate it. If there is somebody trolling or whatever its easy enough to block them.

Just have a pinned post at the top of the channel with a "enter at your own risk" kinda thing.

I would be happy to set this up for people to use.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There aren't a whole lot of people out there in the limited UO player base willing to be yelled at and insulted all the time, without any payment.
I would but you know me I would yell right back and tell them to F off like I do on my own server and various forums. AS far as a discord server........ No long explanation needed beyond "The Boss Doesn't Want to END OF STORY"

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
My general thoughts would be you don't have to moderate the hell outta everything. Couldn't be any worse than Atlantic general chat lol. Put up a little note it's not moderated and be advised before using and be done with it.