• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thanks for the Taming Pub Devs.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have not been this interested in UO in several years, it was getting to where it felt like a chore to log in and do my in game duties. A few glitchy things but no big deals, old pets useful again, customized pets but not a overly complex set of calculations that has to go into making a great pet. And I find myself often looking it the clock and thinking crap! 6 hours just flew by!!! Overall one of the better updates in a long long time IMO.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have not been this interested in UO in several years, it was getting to where it felt like a chore to log in and do my in game duties. A few glitchy things but no big deals, old pets useful again, customized pets but not a overly complex set of calculations that has to go into making a great pet. And I find myself often looking it the clock and thinking crap! 6 hours just flew by!!! Overall one of the better updates in a long long time IMO.
I rather enjoy it on the whole, I just wish control slots weren't fluid.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Loving it as well, just bummed about the control slots issue that brought needlessly complexity to it.
Overall, very solid publish. Been playing my tamers a lot more.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I asked the slot question in the last Meet and Greet on Pacific. Unfortunately that conversation did not get logged. But the devs' response was that keeping the slots the same would unbalance things.
While I agree that imbalance is bad, I feel that a key taming game play mechanic got removed very casually. IMO there had to be more effort to preserve it.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What I truly enjoy about this, is the puzzle of it all. Some don't like that, but a challenge makes me drool.

The Devs did not make it too easy, and it peaked my interest and still has and no doubt will for some time.

I whined in the beginning about some aspects, but overall, am loving it!

Kudos Broadsword!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am just not having a problem with the slots as they are based on the critters power and thus kept the balance and IMO actually improved taming overall by doing it this way.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I asked the slot question in the last Meet and Greet on Pacific. Unfortunately that conversation did not get logged. But the devs' response was that keeping the slots the same would unbalance things.
While I agree that imbalance is bad, I feel that a key taming game play mechanic got removed very casually. IMO there had to be more effort to preserve it.
I really don't see any way it could imbalance anything. At worst you get something with a few extra stat/skill points.

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm happy so far with the taming update. I haven't played this much UO in years. As stated by other posters, I would've handled the stable slots differently as-well.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Taming is good, although in some ways over complicated. Need a list of what removes what when added to pets, we don't all want to have to jump on tc every single time we want to do something to ensure by adding one thing we don't remove something unintended.

The whole stable slot thing, gouging players for more slots at extortion rates is the thing that has me on totally 'over' it. Sadly it seems players are happy to keep getting gouged in this way so expect more and more of it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Taming is good, although in some ways over complicated. Need a list of what removes what when added to pets, we don't all want to have to jump on tc every single time we want to do something to ensure by adding one thing we don't remove something unintended.

The whole stable slot thing, gouging players for more slots at extortion rates is the thing that has me on totally 'over' it. Sadly it seems players are happy to keep getting gouged in this way so expect more and more of it.
As I said before we are all now required to bend over and take it because some have already bought the thing hook line and sinker...

Personally I'd rather not spend my money on slots... but not much I can do about that now...

Would have been nice to give them a resounding HELL NO... but... too late for that.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would enjoy it a lot more if they added Albino squirrels to the trainable list. I don't really play "end-game" as i'm more of a hunter/gatherer type.
I was soooo looking forward to rolling with my pack of angry albino squirrels to take down ogres and trolls while I strip mine Sosaria.

To make matters worse, they allowed the boring "normal" squirrel to be trained.....but not the White...that's racist that is! :eyes::gee:

Last edited:

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally I'd rather not spend my money on slots... but not much I can do about that now...
Personally i like to buy items from uostore when efforts are invested in the correct place. Thus, to thank the dev team and in order to keep the game moving forward.

My thoughts about the extra pet slots:
1. Are not "pay to win" items.
2. You can buy them from players for gold
3. You can make another tamer to get more pet slots, So indirectly, the game is representing alternatives to get where u want to get.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You cannot buy them from other players for gold, they are account bound and only the Account that bought it can use it. You can "sell" the tokens but the buyer can't use them so people can get screwed this way. Account bound items should NOT be vendorable....

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally i like to buy items from uostore when efforts are invested in the correct place. Thus, to thank the dev team and in order to keep the game moving forward.

3. You can make another tamer to get more pet slots, So indirectly, the game is representing alternatives to get where u want to get.
1. The more choices you have with pets makes you a better tamer, so yes they are 'pay to win' if you want to term it like that. No one 'wins' UO so can't see how that applies but it seems it is Pay to enjoy more if you can afford it on top of your subscription.

2 you cannot buy them from other players if you want to use them, as the above said, they should not be vendorable or sellable as people are gonna get ripped off if they buy them as they are account bound.

3. I play siege, one char per account so no, it is not an option to create another tamer unless I open another account. But i would not want to delete other chars just to get pet slots for a tamer anyways even on my prodo shards I play. Stable slots should have been increased for free, or been across all characters on an account, so if I paid for an additional 3 slots they should apply to ALL characters on a particular account, on all shards. So $35 to upgrade the whole account to 21, not just the one char. They are charging a full expansion cost to upgrade ONE fliping character on one shard. Highway robbery.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You cannot buy them from other players for gold, they are account bound and only the Account that bought it can use it. You can "sell" the tokens but the buyer can't use them so people can get screwed this way. Account bound items should NOT be vendorable....
Ok i dont like that, thanks for clarifying this point

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@MissEcho, the more choices you have with pets makes you a better tamer???

No comment
And yeah you did comment . But sure it does, if you can get half a dozen cu's and experiment with them and work out all the in's and out's on various combinations, and then get a few pheonix's and do the same, then practice with pack animals in various combinations of 2 3 4 5 etc with different resists/damage/specials etc you are gonna become a much better tamer than one who can only have one due to lack of slots for it.

People who have many more pet slots have the abiltiy to practice and test pets much more than those with the basic number. It is like anything the more options you have to practice the better you get in learning about the pet and the best way to use it.

Those that can have a lot more slots become the 'pay to win' players

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People who have many more pet slots have the abiltiy to practice and test pets much more than those with the basic number. It is like anything the more options you have to practice the better you get in learning about the pet and the best way to use it.
Thats why you have a server called TC "test center" thats where u get to learn and test whats best for what. I am not convinced

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

As others have pointed out you can't sell them.... making another character to hold the pets is stupid... Wait a week to bond them then every time you want to use one of them? How F'd up is that??? Buy bond potions then just as stupid.

No. Limiting the slots was just a **** move and they know it.