• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Training multiple pets.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A friend and i were taking turns.
I was pulling and then she would take one then I would get the next one... both of us vetting and both pets attacking just swapped who was primary each time.
Seemed to work well.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm finding outside of the "pet powerhour" gains are painfully slow fullstop.
Not all of us can wander down to the deepest dungeon to find the boss mobs for fast gains and it seems the Sphinx and Swoop are camped 24/7 now.
Not to mention the pets i'm trying out wouldn't even be alive 5 seconds after walking into a Dungeon...

Enjoyable = No.
Yet another grind = Yes.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If only there was a critter that gives Great gains and only damages your pets for about 2-3 damage. Oh wait.... :devil:

*hint- crazy burning.

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
Not all of us can wander down to the deepest dungeon to find the boss mobs for fast gains and it seems the Sphinx and Swoop are camped 24/7 now.
Not to mention the pets i'm trying out wouldn't even be alive 5 seconds after walking into a Dungeon...

Enjoyable = No.
Yet another grind = Yes.
Yeah the grind is definitely real now! My Cu Sidhe was done in less than a day, other pets now feels like 3 or 4 days to of non stop grinding. -_-

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
this has been this way for years.
even when training on Shadow Elemental with a bunch of tamers and pets the pet tanking always got the faster gains.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If only there was a critter that gives Great gains and only damages your pets for about 2-3 damage. Oh wait.... :devil:

*hint- crazy burning.
And how would one get this to work? you can inbox me if you don't want to share with the world ;)

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The crazed and the burning in shame. I've trained runes and hiryus on them mostly. They do very little damage to the pets. Burning s have an aoe and switch a lot. Crazed mob you can take a nap at. Trained pets up 2 levels in under an hour. Great gains up to 30-40 then you have to kill it and get a new one.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The days of shadow elemental farming is dead to me for now then.
I don't know... I found it particularly hard to get skill gains on some of the very low level pets while fighting the kinds of critters that give the good gains. Using the shadow ele to get thier skills up fairly quickly so they could hit/gain quicker from the good training mobs seemed very helpful for me.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The crazed and the burning in shame. I've trained runes and hiryus on them mostly. They do very little damage to the pets. Burning s have an aoe and switch a lot. Crazed mob you can take a nap at. Trained pets up 2 levels in under an hour. Great gains up to 30-40 then you have to kill it and get a new one.
Ahh....i though "crazy burning" was for the Wild fire spellweaving spell.
I've been seeing alot of people with a few pets around them inside houses just repeatedly casting wildfire, i wonder what thats for then?....

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahh....i though "crazy burning" was for the Wild fire spellweaving spell.
I've been seeing alot of people with a few pets around them inside houses just repeatedly casting wildfire, i wonder what thats for then?....
That is certainly odd. Raising healing maybe? Easier ways to do that though

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Enjoyable = No.
Yet another grind = Yes.
What exactly is stopping you from wandering down to the deepest dungeon? Haven't people been doing that for 20 years?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just rotate the pets as to which one is taking the damage and they all gain fast.. Beetle Reptalon hiryu.jpg

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What are you fighting there?!
Is the pet highest in the list the one that does most damage?
I pretty much only train pets on Dread Pirates. The Beetle and the Lesser Hiryu are 1 slots at the time I snapped that. The Reptalon had just advanced to 4 slot and got 20HPR . Dread pirates don't do enough damage to kill anything with 20HPR. 1 slot and 2 slot a pirate trains to 100% on one pirate 3-4 50% Per Pirate 4-5 25% per Pirate. Takes a Ship, heavy Cannons, Cannon Balls, heavy powder charges, fuse cords and some skill with ship to ship combat. But once you get the hang of it its fast, easy and very profitable. The pet training is just gravy on the biscuit :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Dread Pirates also have like 5000 HP so one pirate last a while if you are not using high end heavy damage dealing pets......... Until everyone gets their % Gains and its time to kill the pirate.

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
I pretty much only train pets on Dread Pirates. The Beetle and the Lesser Hiryu are 1 slots at the time I snapped that. The Reptalon had just advanced to 4 slot and got 20HPR . Dread pirates don't do enough damage to kill anything with 20HPR. 1 slot and 2 slot a pirate trains to 100% on one pirate 3-4 50% Per Pirate 4-5 25% per Pirate. Takes a Ship, heavy Cannons, Cannon Balls, heavy powder charges, fuse cords and some skill with ship to ship combat. But once you get the hang of it its fast, easy and very profitable. The pet training is just gravy on the biscuit :)
Skill to ship to ship combat? What is this sorcery?! I am still mega new to UO but have the Boat expansion.
Please please please teach me this!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Skill to ship to ship combat? What is this sorcery?! I am still mega new to UO but have the Boat expansion.
Please please please teach me this!
If you don't have one make a character on Origin with 50 Animal Lore and 50 Hiding and I will take you along on my next voyage, and there will probably be several over the next couple of hours :) The hiding is so you won't get orc whacked and the lore is so you can look at my pets. Might add chiv so if am not at the SW Zento Pirate house you can SJ off the rune on the porch to my ship. If the "Stank Hole" (My Pirating ship is not parked in front of the house I am out prowling the waters of the Tokuno islands beatin on Dread Pirates and those nasty Pirates disquised as Merchant ships!

Marky mark

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Having a hard time training your pets to 100%? Have no fear, Marky Mark is here! Depending on the pet you may or may not have issues. I suggest you all try shame level 5. My preferred target of choice is the crazed Mage as they give about 50% training progress if not more in only minutes!
If you are alone you probably won't be able to kill it fast so if you heal with vet take lots of band aids. There's another Mage in shame level 5 as well. Both mages give the same amount of training progress. I like to rotate when my pet stops gaining off one of the mages.

Hope this help those that are stuck or taking a long time to train their pets!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
He'll need the HIgh Seas expansion to get ON your ship... Or he'll have to follow along in his own dragon ship.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He'll need the HIgh Seas expansion to get ON your ship... Or he'll have to follow along in his own dragon ship.
Said he has the "Boat Expansion" :) Of course High Seas and Dread Pirates ain't for everyone given the expense of buying the Fuse cords, balls, Cannons, ship, and heavy charges or the Time Sink involved in mining the saltpeter and having the array of skills to turn it into the Cords and Charges and the Mining and Blacksmith to make the cannons. I have no problem mining the saltpeter or making the balls and cannons..... What turns most people off is the tedious making the fuse cords and the failure rate without +30 alchemy in making the black powder. No Sympathy for folks that don't want to mine the salt peter or iron though and buy it from the seaport alchemist for his insane price :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mining Salt Peter isn't an issue... super easy if you know where to go.

Boring as all get out making fuse cord. Don't waste time making any more than one match, or rod... anything else you need you get from your first ship... but Cannons and the rest is easy... as for the charges I get more than I could use from the paintings.

But for me I don't bother... I find the crazed mages or Wind Eles just fine.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mining Salt Peter isn't an issue... super easy if you know where to go.

Boring as all get out making fuse cord. Don't waste time making any more than one match, or rod... anything else you need you get from your first ship... but Cannons and the rest is easy... as for the charges I get more than I could use from the paintings.

But for me I don't bother... I find the crazed mages or Wind Eles just fine.
Tried them they are not even close to training rate of the Dread Pirates :) Plus the DPs have insane HP regen and you just keep gating in new pets one after another and training them up on one Pirate. Yes I know it is CHEEZ but I just want to get the pets past the Basic training and into the real skill training and then hunting as fast as I can with the least risk. Oh Saltpeter is is crazy easy I can mine 3500-4000 per hour on a good run and 2800-3000 on a not so good run, Most folks just don't know how to efficiently mine it. What I hate loath and despise is the making the 5,000 potash I burn through every week, That should be just like the charcoal IMO. I am back up to 17 ship paintings on Siege and 32 on prodo so I make enough charges to supply my needs and have a bit left over to sell. I just really like the High Seas, Fishing, Doing the Bounty Hunter Quest, Hunting down those nasty pirates disquised as merchant ships and liberating the contents of their holds and racking up millions of turn in points. The Pet training really was just bonus material that proved to be far more efficient than anything else I have found...... Trained a Najasaurus from fresh to 5 slot in 1 hour and 14 minutes yesterday afternoon plus got Phat Merch and Pirate loots in the doing and some nice legendary arti drops from the DPs that I didn't tie up.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah and @Tyrath, I think a lot of players forget about pirates and such in Tokuno... What they really need to do would be to move the entire Emporium over on the other side of Jhelom... Everyone would be grateful... No one wants to do them in Tram or Fel as sailing all the way down there is just ridiculous...

I'd like to see them add an Elven boat... Bet that would be sweet. It could have ML stuffs on it... that would make them worthwhile.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah and @Tyrath, I think a lot of players forget about pirates and such in Tokuno... What they really need to do would be to move the entire Emporium over on the other side of Jhelom... Everyone would be grateful... No one wants to do them in Tram or Fel as sailing all the way down there is just ridiculous...

I'd like to see them add an Elven boat... Bet that would be sweet. It could have ML stuffs on it... that would make them worthwhile.
I just finished up moving full time to Origin on Prodo from Legends and the deciding factor was my Must have house location was open :) Pirate Tyrath just won't live anywhere else :) High Seas has a lot of room for improvement and I like your idea of Elf ships and ML loot. Don't think they should change the pirate rich waters of the Tokuno Islands though. But adding some tough ships for the pirates something along the lines of a Pirate ship the size of the Brit Ship with 3x 4x the HP and fire power in addition the the orc ship pirates. A Pirate Lord if you will :) Give everything a smarter AI the current AI is way to easy to trick. Add those 48 pounder or dragon cannons I saw the concept art for. Streamline the cannon firing way too burdonsome even with macros. A simple click to activate and a click to fire With the load which ammo only popping if you have multiple ammo in the back pack. And in keeping in line with the taming aspect of this thread.......... I used to train my pets anatomy up on Vorpal Bunnies then high seas and the DPs came along and the Anat Gains beating on DPs were around 6X faster than the Vorpal Bunnies. The floating seaport was and is a bad idea and a total PITA Every town with a Port or Dock should have what is on that floating pile of junk. And I want whales to hunt in particular a rare white whale.............

I pile the death certs from the pirates I kill up until I have 100 of them and then turn them in, they are worth 10k each so its like a bonus million in gold on turn in day :)

Pirate Tyrath.jpg

Pirate Tyrath2.jpg

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's awesome. I played on Legends for a little while.