• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet Training: What to fight

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I am training a Cu with GM wrestling. I have tried several different critters (OL, Crimson Drakes, Greater Dragons, Demons) and the only message I see is "slightly increased". Anyone have any luck finding critters to fight that give fairly or greatly increased?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
High fame works best...and even if it does say slightly, if you're training during your pets power hour you'll get more. The void critters in Ter Mur work well during power hour

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tried a few more, Balrons, etc... only slightly on all of them.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
didn't you do any testing on TC? Most knew the best spot to train!!

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I didn't test the leveling up process on a trained pet after they added the messages that showed the amount gained... only that they were gaining.

But if you know, by all means share.

Last edited:

KimDeago

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I trained a Cu in both levels of training on nothing but Swoop.Took 79 on the first level then 99 on the second level. Used the "power hour" them mastery after the power hour. Slow but steady gains all the way.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I trained a Cu in both levels of training on nothing but Swoop.Took 79 on the first level then 99 on the second level. Used the "power hour" them mastery after the power hour. Slow but steady gains all the way.
Swoop is also slightly. So is a paragon Cu.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Okay don't worry about the ~Slightly~ Message...you seem to be getting hung up on that. If you want the big gains, go kill big stuff....Champ Spawns, Peerless bosses..etc. But the slightly gains adjust as well...I can get a .1% slightly gain off one thing but a 10% slightly gain off something else..just watch your %..if you want great gains, go kill great stuff ;)

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay don't worry about the ~Slightly~ Message...you seem to be getting hung up on that. If you want the big gains, go kill big stuff....Champ Spawns, Peerless bosses..etc. But the slightly gains adjust as well...I can get a .1% slightly gain off one thing but a 10% slightly gain off something else..just watch your %..if you want great gains, go kill great stuff ;)
Ya, after seeing the difference in slightly, I was hoping that a fairly or greatly would be really good. Alas, either the message is broken, or I don't really think that this level anything is going to be more than slightly.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I am training a Cu with GM wrestling. I have tried several different critters (OL, Crimson Drakes, Greater Dragons, Demons) and the only message I see is "slightly increased". Anyone have any luck finding critters to fight that give fairly or greatly increased?
I went to various places: I started a bunch of pets on a Blind Justice Paladin (may or may not still be available on your shard), which got multiple pets to about 50%. I also killed Greater Dragons (and a Paragon Greater), Ancient Wyrm, and fought a few other things, like Eternal Gazers. However, I had the most gains from the T-Rex and Navrey. Against those two, my gains were always either 1.25% or 2.50%. I dual-cliented everything (for the Blind Justice Paladin, I brought pets from my other account knowing how well they'd gain) since I knew I'd need a Greater to tank.

I would assume that all boss-level monsters give similar gains, but I haven't fought any others to compare.

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
Hit up Narvey, the gains are great!

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Trained 4 pets to 100% in 3 hours. Finished most of them during PH.
This was easy going with a group of 3 to 7 tamers. You have to Dive deep Into the dungeons.

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shame level 5 seems to be best. The Crazed Mage is not that hard to tank and gives great gains, Wind Elementals are also quite good to tank if you dont get too many, the Burning Mage can be annyoing, but in a group good doable and gives good gains, the Unbound Vortexes hit hard, so hard to tank. Eternal Gazers one level down give good gains too, but are not that easy for untrained pets.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about for wimpy stuff? I tried training a walrus on test and it was pretty dang hard to keep it alive.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I started with a wolf in Moonglow killing chickens and cats and dogs...build up from there lol

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started with a wolf in Moonglow killing chickens and cats and dogs...build up from there lol
I get good gains on liches... but they one-two shot my pets cause they have no resists. :/

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shame level 5 seems to be best. The Crazed Mage is not that hard to tank and gives great gains, Wind Elementals are also quite good to tank if you dont get too many, the Burning Mage can be annyoing, but in a group good doable and gives good gains, the Unbound Vortexes hit hard, so hard to tank. Eternal Gazers one level down give good gains too, but are not that easy for untrained pets.
Gonna have to try level 5 next. I did think about it but wasn't crazy about dual-clienting it. My Nightmare is a freaking tank, so I'll try it.

redman2k

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will a pet still gain if the tamer tanks the monster instead of the pet? And does fighting harder monsters increase a pets exp faster? I am mainly asking regarding "wimpy" pets like a timber wolf. If I tank a lich would they gain more than the .01-.02 like they do now fighting cows, hearts, bears and ogres?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will a pet still gain if the tamer tanks the monster instead of the pet? And does fighting harder monsters increase a pets exp faster? I am mainly asking regarding "wimpy" pets like a timber wolf. If I tank a lich would they gain more than the .01-.02 like they do now fighting cows, hearts, bears and ogres?
As far as I can tell the only way to "quickly" raise weak pets is to have 5 weak ass things wail on them while they sit there and take it, and you vet as fast as possible to keep it alive. It still takes like an 30-45 minutes and hundreds of bandages to gain 1%.

Maybe there's a better way but I haven't found it so far.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes. I was fighting boss-level/extremely durable monsters for most of yesterday: Eternal Gazer, Navrey, T-Rex. Eternal Gazers are decent, but you'll HAVE to use a Greater Dragon to start things off. A resist/HP bumped 4-slot Nightmare can easily tank the T-Rex with Consume Damage though.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes. I was fighting boss-level/extremely durable monsters for most of yesterday: Eternal Gazer, Navrey, T-Rex. Eternal Gazers are decent, but you'll HAVE to use a Greater Dragon to start things off. A resist/HP bumped 4-slot Nightmare can easily tank the T-Rex with Consume Damage though.
I hear everyone say Consume Damage but IMO that's never really done squat for me... still have to heal like mad. Personally I don't think Consume Damage really does anything noticeable worth working super hard to get a level 3 mastery for. I have 1 or 2 but honestly they are FAR too expensive to waste my gold on buying and getting one is nearly impossible.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The unbound EV seems to be doing really good for the Cu. Does energy damage and the Cu has naturally high energy resist. Getting greatly gains too. Thanks for the tip!

Turbo

Adventurer
I raised my cu from 50% on it first training round to 100% and then did the full 100% on its second level up in about 4 navrey kills. As suggest above if you get a gd to tank it anything can hit it with immunity until the gd gets teleported away and webbed. The pet was gaining 2.5% per tick when in power hour and 1.25% after that. Discord helped make it easy to keep the gd up. I cant see why this wouldnt work for a 1 slot pet as long as you are ready to pull it back when the tank is ported away.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I raised my cu from 50% on it first training round to 100% and then did the full 100% on its second level up in about 4 navrey kills. As suggest above if you get a gd to tank it anything can hit it with immunity until the gd gets teleported away and webbed. The pet was gaining 2.5% per tick when in power hour and 1.25% after that. Discord helped make it easy to keep the gd up. I cant see why this wouldnt work for a 1 slot pet as long as you are ready to pull it back when the tank is ported away.
I think for most peeps getting one slot pets to level two is gonna be quite a chore. Once you get to two it should be easier.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hear everyone say Consume Damage but IMO that's never really done squat for me... still have to heal like mad. Personally I don't think Consume Damage really does anything noticeable worth working super hard to get a level 3 mastery for. I have 1 or 2 but honestly they are FAR too expensive to waste my gold on buying and getting one is nearly impossible.
then either your taming is too low for a noticeable effect, or, more likely, you're not fighting monsters that do physical damage. It doesn't work against Fire/Cold/Poison/Energy damage.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At level 3 mastery and legendary skills, in my experience, consume damage is the difference between "my GD dies quickly; I am not even close to keeping up with damage" and "I have to heal occasionally."

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
At level 3 mastery and legendary skills, in my experience, consume damage is the difference between "my GD dies quickly; I am not even close to keeping up with damage" and "I have to heal occasionally."
I guess I use the one that does the damage boost... I figure faster it's over the better... Unless I can't get anywhere near my pet I prefer that one. With 20+ tamers getting a level 3 for all of them... just not happening. I think 2 of my tamers have one... maybe 3... but that's it and I'm not about to pay 20+ mill for it.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Consume Damage converts Physical damage taken into HPR and HCI for your pet. The effectiveness of it is based on your real Taming/Lore skill, and it scales very sharply with skill. There's a pretty huge difference in it's performance even between 115 Taming/Lore and 120 Taming/Lore.

What i've found to train on that works well, is the Allosaurus. Get great gains on them (especially for the pet that is tanking it), and you continue to get gains on them until the Allosaurus dies. It's not like some of the stupid tough mobs, where you stop getting gains halfway through it's health bar, and have to take a long time killing it so you can get a fresh one to spawn and gain off of.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A little off topic, but I would love to see a menu option to select the damage type that the taming masteries work off of... similar to the damage type on the discord mastery.

@Kyronix @Bleak

Would this be doable?

michelle

Visitor
I always train in Shame level 5 and what I do is start on a crazed mage until my pet completely trains the first tier. I train up my resists first so that my pet can tank the unbound vortex. After training up resists, it's cake from there. Gains are pretty good on the unbound vortex. It will normally take me 2-3 hours to fully train a pet there.

Yogi969

Visitor
I've trained 2 cus up from 0 at shame level 5. It is by far the best place to quickly train a pet assuming you have decent vet or magery/med to heal

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nothing beats dread pirates for gain. If you have high seas that is the ONLY way to do it. One pirate will train a 1 or 2 slot pet from 0-100%, a 3 slot for 0-50 points, a 4 slot for 0-25 points. Best thing is to train a bunch at at time on ONE pirate for their max gains, stabling in between, then grab a new pirate for the next round. In the time it took me to get 2.65 points on my bane fighting 'stuff' for about an hour I got the full 25% on one pirate in 10mins. Pain to get the pirate but well worth it if you have a bunch of pets to run through the process.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nothing beats dread pirates for gain. If you have high seas that is the ONLY way to do it. One pirate will train a 1 or 2 slot pet from 0-100%, a 3 slot for 0-50 points, a 4 slot for 0-25 points. Best thing is to train a bunch at at time on ONE pirate for their max gains, stabling in between, then grab a new pirate for the next round. In the time it took me to get 2.65 points on my bane fighting 'stuff' for about an hour I got the full 25% on one pirate in 10mins. Pain to get the pirate but well worth it if you have a bunch of pets to run through the process.
All of the high end mobs (Allosaurus, Crazed Mage, Unbound, etc) work the same as the pirates as far as gains go... some just do more damage than others. Crazed mage is popular because it does slight damage and is easy to fight again after one dies, etc.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All of the high end mobs (Allosaurus, Crazed Mage, Unbound, etc) work the same as the pirates as far as gains go... some just do more damage than others. Crazed mage is popular because it does slight damage and is easy to fight again after one dies, etc.
Yeah but the beauty of dread pirates, especially where I play on siege, is you can gate to and from the stable to your boat which makes switching pets easy. On prodo it may be easy to get into the dungeons, on siege it isn't. Plus I tend to multi train, so I have a 1 slot beetle or hiryu working with a 4 slot pet, and a 2 slot working with a 3 slot and have multiple critters in training at once. I will take a 3 slot cu and work two a giant beetle and a fire beetle at level 1 with it etc. Plus you don't have to worry about other spawn etc.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah but the beauty of dread pirates, especially where I play on siege, is you can gate to and from the stable to your boat which makes switching pets easy. On prodo it may be easy to get into the dungeons, on siege it isn't. Plus I tend to multi train, so I have a 1 slot beetle or hiryu working with a 4 slot pet, and a 2 slot working with a 3 slot and have multiple critters in training at once. I will take a 3 slot cu and work two a giant beetle and a fire beetle at level 1 with it etc. Plus you don't have to worry about other spawn etc.
Just Garth and his cannons! :hahaha:

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Naaa Garth won't be gunning for me, plus, I have cannons on my boat too! Not to mention a couple of high hp vicious pets!

Allosaurs gave me 1.25 to 2.50 gains each time on the pet initially fighting it, any other pets from other players gained about .70 each gain. they take a while to kill. It took 3 of them to get my pet to 100% training

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Crazed mage is my go to, but can be annoying depending on the pet level once you’ve maxed out its Training percentage gained. I always bring an archer with me so so when it starting getting close I can just chain AI on him and drops quick enough.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Necro. But yes, i level my pets at the Allosaurus. I prefer the Allosaurus, because there's always 2 spawned in the swamps (which i drag one back to the Sakkhra Village), they give great gains, and the place isn't crowded (even on Atlantic), so you can get your pet to tank (which gives the most gains). The Crazed Mage tends to be overpacked (especially on Atlantic) so the odds of getting your pet to tank is low. Navrey is also packed, plus she dies so fast with that many pets on her and has a long respawn timer, not to mention the random jackasses that like to drop rocks on pets to kill them.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you have done a round and set resists you can use the mage and the Vortexs to get 4 25%s. Or whatever your pet level is.

Allosaurus is nice, you can put the training pet first and then get a whisper done with another pet that is killing it.