• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

house gone after I switched house

Faenwen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i took over another house with one of my accounts and after 3 days the old house is gone!!!
yesterday it was fairly and 2 hours ago when i loged in it was gone!!! i am so pissed .............
thought they said when you switch houses you have enough time!!!!!!!!!!!

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, when a house goes into decay, you have about two days before it poofs. It's been like this for awhile now. I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Faenwen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well one more account i wont pay anymore and give up.... when you don't pay the account its ok but switching a house on active accounts and the house poofs so fast thats **** sorry .... would be better they say you can't trade houses anymore as long as you have another house pft .... gosh i am pissed .... GM said : it was on the fast side ... why it was fairly yesterday late night and today gone he couldn't say ...

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
well one more account i wont pay anymore and give up.... when you don't pay the account its ok but switching a house on active accounts and the house poofs so fast thats **** sorry .... would be better they say you can't trade houses anymore as long as you have another house pft .... gosh i am pissed .... GM said : it was on the fast side ... why it was fairly yesterday late night and today gone he couldn't say ...
If you accept a house while you already have one, the house will be condemned and I'm pretty sure they drop in 3 days. It's an accelerated decay.

Pretty sure it has been this way for years.

Sorry to hear you lost the house though, that stinks.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i took over another house with one of my accounts and after 3 days the old house is gone!!!
yesterday it was fairly and 2 hours ago when i loged in it was gone!!! i am so pissed .............
House Ownership – 1. Placing a House – Ultima Online
Condemned Houses
Your house will become condemned under the following conditions:
If you place another house, except under the conditions referred to above. In this case the only way to prevent the house from falling is to trade it to another account.
If your account becomes inactive (ie not paid for). In this case there is a 90 day grace period after which the house will begin to decay. If the account is reactivated before the final stages of decay the house will refresh at the following server up.

Houses which are condemned do not fall immediately, they go into a decay cycle having 6 stages and taking five days in total. These stages are:

1. Like New
  2. Slightly Worn
  3. Somewhat Worn
  4. Fairly Worn
  5. Greatly Worn
  6. In Danger Of Collapsing

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I thought it was still 5 days. That seems a bit odd, maybe someone official could say if this was changed?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I thought it was still 5 days. That seems a bit odd, maybe someone official could say if this was changed?
It's supposed to be but like most everything in UO I would not trust it and why people wait till the last possible min to get this done is beyond me... you wanted your stuff you should have moved it as soon as possible after condemning the previous house. Why wait???

Takes roughly 20 min to pack even a castle... Even with a clutter of junk that I can put in ..... 20 min max. With the new retrieve feature on picking things up it's not even a worry or risk about someone coming and "taking" the stuff.

I'm sorry for your loss... but I just don't understand the waiting... You knew it was condemned.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yeah my husband moved everything out of his keep on the day it went condemned some weeks ago. I always feel it's best to get your stuff to safety as soon as possible, things have a habit of going horribly wrong around here! :oops:

Faenwen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why i didn't move the stuff? because i wamted to take it with another account and i thought its fine because it was fairly!!! how should i know that after being at the state fairly it will fall 8 hours later????
don't tell me its my fault that UO isn't playing fair and just drops houses whenever it wants! they mess up the housedecay and its my fault that I thought the decay states are still the way it goes!

1. Like New
  2. Slightly Worn
  3. Somewhat Worn
  4. Fairly Worn
  5. Greatly Worn
thats how it should be!!!!!!!!!

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Condemned Houses
If you place another house, except under the conditions referred to above. In this case the only way to prevent the house from falling is to trade it to another account.
If your account becomes inactive (ie not paid for). In this case there is a 90 day grace period after which the house will begin to decay. If the account is reactivated before the final stages of decay the house will refresh at the following server up.

Houses which are condemned do not fall immediately, they go into a decay cycle having 6 stages and taking five days in total. These stages are:

1. Like New
  2. Slightly Worn
  3. Somewhat Worn
  4. Fairly Worn
  5. Greatly Worn

You can throw that schedule in the trash lol. Very few of them follow that anymore.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The 3 day decay schedule has been very consistent and it has been this way for some time. If anyone has guides or advice posts to update please do so because I reiterate, this new schedule has been very consistent for some time. It is the current reality.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The 3 day decay schedule has been very consistent and it has been this way for some time. If anyone has guides or advice posts to update please do so because I reiterate, this new schedule has been very consistent for some time. It is the current reality.
*laughs*... No it hasn't been..... they just drop whenever... and QUICKLY.

But no I don't trust anything in UO anymore.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Perhaps at the end of the 90 days however sablestorm is quite correct. I switch house a lot. When you condemn a house by accepting or placing another you are on a 3 day cycle. As far as at the end of 90 days, that is anyones guess.

PaulCH

Journeyman
I'm sorry about the stuff that you lost and understand your frustration.

We have a similar post on Stratics every ~month. Unfortunately, most players come to Stratics after they have the problem rather than before. I recently placed a house on Siege. I got the dreaded IDOC warning because I have a house on a prodo shard (or maybe it's automatic not sure) so I posted on Stratics to be sure that placing my house on Siege wouldn't cause my prodo house to decay...

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
the 3 day drop has been there for a long time now.
its only for if your holding 2 houses at once to assist you in not holding them for very long.
but i can confirm its been like this for years, cause it was like this last time i moved and i havnt moved in a looooooooooooooooong time.

sucks that the OP lost his stuff.
they really should put the time on that gump when you transfer houses instead of just that generic warning.
a "you've got 72 hours to dump this house!" would be helpful splashed right across the top of the gump, no.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

Yes 3 days has been the norm. Don't recall how long it's been this way.

Unfortunately for wikis they're only as accurate as the person entering the information.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry about the stuff that you lost and understand your frustration.

We have a similar post on Stratics every ~month. Unfortunately, most players come to Stratics after they have the problem rather than before. I recently placed a house on Siege. I got the dreaded IDOC warning because I have a house on a prodo shard (or maybe it's automatic not sure) so I posted on Stratics to be sure that placing my house on Siege wouldn't cause my prodo house to decay...
What was the reply?

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
I am sorry to say this, but, Dont trust the "rules", Used to be 5 days between all stages, But we all know, We ALL know, that after a major (mandatory) patch, things dont go the way they are supposed to.
I dont trust 2 days when you have to switch between accounts or anything and If it is a house that is really important to you, I wouldn't wait 1 day.
a friend of my @showtime Just bought a castle and his Fel New Magincia that He bought from @Aeko collapsed after 4 days while He was moving.

I normally dont do anything major when we have a new patch, specially decorate a house or load vendors, a lot of times we have to face some reverts and all the time that you put in, would be wasted :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am sorry to say this, but, Dont trust the "rules", Used to be 5 days between all stages, But we all know, We ALL know, that after a major (mandatory) patch, things dont go the way they are supposed to.
I dont trust 2 days when you have to switch between accounts or anything and If it is a house that is really important to you, I wouldn't wait 1 day.
a friend of my @showtime Just bought a castle and his Fel New Magincia that He bought from @Aeko collapsed after 4 days while He was moving.

I normally dont do anything major when we have a new patch, specially decorate a house or load vendors, a lot of times we have to face some reverts and all the time that you put in, would be wasted :)
:twak: Quit using common sense.

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aloha!

Some of you guys say its been the norm for years now but I have only recently experienced this 3 day decay. We use to be professional IDOC's for nearly 12 years, we stopped about 6 years go.

Common Knowledge -

When asking other players in General Chat on Atlantic with the exception of 1 person, they said it was 5 days. So 3 days its not common knowledge as we would be lead to believe.

This past week -

I just lost a Luna house and my Hythloth house. The Hythloth house was PACKED with server up rares, event rares, very old holiday gifts, tokens etc. All because I wanted an Abyss house on a certain account.

Well we got the house in the Abyss, lost our Luna house then fortunately were able to place again, we also lost our Hythloth and placed again but we lost all items.

I am very sorry for anyone that has experienced this and think it needs to be more clear in the warning pop up menu when placing or trading a house. We should get a message when placing or trading a house that your other house will decay in X amount of days. We do get a warning but we dont get the duration of time and its only a little bit more text.

The house we received that started the down fall of 2 houses.

Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 5.18.43 PM.png

This Luna house was ours, it fell.. we lucky placed again - Believe me its insane when you log in and your house is gone and you been looted. Lucky for us no one was able to place due to the housing place timers.
Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 4.42.37 PM.png

Then when we replaced the Luna house this one went into condemned mode and fell as well..... Access to this area is very hard to get to so we were able to get the spot back but not the items we have been collecting for nearly 20 years..... :'(
Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 4.39.42 PM.png

This was caused by a house account swapping, we were not placing a house. Not everyone is placing a new house some folks are just moving them from one account to another account.

Anyhow hope someone reading this thread will find it helpful.

We wish you good fortune in the battles to come.
Frederick
Leoric

Last edited:

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having played UO since 1997 .. I now err on the side of Paranoia .. I make sure homes are secure & recheck .. rather that than have a falling ...
Been there in the position of loosing home ...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
omg .. no way I could do that in 20 min .. rotfl .. no way but awesomess for your speed !!
I have moved from house to house probably 40 times in my UO life... I have gotten several new houses, new accounts and such, upgraded, swapped, updated, even expanded several times... Perhaps it's an art... but honestly I had a very heavily decorated Castle and managed to strip it bare in no time.

I think most people put too much into getting the things put away at the new place... and that's what takes so long... but really I always figure making sure everything is "safe and secure" is FAR more important that having a place for everything and having everything in it's place as I move... I figure I got all the time in the world to rearrange the house after I move in... I got precious little time to be certain that my old house is empty and I want my money back so unless I'm selling it..... (AT which time I HIGHLY recommend being in the EC and using Ctrl+Shift to make sure everything is out as well as checking the house sign and making certain it's all zero'd out)... then I go at it as soon as I can as I know if I bought a home I would want to be in it very soon...

If I'm dropping the house anything I left will fall when I drop it and I always drop it and get my money back.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Aloha!

Some of you guys say its been the norm for years now but I have only recently experienced this 3 day decay. We use to be professional IDOC's for nearly 12 years, we stopped about 6 years go.

Common Knowledge -

When asking other players in General Chat on Atlantic with the exception of 1 person, they said it was 5 days. So 3 days its not common knowledge as we would be lead to believe.

This past week -

I just lost a Luna house and my Hythloth house. The Hythloth house was PACKED with server up rares, event rares, very old holiday gifts, tokens etc. All because I wanted an Abyss house on a certain account.

Well we got the house in the Abyss, lost our Luna house then fortunately were able to place again, we also lost our Hythloth and placed again but we lost all items.

I am very sorry for anyone that has experienced this and think it needs to be more clear in the warning pop up menu when placing or trading a house. We should get a message when placing or trading a house that your other house will decay in X amount of days. We do get a warning but we dont get the duration of time and its only a little bit more text.

The house we received that started the down fall of 2 houses.

View attachment 65131

This Luna house was ours, it fell.. we lucky placed again - Believe me its insane when you log in and your house is gone and you been looted. Lucky for us no one was able to place due to the housing place timers.
View attachment 65130

Then when we replaced the Luna house this one went into condemned mode and fell as well..... Access to this area is very hard to get to so we were able to get the spot back but not the items we have been collecting for nearly 20 years..... :'(
View attachment 65129

This was caused by a house account swapping, we were not placing a house. Not everyone is placing a new house some folks are just moving them from one account to another account.

Anyhow hope someone reading this thread will find it helpful.

We wish you good fortune in the battles to come.
Frederick
Leoric
LOL

You condemned TWO houses to get a third and just sit back and let them fall?!?

That's hilarious! :lol:

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL

You condemned TWO houses to get a third and just sit back and let them fall?!?

That's hilarious! :lol:
Im thinking either you didn't read my post or it was not clear and for that I'm sorry. I will try to clear it up -

Based on previous personal experience and the official UO position on house decay timers, I was under the impression (like the original poster) all house decay is on a 5 day timer (which is the point of this thread). I have not found any information or patch notes saying they changed the timing for house decay. It could be that I over looked it but I'm not seeing anyone in this thread saying "read here" about the house decay update. It was because of that experience I didn't bother to check it at 2.5 days into the decay cycle. Again sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

When the Luna house fell I was not there to see it fall, a friend texted me and said the house has fell. In shock, quickly logged in with a couple accounts to place. The account that ended up placing was the account with the Hythloth house on it. I'm sure you know this, when trying to get a house location others are also trying for its best to run several accounts as the house placing tool can give you a time out. So anyhow, when the Luna house fell I was like.... what the heck! did 5 days really pass. Then at 2.5 days later when the Hythloth went down I then realized something has changed. Of course it was to late.

Costly error, I hope no one here ever has to experience this.

Thanks Piotr for asking the question about - sitting back and let them fall. Hope this response brings clarity to anyone else that didn't follow my previous post.

Be blessed in all your adventurers!
Frederick
Leoric

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Based on previous personal experience and the official UO position on house decay timers, I was under the impression (like the original poster) all house decay is on a 5 day timer
And if you DO read the WARNING and click the blue condemn it says 2 days!

Yes, the Codex of Wisdom is way outdated, but why ignore it altogether?

CodexOfWisdom.jpg

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And if you DO read the WARNING and click the blue condemn it says 2 days!

Yes, the Codex of Wisdom is way outdated, but why ignore it altogether?

View attachment 65147
Good find! Thanks for sharing.

The outdated Codex of Wisdom says 2 days, folks are getting 3 days 5 days which means the Codex of Wisdom is... correct? I don't think it makes your point valid it does the opposite. Are we to say follow the Codex of Wisdom over the website? Its nice to have a hyperlink in the tool WARNING text but that information is not accurate either. Seems to me both the Codex of Wisdom and the website have shortcomings.

Perhaps we can find some common ground. Do you agree that information should be consistent in the tool WARNING and the uo.com website?

Thank you again for sharing! Good find!

Be blessed,
Frederick
Leoric

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Perhaps we can find some common ground. Do you agree that information should be consistent in the tool WARNING and the uo.com website?
Good find? I didn't "find" anything. The warning, the link and the Codex of Wisdom have said the same for at least 18 years. I have lived by that rule since 1999 and never lost a single pixel. :wink:

I actually prefer to empty/demolish the old house before I place a new one. It's better to be safe than sorry. :smile2:

But yes, the information should be the same in both places.

I have not found any information or patch notes saying they changed the timing for house decay.
Me neither, yet. However, it was apparently changed to 5 hours in July 2002, with Pub. 16.

• Acquiring a new house will put all other houses owned by that account on any shard into condemned status, meaning they cannot be refreshed and will decay within 5 days.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Condemned Houses

1. Like New
  2. Slightly Worn
  3. Somewhat Worn
  4. Fairly Worn
  5. Greatly Worn
If I remember right, some of the stages have variable times. Not 24 hours, but "8 to 24 hours". So if you get unlucky, and hit all the 8's, you can lose a couple days instead of 5; it's happened to me too. :p

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I remember right, some of the stages have variable times. Not 24 hours, but "8 to 24 hours". So if you get unlucky, and hit all the 8's, you can lose a couple days instead of 5; it's happened to me too. :p
The only stage that I know that can vary is the final IDOC stage. But who knows now a days.

Be blessed in all your adventures,
Frederick
Leoric

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good find? I didn't "find" anything. The warning, the link and the Codex of Wisdom have said the same for at least 18 years. I have lived by that rule since 1999 and never lost a single pixel. :wink:
18 years? Awesome, I remember using deeds in 97/98 and up till I think 2003 to place homes and I don't recall the warning at all back then or a Code of Wisdom. :) It very well could have been in game back then, I just don't remember it.

It's better to be safe than sorry. :smile2:
I couldn't agree with you more. In retrospect, this could have been avoided if I just activated one of my deactivated accounts...

Me neither, yet. However, it was apparently changed to 5 hours in July 2002, with Pub. 16.

• Acquiring a new house will put all other houses owned by that account on any shard into condemned status, meaning they cannot be refreshed and will decay within 5 days.
I think you meant 5 days? You posted 5 hours but the publish notes 16 you quote says 5 days.

From the website -

1. Like New
  2. Slightly Worn
  3. Somewhat Worn
  4. Fairly Worn
  5. Greatly Worn
I have personally found that the IDOC status last from 8-16 hours (no vendors). Which could mean the like new status is about 8-12 hours?

But yes, the information should be the same in both places.
I emailed support and Bonie. Bonie kindly responded - I am so sorry, but I have forwarded this to Bleak to review it.

What a kind response from her Ladyship , much more sympathetic then what some folks post here. It also point out that this needs further investing. I realize their is nothing they can do for me personally but they can update the Codex of Wisdom, the House Placement Tool WARNING and the website to have full cohesion.

Hope this response and information was helpful.
Frederick
Leoric

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
18 years? Awesome, I remember using deeds in 97/98 and up till I think 2003 to place homes and I don't recall the warning at all back then or a Code of Wisdom. :) It very well could have been in game back then, I just don't remember it.
Well, we got the warning gump in April 2000, with Publish 5. I can't see the Codex of Wisdom mentioned anywhere though.

Players will only be allowed to own one house per account on each shard. The system will not be retroactive and current house owners will not be forced to redeed houses if they have more than one. For accounts that already own more than one house, the system works in the following manner:

• When you successfully find a proper location to place a house, a window will appear before you place the house.
    • The window will tell you that if you place this new house, all of your other houses on that shard will not be refreshable.
      • If you select “ok” the house will be placed and your other houses will be marked as “condemned”.
      • All of your condemned houses will be refreshed automatically. This will give you the full amount of time (approximately 10 days) to move your items to the new house.
      • You will not be able to refresh a condemned house.
      • You will still be able to enter your other houses, redeed them, and/or transfer them to another player.
  • After placing a house, you will not be able to place another house for 10 days.
Accepting transfer of a house while owning other houses will cause the houses to be marked as "condemed".
I made my first fortune after that publish, by placing and selling Small Stone Towers. Even the ones I mannaged to place behind Yew trees, were selling like hot cakes for 250.000 - 350.000 gp. The deed cost around 88.000 gp. :smile2:

The notes to this publish say 10 days, which only adds to the confusion. :confused2:

And yes, we used deeds up till February 2003, when AoS was launched.

I think you meant 5 days? You posted 5 hours but the publish notes 16 you quote says 5 days.
Yes... oops. :tongue:

Hope this response and information was helpful.
Indeed. Good to know that they'll take a look at it now. :smile2: