• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I know why UO is Dying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardy-

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh god , People who try to sugarcoat freeservers and try to make it sound all Good and perfect, please spare me.

I have "worked" as staff on many of the huge freeservers that have been around over the last 15 years, and People play there for two reasons. Its Free and its easy. But it never last because it gets boring fast. EA:UO doesnt.

Freeservers are FULL off corruption where power is abused, People cheat hack script and such without limits.

No, efter all this time i have learnt that freeservers is a huge waste of time, if i want to pvp i go play CS.
Not everyone like the same as you, compare cs pvp to uo pvp doesn't make sense.
People cheat hack script and such without limits on prod servers too, the same 3rd party program that work on freeservers work on osi too, is more common dupe exploits in prod server then freeserver for example due structure of the prodserver. Some guys spam selling sites in the atlantic bank 24h/7 and still there, a lot of players use speedhack where it work better then free-servers because outdated structure of the official shards.

I think you don't play on osi at all (doesn't go pvm, or pvp, or trade items) and don't have an idea of the free-servers with new architecture c# framework 4.0 64bit servers, or mono64 servers. Again i think you don't "worked" on any huge server, the real "huge" servers are all with 10+ years online without close, or without dupe problems, or reverts.

And i can say, osi actually is more easy then the most of the "huge" servers, since here you can just log, but 5 plat for 0.10-0.14$ usd each mil, make a full legendary char, buy all ps's, transcedence(don't need even train skills), some free servers if you donate 1kusd+ you only receive hued items, cosmetic uses, and maybe one or another useful item, and if a staff see anyone trying sell items for $, they simple ban the player and remove all linked items, the item for cash commerce on official server actually are very more easy to buy and cheap, and without near any risk of getting punished, then freeservers.

Some well know players of this forum and of uo in general, are gold sellers some players here that play since 2001-2002 and with 3k+ posts are gold and rare sellers, so broadsword know they, know what they are doing, and nothing change, while that, try sell gold or items for money, in any uo server with a huge playerbase and online for 4+ years, you will get ban in less then 24h.

When we say free-servers, at least i'm saying about the servers with 4+ years, a server (i can't post name here) is online with the same "save" has 12 years, free-servers are this, not the emulator you run on your home that stay online for 2 - 3 months.

an example:

A server online right now

Cur: 933
Avg: 726
Max: 18916
Uptime: 99.15%

I guess 99.15% uptime is better then official server, and 900+ players idk if we have more then 3 prod servers with this population.

Last edited:

Arradin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not everyone like the same as you, compare cs pvp to uo pvp doesn't make sense.
People cheat hack script and such without limits on prod servers too, the same 3rd party program that work on freeservers work on osi too, is more common dupe exploits in prod server then freeserver for example due structure of the prodserver. Some guys spam selling sites in the atlantic bank 24h/7 and still there, a lot of players use speedhack where it work better then free-servers because outdated structure of the official shards.

I think you don't play on osi at all (doesn't go pvm, or pvp, or trade items) and don't have an idea of the free-servers with new architecture c# framework 4.0 64bit servers, or mono64 servers. Again i think you don't "worked" on any huge server, the real "huge" servers are all with 10+ years online without close, or without dupe problems, or reverts.

And i can say, osi actually is more easy then the most of the "huge" servers, since here you can just log, but 5 plat for 0.10-0.14$ usd each mil, make a full legendary char, buy all ps's, transcedence(don't need even train skills), some free servers if you donate 1kusd+ you only receive hued items, cosmetic uses, and maybe one or another useful item, and if a staff see anyone trying sell items for $, they simple ban the player and remove all linked items, the item for cash commerce on official server actually are very more easy to buy and cheap, and without near any risk of getting punished, then freeservers.

Some well know players of this forum and of uo in general, are gold sellers some players here that play since 2001-2002 and with 3k+ posts are gold and rare sellers, so broadsword know they, know what they are doing, and nothing change, while that, try sell gold or items for money, in any uo server with a huge playerbase and online for 4+ years, you will get ban in less then 24h.

When we say free-servers, at least i'm saying about the servers with 4+ years, a server (i can't post name here) is online with the same "save" has 12 years, free-servers are this, not the emulator you run on your home that stay online for 2 - 3 months.

an example:

A server online right now

Cur: 933
Avg: 726
Max: 18916
Uptime: 99.15%

I guess 99.15% uptime is better then official server, and 900+ players idk if we have more then 3 prod servers with this population.
You dont have any clue what you are talking about. None at all.

You are just here to promote freeservers, Most People are smart enough to see thru it.

I say to everyone who even consider freeservers over official Ones - it isnt worth your time.

Oh and People claim UO has been dying since 2000 ( trammel ) , yet here we are 17 years later.

hardy-

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You dont have any clue what you are talking about. None at all.

You are just here to promote freeservers, Most People are smart enough to see thru it.

I say to everyone who even consider freeservers over official Ones - it isnt worth your time.

Oh and People claim UO has been dying since 2000 ( trammel ) , yet here we are 17 years later.
I don't have clue? about what exactly?

3rd party programs don't work on prod servers? just google, since i cant post names or links here
Engines that make you run "faster" on prod servers? just google, since i cant post names or links here
Players selling items for money on prod servers? just look some icq's on trade forum and see, or better just log on atl right now and look general channel

I play on atl since 2001, and had tried a lot of freeservers since 2000, i know uo because i found a freeserver in my country then, i looked for something with more players and found the official game, and the server i first started still exist (but had a reset near 7 years ago)

Official Server is always better, for any us resident doesn't make sense play on a private server (other than enjoy another community, or UO Era (pre-t2a servers and such)), i love the atual state of the game, i love ToL, i liked the new pet revamp(some freeservers did a pet revamp some years ago, but it doesn't matter) my only 3 problems with osi against freeservers atm are:

- Latency
- Price (15usd each account + patches(expansions) is a little expensive for a new player try the game)
- A new Player experience (how i can introduce new players into atual state of the game, i can't even talk to the player, look on the uo.com site for info, i need tell to the player go to a unofficial site guide, if he need any info of the game)(how can i explain to a random guy (to play you need buy uosa + uotol + uohs + some packs, and in your country store you can't buy all, you need ask a friend for another country to buy, or hire a proxy)

I just hope broadsword try at least fix 2 of the 3 points, then i will be a happy guy, and recommend the game to friends, and stream this in place of lol, or other games.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Made me laugh too.
I just thought of a certain current "Boss" of UO and her preferential treatment of a select few in-game who can even get their Castle protected when they screw up the 3 month timer.
Or how about the Fel Yew gate house that was placed, and after revert..was "replaced". Probably because it was already sold for 2k..

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok i will post my 2 cent as a "shard owner"

Idk if i can post this here but let's:

Actually i "run" a "freeshard" we are online have years, i support official ultima online server, i love uo simple as that.

Let me tell why players play on freeserver in place of "osi" , at least was what my friends tell me, and i experience everyday.

1st and MOST IMPORTANT, latency, is IMPOSSIBLE to a brazilian player (my case) for example play pvp in osi on ANY server actually, because the latency due regional distance, I have characters on Legends, on Atlantic, i have invested over 10plat in my character, but i simple can't compete against a player casting 3 times faster then me, because he ping 30ms and i ping 230ms.
2nd a staff more next to the players (players like be listen, and like answers) simple as that, players like when need help send a page and a gamemaster who knows the game reply you in 5 minutes, and have a good time chatting and giving tips, its the new player experience that have on free-servers and lack on official one.
3rd events, some servers have events (pvp, pvm, rpg, raffles) every 2 - 3 days, gm come talk with players, organize pvp events, and this type of interaction, event is something with contact and a event that players want, not just a story that we need follow for months, to win deco items while sitting with our gd looking the pain.
4rd price, actually 15usd for a month is too much for a game where you usually have 3 - 4 accounts, if you like pvp you need have 3 accounts because you will want do an harrower with a pvm and let a pvp afk in the spot, if the pvp fight start in the middle of the encounter because you wont will have 5+ minutes to switch char, if you do that you lose the spawn. so it isn't 15usd its 30-50usd usually
5rd Is so hard start play on a official server atm, you need buy, UOSA, UOHS, UOTOL, Rustic, kings theme, gametime, you need look for a lot of items that are expensive ( a new player need 200usd to get started on uo let`s be honest), while on a free-server you install the game, patch until last version, install uoassist or any 3rd party tool, hit start and play, and if you have any question just go to the site or facebook of the server and you will find answers.

some servers have 700+ online players, so its not all that small, and some servers are online haver 10+ years, without any revert, so players don`t lost nothing in the last 10 years.

I tried work with broadsword more then once, and i will be happy in close a regional server, when uo open a server in my country, and i will be glad in help any player from my country in get started on osi, but while it doesn't happen the kids still playing the most near a real uo experience they can have.

If you only want sitbank, or rpg, latency, account-price, bureaucracy to get started doesn't matter, but if you want stream the game(like i like do), want go pvp, want go high end pvm without try smash your keyboard every 2 minutes, is impossible play the game with 180-350ms, without any support or help of the staff team.

The atual freeshards don't change any of the UO EA property code, then don't run any ea emulator, we have 5 or 6 emulators of the game, where the PLAYER change the login.cfg to put the ip address of the server to log on the private(pirate) server. So i think won't will be easy do ea or broadsword close a server, since they are not using any ea property, the player witch mod their client to play on the emulator is the one against uo tos.

Free-shards are doing a favor to ea, promoting the game, since you can find more videos and streams in internet from free-shard player then from official players, since you can find more paid advertise, in facebook, twitter and such from free-servers then from EA:UO,

An free server some months ago did a pvp event with 1000usd ins prizes , and invested over 5000usd in advertise on facebook campaigns, hired staffs and such, when you saw an announcement of EA:UO in facebook, or anywhere?

A group of developers are making an whole new client to work with emulators a REAL 3d one, and the player can select if he want use 2d, enchanted, kr, or the new client. (yeah all the clients working at same time on a server) and here we can't even have a high res client...

(ps, i edited some wrong typos (i hate my autocomplete)
Thank you for the insight and information. Personally I just don't care much for freeshards, however they still wouldn't be around if they were all crooked.

Oh god , People who try to sugarcoat freeservers and try to make it sound all Good and perfect, please spare me.

I have "worked" as staff on many of the huge freeservers that have been around over the last 15 years, and People play there for two reasons. Its Free and its easy. But it never last because it gets boring fast. EA:UO doesnt.

Freeservers are FULL off corruption where power is abused, People cheat hack script and such without limits.

No, efter all this time i have learnt that freeservers is a huge waste of time, if i want to pvp i go play CS.
Unlikely that they are all crooks. You don't stay open as long as some of them have been by being total assclowns.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Slayvite How about stupid threads like this that people think about joining UO read this **** and say hell no. Threads like these do more harm than good and if you hate UO so bad why the hell are you even playing it?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Slayvite How about stupid threads like this that people think about joining UO read this **** and say hell no. Threads like these do more harm than good and if you hate UO so bad why the hell are you even playing it?
Who said I hate it?
I hate the fact that they blatantly allow these cheap knock-offs to continue and get stronger.
I hate the fact that EA don't give 2 fecks about this game,
I hate the fact that gold seller sites are allowed to exist and profit while Broadsword struggle by on a shoestring budget.

But no, I wont bury my head in the sand and pretend everything is good.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Avoiding uncomfortable issues or, god forbid, censoring them does orders of magnitude more harm then addressing them

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Avoiding uncomfortable issues or, god forbid, censoring them does orders of magnitude more harm then addressing them
So if I am looking for a game to play and alls I read is **** like this do you really think I am going to spend my hard earned cash on it, let me answer it for you, HELL NO.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So if I am looking for a game to play and alls I read is **** like this do you really think I am going to spend my hard earned cash on it, let me answer it for you, HELL NO.
If that's all you read is negative, then you should not. However, most good games including UO have plenty of good posts along with some critical ones. I dare you to find a single game where everything you hear is positive. It does not exist.
Negative posts serve a useful purpose, namely to bring attention of the devs to areas that need it.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just stumbled upon something interesting that relates to this topic...

This is from a Reddit "Ask me anything" hosted by Richard Garriott (creator of UO) about 6 months ago. Someone asked him his opinion of UO free shards. It's a verified account, not someone who was impersonating him.

Untitled.png

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If that's all you read is negative, then you should not. However, most good games including UO have plenty of good posts along with some critical ones. I dare you to find a single game where everything you hear is positive. It does not exist.
Negative posts serve a useful purpose, namely to bring attention of the devs to areas that need it.
Unlike you I read ALL info and do not glass over the NEG like you do. It is obvious you have never been in charge of or run you own business. There is a saying that one ohcake overrides 1000 attaboys and the same holds true for one bad report/review to a business.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unlike you I read ALL info and do not glass over the NEG like you do. It is obvious you have never been in charge of or run you own business. There is a saying that one ohcake overrides 1000 attaboys and the same holds true for one bad report/review to a business.
And you are making the assumption about my reading habits based on... your own fantasies?

But back to the topic - there is not a single MMO out there with 100% positive reviews. And if there was I'd be concerned about censorship. So criticism is normal and expected. By your rationale, developers can release an absolute turd, and you what, would try to convince players to only speak in glowing tones about the game? Because god forbid, negative opinions might prevent somebody from logging in and finding out that it's a turd for themselves?
Constructive criticism is a valuable tool that is essential to improving the product.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And you are making the assumption about my reading habits or my career based on... your own fantasies?

But back to the topic - there is not a single MMO out there with 100% positive reviews. And if there was I'd be concerned about censorship. So criticism is normal and expected. By your rationale, developers can release an absolute turd, and you what, would try to convince players to only speak in glowing tones about the game? Because god forbid, negative opinions might prevent somebody from logging in and finding out that it's a turd for themselves?
Constructive criticism is a valuable tool that is essential to improving the product.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And you are making the assumption about my reading habits based on... your own fantasies?

And please pray tell us where it this CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM at, do you even know what it is. Go live and work in the REAL WORLD and when you get some experience then come tell about all this good stuff in this thread.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And please pray tell us where it this CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM at, do you even know what it is. Go live and work in the REAL WORLD and when you get some experience then come tell about all this good stuff in this thread.
Where do I send you to get some reading comprehension? Because apparently you rich experience in the REAL WORLD did not gain you any. These forums are filled with constructive criticisms where people point out problems as they see them and suggest solutions. But as seem to be incapable of understanding it, I can point out an example of not so constructive criticism. It's complaining about an occasional negative post on the forums without any suggestions of what to do about them or any thought of the consequences.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where do I send you to get some reading comprehension? Because apparently you rich experience in the REAL WORLD did not gain you any. These forums are filled with constructive criticisms where people point out problems as they see them and suggest solutions. But as seem to be incapable of understanding it, I can point out an example of not so constructive criticism. It's complaining about an occasional negative post on the forums without any suggestions of what to do about them or any thought of the consequences.
Varieties of criticism - Wikipedia

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the Moderators can go ahead and close this thread now.
It's been de-railed into the "personal attacks off topic" siding.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Locking thread as it's derailing into personal attacks and insults, UO is still alive and well #FTW :D

Status
Not open for further replies.